• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Sounds like this year well start seeing him early mid april? Next week is the crossover special and then prolly after that they will start his storyline.

NeonZ

(not counting the SHT movies because they are extravagantly non-canon).

SHTGP might be explicitly canon since Drive kills Roidmude 102 in it before the time change stuff starts. The Sentai Vs series will probably continue ignoring it anyway.

WillyFive

on average what ep is the 6th ranger is added?

He is introduced when the 2nd quarter toy line is released; which depending on when the show starts could be as early as Episode 10 (like in Kyoryuger) or as late as the late 20's (Time Fire from Timeranger appeared in the 30's, but that's because I think his toys were part of a later quarter).

The vast majority of the time it's around episodes 16-20.

Slayven

He is introduced when the 2nd quarter toy line is released; which depending on when the show starts could be as early as Episode 10 (like in Kyoryuger) or as late as the late 20's (Time Fire from Timeranger appeared in the 30's, but that's because I think his toys were part of a later quarter).

The vast majority of the time it's around episodes 16-20.

Well Time Fire was great

Corgi

Banned
always wondered... when do kids in japan typically grow out of sentai and go into... idk, light novels/manga/anime?

Tiu Neo

on average what ep is the 6th ranger is added?

As early as 10, or as late as... early 20s? Normally by 15-18. I hope Burgerninja is one of the earlier cases, he looks cool and the series need to shift focus from red.

-

A friend wants to watch Garo or a Kamen Rider. I'll probably watch it with her. Which season is the best to start with Garo, the first one?

Also, which Kamen Rider would you recommend? She loved Kiva, and hated Decade.

Corgi

Banned
As early as 10, or as late as... early 20s? Normally by 15-18. I hope Burgerninja is one of the earlier cases, he looks cool and the series need to shift focus from red.

-

A friend wants to watch Garo or a Kamen Rider. I'll probably watch it with her. Which season is the best to start with Garo, the first one?

Also, which Kamen Rider would you recommend? She loved Kiva, and hated Decade.

garo season 1.

KR... depends on what she likes, but kabuto/W/fourze/gaim are the fan favs.

Tiu Neo

garo season 1.

KR... depends on what she likes, but kabuto/W/fourze/gaim are the fan favs.

Thanks!

No bit limitations, I think. She does like the less lighthearted series a bit more, so she'll probably like Fourze less than the others? Since I don't know a lot about Kamen Rider, it's kinda hard for me to judge.

EDIT: She wants to watch Kabuto first, apparently there's an actor she likes there. Thanks!

Corgi

Banned
Thanks!

No bit limitations, I think. She does like the less lighthearted series a bit more, so she'll probably like Fourze less than the others? Since I don't know a lot about Kamen Rider, it's kinda hard for me to judge.

EDIT: She wants to watch Kabuto first, apparently there's an actor she likes there. Thanks!

kabuto and gaim are probably the most 'dark' riders we've had in a while.

well... I guess wizard is pretty 'dark', but more boring than dark.

Tiu Neo

kabuto and gaim are probably the most 'dark' riders we've had in a while.

well... I guess wizard is pretty 'dark', but more boring than dark.

She'll watch the more lighthearted ones too, but it'll be better if it's a darker one first. It'll be Kabuto first and Gaim after that, then.

Since I'll probably finish Dekaranger next week too, I'll choose a more lighthearted sentai to watch alongside. Maybe finally Carranger, if they finish subbing it.

javadoze

Does Kabuto have proper subs yet? I've seen clips and it looks badass.

I don't think there's any alternative to TVN yet. I think there's a scrub project out there (Clocked-up Scrubs) but it still uses TVN's scripts and seems to be dead.

Sadly, there isn't a group to walk the path of heaven yet.

Does Kabuto have proper subs yet? I've seen clips and it looks badass.

Yoooooo. I worked on those Kabuto subs. That shit was my last project at TVN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lvGGaSXRQ
NRm7rY0.png

Look at that karaoke! I coded that shit by hand. Those fonts were my choice! I walked the path of heaven!

javadoze

ToQger VS Kyoryuger movie thing

-The parts with the ToQgers as kids really makes me wish the whole show had them like that.
-Could they really not schedule all the actors to appear together outside of, like, 2 scenes?
-I really love the fact that King doesn't take the ToQgers seriously at all at the beginning (seeing how they couldn't handle basic paramonsters). Sick burn by Kobayashi on her own team.
-I love the moments between Akira and Utchy. The whole movie should've had moments like those between them.
-The ending rollcall was awesome, but the ending fight was...
Can you even call that a fight?

Overall if you have your expectations set low, this movie is a pretty good ToQger episode. Otherwise, as a teamup movie, it's rather mediocre.

Yoooooo. I worked on those Kabuto subs. That shit was my last project at TVN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lvGGaSXRQ

Look at that karaoke! I coded that shit by hand. Those fonts were my choice! I walked the path of heaven!
Even if Kabuto tripped on itself in its second half, the OP is still pretty amazing.

You worked at TVN?
Is Takenoko as much of a dictator as everyone says?

Yeah, I did typesetting or karaoke for Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Dekaranger, and Gransazer. I believe they replaced my work on Ryuki and Faiz with the HD subs, but everything else is still mine. I'm listed as either YourSurrogateGod, FallenIcon, or AutomaticZen (I was working through some shit).

And when I was in, Kingranger was still running things. Take is fine.

Even if Kabuto tripped on itself in its second half, the OP is still pretty amazing.

Kabuto is uneven as hell. Best goddamn suit designs though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I was talking about Ninninger with a friend and she described it as "a dumb kids show that makes me happy when I watch it" and I pretty much agree with her.

The jokes are still aimed at children, but they're funny in a way that ToQger wasn't. I'm liking it so far.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Was it really this early last year that they had the crossover?

Cause I remember by this point I was already not feeling ToQGer

The crossover aired after ToQger 6. Seems this is a new tradition now. A KR crossover early in the Sentai's life.

WillyFive

Niibori Kazuo receives the Special Achievement Award at the 2015 Japan Action Awards for his various works on tokusatsu.

He played:

Kamen Rider (1971) - Shocker Combatman, Kamen Rider 1, Kamen Rider 2
Kamen Rider V3 (1973) - Kamen Rider 1
Kamen Rider X (1974) - Kamen Rider X
Kamen Rider Amazon (1974) - Kamen Rider Amazon
Himitsu Sentai Gorenger (1975) - Akarenger
Kamen Rider Stronger (1975) - Kamen Rider Stronger
Daitetsujin 17 (1977) - 17
Battle Fever J (1979) - Battle Japan
Denshi Sentai Denziman (1980) - Denzi Red
Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan (1981) - Vul Eagle
Dai Sentai Goggle-V (1982) - Goggle Red
Kagaku Sentai Dynaman (1983) - Dyna Red
Choudenshi Bioman (1984) - Red One
Dengeki Sentai Changeman (1985) - Change Dragon
Choushinsei Flashman (1986) - Red Flash
Hikari Sentai Maskman (1987) - Red Mask
Choujuu Sentai Liveman (1988) - Red Falcon
Kousoku Sentai Turboranger (1989) - Red Turbo
Chikyū Sentai Fiveman (1990) - Five Red
Chōjin Sentai Jetman (1991) - Red Hawk

Tiu Neo

Niibori Kazuo receives the Special Achievement Award at the 2015 Japan Action Awards for his various works on tokusatsu.

He played:

Kamen Rider (1971) - Shocker Combatman, Kamen Rider 1, Kamen Rider 2
Kamen Rider V3 (1973) - Kamen Rider 1
Kamen Rider X (1974) - Kamen Rider X
Kamen Rider Amazon (1974) - Kamen Rider Amazon
Himitsu Sentai Gorenger (1975) - Akarenger
Kamen Rider Stronger (1975) - Kamen Rider Stronger
Daitetsujin 17 (1977) - 17
Battle Fever J (1979) - Battle Japan
Denshi Sentai Denziman (1980) - Denzi Red
Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan (1981) - Vul Eagle
Dai Sentai Goggle-V (1982) - Goggle Red
Kagaku Sentai Dynaman (1983) - Dyna Red
Choudenshi Bioman (1984) - Red One
Dengeki Sentai Changeman (1985) - Change Dragon
Choushinsei Flashman (1986) - Red Flash
Hikari Sentai Maskman (1987) - Red Mask
Choujuu Sentai Liveman (1988) - Red Falcon
Kousoku Sentai Turboranger (1989) - Red Turbo
Chikyū Sentai Fiveman (1990) - Five Red
Chōjin Sentai Jetman (1991) - Red Hawk

And, of course, himself on Akibaranger.

Well deserved!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, we've been saying that things like The Flash and Arrow are american Tokusatsu shows (and they are, by definition).

And then it turns out that Type Formula (which is faster than Type Speed... which... was supposed to be fast...) is just The Flash.

I'm ok with it. Formula One (in this case, it's most likely a reference to F1, giving the Helmet and blue of the suit) is great. I just wish the suit was less terrible looking.

Where's Type Stock?

Tiu Neo

This Drive episode was... ok. I kinda feel bad for Mach, too.

They'll reuse this roidmune for the special? If yes, then I'm ok with that. If we get another episode with this roidmune after the special... then it'll be another Roidmune that didn't need to be dragged on getting a two parter.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

They'll reuse this roidmune for the special? If yes, then I'm ok with that. If we get another episode with this roidmune after the special... then it'll be another Roidmune that didn't need to be dragged on getting a two parter.

Well, his core didn't explode (which I'd like to understand why, specially when Chase core DID while being defeated by Type Formula as well, which makes even less sense) and the human that he most likely used as a bridge to evolve was released, so it'll most likely show up on the episode after the Special.

Tiu Neo

Well, his core didn't explode (which I'd like to understand why, specially when Chase core DID while being defeated by Type Formula as well, which makes even less sense) and the human that he most likely used as a bridge to evolve was released, so it'll most likely show up on the episode after the Special.

Yeah, I was hoping he'd show up on the special, but it's probably as you say.
Well, maybe they'll do something interesting with the human.

NeonZ

I don't think the special is meant to take place between these two episodes since Mach will be in it and I doubt they'd show his big return in something like that. Although it's tied to the Rider 3 movie and Rider 4 mini-series and both of those involve a history changing machine suddenly rebooting the world.

I guess it could involve the history changing machine reseting the world, so he'd suddenly be back in action during this special but in the end when the world is restored he'd go back to having a broken driver. I think that's unlikely though. Either way, considering how the special is written by Riku Sanjo himself, it should fit in better alongside the other episodes than Gaim vs Toqger, which wasn't written by Gaim's main writer.

Xerotwo

Wonder why drive didn't use technic when looking for the bombs. That's like the entire point of that form.

Technic seems to be the slow and meticulous form, while type formula goes fast (since the bombs are pretty much invisible) :p

Speaking of which this week's episode
Gotta go fast, Sanic

Then again, yeah Technic can probably detect something like those darts

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Technically (lol) Technic isn't for finding bombs but dismantling / defusing them.

Also the name really feels like I'm promoting a gaudy Lego set. Yeah Lego Technic is gaudy, come at me bros!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
40th anniversary ep spoilers 4/9 episode
ninja red and hurricane red guest star for a special lesson. I thought the whole point of this was it was going to (before the delay) air 40 years from the first ep of goranger?

And also seems like 4/29 is when we get the beginning of star ninja story. Seems to involve yakumo and his mother?

Tiu Neo

40th anniversary ep spoilers 4/9 episode
ninja red and hurricane red guest star for a special lesson. I thought the whole point of this was it was going to (before the delay) air 40 years from the first ep of goranger?

And also seems like 4/29 is when we get the beginning of star ninja story. Seems to involve yakumo and his mother?

Guests? Cool, hope we get an episode with a Kakuranger too!

Top Bottom