• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Personally I liked Time Force over Timeranger.

Also ToQ wasn't meant to be Carranger funny (no, that's a different level of humor that is hard to copy). It's meant to be whimsical.

WillyFive

The suit actors did their best to make it funny, but the writing for ToQger simply couldn't make itself funny not matter how much it tried.

Tiu Neo

ToQger had its funny moments, but I don't think it was supposed to be a comedy. It was... lighthearted, for the most parts.

From the sentais I watched, Abaranger is what comes closer to being a comedy, but it also has a lot of dramatic moments to balance it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I just remember back to the end of the second episode where the monster raises his swords as they go through a tunnel and has them break. Like not only was that trying to be funny, it's what led to the monster being dead.

Boss Doggie

It's not the writing that makes the funny moments of ToQger funny, but the action and direction.

Like that director ep. The monster stopping to bow to the security guard (because every staff member does) is hilarious. There's also the fact that the guard is probably a real guard in Toei's studios lol

KingDirk

Carranger's humor is so strange tonally, in the best possible way. The situations are patently absurd, and the characters can realize that, but they don't break the fourth wall to do so. The villains will keep track oftheir wins/losses, villains will get their weapons from mail order, etc, but the response from the heroes/monstars usually boils down to an 'ah geeze, this again' reaction. The show also will let the characters have real emotional moments at times, which keeps some kind of stakes going and reminds the audience 'hey, we care about what happens here too.' From what I have watched it may be my favorite Sentai.

Boss Doggie

Yeah like I said Carranger is abstract / absurd / acid trip comedy which is why I consider it the best as far as Sentai humor is concerned. It's just so out there. Even the Gokaiger ep couldn't totally replicate it.

WarRock

This talk about Carranger's absurd humor reminded me that I still haven't finished Sunred too. I hate how much stuff I start at the same time :V

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I love Go-Onger when it comes to silly Sentai.

Also loved the Engine Rap.

vareon

You guys won me over Carranger. I'm going to start it tonight.

Sorry to derail, but how is there no Saga Figuarts?! Such a good design.

There was a prototype of him shown once. Then never again. But keep in mind we don't even have normal Kiva's figuarts!

KingDirk

You guys won me over Carranger. I'm going to start it tonight.

Yay! You won't regret it.

There was a prototype of him shown once. Then never again. But keep in mind we don't even have normal Kiva's figuarts!

Aww. That show doesn't get enough love. I would still elect to get an Emperor form over base, though, so I can't fault the lack there too much. Still, Saga's dope design was underused in its own dang show.

NeonZ

Huh... Tobei Tachibana, the mentor character who appeared from the original series up to Stronger has been recast and will appear in SHTGP Kamen Rider 3. He'll be played by Rakkyo Ide, but his appearance here actually is heavily based on Ishinomori's design for the manga, where he was an old butler working for Hongo's family, complete with baldness, thick eyebrows and a mustache, rather than based on his original actor, Akiji Kobayashi. There's a scan with a picture confirming that information and showing his face, although I can't post it here due to NeoGaf's policy regarding scans.

I guess it's a way to show an older Tachibana while avoiding direct comparisons with his original actor. Previously, it had been shown that Rider 3's TriCyclone has emblems of the Tachibana Racing Club, so I guess this might actually be a plot point now.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kamen Rider Gaim Soccer Summer Movie

I watched this through BananaArms subs. They do the same "flashy effects" shit as TV-Nihon, but for dialogue they at least translate everything. So not quite their tier.
That being said, even if this had an Over-Time or Aesir style translation, it wouldn't save it from being DULL!
This the second summer movie in a row set in an alternate universe. I hope this doesn't become the new trend because all tension is lost when you set everything in a different universe.
I was bored during action scenes. That says a lot
That ending though... Sengoku Sentai Fruitranger! Urobuchi did say Ryuki was an inspiration for Gaim, and that had a bunch of Riders too.
There's a new group subbing Ryuki, only 13 episodes done though.
Anyway, the movie really needed a Drive cameo. I know I know, AU, but that wouldn't stop a post-credits sequence.

10 episodes left of Gaim.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I watched this through BananaArms subs. They do the same "flashy effects" shit as TV-Nihon, but for dialogue they at least translate everything. So not quite their tier.
That being said, even if this had an Over-Time or Aesir style translation, it wouldn't save it from being DULL!
This the second summer movie in a row set in an alternate universe. I hope this doesn't become the new trend because all tension is lost when you set everything in a different universe.
That ending though... Sengoku Sentai Fruitranger! Urobuchi did say Ryuki was an inspiration for Gaim, and that had a bunch of Riders too.
Anyway, the movie really needed a Drive cameo. I know I know, AU, but that wouldn't stop a post-credits sequence.

I might just skipped the Gaim summer movie, I don't like football and since it's get in another universe it has no baring on the plot at all.

Also what's the name of the sub group that is doing Ryuki and how is their subs, surely they can't be worse than TV-Nihon

Also flashy subs a just pointless and distracting, I honestly don't get why they waste time doing them. Does anyone actually like them?

BatDan

I might just skipped the Gaim summer movie, I don't like football and since it's get in another universe it has no baring on the plot at all.

Also what's the name of the sub group that is doing Ryuki and how is their subs, surely they can't be worse than TV-Nihon

Also flashy subs a just pointless and distracting, I honestly don't get why they waste time doing them. Does anyone actually like them?

Soccer/Football fans might like it since there's a bunch of cameos from professional players. However I don't care about Soccer/Football so these cameos meant nothing to me.

The Ryuki group is called Sub Vent. Over-Time always tweets when they have a new release out so that's a guarantee it's better than TV-Nihon.

I've seen people on Rangerboard (and Crew) that defend TV-Nihon. One defense is "they leave in Japanese terms". THAT'S NOT HOW TRANSLATION WORKS! Gah!

NeonZ

I think they've stopped the summer movie cameos, since neither Wizard's nor Gaim's had it.

Actually, Gaim's movie is directly tied to the final episode (there's also one tie in episode before that, although you could just skip that one). It's a pretty mediocre movie though.

Soccer/Football fans might like it since there's a bunch of cameos from professional players. However I don't care about Soccer/Football so these cameos meant nothing to me.

Players from the J-League though. I don't think there are many who follow that...

WillyFive

The 1st episode alone of Carranger is a riot. A complete deconstruction of Sentai up into that point, with the Rangers literally forced into being Rangers against their will by a crazy alien that demands to refer the team by its full 3 word legal brand name, every single time it is uttered; and then even in the internal character monologued they end up seeing the full name. Probably the best premiere in Sentai outside the one for Liveman, except that unlike Liveman, the rest of the show actually lives up to it.

vareon

Riku Sanjo seems to prefer the movie to be canon with the TV series, looking at W and Kyoryuger. Drive might get a canon summer movie.

NeonZ

Riku Sanjo seems to prefer the movie to be canon with the TV series, looking at W and Kyoryuger. Drive might get a canon summer movie.

Gaim's summer movie was canon though, it's directly tied to the finale. It just mostly took place in an artificial universe.

SHTGP KR3 and the Kamen Rider 4 miniseries already are doing the whole "alternate timeline/restore the real world" story though, so I don't think they'd do it again so soon.

vareon

Gaim's summer movie was canon though, it's directly tied to the finale. It just mostly took place in an artificial universe.

SHTGP KR3 and the Kamen Rider 4 miniseries already are doing the whole "alternate timeline/restore the real world" story though, so I don't think they'd do it again so soon.

I realize that, but it's such a...let's say weak way to tie a standalone movie into the world.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The Ryuki group is called Sub Vent. Over-Time always tweets when they have a new release out so that's a guarantee it's better than TV-Nihon.

Oh cool I will check them out.

I've seen people on Rangerboard (and Crew) that defend TV-Nihon. One defense is "they leave in Japanese terms". THAT'S NOT HOW TRANSLATION WORKS! Gah!

Ha ha, yeah if a translation leaves a person confused then it isn't a great job

Actually, Gaim's movie is directly tied to the final episode (there's also one tie in episode before that, although you could just skip that one). It's a pretty mediocre movie though.

True but it ultimately didn't matter to the whole plot, you can easily skip the movie and still enjoy the series just fine.

shaowebb

I have somehow gotten several crews of rednecks in a powerplant to like the phrase "Ore SANJOU!" and now guys tend to show up, slam down their hard hat and yell it in a come at me bro pose.

Fuck yeah.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So I finished Megaranger a week or two ago.

It was ok I dunno.

Chisato and Miku were great, my favorite episodes were the ones that focused on them. Also the mechs were great and mattered.

Shun's episodes were good at being the worst.

oljajDY.png

EpsHp29.png

PZbnM7D.png

It's true that there isn't much plot to speak of in the first 35 episodes, but I felt the characters made up for it. And the last 15 or so episodes are really good.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I have somehow gotten several crews of rednecks in a powerplant to like the phrase "Ore SANJOU!" and now guys tend to show up, slam down their hard hat and yell it in a come at me bro pose.

Fuck yeah.

Took me while to remember where that phase came from but man Den-O was such a fun show to watch.

Plus it had the best secondary rider ever.

isny

napkin dispenser
was it? The action was shifting the shifter to the bottom I think so I always thought it was 'to'

The lyrics were definitely "shift in to tur bo" I'll never forget those first few PR intros. Such nostalgia.

Huh, someone's subbed the first 36 episodes of Goranger <or Gorenger if you are that type of person> and they appear to be pretty well done!

BatDan

Dino Charge 05

A Black Ranger focus episode, and it has character development to it. Plus we see how he got the Energem.
There was actually a good unmorphed fight scene against the villains, not just against the foot soldiers. Haven't seen that in a while.
Do you think they wonder why the Dino Spike has a 13 on it? Actually, did Kyoryuger address the numbers? I forget...
Tyler was a bit too excited there at the end (Thanks Daigo)
Oooh, a set-up for a future plot point.

EDIT: That's right, this monster fused with another in Kyoryuger. It's likely that the Emblem will set that up.

Boss Doggie

Eh I dunno, Gokaiger has the same problem as Wizard as far as action goes - stylistic, but when you look at it more, it feels disconnected.

Top Bottom