• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

jwk94

So yeah Dino Charge just finished in Latin America (not sure the exact place). Spoilers:

- I'm interested to see who Heckle is exactly. The glowing eyes in the finale reminded me of Chaos after he merged with Deboss but I can't exactly be sure.

- Kendall getting the energem is fine, but she really didn't do much this whole season. We know about her on a basic level, we know she's a jerk a lot and she focuses a bit too much on her work, but that's basically it. Keeper mentions that she was always worthy, but why? I get she risked her life for Keeper, but how did they meet? There's this time between the Dino age and where we meet Tyler in the premiere that could've been covered by exploring how Kendall and Keeper met and how they uncovered Koda, but nope! I'm hoping this gets solved next season.

- Where has Keeper been the whole season? This is some "Billy disappearing during MMPR" level stuff. Like nobody seems to care either. There's probably a reason and Kendall probably knows, but not even having any of the rangers ask about this makes the writers look bad since we're just supposed to accept this. He pops up every so often to deliver his sage-like wisdom, but then poof he's gone again. What's his connection to the energems? Why did he have them in the first place? We knew more about Kruger in SPD than we do Keeper in Dino Charge by now. I would've at least liked some small bread crumbs here and there but nope.

- Overall, I enjoy the characters and the fights have gotten better, but it's the fact that Kendall isn't much of a character (still better than Gia) that bothers me.

EDIT:
Looking at the Super Charge trailer again, it looks like Heckyl might be Neo Zeltrax.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dino Charge 19

Nice, a human villain. It's been a while since we had one. He seems crazy strong (well, almost, he still got his ass handed to him at the end)
Those goggles... I guess that's the "Go-Buster" element? Kidding kidding. I know that Fury Diamond is full of shit.
I was surprised that they adapted THIS episode of Kyoryuger. I remember seeing that and thinking "there's no way PR will adapt this, it's a Japanese holiday", but they found a way. Even included Tyler's father. Props to you Chip Lynn.
I know the finale is available in the right places, but I'm going to wait. Even if it takes two weeks as next week is the Christmas special.

Also, hi Necrolai. I'm surprised her suit is still in that condition after 10 years.

WarRock

Wowa, Billy the Kid's hoodie looks better than expected. Kinda want to play with this motif (western with gunslingers wearing hoodies) now...

Dino Charge 19

Nice, a human villain. It's been a while since we had one. He seems crazy strong (well, almost, he still got his ass handed to him at the end)
Those goggles... I guess that's the "Go-Buster" element? Kidding kidding. I know that Fury Diamond is full of shit.
I was surprised that they adapted THIS episode of Kyoryuger. I remember seeing that and thinking "there's no way PR will adapt this, it's a Japanese holiday", but they found a way. Even included Tyler's father. Props to you Chip Lynn.
I know the finale is available in the right places, but I'm going to wait. Even if it takes two weeks as next week is the Christmas special.

Also, hi Necrolai. I'm surprised her suit is still in that condition after 10 years.
That was a surprised.

BatDan

Ninninger 39

An episode where Kasumi gets humbled, nice to get one. Even before this she was still one of the better Ninningers.
I hope Mangetsu doesn't end up disappointing, his "I was only pretending" plan was great. Though this season hasn't done a good job with villains so we'll see.
I've noticed Takaharu hasn't said his catchphrase much lately, there were two opportunities and he didn't take them. I'm guessing the higher ups realized he can't act and severely reduced his role. I believe he's the result of nepotism, hundreds of young men audition to be Red and this awful guy somehow beats them all.

Next week, early Christmas? Hmm.

Tiu Neo

You just reminded me to watch Abaranger again.

I'll do that someday too. Still my favorite series.

And talking about this series, good old man Ryunosuke (or at least the actor that was the character) is on RX! As a... Banana Magician. WTF.

WssxFFL.png

Tiu Neo

I never notice that before.

I felt he was familiar when I saw the preview for the episode, then checked japanese wikipedia, but it's him! He looks almost the same as he was, what, 15 years later on Aba? It's on episode 20, if you want to check, heh.

Ninninger 39

Eh, not Junior levels, but Kibaoni Jr is actually ok! He is, at least, a leader figure for the villains, better than what Ninninger had up to now.

Nice to see Kasumi failing bad for once, too. She could turn Chouzetsu this episode, but... well, it looks like the girls won't, at all. Sad.

BatDan

Ghost 8

That opening scene was like Beast Wars level CGI. God damn.
At least there's a better dynamic for Takeru not wanting to fight Makoto now. Better than "muh confidence is broken". I'm curious if they make up this weekend since it looks like they work together in the movie. Could just be "worse enemy right now, truce"
Takeru has five, Makoto has four, and Saionji has five. Next week will see the 15th Eyecon. Who is that supposed to be?

WarRock

P.S: Rider Generation 2 was better than we ever deserved!
It has the shittiest co-op ever conceived in a beat'em up and the DS version has awful frame rate and weird spawn mechcanics that never let you hit combo counters as high as the beautiful and definitive PSP version, so nope.

Excellent fanservice though.

NeonZ

Ghost 8

The plot is getting interesting. I wonder if the whole 99 days arc is close to ending.

It seems like the 15 Eyecons arc might end this month, and then we start the "real conflict" next year, kind of like Gaim's format.

Tiu Neo

It seems like the 15 Eyecons arc might end this month, and then we start the "real conflict" next year, kind of like Gaim's format.

Yeah, it looks like this is the case, with 15 showing up next episode. A couple more episodes to close the arc sounds right.

I'm kinda curious about
what will happen with Makoto's sister.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think his sister isn't really in the Eyecon and it's all a trick to get him to work for the bad guys.

Maybe his sister was actually turned into Yurusen?

javadoze

Ghost 8

-The PS1-era CG monsters fighting each other was pretty clunky, but then again, what big monster fight in Rider isn't nowadays?

-Akari and Onari fighting with an awkward Takeru as Ghost in the middle was a nice little scene.

-I'm actually quite liking Makoto as a character. He feels legitimately threatening in a fight and his character has clear-cut motivations for acting the way he does. The fight scene with him and Takeru this episode was pretty clever with activating Specter's finisher via Ghost's belt.

-The pending conclusion on the "collect all 15 eyecons" plot has me wondering with where they're going from here.

Kasumi Sentai Ninninger 39

Eh, not Junior levels, but Kibaoni Jr is actually ok! He is, at least, a leader figure for the villains, better than what Ninninger had up to now.

This is pretty much my thoughts on this episode. While Mangetsu isn't quite amazing as Prince Jr from Kakuranger, he's a desperately-needed addition to a show with a villain-that's-actually-threatening sized hole in the middle.

Seeing Kasumi get challenged and receiving further character development next episode is also another thing I've been wanting from Ninninger.

Tiu Neo

I think his sister isn't really in the Eyecon and it's all a trick to get him to work for the bad guys.

Maybe his sister was actually turned into Yurusen?

Well, this episode
she told Makoto to not trust Saionji.

It'll probably come to a moment where
they'll have to choose between her and Takeru. And then, either she comes back to life and Takeru gets another chance by some plot device, or she "dies"? Dunno.

It has the shittiest co-op ever conceived in a beat'em up and the DS version has awful frame rate and weird spawn mechcanics that never let you hit combo counters as high as the beautiful and definitive PSP version, so nope.

Excellent fanservice though.

I played the PSP version by my lonesome and in that I'm so sorry the DS version was bad times for you. Maybe Ghost on 3DS will make it better. Travelers' Senki was decent just for the record though.

Kasumi is still best everything but she had to get knocked down a peg. The plot always does it. I didn't think they'd wait until the beginning of the final stretch to teach her this lesson but I'm glad it's over and done with so we can get to this Kinji gritty and hopefully the confirmation of my hypothesis who that fox really is.

And good on Ghost slowing down the clock a bit. 3 days between an episode instead of a month is better time management Takeru. Good job, buddy.

WarRock

Ghost 8
Y'know, people will disagree with me here, but... Spectre reminds me of an earlier Accel, except good and interesting. Don't get me wrong, Accel is a great secondary, but I hated his guts when he debuted.

Multiple storylines happening at the same time, looks like each one of the villains are working in different things?

I played the PSP version by my lonesome and in that I'm so sorry the DS version was bad times for you. Maybe Ghost on 3DS will make it better. Travelers' Senki was decent just for the record though.

Kasumi is still best everything but she had to get knocked down a peg. The plot always does it. I didn't think they'd wait until the beginning of the final stretch to teach her this lesson but I'm glad it's over and done with so we can get to this Kinji gritty and hopefully the confirmation of my hypothesis who that fox really is.

And good on Ghost slowing down the clock a bit. 3 days between an episode instead of a month is better time management Takeru. Good job, buddy.
I played both. Didn't try co-op in the DS one, but in the PSP it just sucks. Lots of single player only stages (almost all, if not all, bosses - why?) and you can't use your abilities activated with R, making a lot of the Riders very boring.

Ghost 8
Y'know, people will disagree with me here, but... Spectre reminds me of an earlier Accel, except good and interesting. Don't get me wrong, Accel is a great secondary, but I hated his guts when he debuted.

Multiple storylines happening at the same time, looks like each one of the villains are working in different things?

I agree with you there.

Scratches that giant monster itch. Sentai has really gotten away from awesome battles.
I've notice that lately with Sentai, but then again I have been going on and off with Ninninger and barley watch Toqger.

I hope that the next Sentai series would go into the battles a bit more then what I have been watching.

Slayven

I've notice that lately with Sentai, but then again I have been going on and off with Ninninger and barley watch Toqger.

I hope that the next Sentai series would go into the battles a bit more then what I have been watching.

Maybe if they get away from the trainwreck zord mashups.

BatDan

Dino Charge Christmas Special (22)

Yep, another clip show. Not as good as the Halloween one. Nice ending though.
I heard the reason they aired this now after the cliffhanger last week is that the finale
has a major cliffhanger and they felt that was a better place to end it
At least this special didn't accidentally spoil
Purple Ranger Kendall
like the Halloween special accidentally spoiled the existence of the Pachy Zord.

Also, some Dino Super Charge toys showed up, giving us some of the planned MotW's for the season
Endorf's Ninja monster from Kyoryuger 27, and Dogold's Sports-themed monster from Kyoryuger 32

BatDan

Ninninger 40

When was the last time we had a giant fight where the individual Zords defeated the monster? That was cool to see. Plus, it brought back Shinobimaru for a bit.
Mangetsu is definitely a better villain than what we got before. Actually saw a Ranger gadget and took it for his own use. Fucked up how he was beating up his mom like that (and when she gleefully said it reminded her of Gengetsu... well that's just depressing implications)
That final scene though.
"My real identity is Kibaoni..."
Now we're finally getting somewhere.

Next week:
Shishio's back! Nice!

jwk94

So how's Shinken 2.0 coming along? I see it's been getting a lot of Sentai veterans to come back for a quick cameo? I thought they'd save that for next year since that's an anniversary season. Also, given how close this is to Shinkenger (or at least it was when I watched it up to Gold's debut) is there any chance for a Shinkenger cameo or team-up?

Also, oddly enough, I think I'm done with modern-day Japanese toku. Something about it just isn't interesting to me anymore. The last Rider show I watched and enjoyed was Ghost and Fourze before that. The last Sentai I watched and enjoyed was Kyoryuger. I might go watch some older series to see if I like them.

Top Bottom