• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

LostAnkh

You could have made Go-Busters be about Jin and J fighting Enter, rebrand it as a Metal Heroes show, and it would be a lot better.

The real life sounds the sparks make are better than the SFX used on the show.
It's also a lot better than the Shinkenger spark effects, because those just sounded like those rocks that pop when you throw them at the ground.

NeonZ

its a bit odd... wasn't ninblue at a similar level as red like 2 eps ago? Now he's 'not red' tier with everyone else

Eh, in episode 3, Blue did better against the monster of the week while Red did better against the general. In episode 4, they were both evenly bad against the monster of the week when fighting by themselves, although blue then led the team to victory. However, red got to keep his arm unwrapped during the mecha battle. Next episode it looks like Blue is taking over the mecha again.

They seem pretty evenly matched to me, it's just that Red is a hothead aways jumping ahead of the others and attempting to do everything by himself, while Blue generally stays back and cooperates with the other team members. That doesn't make him weaker though.

On the other hand, I have to say that Shift Cars are a far superior collectible knick-knack when compared to stuff like Lock Seeds or Astro Switches or what have you - they're toy cars! What can a child do with a Lock Seed?

The Shift cars look really cheap compared to other toy car lines, and the toys have no sound effects or any gimmick by themselves. It's all in the belt. The lockseeds had a much larger number of sounds and were just better looking. Drive's toyline actually was reported to have been underperforming during holidays.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I also thought Formula would have the powers of the other shift cars due to the stickers, but it's just styling.

NeonZ

Need better look to fully judge the suit but I am liking what I am seeing so far, just wanna know why Mach is fighting him. <(¬_¬)>

I'm pretty sure it's just Mach being "All Roidmudes must die!". Chase doesn't seem to be reacting at all, and I doubt they'd make a new Rider being badly beaten up for real so soon.

Boss Doggie

why do I get that it has the implications that Rinko is keeping her husbando in her house/apartment

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'd much rather Riders start using their own more often than them swapping. Drive, like a lot of these newer heroes, have a lot of god damn toys that can do different things, but are usually forgotten outside of their debut episodes. I was so so surprised to see dimension cab used again two weeks ago.

javadoze

I'd much rather Riders start using their own more often than them swapping. Drive, like a lot of these newer heroes, have a lot of god damn toys that can do different things, but are usually forgotten outside of their debut episodes. I was so so surprised to see dimension cab used again two weeks ago.

I wish we had more fight directors like Sakamoto who are more willing to use various widgets, no matter how convoluted, in fighting scenes.

(That shuttle launch-site fight with the 40 switch extravaganza in the Fourze movie comes to mind.)

Boss Doggie

Fourze managed to avoid that personally because his "toys" do not really take up most of him and are most just tools.

New History of Power Rangers. RPM.

4 videos.

From what I've heard, Samurai is planned for Summer and Megaforce is planned for Christmas.
I also heard that he's going to review Episodes 17-22 of Zyuranger in August thanks to a Pateron donation.

Surprised no one updated the other thread... wait, 17-22? What about 1-16?

He got my thoughts actually pretty accurately, though I thought Venjix's defeat was fine. Was expecting him harping the "too similar to Andromeda" and "Dome Dolls" points but it seems he didn't mind them. Though I kinda wish he noticed that Doctor K has some childishness in her - it connects to her pajamas and slippers, as well as the zord designs.

WarRock

Easily the worst flaw in Drive is how poorly they are handling the fighting styles and power ups. Until last episode he never used the gun again, and since he got the sword he uses it every episode, usually paired with Wild for no discernible reason.

His cool unarmed style and the shoulder tackles he used to do while in Wild disappeared.

But there is a problem in how the Shift Cars work. At first I thought all of them would be powers (Max Flare and Midnight Shadow), but them we got those random ass weapons (Monster and the police car jail thingies) that add nothing to his base style and/or are situational as fuck. There is no way to justify what to use or when.

And could I ask for no more grappling hook/ropes? Fourze, Birth and Drive have it and use them randomly to snatch fleeing monsters but never to do anything interesting, yet its usage is so simple and obvious, we end up seeing it more than other powers.

vareon

There's a perfect chance for type Technic to be the limited-movement but high accuracy type, complimenting Technic's bulky and impractical figure. It was acted for... 10 seconds. Then it was flailing around as usual.

WillyFive

ToQger vs. Kyoryugers

Yes, the morph and roll call was nice (haven't had a really exciting teamup roll call like this in years), but the movie as a whole was really bad. The action and directing was really flat and lifeless, made the whole movie look as bland and cheap as the SHT movies. Especially when you compare the Kyoryugers and Ninningers in their own shows/movies compared to their scenes here.

The Kyoryugers were given bit parts as well and the story as a whole seemed a lot more childish than past teamups. However, all the Utchy and Akira scenes were great; those two are bros.

Also, the segment with the ToQgers as kids really brought home the point that the entire show should have been with Beetleborg-like kid rangers, it would have made the show's tone a lot more appropriate.

4 videos.

From what I've heard, Samurai is planned for Summer and Megaforce is planned for Christmas.
I also heard that he's going to review Episodes 17-22 of Zyuranger in August thanks to a Pateron donation.

First of all, did he seriously did a 4 hour video series and didn't bother to correct the aspect ratio?! What in the world!?

And once again with the inane ranting; seems like he wants to be like Voltage Vengerz. Saw the first part, might watch the rest later if I remember to do it.

I wish we had more fight directors like Sakamoto who are more willing to use various widgets, no matter how convoluted, in fighting scenes.

(That shuttle launch-site fight with the 40 switch extravaganza in the Fourze movie comes to mind.)

That fight from the Fourze movie is still my favorite fight scene from any Kamen Rider material.

Mr-Joker

Banned
You know I really like Mach belt voice actor. Not that Drive is bad either just prefer Chase.

I also think W and OOO are the only time I liked the primary rider over the secondary riders.

I'm pretty sure it's just Mach being "All Roidmudes must die!". Chase doesn't seem to be reacting at all, and I doubt they'd make a new Rider being badly beaten up for real so soon.

Yeah, that's probably it.

I can't wait till
Chase
snatches one of Mach's Signal Bikes from his hand and uses it.

Same

4 videos.

Cool I check it out later.

OXa88Jq.jpg

So I guess there's no chance of Drive Type Homer huh.. :(

Boss Doggie

First of all, did he seriously did a 4 hour video series and didn't bother to correct the aspect ratio?! What in the world!?

And once again with the inane ranting; seems like he wants to be like Voltage Vengerz. Saw the first part, might watch the rest later if I remember to do it.

Uhh... RPM isn't HD.

Also what rant? He just talked about something like the Power Rangers fanfilm and his personal thoughts on multiple continuities. It's not the annoying ranting from Wild Force.

NeonZ

Wait they're actually playing those seriously? Web specials for these stupid spring movies have usually been fun and goofy.

Yep, they've decided to dump the humorous net movies (Gaim got none) but replace them with side stories closer in tone to the tv shows and movies. That's why we're getting this mini-series and Drive has multiple disc-only specials.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
...so?

What reason is there to stretch the image so that everything looks fat? HD has nothing to do with aspect ratio.
Looks 4:3 to me. Unless you're talking about the random Sentai footage within the show that Disney decided to stretch out to fit it all in their 4:3 frame.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dino Charge 07

Are shovels just the most powerful weapon in the Power Rangers universe now? Maybe Judd Lynn played a little too much Shovel Knight.
We got to see a preview of the future Purple Ranger in action, or Violet Ranger. Not sure what they're going to go with. Either way, good unmorphed fight scenes all around.
No Aqua Ranger... but they did foreshadow he (or she) exists already.
"I'm a lot smarter than you think" Villain in-fighting? Awesome!

Tiu Neo

ToQ vs Kyoryu

That... really highlighted some of the worst parts about each series. The Robot parts in speciall showed how bad both Kyoryu and ToQ combinations were, uck.

It had some sweet moments, like Akira and Utchy, and the final roll call with all the Kyoryugers, ToQgers and the Shadow Line, but most of the movie was... meh.

NeonZ

I was surprised that Kobayashi herself wrote Toq vs Kyo. She hadn't written a crossover since Go-onger vs Shinkenger, and there she reduced the Go-onger to one member during 80% of the movie. However, the result really wasn't good anyway. It suffered from a problem that all vs movies since Gokai vs Busters suffer too - the dramatic focus of the movie is entirely on the new team, while the veterans seem to be there just for fighting. It's kind of odd, since those 3 movies have had different writers, so it must be something coming from the production side. On the other hand, it didn't follow a neat format that all recent Vs movies followed too - in the last few years, all villains who participated in the movie were seemingly killed in the movie too, even the ones from the current tv show. However, here we get the Shadow line walking away just fine and the Kyoryuger apparently not caring...

The movie seemed to have some production problems too. Aside from children and babies, there was a lot of in suit footage, even outside of battles. The two casts only seemed to be together in two scenes, otherwise it always seemed to be a single actor with suit actors or the children actors, or a single actor from one show with the cast of the other show. The script also didn't sell Debius' threat very well. The Toqger were dreadfully scared and needed several scenes before going back to fighting just because they were knocked down once? Then, in the final battle, they don't even need to use their mecha to win and even pistols hurt a giant Debius who was supposed to be able to destroy the planet? Really?

Also, curiously, this movie seemed to ignore the Toqger's participation in Kamen Rider Taisen (expected), but also in Kyoryu vs Busters. Here, it seems like the Toqger never faced before any threat aside from the Shadow Line's shadow stations and that's even a big part of the drama they face, while there they knew about other Super Sentai and casually faced an enemy that had nothing to do with the Shadow Line and who was known as a threat to the entire world.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Glad ppl are finally seeing the TOQ vs Kyoryu movie. It was so bad compared to both of the kyoryu movies :(

WillyFive

I like how each new Sentai team up in recent years does something new by changing up the team up story structure; but ToQ vs Kyoryu is the worst of the Sentai teamups of the 2010s (not counting the SHT movies because they are extravagantly non-canon). This movie gives very little for fans of either team to like the film, and the lack of a good hook means that this was the worst box office grossing Sentai movie in a while (or was it ever?). For most of it felt like it should have been a TV special, too.

Top Bottom