• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dino Charge 08

Arrrgh, hiatuses. Fuck you Nickelodeon.
So much original footage. Hell, the same could be said for this entire season. It actually looks like the show has a budget now.
I did like the little touch of the fake Black Ranger buckling his seat belt. He may be a mindless mook, but he still follows the rules of the road.
It looks like they're going the "Fury is living armor" route since there was something sealed inside him. It might be Tyler's dad, but it might also be the Gold Ranger who is determined not to kill a good guy.
I do appreciate Tyler telling the others what he saw. Especially after last season where it took Troy 10 episodes to mention his Legend War dreams (then never mentioning them again), or never telling the others about Mavro after getting kidnapped.

... I can't blame PR for the fart joke. Because it was Megazord footage, that's all on Kyoryuger.

The wait for August/September is going to hurt. What Nickelodeon should do is air like 5 episodes during the Summer then the rest in the Fall.

Rajack

Ninninger 06

They're already pulling the Ninja Sentai team up card!
And in the series proper no less! :O

Kamen Rider Drive 24

Mach
finally controls Dead Heat!
Next episode looks interesting too!

BatDan

Ninninger 06

I'm really hoping that Takaharu's half-assed "I'm fired up" is intended to be that way... as a sort of "You're not really fired up, you're holding yourself back. When you let it all out, you can be truly fired up" or something like that. I mean, thousands of people audition to be Red, and THIS guy gets it?

Still a good episode though. Great fight scenes, liked the Tengu monster, and mech fights are still awesome.
Also, Sasuke and Yosuke! Considering Ninninger was delayed a week, it's more than likely that next week's episode was supposed to air this week. On the actual day of Sentai's 40th Anniversary.

Corgi

Banned
in the history of sentai/KR, has there ever been a person that did out of suit and in suit, or are they always separate?

BatDan

in the history of sentai/KR, has there ever been a person that did out of suit and in suit, or are they always separate?

Minami Tsukui (Yoko in Gaim) was the same in-suit and out.
Starting out, Hiroshi Fujioka did his own stunts, but ended up breaking his leg. This lead to the use of suit actors in all Toku productions and the introduction of Kamen Rider 2.

Corgi

Banned
now that I think about it... is there really a reason for riders and sentai to have 'covered faces' besides production logistics?

Identity has rarely mattered much, and its often just a running gag for the support cast.

They pretty much always transform right in front of the baddies too.

Tiu Neo

I think Kenji Ohba started as a suit actor and did some of his own stunts too. It was more common back then.

now that I think about it... is there really a reason for riders and sentai to have 'covered faces' besides production logistics?

Identity has rarely mattered much, and its often just a running gag for the support cast.

They pretty much always transform right in front of the baddies too.

I don't think many Sentai have secret identities. Hurricanger is the only one I remember that this kinda mattered.

Kamen Rider I've only watched Drive and a few Kabuto episodes, but on those they don't care at all about hiding it, at all. Fuck, Shinnosuke henshin'd right in front of Takaharu on the special, and they had only met. Drive support cast not knowing his identity is almost a joke right now.

ReiGun

W did the secret identity thing and it was hilarious. Shotaro rode around on the same bike as the Kamen Rider, transformed in front of all his enemies, and still no one knew.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 06:

Why they still make Takaharu scream "KITAA"? It's... patethic, how emotionless he does it, every time. I'm starting to believe that theory that this will become an plot point in the future. There's no other explanation, he can't be THAT bad.
(He probably is.)

And yet another episode that had too much focus on him. This series has a lot of potential, but Taka is kinda dragging it down. At least he showed some weakness, this weak. Hope the others get more time on the limelight, too.

The action scenes and even Mecha battles are still fun. Grandpa scenes are also great.

Next week, Sasuke and Yousuke! On one side, this means another red-focused episode, so eh. On the other, Sasuke is one of my favorite reds, and while I don't care too much for Yousuke, at least he's better than Taka, so I hope it focus more on the guests and less on AkaNinja.

Defuser

Blah, I was hoping Tsuruhime would make an appearance too. You can't have Sasuke without Tsuruhime keeps berating him..

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
b6hglvg.png

I admit. I'm feeling blah about Drive. It's not bad, but I'm not feeling it like Gaim. I think I'm on the same odd/even tip that I am with Sentai. W, Fourze, and Gaim were legit. OOO and Drive aren't bad, but they're not hooking me the same.

Pluto

A "lot" is an exaggeration, really - even if it's the actress herself claiming that. She had her own dedicated suit actor, so it can't have been that much.
The Hurricanger appeared with their visors open all the time, so the actors were in suit and on location a lot, it would make sense to have them do some of the suit acting, probably not stunt work but the regroup and nod scenes before they open their visors. The suit actors could film actual stunt work with another unit.

It's believable it was a lot compared to other seasons, even if the bulk of the suit acting was still done by a suit actor.

Tiu Neo

"This Last Ninja guy is saying HE defeated the Youkai? And you are saying you weak-ass untrained ninjas already defeated Gashadokuro and Tengu?"

They'll probably won't even say anything about this, but it's funny imagining those three sentai exist in the same universe, outside of crossover movies. :p

...or maybe Ninninger happens on the Gokaiger universe?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
mTJ69p8.jpg

I CAN'T BREATHE

s9bmUzX.gif

I like that they're getting secret identity revealed thing out of the way now. Especially for a show like Drive where he wears drive's equipment everywhere. I think one of my favorite episodes of Megaranger was the one where their identities were revealed. The next episode of Drive seems to take place in the same environment as that school.

BatDan

Drive 24

About time first appearance Gou is back. I hated whiny angry Gou. Though he should still get an upgrade beyond Dead Heat. Unless he's getting taken out of focus for
Chaser

Next week... about fucking time.

Also, that GIF of Mach is going to get a lot of use.

WarRock

Ninnin 6
God, Red sucks and the rest of the cast is a bunch of nobodies, we ain't getting Shinobimaru action anymore... it's telling that the last two seconds of the episode were more interesting than the rest.

Leo from Fourze, IIRC?

Tiu Neo

Drive 24

Gou deserved a better upgrade than Dead Heat. At least he can control that now.
Also, things are happening!
Kamen Rider Chaser
can't be far, now, right?

Needs a Brazzers logo.

If Kiriko doesn't become the 2nd Chaser or a Rider of her own then they've wasted the best character in the show. She just can't become new Rinko. Too much potential to waste.

Kamen Rider Kiriko would be awesome, but isn't there some story behind why she can't become one? I remember that being at least hinted in the beginning of the series.

Anyway, I hope they fix that and give her some powers. She deserves it.

WarRock

Haven't watched Drive yet, but yeah, she can't use the belt for some reason (similar to the Fourze Driver and Yuki). I'm just pissed she isn't using her kick boots anymore.

Kamen Rider Kiriko would be awesome, but isn't there some story behind why she can't become one? I remember that being at least hinted in the beginning of the series.

Anyway, I hope they fix that and give her some powers. She deserves it.

Haven't watched Drive yet, but yeah, she can't use the belt for some reason (similar to the Fourze Driver and Yuki). I'm just pissed she isn't using her kick boots anymore.

That's the point. She couldn't use the Drive Driver because she couldn't initially handle the power of the transformation. How else can you show a character coming full circle? By giving them the opportunity to destroy the roadblock that stopped them in the first place.

Chaser isn't going to make it to the end of the series and she'd be perfect to pick up the mantle when it happens.

At the moment is they aren't putting Kiriko in situations that would allow her to use her boots and gun. They're just warming up for Chaser and
Type Tridoron
so maybe once they've got that out of the way then maybe she goes back to doing Kiriko Kicks and such.

ReiGun

I figure Kiriko can't transform because Krim's Rider Systems are based on emotional state and Kiriko isn't a very emotional person.

vareon

This is not tokusatsu, but I just watched a review of DX Youkai Watch (the watch itself) and damn, what a simple concept to children. No wonder the medals are hot there. Japanese toys can get insanely creative yet simple.

Defuser

In anticipation for the crossover episode for Ninninger. I went to listen Secret Kakuranger theme song and hot damn, its still my favourite sentai theme song to listen to with it's shamisen playing.

Plus it came from the 90s, it really gives a nostalgic ninja feel. It's instrumental version is even better because of the awesome guitar solo.

It's a travesty it's theme song doesn't get played for most(all?) sentai anniversary song concerts and it's damn shame Kakuranger got bastardized into Alien Rangers.

Top Bottom