• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Tiu Neo

Talking about suits, I've been watching Changeman. I'm not a big fan of their sports bra with a badge thing on the suit, but the rest is ok, I guess.

What is really cool about this series are the enemies. They are grotesque, in a good way. It's pretty cool to see what they did with practical effects, rubber suits and some ooze.

There's also King Bazeu, that is kinda scary even today.

(And Gyodai, of course. Best monster.)

hello, does anyone know the name of this monster? I think this is from old Kamen Rider although I'm not sure. it had interchangable hand with either claw or mini gun.

thanks

zqGm1ky.jpg

NeonZ

hello, does anyone know the name of this monster? I think this is from old Kamen Rider although I'm not sure. it had interchangable hand with either claw or mini gun.

thanks

zqGm1ky.jpg

It's not a Rider villain, it's Udespa(ウデスパー) from Inazuman and Inazuman Flash. He appears near the ending of the original Inazuman and turns out to be working for the villains of Inazuman Flash, where he goes on to appear for a few episodes.

http://inazuman.wikia.com/wiki/Udespar

It's not a Rider villain, it's Udespa(ウデスパー) from Inazuman and Inazuman Flash. He appears near the ending of the original Inazuman and turns out to be working for the villains of Inazuman Flash, where he goes on to appear for a few episodes.

http://inazuman.wikia.com/wiki/Udespar

thanks, I thought it was Kamen Rider villain because a friend of mine said he got it from Kamen Rider villain Gachapon. hahaha

Talking about suits, I've been watching Changeman. I'm not a big fan of their sports bra with a badge thing on the suit, but the rest is ok, I guess.

What is really cool about this series are the enemies. They are grotesque, in a good way. It's pretty cool to see what they did with practical effects, rubber suits and some ooze.

There's also King Bazeu, that is kinda scary even today.

(And Gyodai, of course. Best monster.)

You think Bazoo's kinda scary now, think of how he was back then. I was 5 and I would get pretty freaked out whenever I saw him *shivers*

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
You think Bazoo's kinda scary now, think of how he was back then. I was 5 and I would get pretty freaked out whenever I saw him *shivers*

Looking him up, I have no idea how they got away with that in a 1985 kids show.
Nothing but a torso, exposed organs, the blue skin and wires everywhere. Japanese kids shows were hardcore!

Tiu Neo

Yep, watched Changeman when I was that age too, and scared me a lot.

I think this is one of the reasons I liked Flashman more, heh.

javadoze

In a single movie? There's no way it's happening. The only other Showa Rider that might get a new suit here is Rider 2, since they could just reuse Rider 1's mold and change the colors. These movies don't have enough budget for 10 new Rider suits at once.

At the very least, I'd love it if they brought back the black helmet for Rider 2 (that they picked up for Megamax and one of the taisen films and never used it since).

NeonZ

At the very least, I'd love it if they brought back the black helmet for Rider 2 (that they picked up for Megamax and one of the taisen films and never used it since).

The way Rider 1 himself has a black helmet now makes that kind of unlikely to me, but I guess it'd still stand out due to the white mouth plate. I wonder if they'll make Rider 2's chest plate red too though. Both Rider 1 and 3 have mono-cromatic armor now, and Rider 1's new color scheme is very close to Rider 2's original one, just with a darker mouthplate and no lateral white strips. So, that's out. Considering the designs that remain, it'd make some sense to give him a design with red gloves, boots and chest armor.

KamenRider12Evolution.jpg

When is the next Rider anniversary?

The 45th anniversary is in 2016, alongside Sentai's 40th one, which is why they're making this "Super Hero Year" project. Kamen Rider 1 is the first part of the project, we don't know what will come afterwards. Or do you mean the anniversary after that? The Heisei 20th anniversary should be in 2019.

In a single movie? There's no way it's happening. The only other Showa Rider that might get a new suit here is Rider 2, since they could just reuse Rider 1's mold and change the colors. These movies don't have enough budget for 10 new Rider suits at once.

Ummm, no? Why would you think I was talking a single movie? We already know how this film is going from the promo materials. I'm talking moving forward.

NeonZ

40th Sentai season; SHT is about Rider again.

Well, it's not even called SHT this time, it's "Kamen Rider #1". Besides, SHT is made by a Rider staff. You wouldn't get Sentai Vs movie staff to make a Rider movie;

It's also just chapter #1 of the anniversary project year, which implies that there'll be a chapter 2 or 3 and one of those could be Sentai focused.

BatDan

Ghost 12

Well that was a short series. I'm surprised it was only 12 episodes, rather interesting that they- I'm just kidding.
Boost Form! Now that's an awesome mode.

I guess we're back to the 99 Day deadline again thanks to Yellow Lion. Should be around April since this episode took place on January 10th. April huh? Just in time for the midseason form.

Tiu Neo

Ghost 12

Good episode, very emotional, even if in the end we all knew he wouldn't die.

Boost form is awesome. And... Ken is already gone.

And c'mon, Makoto.

I guess we're back to the 99 Day deadline again thanks to Yellow Lion.

...I never noticed Dad was Yellow Lion, but looking better, it's pretty obvious.

javadoze

Ghost 12

-I rather like how Takeru's "Death scene" harkens back to the OP and whatnot with the feathers and various memories within them falling from the sky.

-It also seems that Takeru's father also possesses amazing hug powers.

-As a whole, I appreciate how more slow-paced this episode was to bring some more gravity to Takeru's situation, even if it ended up being for nothing.

-
RIP Javel/Javelle/GekiChopper

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Here's a spoiler for something that didn't happen in this Ghost but is for an upcoming episode...

He's coming back according to the scans.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, Takeru's dad is Yellow Lion?! Holy shit!

And servant dude is GekiChopper?!

WHY AM I NOT RECOGNIZING THEM HOLY CRAP

vareon

Ghost 12

For some reason my favorite scene in this episode was Akari trashing her desk in frustration. I just expected it and bam, there it was.

Anyway, the arc ends and I hope to every god there is that they don't simply rehash the plot.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 43

Shurikenger! The original one! One of the best things about Hurricanger. And yeah, his uniform would fit pretty well with the other Ninninger.

But really, another clip show? And it'll be back just on the 17th? Are they having production issues? Pretty fun use of older monsters, anyway.

Endgame begins next episode, finally. Gabi will be back, too.

Boss Doggie

I must say ToQger was a lot more consistent and hooked me up more than Ninninger.

Zyuohger won't be an anniversary Sentai right?

Tiu Neo

I must say ToQger was a lot more consistent and hooked me up more than Ninninger.

Zyuohger won't be an anniversary Sentai right?

I think ToQGer and Ninninger both are meh/ok seasons, with some big faults. ToQ had great villains but a meh team and meh action/mechas, Ninninger had meh villains, a bit better team and great action/mechas. But yeah, ToQ was a lot more consistent, and had better story. At least Ninnin lost that "All focus goes to red" trend.

Zyuohger will probably more like how Boukenger was an anniversary season than Gokaiger. It has an anniversary logo, at least.

Boss Doggie

I'd argue ToQ has better peripheral characters (Conductor, Ticket, Wagon, and hell I'd argue ToQ6 is much more compelling StarNinger).

And I thought Ninninger was the anniversary Sentai.

WarRock

Ghost 12
He... exploded to transform? Ok.
Sunglassher is amazing as expected, but Sage's reaction surprised me. Really liked this episode, and the next form looks good. Hope Spectre gets his own boost O=

BatDan

I'd argue ToQ has better peripheral characters (Conductor, Ticket, Wagon, and hell I'd argue ToQ6 is much more compelling StarNinger).

And I thought Ninninger was the anniversary Sentai.

Ninninger is an anniversary in the sense that Super Sentai officially premiered 40 years ago.
Zyuohger is the official 40th season. Just like how Gokaiger is the official 35th season even though it's been 36 years since Goranger premiered.

BatDan

Ninninger 43

A combination clip show and bottle episode, with a monster that's literally a card. The fact that there's been two clip shows feels like they're planning a big budget blowout for Zyuohger.
At least the cliffhanger is hype, with the big bad FINALLY appearing. A shame it's going to be a long wait...

Zyuohger starts Valentine's Day. Meaning Ninninger will be a 47 episode season. Feels like nothing really happened...

Tiu Neo

True, at least for Conductor and Ticket. ToQ 6 too. Right is may also be a bit better than Takaharu, but that's not saying much.

Eh, dunno. Let's see the endgame, ToQ got a lot better by then, imo.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
From what I could stand of ToQger, Wagon was one of the most superfluous characters I've seen in these types of shows. I'd compare her to Shunpei, but at least Shunpei had some sort of beginning and end to his character.

BatDan

From what I could stand of ToQger, Wagon was one of the most superfluous characters I've seen in these types of shows. I'd compare her to Shunpei, but at least Shunpei had some sort of beginning and end to his character.

That's a good point. I don't think Wagon did a damn thing the entire show. Was her purpose entertaining the dads watching with all the ass shots?

At least the comic relief supporting character of Ninninger (Takaharu and Fuuka's dad) has a story arc and a connection to one of the main villains. ... Huh, I guess Ninninger has more plot than I thought.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I would love to hear the argue for Wagon being a compelling character. Even more compelling than Ninninger's side character, from what I can remember is only the dad. The dad that had plot relevance. And the times when he didn't have plot stuff going on he didn't appear in the episode, or came in for some short comedy bit. The comedy bits didn't to devolve into the same three things like I remember wagon doing.

Only other side character I could think of would be the grandpa and he's actually important.

BatDan

I would love to hear the argue for Wagon being a compelling character. Even more compelling than Ninninger's side character, from what I can remember is only the dad. The dad that had plot relevance. And the times when he didn't have plot stuff going on he didn't appear in the episode, or came in for some short comedy bit. The comedy bits didn't to devolve into the same three things like I remember wagon doing.

Only other side character I could think of would be the grandpa and he's actually important.

Well, the grandpa is the mentor character, and at least he's a decent mentor when he isn't pretending to be a crotchety old coot.

Yeah, they're basically the only supporting characters. There were some one-shot characters that were decent, like that purple ninja that worked with Blue Buster.

javadoze

Ninninger>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ToQger

Judging it as a coherent whole, Ninninger might be a mess, but it had fun episodes, entertaining fighting scenes, and some nice character moments.

ToQger, on the other hand, was a chore to watch (saying this as someone who enjoyed the core story). It felt like only 10-15 episodes of plot were envisioned while they needed to fill the space with 30+ episodes of dull filler. Even then, the action was by-the-numbers (what's the point of line-changing again?), the characters were not that entertaining or interesting aside from
the fact that they're children
(except Akira), and the villains (aside from Zed and Schwartz) meandered around most of the time.

Now I kinda feel like putting together a cut-down episode list for people wanting to watch ToQger...

javadoze

Karuta Sentai Midoninger 43

-At first I thought this was just going to be a normal clip show, but the yokai for this episode provided for a pretty clever vehicle for it.

-Yakumo getting emotional over his lawnmower is never not funny.

-The yokai reveal and fight at the end was actually pretty funny.

-Oh boy! I can't wait to finally see the team fight to become Last Ninja and face Kibaoni in...

...2 1/2 weeks!?!

Boss Doggie

A superfluous character sure. But at least she was nice to look at. And we always get superfluous characters back then. It's more than I can say for Ninnin's own brand of superfluous characters.

Ninnger at it's worse is just averange

ToQer was just uninteresting from top to bottom.

Eh I disagree, Ninninger is at its worse, worse.

I can watch ToQger without wondering what will happen next for instance.

Boss Doggie

Are you saying that's good?

Yes, because it means I know something is happening next. I can't say the same for "plot cul-de-sac, oh you're important but you're not really lol" ninjas.

I feel you guys are pretty lenient on the plot of Ninninger for now because it's airing still, so you have that "shit is happening" feel for it. I bet it'll go down during look backs when the show isn't the one being aired.

Then again my taste is mostly at odds at TokuGAF, like I think Kyoryuger is shit and GoBusters is one of the greatest Sentai shows but this board thinks the reverse, so what do I know :p

WillyFive

Yes, because it means I know something is happening next. I can't say the same for "plot cul-de-sac, oh you're important but you're not really lol" ninjas.

I feel you guys are pretty lenient on the plot of Ninninger for now because it's airing still, so you have that "shit is happening" feel for it. I bet it'll go down during look backs when the show isn't the one being aired.

Then again my taste is mostly at odds at TokuGAF, like I think Kyoryuger is shit and GoBusters is one of the greatest Sentai shows but this board thinks the reverse, so what do I know :p

I don't want plot to be predictable, especially on a show that already has a set structure and formula. ToQger had a great and original premise (despite the show and writing being really poor at executing it), it was cool having a show's story be so different from other Sentai shows.

Boss Doggie

It's fine not to be predictable, but Ninninger is doing it badly.

I mean, I'd rather take predictability over "wait, so your plotpoint is pointless? what the hell was the episode for?!"

The first general being tossed away like that despite being in the intro montage should have been a tell tale.

Okay, correction on the Chaser in Battride Genesis thing. You don't have to buy the movie to get him. He'll be released as free DLC sometime after the release of the movie.

My apologies for the misinformation, was going on bad info from a friend and I didn't think to verify it myself. Oops!

Fair enough. But if Chaser isn't the way they're going to get me to buy shit I don't need then what is? Still keep me up to date on the Chaser LE though!

Oh, nice!

Still have my Japanese PSN account set up from the original Battride though I never got around to picking up the DLC though.

So Chaser's DLC---I'm betting Spectre probably is too, and maybe Ghost's Toukon Boost?

The majority of DLC is free unless you wish to track down new copies of Go Get 'Em and all 3 versions of Break the Shell on eBay or Yahoo Auctions.

I did this dumbass shit and since y'all my homies and whatnot I suggest not even doing it. The trophies they give help a bit but not worth what you pay for getting them in the first place unless you want to.

In other news...

Clip Shows & Timer Scams! News on 1/17 & 1/10!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Speaking of Genesis, now that I have my PS4, I finally put in my preorder for the Premium Edition.

Less than two months! Hopefully being on PS4 will help some of the performance issues the first two games had.

Top Bottom