• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

WillyFive

They really should tone down Takaharu's act... although Ninninger is actually doing very well in ratings compared to Kyoryuger and Toqger, so they might fear touching a "winning" formula.

Really? So this is the first time Sentai's ratings have increased over the previous show since Shinkenger?

Takaharu needs time to grow is all. They'll humble him down before long and then he'll become a Red you guys can maybe tolerate.

Yakkun & Kasumi are way more fit to lead than Taka will ever be and this is a straight fact. However, they've already put it up front that Taka is a clutch Red instead of drip feeding that possibility like they've done in the past and for some reason the team just accepts this as this is just the way shit is.

Like I said, he'll become a more tolerable Red once he starts taking humongous L's and his real character development is going to come right at the end where he's passed over for Last Ninja for all the shit he's done and will do when that point comes.

He reminds me of Sky from SPD in that way in which in order to get to where he got in the end he had to take big L's and humble down a bit to get there.

We'll see at the end of all this if you guys change your tune about Taka.

Tiu Neo

Is there anything worth watching the show for?

IMO, everything else is ok or good.

The battles are very entertaining, even the robot ones. Kasumi is good, Fuuka was the best but is dragged down by her brother, Yakumo got better after his episode, and Yellow... didn't really do much. The mentors are good, and the ninja powers make the battles fun to watch.

Somebody needs to gif Yosuke's reaction to the fired up line, this is how everyone feels. I like Nininger can't wait for the Fuuka episode.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ninninger 07

-Takaharu is starting to bore me as he seem like that he can do no wrong, I also find it laughable that he's the strongest member on the team when he's the dumbest member on the team.

-I really liked the cat yokai design.

-Kasumi continues to be beautiful and one of the reasons why I still watch Ninninger

NeonZ

Ninninger 07

-Takaharu is starting to bore me as he seem like that he can do no wrong, I also find it laughable that he's the strongest member on the team when he's the dumbest member on the team.

Except he messed up a lot in previous episodes?

Anyway, did you forget episode 1? He was the only one who had never abandoned the way of the ninja, while the others all were pursuing their own goals before the Yokai reappeared. Takaharu being stronger than the others is perfectly justified.

javadoze

Even if he did screw up at times in previous episodes, the show would often just handwave that by showing how often his incompetance is not a bad thing.

Seems like Takaharu's character development would benefit if he had some kind of major loss or something (which I feel might happen, seeing how the story is constantly making a point of Red's tendency to do everything).

NeonZ

Even if he did screw up at times in previous episodes, the show would often just handwave that by showing how often his incompetance is not a bad thing.

Eh, I disagree. For example, when he got stuck inside a monster, he only got out with his grandpa's help after the lesson about team work. There was nothing about his incompetence being something "good". When he attempted to face the general, although he impressed him, both times he clearly was in losing battles and had to escape or team up with the others in order to finish it.

I'm not seeing all these times that Ninninger handwaves Takaharu's flaws as irrelevant. Well, there was this episode 7, I guess, but I really don't see any constant pattern.

WarRock

Ninnin 7
Dayum, Kakuranger is so good. Loved how much overkill we had for no reason other than everybody wanting to show off.

Except he messed up a lot in previous episodes?

Anyway, did you forget episode 1? He was the only one who had never abandoned the way of the ninja, while the others all were pursuing their own goals before the Yokai reappeared. Takaharu being stronger than the others is perfectly justified.
Yet he is not convincing. Yeah, it makes sense he is stronger than the others, but the actor can't deliver and outsmarting both Reds with the cloning technique was too much.

Also, it feels like the others are useless without him. Shinkenger handled the stronger Red way better.

The crossover got me wanting to watch Kakuranger. Whose got the good subs?

Yea, echoing the G.U.I.S recommendation, not only because it's complete (apart from the team-up with Ohranger which is pretty great) but also because the quality is fantastic and they even included notes with plenty of background information.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah go watch Kakuranger. It's amazing.

Eh, I disagree. For example, when he got stuck inside a monster, he only got out with his grandpa's help after the lesson about team work. There was nothing about his incompetence being something "good". When he attempted to face the general, although he impressed him, both times he clearly was in losing battles and had to escape or team up with the others in order to finish it.

I'm not seeing all these times that Ninninger handwaves Takaharu's flaws as irrelevant. Well, there was this episode 7, I guess, but I really don't see any constant pattern.

Teamwork yeah, but even then it felt like the teamwork didn't amount to something since at that scenario it was still Taka himself who got himself out then just lectured about oden. It would have delivered the message much better if it was Yakumo's plan who managed to pull him off.

Slayven

So if Ninnjer hadn't been delayed Chase and Star Nin would have debuted on the same day? When was the last time something like that happened?

Slayven

Wait is he seriously only going to speak Engrish.

%5BG.U.I.S.+H-S%5D+Ninja+Sentai+Kakuranger+29+%2879B762B4%29.mkv_snapshot_13.03_%5B2013.11.18_04.26.03%5D.jpg

sprsk
does Chase's Axe have to charge before the finsher?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Kiriko's failed attempt at transforming into Kamen Rider Drive

So it seems like Kiriko isn't able to harness the power of Drive, hence why Shinnosuke was chosen.

Teamwork yeah, but even then it felt like the teamwork didn't amount to something since at that scenario it was still Taka himself who got himself out then just lectured about oden. It would have delivered the message much better if it was Yakumo's plan who managed to pull him off.

Not to mention Taka had to be reminded again of the power of teamwork.

NeonZ

Yet he is not convincing. Yeah, it makes sense he is stronger than the others, but the actor can't deliver and outsmarting both Reds with the cloning technique was too much.

Well, I agree that his actor is bad, I said that from the start. It's by far the biggest problem with the show right now.

Also, it feels like the others are useless without him. Shinkenger handled the stronger Red way better.

Huh... They've already beaten two monsters of the week without red being there at all. I don't see how the idea that they're useless without him even works. It's even stranger that you apparently were saying that without having watched episode 7. I thought that was the one you were complaining about before. I really don't get how you can watch episode 6 and come to that conclusion at all.

Also, if anything, Shinkenger really needed a Yakumo, who could actually be a counterpoint to Red. Chiaki after his initial two focus episodes pretty much never went anywhere and just kept repeating himself. Also, look at how Takeru's rivalry with Juzou was treated like something that only he could do, while here Takaharu is punished for attempting to take everything to himself.

It was Taka with the help of his grandfather. I remember hearing that a lot though. Why do people completely ignore that he only got out thanks to borrowing power from his grandfather?

Boss Doggie

You mean the fire? True, but it was still through Taka's insistence, and still kinda clashing with the theme.

And wow, that is so Shinken Gold it hurts lol

NeonZ

You mean the fire? True, but it was still through Taka's insistence, and still kinda clashing with the theme.

But the idea of mixing his technique with his grandfather's power came from that lesson about food/teamwork.

And wow, that is so Shinken Gold it hurts lol
Eh? Shinken Gold was just pointless. He's introduced as this mojikara genius, but afterwards basically only becomes a plot device for new mecha, and otherwise is mostly irrelevant, like when he attempts to stop Juzou only to fail.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Interesting twist in Drive this week involving the Roidmude...

Brain is (well, is using the appearance of) the Police Commissioner's son apparently.

I was wondering if we'd ever find out who the Roidmude Leaders are based on.

Boss Doggie

Eh? Shinken Gold was just pointless. He's introduced as this mojikara genius, but afterwards basically only becomes a plot device for new mecha, and otherwise is mostly irrelevant, like when he attempts to stop Juzou only to fail.

I was talking about 6th ninger

Yasuhiko Imai putting in the work this week. Chaser's style before he brought out the axe was great.

And yeah, Kiriko lacking a driver is a huge hole in the series.

javadoze

I'm all for getting the intent of something translated rather than a literal translation.

Just look at how Nossan from Kyoryuger is handled in Overtime and TVN's releases respectively. In the TVN subs, you know there's a joke about wordplay there and you're being told how Nossan is by the reactions of those around him, but in OT's subs, you know instinctively because you yourself react to his jokes in a way similar to the characters.

jwk94

Holy crap I just noticed the pun in Power Rangers Zeo. It's Geo aka Geometry (shapes on the visors) with a Z for Zordon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I dislike how Overtime often seems to remove any sense of relationship between characters though, even when it could be translated.

You can see this in Ninninger, as Fuuka in the sub never calls her brother "brother", she always calls him by his first name which feels off.

And I remember in Go-Busters in the original Ryuji called Jin "sensei", but in the sub he calls him by his first name if I recall correctly which feels really off considering their relationship. Why not use "professor", or even "teach" so it's not as stiff?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 08

Can we make Fuuka the leader? She seems way more capable.
You know it's a bad sign when Kid Takaharu is a better actor.
I still want to believe that the poorly delivered "I'm fired up" is a plot point and not Toei fucking up casting

StarNinger! Only one scene but it was amazing.

vareon

Garo Gold Storm 02

Oh, things picking up. Glad to see more characters that aren't gloom and doom. Looks like they're moving the story at a nice pace and there's a tease of the second Makai Knight, too.

Ninninger 08

Takaharu in a helmet has more expression than Takaharu without helmet. I want to see more of the enemies, though!

StarNinger's english is going to be painful.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 08

Nice episode. Takaharu wasn't that annoying in this, and Fuuka got the spotlight she deserved. I like how the trend on those last two episodes was people stealing the spotlight from Taka. It was also nice we saw a bit more of Nagi, maybe someday he'll have a true focus episode.

Next episode, Yakumo "focus" + StarNinger!

See I told you StarNinger is definitely Shinken Gold

I hope so. ShinkenGold with a bit of Kakuranger's Jiraiya looks good for me.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Didn't like the time travel thing again this episode. I thought it could have been used well too. "Oh I don't like this ninja stuff" "Oh I guess I liked it when I was a child" kind of a lame way to solve that

What is it with 6th rangers hanging out on rooftops stalking folks?

I think meteor and Beast both did this when they showed up in the Movie War movies

NeonZ

Didn't like the time travel thing again this episode. I thought it could have been used well too. "Oh I don't like this ninja stuff" "Oh I guess I liked it when I was a child" kind of a lame way to solve that

I think meteor and Beast both did this when they showed up in the Movie War movies

Nah, Meteor was beating up some Foundation X grunts in an alley.

Top Bottom