• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

WarRock

Eagle -> Gorilla mask is reminding me of Ronin Warriors for some reason. And I guess I'll just wait for Jyuoh to start, don't even remember which Ninnin episode was the last one I watched.

JLynn

Saw the first 8 eps of Power Rangers Dino Charge on Netflix. What a difference a change of guard makes. I haven't came across any parts of the show that made me slap my forehead in disbelief (I had mad headaches from Super Megaforce). The cast gel well, the writing is decent, and there's a better blend from Saban shot footage to Toei shot footage (Aside of the matte finish lycra material and jolly Kyoryu Red.) Speaking of jolly. HUGE contrast between him and Tyler. He has a monotone voice that while it is not an annoyance it's noticible compared to the other cast. The fiancée loved it and can't wait for the rest of the episodes to be uploaded.

And is it me or is Poisandra wearing a gimp mask? I didn't notice it at first until I saw a close up of her face and saw brass zipper teeth around her mouth. Now I can't unsee it.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 42

Someone on production really liked that Nekomata costume.

Nice new finishers, both for group and for the mecha, but I feel the End Shuriken became... pretty much just another power up. Maybe it'll become more important on the next few episodes.

Kyuemon is more important than it seemed, cool. I wonder what he wanted with Kinji, if that's the case.

Shurikenger next week! And it looks like it's the original one, good.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Saw the first 8 eps of Power Rangers Dino Charge on Netflix. What a difference a change of guard makes. I haven't came across any parts of the show that made me slap my forehead in disbelief (I had mad headaches from Super Megaforce). The cast gel well, the writing is decent, and there's a better blend from Saban shot footage to Toei shot footage (Aside of the matte finish lycra material and jolly Kyoryu Red.) Speaking of jolly. HUGE contrast between him and Tyler. He has a monotone voice that while it is not an annoyance it's noticible compared to the other cast. The fiancée loved it and can't wait for the rest of the episodes to be uploaded.

And is it me or is Poisandra wearing a gimp mask? I didn't notice it at first until I saw a close up of her face and saw brass zipper teeth around her mouth. Now I can't unsee it.

The suit differences become much more noticeable when Gold shows up.

Yeah, Poisandara/Candirilla wears an unzipped gimp mask. I saw some fans speculate they would change that, but I don't think kids would even know what that is.

javadoze

CWzNlSMXAAI9ED5.png:large

A decent quality scan of the toy catalog cover for Jyuuouger. Seeing how Ninninger's cast and crew got revealed around christmas (and ToQger's around New Years), it wouldn't be a stretch to say that Jyuuouger's production info will probably come around next week.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Eagle -> Gorilla mask is reminding me of Ronin Warriors for some reason. And I guess I'll just wait for Jyuoh to start, don't even remember which Ninnin episode was the last one I watched.

I dunno how you guys are gonna take to a series that *starts* with a red-only powerup.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Damn, we're actually getting Legend Rider Eyecons in Web Specials---Ghost Gaim and Spectre W, sweet.

JLynn

The suit differences become much more noticeable when Gold shows up.

Lemme guess. The Saban suit is super shiny with a chromed out helmet like Overdrive, RPM, and Samurai. To tell you the truth, I like the chromed finish helmets.

But I love the fact that since Saban took over the PR suits look more authentic to the Toei suits than the Disney produced suits. I was annoyed that the Disney costume designers could never get the correct shade of pink and green so I was elated when Saban got that down pat when I first saw Samurai and they continued onwards.

Yeah, Poisandara/Candirilla wears an unzipped gimp mask. I saw some fans speculate they would change that, but I don't think kids would even know what that is.

Saban will do everything in their power to produce those shows as cheaply as possible so I can't comprehend how they would consider reconstructing a new costume minus that feature or alter one they're loaning from Toei. But I'll tell you this. One thing I know about kids is they have an impeccable memory. Take that for what you will.

On another note The fiancée wanted to see my favorite PR season so we saw the first three eps of Time Force. Those episodes still hold up pretty well to me but she was nitpicking the heck out of it from the costumes to the special effects to Nadira. Only thing she told me she liked was Ransik, as he reminds her of Kano (I didn't even look at them that way at first but thinking back on it now I can see how she made the comparison.) She said she'll give it the benefit of the doubt and watch more episodes. I look forward to her opinion of Eric.

BatDan

Ghost 11

Eyecons were Dragon Balls!
Kind of surprised Saionji is already dead. I guess he was more the sacrifice to show the true power of the Eyecons.
The fight with Javel was really fucking good, like top-tier Rider stuff. Shows what happens when you really take advantage of all the form changes at once.
Shit, now I really want more.

Also, Ghost's OST is just too good.

Lemme guess. The Saban suit is super shiny with a chromed out helmet like Overdrive, RPM, and Samurai. To tell you the truth, I like the chromed finish helmets.

But I love the fact that since Saban took over the PR suits look more authentic to the Toei suits than the Disney produced suits. I was annoyed that the Disney costume designers could never get the correct shade of pink and green so I was elated when Saban got that down pat when I first saw Samurai and they continued onwards.

Actually, it's more that Gold's Saban suit is a lot less shiny than the Kyoryuger suit.

BatDan

And am I wrong for thinking Saban is going straight to Ninninger next season?

It's very likely.
While trains are popular with really young kids, ninja are way more profitable with all ages. Plus, better Rangers costumes and Zords.
Villains are generic, but Lynn's writing might give them more personality than Ninninger did.

JLynn

It's very likely.
While trains are popular with really young kids, ninja are way more profitable with all ages. Plus, better Rangers costumes and Zords.
Villains are generic, but Lynn's writing might give them more personality than Ninninger did.

That and the Yoshi cameo :p

Watch Da Birdie

I'm guessing Ghost got all the forms shown one more time since they'll be used far less once Toukon Boost and the "advanced forms" show up.

NeonZ

Ghost is getting (at least) 3 special Youtube episodes where he gains the powers of previous Riders. 1st episode, 1/15, Ghost x Drive, where Takeru and the others face a mysteriously returned Heart Roidmude and Ghost gaims Drive's Eyecon to fight against him.

1/29, Ghost x W, this time it's Specter that gains W's power and faces the Terror Dopant.

2/12 will be Ghost x Gaim, where Ghost gains Gaim's power to fight against Lord Baron.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So
Saionji
is gone huh? Was hoping he'd stick around longer.

Also that's definitely the Overlord rock thing lol

BatDan

Finally bought the Dairanger boxset. I wanted to get it last month but Amazon fucked up (and apparently I wasn't the only one it happened to). Hopefully that doesn't effect the chances of getting Kakuranger.
I have to watch this on TV as watching on my computer causes the subtitles to blur. Must be the video player...
But yeah, I miss these 90's effects. Ryuuseioh is still awesome.

On another note, PR Dino Super Charge is set to premiere January 30th. Earlier than usual... sadly this likely means a longer hiatus. I wish Nickelodeon wasn't so brain-damaged.

WarRock

Ghost 11
Mid boss fight huh? Hope we get another one of these, except at night. Nice episode overall, though it raised quite a number questions for an arc finale without answering any. Not that I'm complaining.

But the ending felt weird. "Thanks Takeru, by the way we're going now, have a nice funeral."

Tiu Neo

The helmets are great, but I can't get past the suits just being some swap meet graphic tees.

The rest of the suit is very good, and I kinda got used to it now. It looks a lot better on those scans than it was on the first few scans that surfaced, imo.

BTW, 60EffPeeEss, if this is not a free toy catalog or something like that, it's better if you remove the scans from your post, it's against GAF rules.

Defuser

Probably won't look bad those suits when it actually airs. We all thought ToQger suits look terrible in scans but it turn out fine and when it airs.

Finally bought the Dairanger boxset. I wanted to get it last month but Amazon fucked up (and apparently I wasn't the only one it happened to).

They screwed up badly, and as a result, I ended up getting a measly $5 credit from them. I tried to redo the order when they finally got it right, but they ended up sending me 2 box sets, and I got $10 in credit somehow *lol* As it is, it was a nice diversion since I ended up getting it during the time my wife was in the hospital when the twins were born. I gave the 2nd box set to my friend for Christmas and he was super stoked about it.

Watch Da Birdie

The Sage dude and The monk really are outstanding in Ghost. If there is a god Neocrom will be the monk

The Necrom mystery reminds me about the hype involving who Sigurd was.

I remember everyone thinking it was gonna be Hase. Then he died. And then Sigurd ended up basically getting trashed before doing anything noteworthy.

The helmets are great, but I can't get past the suits just being some swap meet graphic tees.

The deadline came up and the designer realized he hadn't done any suits yet. A few minutes on Google Image Search and some time at Vista Print and we have our new sentai.

Tiu Neo

Just finished Kamen Rider Black RX.

Rewatching it after so many years... I can say I like it a lot more now than I liked it back then. It's pretty much at the same level as Black for me, now.

The change in tone was very notable on the first few episodes, but the series still has a lot of more serious/dark moments. Actually, the pacing is a lot better than Black, and there's a better mix between funny, light, darker and serious moments. The support characters were a lot better than Black's too. Joe would be an awesome secondary Rider, if the series was made today. The new forms were good, too.

The plot was a bit weaker, imo, but told better than Black. If Black could be shortened, imo, RX had the perfect size. The villains were OK, but I think Gorgom was a lot more manacing, and the Kotaro/Nobuhiko storyline was better.

And then, we got the crossover at the last few episodes. That was cool, save for a few (Amazon, X, V3 and Riderman), the other Riders didn't really do much more than... be there. Ichigo at least got a few lines.

Sandfox

Ghost 11
Mid boss fight huh? Hope we get another one of these, except at night. Nice episode overall, though it raised quite a number questions for an arc finale without answering any. Not that I'm complaining.

But the ending felt weird. "Thanks Takeru, by the way we're going now, have a nice funeral."

The next episode is probably the arc finale.

Been rewatching Kyoryuger lately. Damn Kyoryu Carnival is like the dopest thing ever. The transformations, the attacks, the theme song & the dancing are all so good. I'm not sure how the Dino Charge version will measure up.

BatDan

Been rewatching Kyoryuger lately. Damn Kyoryu Carnival is like the dopest thing ever. The transformations, the attacks, the theme song & the dancing are all so good. I'm not sure how the Dino Charge version will measure up.

Argle bargle too much Daigo argle bargle Sakamoto a perv arble bargle Who's Souji argle bargle.

Jokes aside, Kyoryuger is still a blast to watch.
Dino Charge has managed to stand on its own so far, it's not like Samurai or Megaforce where multiple comparisons are needed

Top Bottom