• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
so, green/black is an elephant, and white is a tiger?

and it looks modular to some degree, with two sets of leg parts for the different units

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Someone apparently took a photo of some parts of the Jyuuouger mech suit.

CVmMojTVEAEtWhe.jpg:large

Pretty... cubetastic.

The toys are listed as "Cube Tiger" and so on.

Also it looks like we're going back to "cell phone" type morphers going by the toy list.

Edit: wait is this going to be like minecraft.

Tiu Neo

So how's Shinken 2.0 coming along? I see it's been getting a lot of Sentai veterans to come back for a quick cameo? I thought they'd save that for next year since that's an anniversary season. Also, given how close this is to Shinkenger (or at least it was when I watched it up to Gold's debut) is there any chance for a Shinkenger cameo or team-up?

Also, oddly enough, I think I'm done with modern-day Japanese toku. Something about it just isn't interesting to me anymore. The last Rider show I watched and enjoyed was Ghost and Fourze before that. The last Sentai I watched and enjoyed was Kyoryuger. I might go watch some older series to see if I like them.

It's... you know, it's not that much like Shinken anymore. It got its own identity now, at least. They also reduced the red focus (so much that he's pretty much only the finisher on most episodes), the story got a bit better, the villains... are still there. The cameo episodes are pretty cool.

The mecha fights got a little worse, imo, but with Shinobimaru and Rodeomaru returning this episode I'm kinda hopeful.

It won't be one of the greatest, for sure, but I think there is some potential for it to be... good. At least if the villains get a bit better (which they were on the way to, at least last episode.)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
More Jyuuouger pics out in the wild.
"You've got Minecraft in my Super Sentai" It also looks very similar to Engine-O from Go-Onger.
The suits are also out there. Very heavy into the animal theme. Red has a beak. Blue is a girl this season.
The full combo is Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/White.

Tiu Neo

Minecraft mechas look... eh. Let's see how they are in action.

Red/Yellow/Blue almost mirroring Liveman? Cool.

The clothes are simple, which is cool, but I'm not a big fan of the animals on their chests. The helmets remind me of both Liveman and Gekiranger.

White and Green will join a bit later, if what I saw is true, which is cool.

EDIT: Also, male yellow again! White and Blue are girls.

WarRock

COUNT THE CUBES ONE TWO AND THREE

I should catch up with the ninjas again, but I'm kinda apathetic to Ninninger again

javadoze

The suit actually look pretty good to me. I can see why some may take issue with their more simplistic design, but to me this is a minimalistic design done well. The realistic, black animal faces on the torsos along with the helmets make this show have an 80s-90s throwback feel to it.

As for the Jyuuouger mech...

...It looks like a more cube-ish version of the Go-Onger mech. It looks goofy in a good/bad way (meaning I have absolutely no idea what to think until I see it in action).

Delio

I'm inlove with the suits. White more so than the others but I love that they went full ham and gave Red the beak.

The mechs? They will have to grow on me. They are almost too blocky for my tastes but I get what they are going for.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Huh, so Paonmaru was a call-forward to Jyuuouger basically?

Maybe we'll see a UFO and Surfer Sentai next.

Tiu Neo

If it weren't for the animals, those suits would probably be my favorite since Gokaiger, at least. It really is oldschool, and the helmets are pretty good. Eh, maybe it'll grow on me, when I see it in action.

I hope we get a lot of practical effects for the mechs, not CG. Their blocky style is kinda weird, but that could be an awesome throwback to older mechas.

Ninninger 40

Oh, I remember this Yokai from Kakuranger!

It's nice to see Kasumi not being perfect, and also Takaharu being useful for non-combat things. Really weird way to treat someone depressed tho.

The individual mechas getting some use after so much time was very, very good, too. More Shinobimaru and Rodeomaru is always a good thing.

Pretty good episode, imo. That ending, too. Finally the villains are getting some decent development.

Tiu Neo

Oh god, just watched Fourze 30. What was that episode?

The best one, that's it.

Fourze will probably become my favorite KR.

WillyFive

Everything about the new Sentai is very cute. The suits could look amazing if given proper over-the-top poses by their suit actors (especially so that they can hide how the shirt looks like a cheap printed T-shirt).

Mechs are cool if they transform like Galvatron does in the new Transformers movies.

Oh god, just watched Fourze 30. What was that episode?

The best one, that's it.

Fourze will probably become my favorite KR.

The next two episodes are my favorites.

Wow is all that I can say about that new mech. In my 30+ years of watching Sentai I just get more and more blah about it every year. I think I need a break or something. I think with my kids being born this year it will be more about them and seeing how they react to it going forward...

sprsk

Blue and White female combination is first since Jetman, the Red being an eagle also kinda feels jetman-ish...

That said my son is super into Minecraft, and I think combining Sentai and Minecraft might make him explode.

WillyFive

So how's Shinken 2.0 coming along? I see it's been getting a lot of Sentai veterans to come back for a quick cameo? I thought they'd save that for next year since that's an anniversary season. Also, given how close this is to Shinkenger (or at least it was when I watched it up to Gold's debut) is there any chance for a Shinkenger cameo or team-up?

Also, oddly enough, I think I'm done with modern-day Japanese toku. Something about it just isn't interesting to me anymore. The last Rider show I watched and enjoyed was Ghost and Fourze before that. The last Sentai I watched and enjoyed was Kyoryuger. I might go watch some older series to see if I like them.

I think Gaim killed Toku for me. Having a taste of that continuous serial storyline made it really hard for me to keep up to date on Drive, Ninnin, and Ghost episodes; it just wasn't the same.

BatDan

Curious why they're not trying more serialized stuff after Gaim...
I know the Lockseeds were a major seller, but were the TV ratings not-so-good?

Tiu Neo

Everything about the new Sentai is very cute. The suits could look amazing if given proper over-the-top poses by their suit actors (especially so that they can hide how the shirt looks like a cheap printed T-shirt).

Mechs are cool if they transform like Galvatron does in the new Transformers movies.

The next two episodes are my favorites.

Yeees, that's all I want! If it's super oldschool over the top, I can accept the animals, since the rest of the suit is awesome. Maybe it even follows the example of the other Doubutsu Sentai!

About Fourze, I hope in those next two episodes
Meteor finally opens up with the rest of the team. It's not annoying or anything, but it's time already!

sprsk

The mech is a huge disappointment. Such a regression from Ninnin. Maybe its cheap? Looks cheap.

The legs dont even move, no lights or sounds, just a block of plastic with arms.

WarRock

About Fourze, I hope in those next two episodes
Meteor finally opens up with the rest of the team. It's not annoying or anything, but it's time already!
You're in for a treat. (Though I'm not sure if it happens in those episodes or a bit later.)

Tiu Neo

You're in for a treat. (Though I'm not sure if it happens in those episodes or a bit later.)

Oh, I hope so. He already opened up a bit, and the series is playing with his secret identity and people noticing for some time.

That's almost Liveman.

Lame animals though, like they're the usual. Elephant is the only unique one.

I think that's the idea. The uniforms are very oldschool, and the helmets remind me of Liveman, Jetman and Gekiranger.

BatDan

It is the 40th anniversary season. That's probably why they went with familiar animals.

Tiu Neo

BTW, some rumors say that a third member will join with Green and White, making a six member core team.
Black Gorilla. Not PUUUUUUMA, but ok.

No scans from him yet. Can't link the source here because of other scans, but you guys know were you can find it, probably.

vareon

The mech is a huge disappointment. Such a regression from Ninnin. Maybe its cheap? Looks cheap.

The legs dont even move, no lights or sounds, just a block of plastic with arms.

Uhh okay that doesn't sound exciting as toys. And this is the anniversary season, too?

I'm not sure what needs to be done to pull me back to Sentai. With Kamen Rider and Super Sentai being too similar to each other and both tangled with their own mission to sell toys, following them both is kinda tough.

Thankfully I still like Ghost, but man Takeru needs to change. He's the weakest link in Ghost, despite the first arc should be all about him. Spectre being the usual asshole rider BUT with a legit reason is good for the series.

LostAnkh

The suit actually look pretty good to me. I can see why some may take issue with their more simplistic design, but to me this is a minimalistic design done well. The realistic, black animal faces on the torsos along with the helmets make this show have an 80s-90s throwback feel to it.

As for the Jyuuouger mech...

...It looks like a more cube-ish version of the Go-Onger mech. It looks goofy in a good/bad way (meaning I have absolutely no idea what to think until I see it in action).
I kinda wished the others had more aesthetic with the mouth portion of the helmet. Then they'd kinda remind me of Gaoranger, instead of Gekiranger.

I'm not sure what needs to be done to pull me back to Sentai. With Kamen Rider and Super Sentai being too similar to each other and both tangled with their own mission to sell toys, following them both is kinda tough.

I've always been more of a Rider fan than Sentai fan. I've never jammed with the mech fighting sequences, so the team has to carry me through. Recently, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, G-Busters, and Kyoryuger hooked me, but Toqger was a dull thud and Ninninger is jsut okay.

BatDan

I've always been more of a Rider fan than Sentai fan. I've never jammed with the mech fighting sequences, so the team has to carry me through. Recently, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, G-Busters, and Kyoryuger hooked me, but Toqger was a dull thud and Ninninger is jsut okay.

Ninninger's issue is "oh crap, we spent half the show focusing on the terrible Red, jam in as many focus episodes on the other characters as possible"

I still believe that Takaharu's actor (looking it up, Shunsuke Nishikawa) is the result of nepotism, or knowing someone important. It's not incompetent directing as the others do fine, but he is just bad.

NeonZ

Ninninger's issue is "oh crap, we spent half the show focusing on the terrible Red, jam in as many focus episodes on the other characters as possible"

I think Takaharu has been kind of sidelined ever since his "rival" died. He got some focus for the power up episodes, but generally clearly took a backseat compared to those first 10 episodes where every episode seemed to be a shared Takaharu focus.

WarRock

Talk about hyperbole.

If that was the show's issue, nobody would be so lukewarm to it past the first 2-3 episodes. The villains are barely there, none of the characters have enough charisma or development (even though Kasumi is a fan favorite thanks to her trope, Kin had tons of focus shortly after his debut and Yakumo keeps getting the spotlight though nobody cares about him in the same way nobody cares about Nagi), the Last Ninja role as the mysterious mentor has been a bore fest, they keep switching/mixing between interesting stuff (uncle's past) with badly executed stuff (the board game and its monster). Kyuuemon keeps promising, but there was no pay off. His ninjas got defeated without any problems, his mech had one day of success before getting wrecked by a rushed power up, now the Ninningers have tons of mechs with barely no screen time, Lion Ha-Oh is underused as fuck, besides being the new cool finisher....

The writing has been really, really mediocre, and the early focus on a single unlikable lead is hardly THE issue. Even more when he got interesting episodes since then (the ninja school his friend was teaching at).

The best episodes in Ninnin either are some of the early ones because all of the action or the ones with guests - because of the guests and the situations they're in. Yet even in those, the villains... kinda could not be there.

This show should had a team with four members at max, so they could juggle all of the characters decently.

Top Bottom