• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Tenumi

Banned
Way late to the party on this, but I really enjoyed the first episode of Ninninger. Doesn't look like it'll be one I drop this year.

jwk94

So I want to introduce the SPD hating girl (I will convert her!) to Kamen Rider. She likes anime a lot (specifically attack on titan) so I'm thinking Fourze? I could also try Kabuto, Gaim, or W (really those are ones I want to rewatch but they're good). What do you guys think?

WillyFive

Gaim has a good episodic storyline that should make her comfortable coming in from Attack on Titan; W and Fourze's episodes are mostly self-contained until the ending.

Every god damn year I fall out of watching Toku and the series just whiz past me. Where are all the cool kids watching stuff nowadays?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Every god damn year I fall out of watching Toku and the series just whiz past me. Where are all the cool kids watching stuff nowadays?

drive and ninninger are at over time. toQ just ended, and while not as bad as wizard, it didnt really leave much of an impression

jwk, go with fourze and gaim. gaim has has that deceptive fuckery that everyone can enjoy, while gentarous enduring nature might win her over

drive and ninninger are at over time. toQ just ended, and while not as bad as wizard, it didnt really leave much of an impression

jwk, go with fourze and gaim. gaim has has that deceptive fuckery that everyone can enjoy, while gentarous enduring nature might win her over
I'm gonna just drop the mentality that I have to watch every series and jump into whatever is current. I would like to go back and watch Gaim since I hear good things.

Parallax

I'm gonna just drop the mentality that I have to watch every series and jump into whatever is current. I would like to go back and watch Gaim since I hear good things.

oh shit, you havent seen gaim? go see that, but report in this thread every few episodes

isny

napkin dispenser
So I want to introduce the SPD hating girl (I will convert her!) to Kamen Rider. She likes anime a lot (specifically attack on titan) so I'm thinking Fourze? I could also try Kabuto, Gaim, or W (really those are ones I want to rewatch but they're good). What do you guys think?

Show her the episode of Drive that Mach first transforms in. Or better yet, just show her the clip of him being all show boatish from that episode. Everyone I've shown that to has laughed their asses off and been intrigued about Kamen Rider.

I just now start watching Gaim because my friend said it's good despite the goofy fruit and dancing theme. I'm pleasantly surprised that I really love the first 2 episode so far. I'm watching ep 3 now, but then there's a scene where Kouta's sister refuse to accept money from inves game because her reasoning is inves game is not a real job because it didn't help anyone.

man, I just don't like that reasoning. isn't that basically like saying all kind of sports or any kind of competition is not real jobs. or even if we ignore the battle/cock fighting element, they're a dance club, basically entertainer and they had fans and people who enjoy their dancing. I don't think it's fair for the sister to look down at it like that.

the dance club just didn't feel like delinquent at all though.

oh, and why the hell aren't they more worried with Gaim leader who's missing?

NeonZ

I don't think it's a matter of delinquent, it's just not a stable job that "fits into" society. In Japan, even idols and such are all tied to the idol industry and you won't get jobs without an agent from them. So, the Beat Riders are seen as just as children playing around.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I like Black suit more but that's just me looking at nostalgia.

Also they aren't delinquents. They lack the pomp.

This guy is a true delinquent.

Gentaro_Kisaragi_Student.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dino Charge 4

Character focus episodes! Been a while since we actually had one.
Dat awful CGI... how is it Saban's CGI is worse than Toei's?
Though, that realization that Koda's little brother died millennia ago... But this does give him the drive to protect children.
We've got Lucky! They're calling him/her Curio (had to go by the credits as I didn't catch it the first time). Kind of weird they introduced him/her as a friend for Poisandra and the two didn't appear for the rest of the episode.
Chase kind of got shafted though. Spending most of the episode in a cage in a cave. Though next week sounds like a focus episode for him so it sounds like they'll make up for it.

Tiu Neo

I normally don't like sentai movies that much, but the Dekaranger Movie... man, that was good. First of all, "Prince Junior" as a villain is always a good point. The action was very good, Hoji's fight was my favorite. Sen's finisher also reminded me a lot of Juspion, heh.

Wish Tetsu could get more screen time. I know why they did it, since he's still the overpowered new member at this point on the series, but I liked him from the few episodes with him that I watched.

Jasmine and Umeko also got the short end of the stick here, they could be one character and it would make no difference. I like them, but that's happening more and more on the latest episodes, too.

Any other series has a movie as good as this one? Most I watched are meh, maybe the Shinkenger one being ok, but not as good as this.

WillyFive

I normally don't like sentai movies that much, but the Dekaranger Movie... man, that was good. First of all, "Prince Junior" as a villain is always a good point. The action was very good, Hoji's fight was my favorite. Sen's finisher also reminded me a lot of Juspion, heh.

Wish Tetsu could get more screen time. I know why they did it, since he's still the overpowered new member at this point on the series, but I liked him from the few episodes with him that I watched.

Jasmine and Umeko also got the short end of the stick here, they could be one character and it would make no difference. I like them, but that's happening more and more on the latest episodes, too.

Any other series has a movie as good as this one? Most I watched are meh, maybe the Shinkenger one being ok, but not as good as this.

The Magiranger movie is the best, the Gekiranger one is pretty good as well. The Kyoryuger movie has great action that should be checked out, even if the story was simplistic.

However, the really great Sentai movies are usually the teamups.

WarRock

The Magiranger movie is the best, the Gekiranger one is pretty good as well. The Kyoryuger movie has great action that should be checked out, even if the story was simplistic.

However, the really great Sentai movies are usually the teamups.
Not mentioning the GoBus Returns movie, smh

JohnCYQ

Started watching Garo a few days ago, pretty neat stuff (a lot more gory than other Tokus for sure).

Seeing that Fourze is being mentioned here, is it worth watching? I have watched/enjoyed Den-o/Kiva/W/OOO for reference, Fourze seems a little different in set up from the little bits I've seen.

Parallax

Switches are pretty much Gaia Memories mkII, so the villain set up and structure of the episodes is very similar, even if the cast involved is different.

wouldnt that make most kamen riders with the two episode system with gimmicks similar then?

someone does something for greedy or ill reasons, theres a whodunit aspect to it, and all is revealed in the next episode? that would make drive much closer to W than fourze wouldnt it?

NeonZ

wouldnt that make most kamen riders with the two episode system with gimmicks similar then?

someone does something for greedy or ill reasons, theres a whodunit aspect to it, and all is revealed in the next episode? that would make drive much closer to W than fourze wouldnt it?

Both W and Fourze involve items that are used by humans to transform into monsters, but those items corrupt their minds, leading to an escalation of their acts. I guess OOO and Drive have that in a more indirect way, since the monsters usually corrupt the wishes of a chosen human, but clearly Fourze's and W's set ups are closer to each other since it's the human himself acting.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah Gaia Memories and Switches are pretty much drug equivalents. I thought it was done worse in Fourze since the villains seemed to get the same generic black switch and Gentarou go the interesting ones. With W there was a more direct "the hero's powers are the same as the villain's" with the Gaia memories since afaik every Gaia memory could theoretically be put into a Driver and the 6 that Philip and Shotaro use could also turn someone into a dopant like in the summer movie.

There's also the whole other protagonist being frail and plot important character thing they did with both Philip and Kengo (and Koyomi and likely a character in OOO) that I feel was just done by W much better. Kengo was an annoying ass. They made me care about Philip because he's one half of Double, I saw him and Shotaro as equivalents throughout. With Gentarou and Kengo it's, well there's the rider that this show is named after, and then there's his many friend but one friend turns out to be plot important in the last few episodes.

javadoze

Double was an all-around amazing show. Fourze also has a lot to love about it, but not without some bad pacing smack dab in the middle of the show.

If you can get past that, Fourze is a pretty likable show (and not to mention, was featured in Megamax and Ultimatum, the best movie wars yet).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hehe, when the Red Ranger powered his blaster in the latest Power Rangers Dino Charge, the Dino Battery read Gabutyra.

I guess they forgot to edit the name out on that scene, as it reads "tyrannosaurus rex" when the Dino Zords are combining.

Also, it's quite interesting how the lack of a kickass soundtrack makes a difference in these fights - the generic american one just doesn't have the same oomph.

BatDan

Kamen Rider Drive 20

Did Shinnosuke just do the Carranger pose? Nice!
We finally see Medic's true form. Wait, were Roidmudes always capable of bleeding or...
It was pretty cool to have a stand-alone episode.

Also, it's quite interesting how the lack of a kickass soundtrack makes a difference in these fights - the generic american one just doesn't have the same oomph.

They need to get rid of Noam Kaniel. His music is just so blah.
*looks him up* He's from Israel. Welp, he's never leaving.
Wait, he worked on the 1992 X-Men series? Whoa.

The morphing theme is probably the only good thing in that. Noam isn't as good as the others

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The morphing theme is probably the only good thing in that. Noam isn't as good as the others

The intro is one of the best power rangers theme I've heard. I never paied attention to the Morhing Theme, but the regular BGM for the fights is terrible, which is sad since this is based Kyoryuger, where music was on another level.

I'm still having fun watching it. Kota is pretty good and hey, on both series we have somebody that came back from the past to fight in current times.

Tiu Neo

Thanks for the replies! I'll probably watch Go Busters after Deka and Car, then. And how could I forget about the Kyoryu movie? It was pretty cool too.

Now, Kamen Rider and Sentai releases on monday? I could get used to that. The worst part will be waiting until I get home, now.

Ninninger EP 2 was good glad that each Zord get its own combination form (I haven't checked the toys yet). White is still the best, Red is terrible.

BatDan

Ninninger 2

When Yakumo said he was in magic school in England, I thought he meant stage show magic, not literally Hogwarts! That was a surprise.
I'm liking Yakumo and Kasumi so far. Takaharu needs more to him... we just had an idiot Red Ranger.
I am loving the Zords this season. How they can just fly off to fight on their own, and we already have a second combination. It feels like they're going all out on the practical effects this season after last year was just TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS.

BatDan

I'm looking forward to /m/ imploding if Takaharu becomes last ninja.

I never got their "Waah why is Red being important" attitude.
Sentai has been running for 40 years, Red has always been the most important. Even the seasons where Red isn't the leader (Kakuranger, Megaranger, Timeranger just to name a few), he still plays an important role.

Defuser

Ninninger ep2
Oh....it's a goofy sentai show, at least the fights were great with actual 'ninja' techniques. ToQger was less interesting due to little theme fights. Mech continues to be awesome.

And Fuuka still continues to be the best character ever.

vareon

This week's tokusatsu is pretty good. A fun side character focus episode in Drive plus Ninninger 2. Now to watch Dino Charge.

Top Bottom