• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, I review-bombed my first game! (Elden Ring DLC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
You have the option to play something else. It's entertainment, not a human right.

Yeah....not every game is for everyone. I don't play Souls games because I'm just not good at them and don't enjoy them. But my son loves Souls games. I remember years ago after I tried the first Dark Souls and I said "this game needs an easy mode". He was around 14 at the time. He looked right at me, incredulous, and said "that would ruin the game". The games never did click for me, but that's fine. I'd rather he and others get what they love out of these games. Like you said, I can easily find something else to play.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
The camera is what drives me insane. Some of these big ass dragon bosses are just one shotting me, but I cant even tell whats happening.

I didnt know I was supposed to dodge something because the camera is upside down zoomed in on my asshole and spazzing around in circles.

Thank god though the biggest offenders have been optional bosses so far.

proandrad

Review bombing a game like Elden Ring because it's "too hard" is peak gamer stupidity. It's a RPG, your current build and weapon choices are making the new content harder. The DLC isn't even a week old, the meta has changed. Everyday new builds will be coming out that make encounters easier, good weapons will get nerfed and bad weapons buffed. The game will probably receive several balance changes in the incoming months. God forbid you can't instantly no life a game for 3 days and beat it. Elden Ring is as much a multiplayer game as it is single player and multiplayer games are never balanced week one.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think he’s saying he’s not talented enough to create options for more players.

Double standards around here when it comes to a developers view on their game.

Pretty sure he's politely saying "This is the game I wanted to make, so you can either roll with it or fuck off".

Everybody's always yapping about artistic freedom and letting creators make what they want, but then start whining when someone does exactly that. Besides, this is their 6th game. If you still don't understand what this game is or if you still desperately want this game to be something it's not, then that's a you problem.

Valt7786

I don’t get this real life reference. You’ll probably spend more time getting better at a multiplayer shooter than getting good in a souls game.

This, what is with people saying "I dont have time". Even if you're only allowed to play 2 hours a night, the game isnt going anywhere and it'll just last you much longer?

JCK75

I went into this wisely.. I started a new game about a week or so ago.. beat everything except the final boss... went into this high level and first playthrough so it's not terribly brutal yet..

Kamina

Golden Boy
On top of being maidenless
7f9m1k.jpg

tommib

Jfc, just summon other people. You’ll eventually get some super high skilled player who’ll help tremendously. These are co-op games.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You guys are falling for it, again:

I’m going to abuse the eff out of summons and spirit ash.

My days of giving a sheet of whether I can “solo” it or not for nothing but bragging rights on the internet are long gone.
Pretty much yeah, I did solo all of Sekiro after all so dont really care for internet points now. Anyways, ER was made with spirit ashes in mind. Its why the combos are long and these bosses will chase you down if you back away to heal.

Raven117

Pretty much yeah, I did solo all of Sekiro after all so dont really care for internet points now. Anyways, ER was made with spirit ashes in mind. Its why the combos are long and these bosses will chase you down if you back away to heal.
Yup. Did the same. If from gives me the tool, I’m going to use it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Seeing everyone freaking out about the difficulty this week has me wondering what casuals think of savage and ultimate raiding in ff14.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Historically, all Souls and the Bloodborne DLC was considered hard as fuck. I don’t get the frustration. I guess now its not just “Git Gud” but maybe “Git Better?”

It’s like everyone’s balls dropped off on Friday. Like you forgot. Or see above.

All of their DLC is disgustingly punishing.

I don't doubt a lot of those who say this is too hard are also the ones that said "the game is too easy if you are above lv150."

real talk: the scardutree blessings matters a lot more than levels. And the bosses in the DLC are generally much more aggressive. Some will punish you right away as soon as you step into the boss room. If you have been cheesing with comet azur with a full mage build in the base game, this is not going to work in the DLC. Of the ones I've encountered so far, there is one that seem to have a stupid hitbox or rather, it's impossible to fight him without torrent.

bender

What time is it?
I review bombed Elden Ring today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the difficulty
The only thing that's real
Miyazaki's needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything
What have I become?
My Elden friend
Everyone I know gets good
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt
I wrote this thread of shame
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stains of time
Summon signs disappear
You are someone else
I'm still right here
What have I become?
My Eden friend
Everyone I know gets good
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt
If I could start again
A million runes lost
I would keep myself
I would find a way

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
I'm not done with it but so far I haven't found it THAT hard.
Some of the bosses can be quite crazy if you want to beat them completely solo since they are fast, very aggressive, hit like a truck and have a fair amount of HP too.
But so far nothing has seemed that intense if you are willing to use the tools the game provides to make it easier (mainly spirit ashes and player summons)

Nydius

Personally don't care how people enjoy their single player games
I absolutely agree with you. If someone wants to be ridiculously overpowered in their single player game, it doesn’t affect how I play in the slightest.

That said, I have a lot of respect for a developer who says “you know what, this game is going to be punishingly hard because that’s our design goal” and sticks to their guns in the face of criticism.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I'm way too exhausted and perpetually stressed to deal with hard mode these days, so I usually play stuff on story or easy.

But I would never expect every game to have that. I think it's absurd to demand anything from a creative endeavor. Does that mean I'll miss out on things like Eldin Ring? Sure, but that's okay.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Play something else as your first game, get to Elden Ring and its DLC later when you've gotten used to the controller layout and common game interfaces and control schemes and such, I can see how it may be a bit too much for a first timer who's never played any video games before, that's alright.

Last edited:

Varteras

I'm way too exhausted and perpetually stressed to deal with hard mode these days, so I usually play stuff on story or easy.

But I would never expect every game to have that. I think it's absurd to demand anything from a creative endeavor. Does that mean I'll miss out on things like Eldin Ring? Sure, but that's okay.

Great mentality to have. But something a lot of people miss is that much of the game's difficulty comes down to build. What weapons and/or spells are you using? Do you have the right stats for it? Did you get the timings for it down?

Even a writer on PC Gamer made this DLC a cakewalk because they had a Blasphemous Blade build from the base game. There were other builds in the base game people used to cheese it. Like some of the bosses I killed using a rot spell. Eat my ass, Radahn. I'm not too proud.

Basically, the game DOES have difficulty options. That depend on HOW you play the game.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with you. If someone wants to be ridiculously overpowered in their single player game, it doesn’t affect how I play in the slightest.

That said, I have a lot of respect for a developer who says “you know what, this game is going to be punishingly hard because that’s our design goal” and sticks to their guns in the face of criticism.
Yeah luckily for PC players there are some mods out there for about everything

I too respect someones vision of how they want their content consumed but I rarely fit in that box of "Oh this is how that film maker/game dev WANTS me to consume his product so I will do it that way"

I don't remember the details but I think it was Phil saying Starfield at 30 fps was a creative choice (to keep fidelity or some crap) but even on my slightly lower spec PC I enjoyed it much more at higher frames with lower fidelity

I just think its nice to give people the choice is all.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Great mentality to have. But something a lot of people miss is that much of the game's difficulty comes down to build. What weapons and/or spells are you using? Do you have the right stats for it? Did you get the timings for it down?

Even a writer on PC Gamer made this DLC a cakewalk because they had a Blasphemous Blade build from the base game. There were other builds in the base game people used to cheese it. Like some of the bosses I killed using a rot spell. Eat my ass, Radahn. I'm not too proud.

Basically, the game DOES have difficulty options. That depend on HOW you play the game.
I hear that. But I guess at the end of the day, at least for the original game I wasn't willing to put in the work to developing a build. I remember grinding for 10 hours early on because I had fucked up initially and started working towards a new one.

With those10 hours I could have:

- Drove my wife to the mountains and stayed overnight
- Written a chapter in my novel I'm working on
- Planned a DND session
- Learned a new song on piano
- Two weeks worth of exercise at the gym.
- Worked 1.25 shifts of overtime

More power to those who are willing to do the work. I've heard the game is super rewarding. But i just can't do it anymore.

While the DLC is a 10/10, it is just too hard. I have a life outside of video games and I don’t have time to keep replaying the same boss over and over again.

We need an easy mode for Elden Ring and it’s DLC.
No then the game is not for you! Play something Else the makers of This game made it exactly like that.Why should Bentley lower their prices only because you can’t afford it buy a fiat panda.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm 100% team "let creators create what they want to create" and I'll then decide if I want to invest in it.

I'm ok with everything not being for me though.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

I've beaten all the From Software soulslike games but the complaints about this DLC difficulty are stopping me from buying it at this point.

It's the same difficulty as ALL of the other From Soft DLC's. It's just getting more attention because it's Elden Ring, a game with a much wider audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom