• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

WarRock

2K8xDi7.jpg
Nothing about the dialog and the characters make sense in this show.

Eh I dunno, Gokaiger has the same problem as Wizard as far as action goes - stylistic, but when you look at it more, it feels disconnected.
I think you need to rewatch it then. Seriously, this comparison would be more apt if it was Gekiranger and Wizard than Gokaiger and Wizard.

jwk94

Nothing about the dialog and the characters make sense in this show.

I think you need to rewatch it then. Seriously, this comparison would be more apt if it was Gekiranger and Wizard than Gokaiger and Wizard.

By the look on that lady's face, she strangled the kid in the next scene.

NeonZ

Eh I dunno, Gokaiger has the same problem as Wizard as far as action goes - stylistic, but when you look at it more, it feels disconnected.

Wizard's action was CG heavy and flashy, but the actual choreography was rather bland, and the four different forms barely felt distinct from each other. It doesn't help that the writing made the different elements pointless most of the time, but the choreography itself became lazy rather quickly.

Gokaiger did an excellent job mixing CG spamming (the Gokai changes, generally) with the actual unique choreography of the individual Gokaiger, and their fighting styles were directly tied to their personality.

WillyFive

Not at all. The action was very connected to the personalities of the characters and whichever plot point was going on in the episode.

WarRock

By the look on that lady's face, she strangled the kid in the next scene.
She makes that face 24/7. That exchange is so nonsense:
"Stop following Amazon, he's dangerous, dad died because of him and I want you to be safe."
"Amazon is a good guy, he's just like our dad!"
"Yeah, he is."

What? All I can say is:

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
She makes that face 24/7. That exchange is so nonsense:
"Stop following Amazon, he's dangerous, dad died because of him and I want you to be safe."
"Amazon is a good guy, he's just like our dad!"
"Yeah, he is."

What? All I can say is:

Onore Amazooon!

Keep in mind that HnT's translation of Amazon is also kind of awkward. Later on I remember there being an episode with man-eating crabs and the translator thought it was suitable to call them "cannibalistic" even though they don't eat each other.

WarRock

Keep in mind that HnT's translation of Amazon is also kind of awkward. Later on I remember there being an episode with man-eating crabs and the translator thought it was suitable to call them "cannibalistic" even though they don't eat each other.
I am dying to know if this is literal or not.

xy0IB6B.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, at least Doc's style is fun. The others are kinda bland and generic. I still can't get what Luka's all about.

jwk94

So what are some anime that are similar to toku? I need: transforming hero(s) and maybe a monster of the week or evil hero.

I tried the pre cure where they use music to transform and it just wasn't that interesting. Unless there's a better season, I'd rather avoid that.

Oh and I finishes Madoka a while back. Like Gaim, that show has no business being that good.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So what are some anime that are similar to toku? I need: transforming hero(s) and maybe a monster of the week or evil hero.

I tried the pre cure where they use music to transform and it just wasn't that interesting. Unless there's a better season, I'd rather avoid that.

Oh and I finishes Madoka a while back. Like Gaim, that show has no business being that good.

Heartcatch Precure is really good. It's the only Precure I've seen so I don't know how it stacks up to the one you saw, but I really enjoyed it.

Grexeno

Someone tell me why Over-Time and others even bother releasing movies if they're going to be impossible to download.

WarRock

Someone tell me why Over-Time and others even bother releasing movies if they're going to be impossible to download.
?

Astro Fighter Sunred is
not
what you are looking for. I dunno, lots of anime/manga have clear toku influences with group dynamics/monster of the week/suit up powers. From Saint Seiya to newer magic girl stuff.

Corgi

Banned

garo anime

http://a.pomf.se/ukqvrr.webm

I somehow have a hard time imagining young adult Japanese men with facial hair.

Zero had some in one of the later OVA's/seasons of garo... looks like pubs.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Somebody asked for this like two weeks go. I'm sorry I only made it now:

ofrmxq.webp

I've been told that Rolling Girls is very sentai-like, but I didn't watch and don't even know what the anime is about.

vareon

Heartcatch Precure, I've heard, is the only season of Precure to watch. At the very least it's worth it for the Yoshihiko Umakoshi-directed scenes.

Garo is of course, if you haven't watched it already.

Astro Fighter Sunred is a tokusatsu-themed slice of life comedy anime that plays a lot of tokusatsu tropes. It's not what you wanted, but it's reeeally good.

Samurai Flamenco if you don't mind an insane show.

Those are the notable ones I remember.

ahdurian

just watched the latest drive and was so confused when I saw the back of Drive Dead Heat....

then I saw this on Google and everything made sense

1000096026_3.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It was made by Bandai, but Digimon has a sort of tokusatsu-feel to it, with the power progression, henshin device, MOTW, etc.

Frontier and Xros are where it's most prominent, but even the original Adventure feels like one especially early on where it's a really Sentai-like plot progression.

Ninninninninninninninninger 3
Our five rangers are not great actors. Shiro and Momo are passable. Aka Ninger is such a bad actor holy shit.

At least we got Based Kenji Matsuda.

WarRock

Ohhh, that was pretty cool, and kinda tokusatsu-ish, if I remember correctly. There's also Shurato, but I don't really remember that much about it.
Shurato can be a rough watch if you are not used with older stuff...

Who was that Toku hero with he yellow feather things on the side of his head?
Was going to say Arashi, but it's not red. Got anything else?

Defuser

Kamer Rider Drive ep 21
I like to believe If the Chief comedically fell down together with the rest at Gen's comment means he does actually knows all about kamen rider identities but Tomari invalidated that by nearly saying about the previous testimonies of the sightings.

Slayven

Shurato can be a rough watch if you are not used with older stuff...

Was going to say Arashi, but it's not red. Got anything else?

Was also a anime , they just started selling his dvd collection and I saw the commercial on Superhero time.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 3

I've always had the belief that one reason people believe "subs are better" in animu is that they can't tell when the acting is bad.
This doesn't carry over in live-action. Red seriously needs lessons on how to yell, he can't say he's 'fired up" and sound bored.
Kasumi continues to be the best character, along with their grandpa.
"Collecting fear" Oh fuck off this really is Shinkenger 2.0.

Drive 21

The Roidmudes are getting smarter. Killing the humans they copied realizing it will trace back to them.
I just hope next week ends Chase's story arc. It's been dragging.
Formula looks odd. I do like the tire wrists like Go-Onger, but the rest is weird.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
whoa didn't know RPM's Ecka is getting to start as a side character in a Marvel miniseries

Top Bottom