• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
To translate:
Eka Arville (Scott in RPM) will be in A.K.A. Jessica Jones.
Not a miniseries, it's a full Netflix series.

Alongside Krysten Ritter and David Tennant.

Tenumi

Banned
Remember that quick flash of "Gabutyra" in Dino Charge episode 4?
They fixed it for reruns

It still feels weird to have a production team that actually cares.

That's amazing, especially considering how short of a shot it is.

Dino Charge has definitely been a pleasant surprise so far. Just shows how mismanaged the previous few seasons must have been.

whoa didn't know RPM's Ecka is getting to start as a side character in a Marvel miniseries

Eka's been around for a while now. He got 13 episodes on the Originals as a main character's second-in-command before dying and he's a main character's love interest on Empire.

javadoze

Speaking of Netflix, what would you guys think if Kamen Rider got adapted as a Netflix-exclusive series? You have the possibility of more long-running arcs, a slightly better budget, and a certain distinction from Power Rangers that way.

Of course, that would make things a little awkward on the toyline side of things (and probably the reason it would never happen), but hey, it would be a worthwhile experiment to say the least.

BatDan

Speaking of Netflix, what would you guys think if Kamen Rider got adapted as a Netflix-exclusive series? You have the possibility of more long-running arcs, a slightly better budget, and a certain distinction from Power Rangers that way.

Of course, that would make things a little awkward on the toyline side of things (and probably the reason it would never happen), but hey, it would be a worthwhile experiment to say the least.

If Toei & Bandai work with the right company, it could happen.
Put out plenty of TV and internet ads (I see commercials for House of Cards and Orange is the New Black all the time), as well as other promotion and you could have a successful Netflix series for kids (but good enough for everyone to watch)

Tiu Neo

Ninjas:

Yeaaah, red is not that good on this episode. At least his rivalry with Yakumo is still fun. The Fuuka and Kasumi still the best, and yellow is still... there. And we got Gashadokuro! ...which was better on Kakuranger, but that version would be pretty much impossible to beat. Anyway, the action still made this episode it worth it. It's so good to see giant battles that are fun and varied!

Kasumi as the last ninja would be cool. But of course it'll be Takaharu.

Drive:

I hope Chaser's end is near. Maybe they can make him interesting again, if they focus on him for maybe one or two more episodes and then kill/convert him.

And then, I hope they don't turn Medic into a new, smarter Chaser.

And hey, it's Drive Type Ayrton Senna!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ninninger is pretty good so far. Action is great, mech battles aren't the same. Yeah Red's actor isn't the greatest but I expect him and the other four to grow through the year. For example Daigo from the first episode of Kyoryuger sounds pretty different from Daigo in the 20's or 30's. I'm honestly not bothered with the acting though, I don't expect much from these shows lol.

Ninninger reminds me too much of Shinkenger. Sealed Evil In A Can wants to collect tears and is fought be heroes who stick discs on swords.

WillyFive

Ninninger reminds me too much of Shinkenger. Sealed Evil In A Can wants to collect tears and is fought be heroes who stick discs on swords.

Shinkenger was the last time Sentai received an increase in ratings from the previous year (as far as I know, since TV Asahi stopped putting out ratings publicly a few years ago), so it's not like one can fault them.

WarRock

My problem with his acting is his "FIREEEED UUUP" line. He sounds like he doesn't have enough confidence to shout that.

From day 1 Gentaro shouted UCHU KITA in a more believable way.

It's ok though, Grandpa still is the best character.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
That episode of Drive was actually awesome. Lately this show has been on "forget about everything about the show until I watch the new one" terms but I'm actually looking forward to next week. I thought the way he got the power up was kinda dumb, and the show ending abruptly was a shame but the episode was awesome regardless. The action wasn't bogged down by the slow down editing and they actually remembered the old toys. I had forgotten you could turn the steering wheel on the sword for a bigger attack.

I hope this pace keeps up beyond next week's episode.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also why is the CGI a lot more obvious in this ep? Holy shit that truck and Yellow's green screen.

This week's Drive was really good. I'm glad shit is starting to get real. Formula appearing via Senna Ex Machina was kind of stupid, but I can live with it.

About Ninninger, I get the impression that Red/Blue/White are analogous to Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura, at least in terms of personality.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Apparently, Japanese viewers were already calling Red the new Prince Ondul (aka Kenzaki from Blade).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What does that mean exactly?

Kenzaki in Kamen Rider Blade is infamous for having a horrible pronunciation.

"Hontou ni" sounded like "Onduru" when Kenzaki said it in episode 1 (when he's asking if Tachibana betrayed him), and that's memetic in Japan...that's more or less what those crazy NicoNico Blade videos are about.

Also "BORO BORO DA!" and "MUKUROS!"

isny

napkin dispenser
Wow, once again impressed by the original footage in Dino Charge. The episode was 23 minutes give or take, and only four minutes was sentai footage, the remaining 15 minutes or so was all original footage.

WarRock

This week's Drive was really good. I'm glad shit is starting to get real. Formula appearing via Senna Ex Machina was kind of stupid, but I can live with it.

About Ninninger, I get the impression that Red/Blue/White are analogous to Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura, at least in terms of personality.
Well, now I know how I am going to refer to Type Formula until the end of the show.

javadoze

Nin^2ger 3

-More scenes of the team doing ninja stuff. Really glad they're actually showing their training and having them do more ninja-related things that don't limit them to slapping discs on swords and call it ninpo.

-So many flips and stuff during fighting scenes, plus Yellow hanging off the truck was also pretty interesting in terms of physical stuff... and then there's that rollerskating yokai...

-Red definitely looks the part of a Red, but he sounds totally out of it. Hopefully he grows into it and doesn't succumb to becoming Prince Ondul Jr (well, okay, maybe he already is that...).

-Yellow is kinda... eh? He doesn't really particularly do anything quite interesting this episode despite it seeming like a focus for him. Whatever. At least Pink is climbing the ranks in being the best Ninninger for me (and secretly being the most competant of them all).

Tiu Neo

Give drive senna colors, and watch it be the most popular toku show in brazil

I saw a lot of people in their late 20s~early 30s get interested in the series here thanks to that. People who watched Black/RX, and Senna races. Just imagine how it would be if it he used the more iconic MacLaren colors. (It would be too similar to Dead Heat, so not good :p)

Pink is gonna get Mako'd. :(

I hope she doesn't. In any sense. Mako was the only Shinkenger I didn't really like, and even I was pissed with what they did to her.

Seeing how Kasumi plays the same role as Mako right now, I can see that happening :(

WarRock

Oh yeah, the rollerskating monster was impressive. How hard is it to fight with the costume while balancing yourself with rollers?

isny

napkin dispenser
Oh yeah, the rollerskating monster was impressive. How hard is it to fight with the costume while balancing yourself with rollers?

I have a feeling we won't be seeing that monster in the U.S. adaptation, lol

I'm definitely digging the GoBusters "turn everyday object into monster" thing Nin has going for it. The henshin and finisher songs are also pretty catchy. "Nanja nanja nanja nan ja?

BatDan

Kamen Rider Gaim (series complete)

That was a thrill ride.
This was probably the most "anime" season of KR I've seen, foregoing the MotW formula for something much more serialized (more than usual) and grander in scale. Considering Urobuchi's past work, the comparison is apt.
Kouta was fun but a bit grating at times (especially when he couldn't see Micchy was a little bastard), and even with the looming apocalypse (more than usual) he still managed to win.
Micchy was a slimy little bastard. He got better at the end, and in a way I could see why he did what he did, but god damn.
Kaito was pretty good too. His focus on power keeping him going made for a good foil to Kouta.
Even after my last update, I still wonder more and more how they got away with this series on children's TV. Like Ryoma outright committing suicide.
Oh, speaking of Ryoma, I get that Aesir wanted to translate Sengoku for the Driver, but that really bit them when Ryoma revealed he named the Drivers after himself, and it was always awkward to see "Ryoma Warring". Just another "Go-BusterOh/Go-BusterKing" situation.

I'm looking forward to all the future Gaim projects. Like the Gaiden movies and the Movie War with Drive.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What happened with Saban?

Note 7 seconds in

Might be something I don't know

cNXVBrz.png

It's the Red Powerful Ranger btw, you can tell from the collar.

Either it's something or they're asking to not exist again.

Also the guy is dressed in cardboard not unlike Akagi

BatDan

Note 7 seconds in

Might be something I don't know

cNXVBrz.png

It's the Red Powerful Ranger btw, you can tell from the collar.

Either it's something or they're asking to not exist again.

Also the guy is dressed in cardboard not unlike Akagi

Might just be a subtle Akibaranger reference.
*shrugs*

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Even after my last update, I still wonder more and more how they got away with this series on children's TV. Like Ryoma outright committing suicide.

I never really saw it as that, honestly. I saw it as Ryoma stumbling from the effects of Kaito's beatdown and accidentally falling over the edge for dramatic effect (he was clearly already dead/dying anyway).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ninninger 03

Okay episode this week, the villians were the highlight of the episode for me. Red ranger is starting to annoy me and I hope they tone down his I am getting fired up spirit.

Kasumi however continues to toy with my heart, she is soooo beautiful.

Drive 21.

Soo erm that troll tease of of type Formula.

Anyway the episode was okay, I like how they touch on Mach and Drive sharing Dead Heat being a problem.

Medic lying to Heart is interesting which makes me think that she will be the final villain.

Anyway it looks like next week episode is finally putting Chase being evil storyline to an end.

Pink is gonna get Mako'd. :(

What does that mean?

WarRock

Mr Joker, watch Shinkenger. The girls always got the short end of everything even when in focus episodes or when they deserved plot attention/power ups/whatever much more than the other characters.

@Chroma Squad
I'm not fan of the genre, but it's a nice game with pedigree made by fellow brazilians about toku (and they survived a little Saban persecution!). May have to give them some money.

ReiGun

What does that mean?

Mr Joker, watch Shinkenger. The girls always got the short end of everything even when in focus episodes or when they deserved plot attention/power ups/whatever much more than the other characters.

Basically this. With Mako (ShinkenPink), it hurt especially because the show starts off making it clear she's one of the better samurai on the team. And yet, she was constantly pushed into the background. In one early episode, she had to give up a mecha she earned and was easily qualified to use to ShinkenGreen (the worst samurai on the team) more or less because he whined. Even for this to be a "boy's show," it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

And now we got Kasumi out here stylin' and profilin'; being obviously the most qualified to be Last Ninja. Which worries me that the writers shit on her like Mako and force her into the background.

Top Bottom