• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

javadoze

So about the new Ninninger toy catalog scans...

- Really loving the look of the team-wide upgrade
-The next logical upgrade for Shurikenjin being a bigger throne for it to sit in and to control an even bigger robot? I think I'm in love.
-Now all we need is an acting upgrade.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Starting to wonder if we're not getting a Battride War III. It should have been announced months ago if it were going to happen. Of course, I've been worried about the next Battride ever since Drive started, since Drive doesn't really mesh with Battride's whole "bike action" thing.

I'll be pissed if they kill the series before making secondaries playable. Unless they bring back Climax Heroes. That would be acceptable.

WillyFive

Starting to wonder if we're not getting a Battride War III. It should have been announced months ago if it were going to happen. Of course, I've been worried about the next Battride ever since Drive started, since Drive doesn't really mesh with Battride's whole "bike action" thing.

I'll be pissed if they kill the series before making secondaries playable. Unless they bring back Climax Heroes. That would be acceptable.

Namco has no idea what they're doing with the Rider/Sentai game series. Honestly, I'm just waiting for them to go iOS/mobile to get out over with already, because eventually that's where all licensed kids games go.

Slayven

We put a mecha in yo mecha so you can mecha while you mecha.

TZzxZ47.png

javadoze

Why do I have a feeling the Shurikenjin upgrade is going to roll around on treads this early on? I can't even imagine the final mech if that's the case.

So about the new Ninninger toy catalog scans...

- Really loving the look of the team-wide upgrade
-The next logical upgrade for Shurikenjin being a bigger throne for it to sit in and to control an even bigger robot? I think I'm in love.
-Now all we need is an acting upgrade.

Power-up for the boys only.
Yep. This is Shinkenger again.

Toys to Life is the business. It's SummonRide 4 Life now!

I think both Climax Heroes & Battride War have run their courses as far as Bamco is concerned. We would've heard something about either right around December if it was actually happening at all.

Climax Heroes just found footing as a stable fighter but like I've said before that if that's where it ends then it ended on a wonderful note.

Battride War has the space to expand by adding new riders and fleshing out the stories but even then there's only so much a medium like that can do to tell the stories we know and twist them around to tell stories we don't.

I do wonder how SummonRide actually did sales wise? If that is something they are going to start annualizing or will they go back to Battride War or Climax Heroes?

Time will tell.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I do wonder how SummonRide actually did sales wise? If that is something they are going to start annualizing or will they go back to Battride War or Climax Heroes?

Time will tell.

SummonRide did terribly. Like, catastrophically. It didn't even make the Top 50 on it's week of release. Meaning it sold somewhere less than a few thousand copies. Like, we only get numbers for the top 20 out of the 50, and 20 that week sold 7,784 copies. So SummonRide sold way, waaaaay less than that, even. That's why I doubt SummonRide is the future of Rider games. It sold like absolute shit. You can already find it for well under 2,000 yen just about anywhere.

EDIT: The best Amazon review I can find:

"KOTY大賞おめでとうございます!これを機にこれを作ったバンナムの開発チームはゲーム事業から撤退することをお勧めしますよ!"

Roughly translated:

"KOTY (Kusoge of the year), congratulations! I would advise the team at Bandai Namco who made this to withdraw from the video game business!"

:lol

(Translator's Note: Kusoge means shit game. Also keikaku means plan.)

NeonZ

Power-up for the boys only.
Yep. This is Shinkenger again.

That's a toyguide though, it just means that the girls aren't getting new action figures, but they still could get to use it in the show itself. The description mentions that it's the "Ninninger"power up item.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That's a toyguide though, it just means that the girls aren't getting new action figures, but they still could get to use it in the show itself. The description mentions that it's the "Ninninger"power up item.

I dunno, why do I feel like Pink's gonna get shafted?

(Translator's Note: Kusoge means shit game. Also keikaku means plan.)

And there you have it.

So I wonder what's going to be the deal this year?

SummonRide was Drive's game so there isn't going to be another so I guess we'll know what's next around TGS I suppose.

Speaking of, ToQGer came and went without a game. So I wonder where that leaves Sentai in the realm of games? Excluding the thought of the mobile front.

WillyFive

I'm glad Summonride bombed. It was a joke.

If you want to do a Toku Toys-to-life game; use the actual gimmicks the toyline uses and actually make a Kamen Rider or Super Sentai game around it; instead of what appears to be a completely unrelated game and place Kamen Riders in there for no reason.

And there you have it.

So I wonder what's going to be the deal this year?

SummonRide was Drive's game so there isn't going to be another so I guess we'll know what's next around TGS I suppose.

Speaking of, ToQGer came and went without a game. So I wonder where that leaves Sentai in the realm of games? Excluding the thought of the mobile front.

It was interesting that the setup Bandai was using that the same developer did both the Sentai and Power Rangers 3DS game each year. For example, the Kyoryuger 3DS game released in Japan while the same game with a Megaforce skin was released in the West.

However, only Super Megaforce got an installment last year; so I'm wondering if Dino Charge will get a game (should be easy, just release the Kyoryuger game with Dino Charge pictures, sounds, and text); or if they have completely gone mobile with the new Power Rangers iOS/Android games (which are actually impressive in the amount of content it has, if you happen to like Heathstone-type game).

Anyway,

Ninninger Super Sentai 40th Anniversary Episode

Pretty nice, albeit short. One good thing about having a crossover so early in the show instead of in January is that the old Rangers can treat the new Rangers like the children they are. It gives me hope that since they are doing the three Ninja teamup now, it means we could have a VS. Super Sentai this year.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ninninger Super Sentai 40th Anniversary Episode

Pretty nice, albeit short. One good thing about having a crossover so early in the show instead of in January is that the old Rangers can treat the new Rangers like the children they are. It gives me hope that since they are doing the three Ninja teamup now, it means we could have a VS. Super Sentai this year.

40th anniversary special with cameos from old ninja characters also turned out to be a big Youkai Watch parody episode. It was fun!

Next week is a takaharu fuuka brother sister episode. Excited about that as she's the secret best character.

Also I feel like this week might be the turning point for drive, finally!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
40th anniversary special with cameos from old ninja characters also turned out to be a big Youkai Watch parody episode. It was fun!

Next week is a takaharu fuuka brother sister episode. Excited about that as she's the secret best character.

Also I feel like this week might be the turning point for drive, finally!

Any clue how kids are reacting to Takaharu?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Any clue how kids are reacting to Takaharu?

Not really, but from anecdotal evidence Ninin toys are definitely selling better than Tokkyu. Mind you it not lighting the shelves on fire like a youkai watch or something.

Ironically, Lego's Ninjago cartoon just started here and the toys (lego) for that seem to be doing reall well.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Not really, but from anecdotal evidence Ninin toys are definitely selling better than Tokkyu. Mind you it not lighting the shelves on fire like a youkai watch or something.

Ironically, Lego's Ninjago cartoon just started here and the toys (lego) for that seem to be doing reall well.

Kind of makes sense it's doing better than Train-gers. There's a Zord for everyone. Like ninja? Shinobimaru. Like dragons? Dragomaru. So on and so on. Plus all the shuriken.
Though I'm not surprised it's not a major seller. Kamen Rider has been selling better than Sentai for years now, so I don't see it doing anywhere near Yokai Watch levels.

And yeah, Lego has worldwide appeal.

Ninjago and Chima are pretty good

They are? I mean, I can't imagine they're on the level of the Lego Movie but are they at least decent?

WillyFive

They are? I mean, I can't imagine they're on the level of the Lego Movie but are they at least decent?

I tried watching them while they were airing here in the States; but they felt like your archetypal licensed show "for boys ages 7-12". Much like the Bionicle movies, they seem like shows I would love when I was a kid, but as someone who is older they just seem lame.

Slayven

Kind of makes sense it's doing better than Train-gers. There's a Zord for everyone. Like ninja? Shinobimaru. Like dragons? Dragomaru. So on and so on. Plus all the shuriken.
Though I'm not surprised it's not a major seller. Kamen Rider has been selling better than Sentai for years now, so I don't see it doing anywhere near Yokai Watch levels.

And yeah, Lego has worldwide appeal.

I tried watching them while they were airing here in the States; but they felt like your archetypal licensed show "for boys ages 7-12". Much like the Bionicle movies, they seem like shows I would love when I was a kid, but as someone who is older they just seem lame.
Yeah they are enjoyable for what they are. Action Adventure cartoons are pretty much dead, so I am starving.

Rajack

Drive

A pretty good episode, and we finally get Kamen Rider Chase next episode!

Ninninger
I was expecting more from Yosuke and Sasuke, but whatever, gotta make Takaharu look good even when he just looks stupid right?

Ninnin
It was nice seeing Sasuke again, but this episode was kind of underwhelming because once again Takaharu had to take the spotlight. Bext episode looks like it'll be better since somebody who isn't Taka or Yakumo is being allowed to pilot shurikenjin.

Drive
Finally stuff is happening!

MrJames079

Neo Member
Garo - Gold Storm Shou - Ep1
This was a pretty solid first episode, I really liked all of the horror designs (Seriously there already better than anything in Yami Tera) and the new suit for Garo looks great. Ryuga and Rian have a cute relationship, Heres hoping that they end up hooking up later. It would be weird to have a Garo season without any kind of romance elements.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, surprised a post 2000's toku could manage to last long. Not even Rescue could last that long... fuck you Tomy-Takara ;_;

NeonZ

It's the only toku tv series deliberately going for an adult audience, rather than attempting to compete with Toei for children's toy sales. Well, I guess there was that one Inoue show, but... Inoue has been pretty much a death sentence for anything he's involved with after Hibiki.

Boss Doggie

It's the only toku tv series deliberately going for an adult audience, rather than attempting to compete with Toei for children's toy sales. Well, I guess there was that one Inoue show, but... Inoue has been pretty much a death sentence to anything he's involved with after Hibiki.

what Inoue show

Top Bottom