• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

well depends on the writers, we'll see how it goes...I just want my Fuuka and Kasumi episodes, preferably separate and not lumped together.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

MNqW0KO.png

Hey, Chroma Squad is coming out on my birthday! I really don't like "final fantasy tactics" gameplay and the Kairosoft games (Game Dev Story, you know, company management sims, which Chroma Squad is) never really grabbed me, but I do love Tokusatsu and it is my birthday.....

Hey, it's coming out on my birthday! Nice!

...wait a second!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Watching YuYu Hakusho, during the Dark Tournament there's a "Gorenja" team that goes up against Team Toguro. They're even named the same, too, "Akarenja", "Aorenja", etc.

It...it doesn't end well for them.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Watching YuYu Hakusho, during the Dark Tournament there's a "Gorenja" team that goes up against Team Toguro. They're even named the same, too, "Akarenja", "Aorenja", etc.

It...it doesn't end well for them.

http://yuyuhakusho.wikia.com/wiki/Team_Gorenja
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSIxEhK4hc&t=124

huh. I never noticed that (because the dubbed version I watched probably doesn't even acknowledge it, like the American Dubbed one apparently does). Man, they don't even get a proper introduction...

Link1110

Episode 3 was as good as ever and even introduced a Shinken staple to the series - the superfluous mech battle. What was that even there for besides selling toys and padding the running time?

Too bad that left a bad taste in my mouth because I was enjoying reds fight scene with the new general. This series is VERY red and white heavy so far. I hope they develop the other three Rangers as well, but there's still plenty of time for that so I'm not overly concerned yet.

Corgi

Banned
always curious how the girl sentai toys sell in japan. the girl ranger keys were like Con exclusive stuff in the US.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
always curious how the girl sentai toys sell in japan. the girl ranger keys were like Con exclusive stuff in the US.

I have to imagine almost on the level as the others (that aren't Red). Kids like having the entire team around.
In fact, that's also why PR did well back in the day. They sold all five Rangers instead of this moronic "boys only mentality"

"I can't play without the entire team, where's the Yellow and Pink Ranger?"
"Ha ha, sorry little Billy. They're girls, and you don't like girls"
"But I want the entire te-"
"BUY WHAT YOU GET YOU ENTITLED SHIT!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I have to imagine almost on the level as the others (that aren't Red). Kids like having the entire team around.
In fact, that's also why PR did well back in the day. They sold all five Rangers instead of this moronic "boys only mentality"

It does explain the battlizer thing though in LR

NeonZ

Action figures are a fairly minor part of the modern Sentai toyline though (you can see a shift in the late 90s/early 90s by the disappearance of staples like normal sized vehicles, which mostly make sense for action figures - once in a while we still get them, but they aren't permanent presences anymore).

And there usually aren't even villain figures in the mainline collection (only in some fan focused merchandising, and even so that's more common for Rider). I really don't get that kind of preference though - how can you even play with action figures if there are only heroes? But that model seems to be true for most Japanese franchises, not only Rider and Sentai.

Corgi

Banned
Almost all SH Figuarts of girl characters in KR/Sentai is Web Exclusive, to give you a start.

well don't think the sh figuarts are what the kids are buying.

Even so... I guess the girls in jp would be more interested in Precure or aikatsu or something.

BatDan

Even so... I guess the girls in jp would be more interested in Precure or aikatsu or something.

Eiichiro Oda's daughters certainly are.

ReiGun

Even still, I can't imagine that there aren't some little girls in Japan who stick around to watch Sentai after Precure finishes that wouldn't mind having a Momo Ninjer or Shiro Ninjer.

But then, I'm sure Toei has numbers to back up their decisions so eh.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
if there are people who buy Wonder Woman stuff, surely there are those that buy female figures for the sake of having a complete team right?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Even still, I can't imagine that there aren't some little girls in Japan who stick around to watch Sentai after Precure finishes that wouldn't mind having a Momo Ninjer or Shiro Ninjer.

But then, I'm sure Toei has numbers to back up their decisions so eh.

Arent there grown men who buy female figurines in droves? Im suprised they arent catered to.

ReiGun

if there are people who buy Wonder Woman stuff, surely there are those that buy female figures for the sake of having a complete team right?
Right. I remember being a kid and wanting all the rangers. The idea that there are some boys who are cool with only have four rangers is foreign to me and I'd imagine a lot of other guys my age.

Arent there grown men who buy female figurines in droves? Im suprised they arent catered to.

Yup. Boys too, I'm sure.

I'd love to see the actual data they're using. Namely units shipped against units sold. Cause it could also be a YJ or Avatar situation, where the female toys sell less because there are simply less of them or they flat out don't exist.

Midonin

I like this theory, except for the part where Precure airs after Sentai. Right after Kamen Rider, actually.

Speaking of the figures do they ever make any of the actors you know unmorphed/transformed

Medicom's Real Action Heroes line for Kamen Rider has a number of them ranging from Showa to Heisei (Think something along of Hot Toys figures, especially the price tag - though not as quite detailed).

Outside of that, there was the Souchaku Henshin line...which wasn't too great, ESPECIALLY with head proportions.

ReiGun

I like this theory, except for the part where Precure airs after Sentai. Right after Kamen Rider, actually.

Really? I always thought it came on before. Huh.

Well, I think there are some girls who wake up early enough for Sentai who'd like a Shiro/Momo Ninjer. :p

WillyFive

There are next to no TV ads aimed specifically for girls during Sentai or Rider. It's usually all stuff for little boys or for older women (presumably the parents watching with their kids).

MrJames079

Neo Member
Garo - Yami Wo Terasu Mono
Just finished marathoning through this in time for the new season thats starting next month.
Overrall I'd say its probably the weakest of the four seasons, character development for anyone except Ryuga and Rian is pretty much nonexistant and the lack of physical suits for the Horrors or the Armour really brings down the fight scene quality. The Knights of the series also very rarely summon their armour, normally only for finishing moves. The only physical effects for horrors are terrible Buffy tier masks that some of them wear.
The story also had a few plot points that were seemingly left to the side like how Garo lost its Golden Shine in the first place

On the bright side, the choreography for the out of suit fights was top notch as always and the Villain Sonshi is one cool motherfucker. Its a good watch but it falls short in comparison the other seasons.
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/XHRjyiH.png[/img]
Gold Storm has already solved one problem I have with the addition of a Beautiful looking suit for Ryugas new form of Garo so I am cautiously looking forward to it

Jaeger

Just got through watching the first three eps of Ninninger. I like it. Ninjas are cool.
Not sold on the 6th ranger yet. But We will see. he's def interesting design wise. But its wayy too early to call it either way. Maybe there will be more than one special ranger.

8dCwFjd.png

Like the logo, too.

Garo - Yami Wo Terasu Mono
Just finished marathoning through this in time for the new season thats starting next month.
Overrall I'd say its probably the weakest of the four seasons, character development for anyone except Ryuga and Rian is pretty much nonexistant and the lack of physical suits for the Horrors or the Armour really brings down the fight scene quality. The Knights of the series also very rarely summon their armour, normally only for finishing moves. The only physical effects for horrors are terrible Buffy tier masks that some of them wear.
The story also had a few plot points that were seemingly left to the side like how Garo lost its Golden Shine in the first place

On the bright side, the choreography for the out of suit fights was top notch as always and the Villain Sonshi is one cool motherfucker. Its a good watch but it falls short in comparison the other seasons.
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/XHRjyiH.png[/img]
Gold Storm has already solved one problem I have with the addition of a Beautiful looking suit for Ryugas new form of Garo so I am cautiously looking forward to it

How funny, I just rewatched this as well. Sonshi is played by Yasuaki Kurata, who was in many HK movies, and also he fought Bolo Yeung in Tatakae! Dragon and G-Men 75. He can still tear it up.

BatDan

Heisei vs Showa Rider Wars

I mostly wanted to see this just for Hiroshi Fujika. While his scenes were awesome, the movie was... kind of a clusterfuck.
I get the feeling I'd care more for Faiz's plight if I actually saw Faiz. But until there's non-Nihon subs, I'll have to wait. Though I hear it's not that good to begin with.
The movie was so Rider focused that it's easy to forget Super Sentai is involved. My mind got whiplash when General Schwartz showed up out of nowhere. Then Daigo appears out of nowhere, and really only him? You couldn't get the other five? Then the ToQgers show up. Their roles basically amount to "We're in the movie now!"
By the way Momotaros, you are not the grandfather of Toku Trains. That title belongs to GoGoFive.
Also, something about Wizard's appearance weirded me out. He shows up to the battle already transformed, so I assumed they couldn't get Shunya to reprise his role. But then Faiz attacks him and he de-transforms and there's Haruto. I guess it felt odd that he didn't join the group Henshin with Gaim, Decade, and Faiz.
I think Toei needs to not focus on Riderman's face so much. It's extremely distracting to see a young guy's face, especially when standing next to old and chunky Takeshi Hongo, and they're from the same generation.

I don't understand the hate for the Showa seasons. Sure they're old and cheesy, but that doesn't mean they're bad. It's like the 1960's Batman show.

Despite this movie's many problems, I look forward to seeing the Grand Prix movie subbed.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
General Schwartz showed up out of nowhere

That was the worst. Pretty sure nothing else related to the shadow line shows up in the movie, except for the Toqgers. At least when they show up randomly or Daigo shows up randomly they do something from that point on.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There are next to no TV ads aimed specifically for girls during Sentai or Rider. It's usually all stuff for little boys or for older women (presumably the parents watching with their kids).

He doesn't know about the fujoshi

ReiGun

The Wizard thing in Rider Wars was odd because it came so late and I had no idea why he suddenly started getting focused on.

Takumi was there because of the whole theme of the number five (Faiz and X are the fifth riders of their respective gens, Kamen Rider Fifteen, Gaim is the 15th Heisei rider, etc). Shotaro had a bit of importance in the plot, as did Takeshi. Haruto just felt random, like they put him in just because they could get the actor back.

I still don't quite get the Showa vs Heisei thing. I mean, I read comics, so I'm used to writers finding razor thin reasons for heroes to fight each other, but this just felt lazy. It just felt like the Showa riders were just being dicks.

Speaking of, between this and the OOO crossover movie, I gotta call it: the Showa riders are bad at strategy. They keep coming up with these plans where they just work for the bad guys until the 11th hour and then reveal it was a trick...and then it hardly matters because the bad guys have just about won. ZX oversaw the entire building of this doomsday weapon and waited until it was finished to finally be like "Let's me stop this thing. Henshin!"

And yes. Sentai had nothing to do with any of this. I expect the Nininnger to get the same treatment in Gran Prix.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Picked up PaonMaru. It's pretty cool! It has 3 different transofrmations, merges with Shurikenjin, and the transformation sounds are really catchy and cool (reminds me of Gaim stuff but a little goofier)

NeonZ

The Toqger's participation in Heisei vs Showa works a bit better if you watch Gaim vs Toqger, since then it's like they're repaying a favor for Rider 1 when they appear in the final battle. Daigo is still completely out of nowhere though.

Speaking of, between this and the OOO crossover movie, I gotta call it: the Showa riders are bad at strategy. They keep coming up with these plans where they just work for the bad guys until the 11th hour and then reveal it was a trick...and then it hardly matters because the bad guys have just about won. ZX oversaw the entire building of this doomsday weapon and waited until it was finished to finally be like "Let's me stop this thing. Henshin!"

The main issue there is that they didn't know where Badan's base or the weapon was, which was why ZX needed to infiltrate Badan. If they hadn't done that though, Badan likely could have started up their machine without even bothering to surface. They only did that to draw out ZX in the first place (and even if they hadn't surfaced ZX could have summoned everyone to the underground itself with the lockseeds).

shaowebb

Finally catching up to Kamen Rider Drive. I'm up to 22 and waiting for it to go up. Focusing on the Chaser and Medic characters has improved the show a good bit since I last watched around ep 15. Its not up there to Gaim's level but its becoming a really good show in its own right considering the last 6 episodes bringing up some serious stuff that was good with both the straight edge cop , the scientist, and the otaku on the team. They just needed to add some more depth and strength to the cast I guess so folks could care more about what happens to them.

Ya done good Drive. Show's feeling better now. Kiriko needs to be a Rider at some point IMO. Too good not to. Still wish there was a something deeper to the main character to give him more to overcome and grow with. I liked how Hino Eiji in OOO's had the backstory of what happened that was so traumatic when he was visiting other countries trying to help folks and what he saw during that war zone. I really wish they'd just add something to Drive like "there was something more to the night my partner got hurt that I'm not telling" so that they could focus on his own very traumatic failing in the past more.

Finally catching up to Kamen Rider Drive. I'm up to 22 and waiting for it to go up. Focusing on the Chaser and Medic characters has improved the show a good bit since I last watched around ep 15. Its not up there to Gaim's level but its becoming a really good show in its own right considering the last 6 episodes bringing up some serious stuff that was good with both the straight edge cop , the scientist, and the otaku on the team. They just needed to add some more depth and strength to the cast I guess so folks could care more about what happens to them.

Ya done good Drive. Show's feeling better now. Kiriko needs to be a Rider at some point IMO. Too good not to. Still wish there was a something deeper to the main character to give him more to overcome and grow with. I liked how Hino Eiji in OOO's had the backstory of what happened that was so traumatic when he was visiting other countries trying to help folks and what he saw during that war zone. I really wish they'd just add something to Drive like "there was something more to the night my partner got hurt that I'm not telling" so that they could focus on his own very traumatic failing in the past more.

Kiriko is awesome because she's not a Rider. She's regularly saved Drive's ass WITHOUT needed a fancy suit. Plus her upgraded bullets and kick'em shoes are what sets her apart from other Rider girls.

And hell no, let's not loop some contrived torrid backstory into Drive's character. The guy basically has depression from "that night" and now he wants to do the right thing. No need to make up shit on the fly. Eiji's story worked because it was immediately part of his character. This would be an asspull.

Thank god they explained how Chase got stronger. Before, he just got magically stronger or weaker.

NeonZ

We don't know why Shinnosuke supposedly is the only one who can use Drive, so we might get some new backstory reveal regarding that... or it might just be completely ignored and forgotten later, like Gentaro and the Fourze Driver.

shaowebb

We don't know why Shinnosuke supposedly is the only one who can use Drive, so we might get some new backstory reveal regarding that... or it might just be completely ignored and forgotten later, like Gentaro and the Fourze Driver.

Bet he's a roidmude and that the real Shinnosuke died that night. Least that's how I'd serve it up ;)

ReiGun

Bet he's a roidmude and that the real Shinnosuke died that night. Least that's how I'd serve it up ;)

Faiz did it!

The main issue there is that they didn't know where Badan's base or the weapon was, which was why ZX needed to infiltrate Badan. If they hadn't done that though, Badan likely could have started up their machine without even bothering to surface. They only did that to draw out ZX in the first place (and even if they hadn't surfaced ZX could have summoned everyone to the underground itself with the lockseeds).
But why wait so long? ZX could have called in the squad long before they even surfaced or finished the weapon.

Idk. At least it wasn't as bad as #1 and #2 serving Shocker for like a decade before finally revealing themselves in the OOO movie.

javadoze

If it turned out that only Roidmudes can use the Drive Driver, that'd be pretty funny (especially considering the need for human emotions to access Types Wild & Technic).

BatDan

Dino Charge 06

We're already six episodes in? If the episode synopses are true, then the hiatus will begin in a month after Episode 10. Seriously, Saban Brands need to dump Nickelodeon for Netflix or something.

It feels like every episode has a response to the criticism towards the Tzachor seasons. Like the mentor actually doing some mentoring, and setting up future events with the team mentioning the Gold Energem at the beginning of the episode.
I love the original ways they're introducing the monsters. Instead of simply being a plan to make people "happy", Poisandra wanted an "awful" wedding cake for people to always remember and freed the deadly pastry chef to make it happen.

I like that they kept the joke where Chase was in too much pain to finish the roll call and they just moved along.
I know people are complaining about the overuse of "Hotshot", but I don't mind it. It's a good nickname.
And hey, an actual callback with that line about "focusing".

Next week has the Anklyo Zord, meaning we finally see the Aqua Ranger. As cool as getting Robert Baldwin would be, it's likely not going to be him. Especially when the news just broke that he opened a bar in Japan.

Top Bottom