• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Kamen Rider Drive 20

Did Shinnosuke just do the Carranger pose? Nice!
We finally see Medic's true form. Wait, were Roidmudes always capable of bleeding or...
It was pretty cool to have a stand-alone episode.

I don't think we've seen them yet with damage like that, for example when Heart was injured he didn't have any scratches or bruises, nor did 072 in this episode...

So, yeah, I think that's suggesting Medic is not the usual Roidmude.

LostAnkh

Drive 20
I really thought I was going to hate this episode because of Kyu, but it ended up being better than I expected. Shinnosuke isn't acting bad in this episode, and Medic is actually becoming the only interesting villain in this show.

WillyFive

I never got their "Waah why is Red being important" attitude.
Sentai has been running for 40 years, Red has always been the most important. Even the seasons where Red isn't the leader (Kakuranger, Megaranger, Timeranger just to name a few), he still plays an important role.

Yeah, Red is always the protagonist of the show, so he is bound to get more screen time or toys, simply due to the nature of the beasts that are television contracts.

WarRock

Yeah Gaia Memories and Switches are pretty much drug equivalents. I thought it was done worse in Fourze since the villains seemed to get the same generic black switch and Gentarou go the interesting ones. With W there was a more direct "the hero's powers are the same as the villain's" with the Gaia memories since afaik every Gaia memory could theoretically be put into a Driver and the 6 that Philip and Shotaro use could also turn someone into a dopant like in the summer movie.

There's also the whole other protagonist being frail and plot important character thing they did with both Philip and Kengo (and Koyomi and likely a character in OOO) that I feel was just done by W much better. Kengo was an annoying ass. They made me care about Philip because he's one half of Double, I saw him and Shotaro as equivalents throughout. With Gentarou and Kengo it's, well there's the rider that this show is named after, and then there's his many friend but one friend turns out to be plot important in the last few episodes.
Have you played the first Megaman Starforce game? It's Fourze, 4 years before W O=

Agreed about Kengo. He clearly didn't have a clear role in the script until the last stretch of the series, but I can say the same thing about the Healing Princess and her entire annoying family, Shroud included.

Holy shit, check out who else is coming back for the Taisen (actually I think he's in the Kamen Rider 4 web series, but still): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=civMzzOKJjU&ab_channel=東映特撮YouTubeOfficial

It's Kaido from 555! And he doesn't seem to have aged a day.
Faiz's actors keep coming back, wowa.

javadoze

NIN! NIN! NIN! NININI! NIN! Episode 2

This episode is pretty promising for things to come following the premiere.
-The fighting scenes have succeeded at including more ninja stuff so far (assuaging my fears of the ninja theme just being tacked-on).
-Really loving the instrumental OP theme that's playing during the fights.
-I like that Red and Blue's rivalry is more of a friendly competition than anything else, it bugs me when Sentai overuses the whole "standoffish member clashes with Red" trope and follows it wholesale.
-No dance video submissions yet? Surprising that they're not doing that yet.
-Is that YellowNinger hanging off the side of a moving truck in the preview? Seems like I'm in this show for the long haul.

WillyFive

Ninninger 2

I think Blue is a brat, but I like the rivalry between him and Red; this episode made it seem like a healthy relationship, and hopefully it continues through the show instead of being a one episode deal.

With the grandfather's last line, I hope it means that the action will get a progression into what was seen done by him earlier in the episode; perhaps by the end of the show the Ninningers may be fighting like he does or even better, which could make for awesome fights.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 02

Yeah, this is more Shinkenger than I expected. The action scenes are still fun, thanks to their powers. Troll grandpa is the awesome. Takaharu is Daigo, and my least favorite for now, but not too bad. I hope they don't forget the other members after a few episodes. His rivalry with Yakumo could become an interesting point. For now, the girls are my favorite team members. I hope Kasumi doesn't become a second Mako.

If Red isn't the last ninja, I expect them all to be it. It's pretty clear that Takaharu wouldn't accept anyone else being the Last Ninja. :p

Drive 20

I'm glad Chase took a week off. Medic could become a cool villain, if they don't kill her early. Fun episode overall, and it looks like a one parter, too, after what I commented last week, heh.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
ec53Vn1.jpg

I'm glad they don't make the dad make this dumb face constantly, just because the actor can.

WillyFive

I would like to see an outcome where Red isn't the Last Ninja.

A lot of comparisons are being made to Shinkenger (and rightly so), but it's important to note that in Shinkenger
the red ranger wasn't even the red ranger,
so Akaninger being the Last Ninja just because he's red isn't necessarily a surefire thing.

I'd like to see someone like White be it; I liked in shows like Timeranger where the major plot points didn't revolve around Red (instead he was simply the audience surrogate), or in shows like Magiranger (also a team where everyone is the same family) where all the Rangers had equal claim (red was the youngest, so he got to emote the most as per protagonist rules).

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
0aCJcJH.gif

Can't help but hear "meh dick" when they talk about Medic.

I hope Takaharu's catch phrase isn't "that's really hot"

A lot of comparisons are being made to Shinkenger (and rightly so), but it's important to note that in Shinkenger
so Akaninger being the Last Ninja just because he's red isn't necessarily a surefire thing.

I'd like to see someone like White be it; I liked in shows like Timeranger where the major plot points didn't revolve around Red (instead he was simply the audience surrogate), or in shows like Magiranger (also a team where everyone is the same family) where all the Rangers had equal claim (red was the youngest, so he got to emote the most as per protagonist rules).

I dunno, like the first thing out of Takaharu's mouth was how he's going to be the last ninja, before we know that's what they're all supposed to be going for.

Corgi

Banned
hmmm... is this the first dragon combination that we've had an actual suit and not just cg?

Looks fantastic.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gokaiger Gokai silver mech?

Not really a dragon... more of a T-Rex. I mean, its name is GoZyuRex

Dragomaru harkens back to the days of the Red Thunder Zord and Serpentara (I'm too lazy to look up their Japanese names now)

javadoze

I'd like to see White become the Last Ninja at least for a neat callback to Kakuranger.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ninninger 2

-Kasumi continue to be sooo beautiful. <(^_^;)>
-I liked the rivalry between Red and Blue Ranger (I am still learning and remembering their names, so forgive me) <(>_<;)>
- I freaking loved the dragon mech it was awesome. <(^_^)>

So yeah I am really warming to Ninninger and can't wait for next week episode.

Drive 20

-I love how the roidmoid told Drive off for not being flashy as Mach.
-The actor for Shinnosuke is really good and I was impressed by his anger.
-Medic scares me. <(o_O;)>
-This episode feels like foreshadowing for Chase, so we aren't that far off.

Overall the episode felt filler heavy but at the same time it was still an enjoyable episode.

Also my DVD of Super Sentai Zyuranger came today and I was hooked from watching the first two episode.

Also does anyone have advice in how to explain what is Super Sentai and Kamen Rider to a person without bringing up Power Rangers?

That bit was funny.

WillyFive

Just say what they are, Japanese superheroes. They've been around for a long time, they are kinda like American heroes but they cover themselves up and usually do traditional stunts instead of CG action, and you like them because of this and this and this (insert reasons). Obviously Power Rangers will eventually come up no matter how you introduce it, so just wave it off as "Power Rangers is a TV show made out of footage of shows like these, but replaced with American actors."

Or just show them the first episode of Fourze.

Corgi

Banned
was reading somewhere the reason why ninininin mecha is such a cluster fuck of themes is because each zord is suppose to harken back to previous mechas 'types' in the series.

that's pretty rad. hope they keep that theme going for additional mechas.

ahdurian

was reading somewhere the reason why ninininin mecha is such a cluster fuck of themes is because each zord is suppose to harken back to previous mechas 'types' in the series.

that's pretty rad. hope they keep that theme going for additional mechas.

Shinobimaru = Kakuranger?
Dragomaru = Magiranger?
Dumpmaru = Boukenger?
Wanmaru = Gaoranger?
Byunmaru = ToQger?

As for the ones that have only been announced so far...

Paonmaru (elephant) = Gekiranger?
UFOmaru (UFO duh) = Megaranger?

Also, just saw a picture of the Drive Type Formula toy....oh god....
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xwDu8cg9Mr8/VPR30oiV0AI/AAAAAAAAJ34/4pdq9yV-x7M/s1600/TK-09-Type-Formula-3.jpg

WarRock

N
Also does anyone have advice in how to explain what is Super Sentai and Kamen Rider to a person without bringing up Power Rangers?
You can easily compare them to the Avengers and old school Batman (though that is not really true for Rider those days...). Or, if the problem is explaining the TV aspect of it, to Dr. Who/Buffy/X-Files or similar shows, but with the japanese super-hero motifs.

Nitotsu Ninnin
Grandpa is awesome and so is Drago Shurikenjin. Action still good, but I'm not feeling Red as a leader (actor is... too passive?) or Pink. She just rubs me the wrong way.
Ah, really liked the kappa design! Wonder if all monsters are going to be a mix of youkai with urban objects like Kakuranger?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sucks that only dragon has the alt mode. Also the ninja dragon looks... weird. Like it has this huge head but small body.

Corgi

Banned
Sucks that only dragon has the alt mode. Also the ninja dragon looks... weird. Like it has this huge head but small body.

the toy is the exact opposite lol.

Wonder if anyone done the comparison... but nininin gives me Ninja Turtle flashbacks, as in having fun, no stealth, being flashy.

shaowebb

I fell behind on Kamen Rider Drive...I'm at ep 15 which I just watched. I dunno...it just doesn't hit as heavy as Gaim. Its not bad and its not pointless like Wizard, but I just don't get anything special from it. How's everyone else feeling about this one.

WillyFive

I fell behind on Kamen Rider Drive...I'm at ep 15 which I just watched. I dunno...it just doesn't hit as heavy as Gaim. Its not bad and its not pointless like Wizard, but I just don't get anything special from it. How's everyone else feeling about this one.

I watch like 4 or 5 episodes at a time when I'm on a trip; I can't bother myself to watch it weekly like I do with the other show. It doesn't really grab me.

About the same. It exists and it's not as bad as Wizard, but I'm not feeling it like Gaim or Fourze.

I actually can't put my finger on why it's not quite coming together, because there's nothing really bad here. It's just not as compelling.

shaowebb

About the same. It exists and it's not as bad as Wizard, but I'm not feeling it like Gaim or Fourze.

I actually can't put my finger on why it's not quite coming together, because there's nothing really bad here. It's just not as compelling.

Maybe the main character is shown reacting more than thinking to much? He does sort of just walk around being "cop" and getting nowhere until either some action happens, someone else does something, or he gets the epiphany and goes into top gear. I dunno...doesn't seem like a "thing solves itself' issue since he does ask questions, consider stuff and do some real thinking. Just sort of seems less entertaining than when Kamen Rider W did it.

Maybe the issue is that his big reveal is always telegraphed with the top gear getting rid of some of the impact of a sudden revelation because you know its coming unlike W. Heck remember when Gremlin's story was revealed out of left field in Wizard? No telegraphing means stuff has more impact.

I dunno...I'm not really 100% on any of these spitball theories of what it is that's making this one lack the ability to make a connection with folks. Just something about Kamen Rider Drive seems lacking...like it just doesn't have enough consequence yet. Drive is a cop and thats it. His cast are cops and thats it. The villains are the only ones with building stories, struggles, and goals. I think the main characters need more longterm personal challenges to struggle with. All their personal issues seem to disappear every 2 episodes save for Kiriko's thing with Chase which amounts to not much more than "I wanna believe in him" which is weak at best. I think Drive and Mach need more personal stories like Mach's old partner or the belt's prior life or something.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If there was a better version of this GIF, it would be majorly exploitable

tumblr_nklw7lOhOu1rphnuno1_500.gif

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think Drive would be looked at a lot more favorably had it followed Wizard instead of Gaim.

Personally I'm still really enjoying it, but hey.

javadoze

I feel like the lack of emphasis on the Special Crimes Unit and lack of really compelling villains makes this show kinda "meh". Drive isn't a bad show by any means, but when you have the whole cop drama angle being avoided by the whole "secret identity" thing and Chase being a pretty awkwardly-handled (and acted) character it's hard to shake the feeling that the show could easily be something more.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ironically i feel Drive is suffering from the same problem ToQ had in having a story that is going abaolutely nowhere. The chase thing should have honestly ended around when Mach showed up.

So far the reasons for powerups dont really have much impact. Were getting type Formula next week but its kinda like who cares? theres never been a real moment of danger, where Drive has really felt totally powerless against an enemy or couldnt just run away.

Wasted potential so far :/

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ironically i feel Drive is suffering from the same problem ToQ had in having a story that is going abaolutely nowhere. The chase thing should have honestly ended around when Mach showed up.

So far the reasons for powerups dont really have much impact. Were getting type Formula next week but its kinda like who cares? theres never been a real moment of danger, where Drive has really felt totally powerless against an enemy or couldnt just run away.

Other than heart. But they negated that with type technic. They need some rider crushing enemies because chaser isnt doing it.

WarRock

Heart vs Shinnosuke? The book writer's plot?

Slayven

There was a magazine article that mentioned it'd appear as CG. I guess it'll be a fairly brief scene, considering that.
Goddamn shame

Other than heart. But they negated that with type technic. They need some rider crushing enemies because chaser isnt doing it.

Kamen Rider is bad about having some true goons until it is too late or the power up needs a good show,

Mr-Joker

Banned

I am currently enjoying Drive and watch it weekly, though I will admit that it took awhile for me to get into the show and I didn't really click with it until episode 10.

dont really get what type Wild's role is these days.

I think type Wild role is brute strength.

Top Bottom