• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

ReiGun

I think the Showa Riders are better adapted as movies while the Heisei Riders are better as TV shows. I base this mainly on The First and how I think the Showa Riders simpler designs and concepts make an easier transition to film. On the flip, I don't know how you condense, say, Gaim or Faiz down to a 2 hour movie.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh yeah apparently Ninninger (oh god I kept typing that as Ninniger before) is 810p. I wonder why they can't make a 1080p tho.

Boss Doggie

Wow, the mecha fight is already back to form like in GoBusters (and no, fuck you Kyoryuger has bad mecha fights). I guess having a red "main mecha" helps a lot.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm surprised too. The First showed it could work.

8jjP16p.gif

I was wondering why I never saw "The First". Turns out I can only find T-N releases of it, which is probably why.

vareon

I love the First suits. I'm not sure they've lost anything but their pudgy looks.

tumblr_nfh06g8gqI1t09s5jo1_500.jpg

to
the+next.jpg

I loved First/Next's designs except V3's helmet. He looks so sad :(

He probably looked like that because he knows his film is somehow being made into a shitty horror movie.

Boss Doggie

Wait, so how come 4 has his own movie while 3 doesn't?

Literally no one praises Kyoryuger for its mech fights.

Yeah no I remember someone posting "it has good, if not better, mech fights than GoBuster!" here.

I remember cause I replied to it and any GB shitposting back in this thread when Kyoryuger was new.

Corgi

Banned
goBusters has the best mecha fights in sentai. period.

Because they actually matter to the story and aren't just to sell toys.

I loved First/Next's designs except V3's helmet. He looks so sad :(

He probably looked like that because he knows his film is somehow being made into a shitty horror movie.

Well he was stuck in THE NEXT with that terrible plot...at least he was played by Daisuke from Kabuto.

I still think they just re-purposed those suits for the movie villains in Super Den-O & Decade.

NeonZ

Wait, so how come 4 has his own movie while 3 doesn't?

Huh? You mean the new Rider 3 and 4? The logo of SHT GP:KR3 gives more emphasis to "Kamen Rider 3" than to the "Super Hero Taisen GP" part. So, Rider 3 does have his own movie, while Rider 4 is getting a 3 episode mini-series.

Huh, didn't know even TOEI JAPAN does that (use old suits and alter them for new roles)

I think the whole bit about the First/Next suits isn't right, but it's true that they recycle suits. Den-O itself repurposed and repainted Gaoh from its solo movie into Yuuki from Saraba Den-O.

I think horror could actually work well alongside Rider... the issue with The Next is that it separates the "horror" plot from the movie's Rider related plot, with both only meeting in the end. Well, that, and changing V3 so much that he basically has no relation to the original aside from a dead sister.

vareon

Huh? You mean the new Rider 3 and 4? The logo of SHT GP:KR3 gives more emphasis to "Kamen Rider 3" than to the "Super Hero Taisen GP" part. So, Rider 3 does have his own movie, while Rider 4 is getting a 3 episode mini-series.

I think horror could actually work well alongside Rider... the issue with The Next is that it separates the "horror" plot from the movie's Rider related plot, with both only meeting in the end. Well, that, and changing V3 so much that he basically has no relation to the original aside from a dead sister.

Yeah, it was neither a good rider movie, action movie, or horror movie, which makes it just...terrible. Platinum Smile is a cool song though.

The best thing about First/Next is their SH Figuarts, which held up well with the latest gen despite them being the very first SHF.

Boss Doggie

I think the whole bit about the First/Next suits isn't right, but it's true that they recycle suits. Den-O itself repurposed and repainted Gaoh from its solo movie into Yuuki from Saraba Den-O.

Ah so it's a miniseries? I thought it would be a movie.

And wasn't too keen on Den-O, didn't know they did that.

They should've went full cyborg on G3

WarRock

They should've went full cyborg on G3
I was giving an example of suit recycling:
As noted, the V-1 System looks very similar to the protagonists of the Metal Hero Series. This is due to the fact that V-1's costume is made up of various props from various Metal Heroes. The V1 System's composed of Solbraver's helmet, Jiban's body (with Kamen Rider G3-X's chestplates), Tryjacket's legs, and the BM-01 Dictator for the sidearm. With the completed costume painted metallic silver, V-1 resembles Gavan, the original Metal Hero and the first of the Space Sheriffs.

LostAnkh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OHtz-gdRBY

The CSM Decadriver has post-Decade Kamen Rides.

And I couldn't be happier.

something like garo would totally work in the US.
With Funimation subbing the Garo anime, maybe it'll come over here...

Legacy Blade Blasters have been confirmed!

http://www.jefusion.com/2015/02/power-rangers-legacy-blade-blaster-now.html

My prediction came true! Pretty happy about this!
I'm hoping this line gets to the Ninja and Shogun Megazords.

Tiu Neo

Caught up with Drive. It's pretty fun, better than I thought it would be. Didn't like MA-HA at first, but now I think he's kind of a likable idiot. Hope Chase
dies or is converted soon, since his fights were fun at first, but now they are getting more annoying than fun to watch, imo.

Also, Ninninger 1 subs are out. Now that I understand it a little better, I can say that I like the characters, at least from the impressions I got on this first episode. Hope this doesn't become too red focused, anyway. The mecha fights are fast, dynamic and fun, hope they continue like that. Normally they bore me to death, but the vehicles and specially Shinobimaru fighting were very fun to watch.

Dekaranger... I'm at episode 20 right now. I like the few things this series has done differently from the ones I watched, and the narrator still reminds me a lot of Metal Heroes. Also, I can see why some people call Torin a watered down Doggie. While I like Torin, Doggie is a whole new level of awesomeness.

WarRock

Ninninger 1
What a fantastic first episode. I love the ichiban swords and the mechs were just O=

who's there?who's there?

ahdurian

oh god...I love everything about Ninninger....except how smug Red looks all the time. I wanna slap him

That and the mecha (in general) still confuses me to hell

jwk94

Oh god Ninin is basically Shinken 2.0 with a hyper Red. I couldn't be happier! The only thing I didn't like was the Shurikenjin fight and the cockpit. Red sitting on a throne while the other are just kinda there doesn't sit right with me. I hope they change that for the PR adaptation.

shaowebb

Okay...why is there now a Kamen Rider 4 being teased? The stuff with Kamen Rider 3 was apparently related to old things that were forgotten, but isn't 4 just them making up dudes now? Or was both 3 and 4 them rewriting folks into the original show's canon?

Its Toei so they'll rewrite and add a bunch regardless but am I wrong in this guy being new?

NeonZ

Yes, Kamen Rider 4 is new. His design has some references to Riderman (mouth plate) and Skyrider (colors are similar to Skyrider's original form that had darker tones), but it's not any kind of lost forgotten Rider, unlike 3. Shirakura also (jokingly?) mentioned that they could eventually make Kamen Rider 5 and 6 specials too. Apparently, at least with Rider 4, the idea is to make a net-movie with quality comparable to an actual tv show or movie.

They had stopped making net movies after Wizard and the last few Rider movies, aside from Kamen Rider Taisen, had very low box office (Gaim had the lowest one for a summer movie, Gaim x Drive might have the lowest one out of any Heisei Rider movie with full release), so I think this is an attempt to make more traditional Riders be the face of movies, rather than the toy-gimmick ones from the tv series that seem to be failing as movie heroes.

So, if SHTGP and/or the Rider 4 mini-series are successful, we might get more "new" classic styled Riders for movies and specials, at least for a while.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ninnin was pretty fun. Not too much going on so far but it's only the first episode so I'll let it slide.

This thing was great. Really liked the introductory shot. And yeah, the mech fight was good but that's only because one of them had a costume that wasn't restrictive so it can move around as if it was a ground fight.

Got strong Daigo vibes off the Red and how the others reacted to him, which I don't mind. But if you hated that you might be in for another year of that.

The suit actors do the dance the best.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 1

I think I'm going to really enjoy this season.
Personally I would prefer if Shurikenjin didn't show up until the second episode, but it's still an awesome Megazord.
Can't say much about the characters now, this is only the first episode. So far they don't annoy me.
I do love the opening and endings though. Especially the dance. I hope we get people dancing in the credits later on like Kyoryuger.

Drive 19

The real Judge was a total asshole.
"You helped me, you're a dick for helping me, so I'm going to kill you and pin all my crimes on you!"

Wasshoi!

I didn't think this episode was... rushed per se. It's just that... I don't know. I think they played it very safe. The mecha fight was PHENOMENAL, but nothing really grabbed me otherwise. I do think Yakumo taking magic lessons is hilarious. Dude, you're about 10 years too late. XD I personally thought the Toqger premiere was... I wouldn't say stronger, but I felt it was funner. But anyways!

The OT subs don't point this out, but the roll call is very pun heavy. All of the Ninningers have weather patterns as part of their names. Yakumo's is obvious since they give you his English name (Cloud), but the others are less so. They pun off their names in their roll calls (well, all of them except Takaharu, who uses a slightly different pun). Takaharu's rollcall is "abarete appare", which takes advantage of the fact that abare and appare sound similar. By itself, this phrase means "splendid rampaging", but there's another level here. Appare, when written in kanji, combines the heaven kanji with the sunny/clear kanji, thus the word choice of "brilliant", describing the sun. OT picked up on this and probably decided the weather part of the name superceded the pun.

The others however, follow a theme. A descriptor, then the weather they get their name from. For example, Yakumo's is "todoroke yakumo", which translated would be "rumbling cloud", as in OT's translation. Only one I thought was... odd, was Fuuka's, as there's a snowflake in her background. OT's sub of her call is "the flower in the wind", but it neglects part of it, wherein part of her name is "flurry", as in snow.

As for why it's specifically 444 years after Kibaoni's defeat that he vowed to return... That's because 4 can be pronounced as "you/yon" but it can also be pronounced as "shi", which is also the Japanese word for death. 444 is the Japanese equivalent of our 666.

Only other fun bit is after Takaharu and the rest transform. Takaharu says "It might be presumptuous to announce yourself..." which is 問われてなごろはおこがましいが. This is a common phrase used in theatre (especially kabuki theatre) and it fits Takaharu's personality REALLY well as a flashy showman.

Corgi

Banned
decent starting eps.

So Drive gets its own OT but ninja doesn't? :p

zord fights was fun, although the combined form is as clunky as always :(

seems like there is a dragon combination too though. magiranger vibes is not a bad thing!

Top Bottom