• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

javadoze

Kamen Rider Ghost?

Certainly sounds like a better idea for a show than fashion rider (though a part of me kinda wishes it was just to see the actual show's execution).
Apparently we got a trademark!

"Kamen Rider Ghost".

Interesting, as that doesn't immediately bring to mind "Fashion Rider" by the name alone...once again though, the Kamen Rider Break rumors end up being bizarrely prophetic since we got dancing, car gimmicks, and now possibly ghost M.C. from it.

It's weird how that worked out. (Not to mention I kinda like the idea of a ghost rider possessing different people to transform.)

Now to wait for set photos... Next month?

LostAnkh

Apparently we got a trademark!

"Kamen Rider Ghost".

Interesting, as that doesn't immediately bring to mind "Fashion Rider" by the name alone...once again though, the Kamen Rider Break rumors end up being bizarrely prophetic since we got dancing, car gimmicks, and now possibly ghost M.C. from it.
Trying to tackle Yokai Watch, eh?

shaowebb

Hurricane Polymar Episode 9

This episode finally gets around to using Cats as a theme for the villain gang and apparently their thing is stealing the latest scientific breakthroughs to use for evil...whatever that may imply. I mean honestly its left pretty general here so if they are either in an age where science is pumping out major disruptive technology that changes the world frequently or the guys are able to make world threatening weapons out of shamwows and new Nvidia cards.

Anyhow the show starts out like normal with the gang trying to eavesdrop on the chief of police to get a case to steal. Each episode has a thing where Takeshi (Polymar) has hidden a bug in the meeting room at Police HQ in a new area and since this episode is about cats he has apparently slipped a bug onto a cat perched outside the window of the chief of police.

This works until this happens.

PkcapF0.gif

Yup. Detective Joe Kuruma gets an eye full of cats fucking and the whole room is forced to listen to them go at it louder and louder while they try to listen in on the police for information. Classic.

Anyhow this leads to Polymar leaving to fly over in fullsuit and talk the chief of police into setting up a trap for the Devil Cat gang by setting up a sting at a scientist's house after making information public on some amazing research breakthrough. The ensuing inevitable fight actually held no content as he showed up hit one or two and they straight up RAN. But something interesting happens...Polymar collapses in front of everyone!

It seems Polymar has a weakness...he can only remain transformed for 46 minutes and 1 second and it was already at 45 minutes for him transformed. He staggers off and then we see Terumi reveal how god damned oblivious she really is to the idea of Takeshi (who is disappears whenever Polymar is around) being Hurricane Polymar.

Cwcd91I.gif

Even Lois Lane was better at secret identities than this... -_-'
They then figure out through having a geologist analyze the dirt on one of the thugs where their base is located and the gang sets out. Polymar and the crew get jumped early on the way there and he doesn't want to transform yet lest he run out the clock before he reaches the base so he tries to grab everyone one at a time and act frightened whilst secretly just trying to toss them off a cliff so that only he is captured.

Because nothing says protecting your friends like tossing them from a cliff.

y0XWffx.gif

Anyhow both Teru and Polymar get captured and after they try to gas chamber Takeshi he transforms in the cloud and starts fighting the Devil Cats. They shoot him though with a laser made of stolen science and state they know he must have a secret time limit to his powers and that this will force him to transform back. At this point we don't see Polymar save the day...Terumi does.

izkSOiS.gif

Apparently seeing all this violence gets Polymar so riled up he fully recovers from the blast and together they take out the badguys and the base explodes. The episode ends with Terumi telling Polymar he can repay her buy meeting her that night for a date at a club. Later that night though Takeshi shows up instead of Polymar and Terumi once again doesn't get it and swats him away.

Terumi Nanba you are as oblivious as you are violent. Cast is all showing growth. Terumi is showing signs of being able to hold her own as a fighter and Joe Kuruma is showing signs of brain cells.
EItzt18.jpg

Polymar is showing signs that he needs to hit something. Looking forward to episode 10 since we are FINALLY getting some backstory as to his powers. Up until now there were no limits on Polymar and they still haven't explained how he got his powers. Hopefully we get that soon.

Tiu Neo

For the few Brazilians here, a company is bringing a few old Tokusatsu to our Netflix!

Juspion, Changeman, Flashman, Jiban, Jiraya, National Kid, Kamen Rider Black (no word on RX) and GARO. The first six were already released as DVDs, with Jiraiya having two different releases. Kamen Rider Black DVD releases got canceled because of weak sales and piracy. AFAIK, it's the first time we get GARO here.

http://www.jbox.com.br/2015/05/25/exclusivo-series-tokusatsu-na-netflix/

Oh, and...

Ninninger 13

I wouldn't call this a focus episode, but it was a better episode for Nagi's development than Nagi's own focus episode, heh.

The robot fight was cool, too. Even Dumpmaru mas useful!

WarRock

He's called Ghost
There's a rumored Fashion Motif.
Clearly this is the work an enemy Stand!
Yes. I want Rider suits designed by Araki.

@Shaowebb
You have the best gifs man.

For the few Brazilians here, a company is bringing a few old Tokusatsu to our Netflix!

Juspion, Changeman, Flashman, Jiban, Jiraya, National Kid, Kamen Rider Black (no word on RX) and GARO. The first six were already released as DVDs, with Jiraiya having two different releases. Kamen Rider Black DVD releases got canceled because of weak sales and piracy. AFAIK, it's the first time we get GARO here.

http://www.jbox.com.br/2015/05/25/exclusivo-series-tokusatsu-na-netflix/
Man, I'm SO going to watch National Kind and Changeman with my parents next Christmas...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Everything was youkai.

Ghost doesn't exactly scream fashion or egypt, but I guess we'll see.

We already have a Youkai themed Toku going right now. It would be redundant to have both Ninninger and the upcoming Rider fighting Youkai.

They scrapped Fourze's original plans of bringing in all the old Riders because Gokaiger was doing the same thing.

javadoze

Ninninger 13

Pretty fun episode with some interesting revelations.

-Kinji trying to kill the others but ending up doing nice stuff brings me some KyoryuGold vibes. Not to mention, his arc would've been stretched out to oblivion if this were some other show.
-The "Ninja Sports Festival" is a nice excuse to have the characters do some physical stuff. The 4-legged race at the end was pretty funny.
-Dat cliffhanger at the end...
Kyuuemon's possibly a double agent and whoever snatches the next Ninja Ally gets the End Shuriken? Damn.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not sure why everyone thinks Ghost means the fashion motif is completely debunked, it doesn't seem any weirder than the samurai-named Rider Gaim having a fruit motif.

Plus the trusted tripcode dudes on 2ch who revealed early info about Gaim and Drive in the past said there was the whole button collectible + clothes-hanger gun, I imagine that's probably true still.

EDIT: Shouldn't we get the belt trademark around this time too? Maybe that will give us a better idea what the gimmick is, unless they go with just "Ghost Driver".

jwk94

Not sure why everyone thinks Ghost means the fashion motif is completely debunked, it doesn't seem any weirder than the samurai-named Rider Gaim having a fruit motif.

Plus the trusted tripcode dudes on 2ch who revealed early info about Gaim and Drive in the past said there was the whole button collectible + clothes-hanger gun, I imagine that's probably true still.

EDIT: Shouldn't we get the belt trademark around this time too? Maybe that will give us a better idea what the gimmick is, unless they go with just "Ghost Driver".

The fashion sash. I'm calling it right now.

shaowebb

Hurricane Polymar Episodes 10

All you need to know about episode 10 is that he took on the Action Squidipuss gang (realname was something like Medusa gang but fuckit...action Squidipuss gang).

Basically Polimar goes into this fight kind of pent up for violence given the past few episodes were dedicated to side cast and he decides he wants to flex his super strength for shits. He then proceeds to do this by pointing out to the Action Squidipuss gang that Squids have no bones...and then proceeding to try and prove that fact by annihilating all the bones in their bodies until he turned all of their bones into non-bones. Epic twirling ensues.

2kBz1oH.gif

L3dAGKi.gif

...and I don't even know if there was anything left of the next guy he twirled into these rocks...
xhiKmoy.gif

Also BOTH Terumi and Detective Kuruma seperately had the same idea to hide a priceless vase by SPRAYPAINTING IT. They are a credit to mankind.
Also there was a villain whose Nosehair was so amazing it would make Duke Igthorn from The Gummy Bears proud.

gnhrgH6.gif

Ore No Hurricane.
Hurricane Polymar!
And the hurricane I speak of isn't my fists.

*leaves*

drizzle

Axel Hertz
PtpNOhY.jpg

I dislike watching these two walk

like a lot

I watched like a third of Winspector middle of last year and I simply couldn't handle it. I never liked it back in the 90's, but damn.

I'll try to watch this subbed version to see how the original voices are and if I can't really stand it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hurricane Polymar Episodes 10

All you need to know about episode 10 is that he took on the Action Squidipuss gang (realname was something like Medusa gang but fuckit...action Squidipuss gang).

Basically Polimar goes into this fight kind of pent up for violence given the past few episodes were dedicated to side cast and he decides he wants to flex his super strength for shits. He then proceeds to do this by pointing out to the Action Squidipuss gang that Squids have no bones...and then proceeding to try and prove that fact by annihilating all the bones in their bodies until he turned all of their bones into non-bones. Epic twirling ensues.

2kBz1oH.gif

L3dAGKi.gif

...and I don't even know if there was anything left of the next guy he twirled into these rocks...
xhiKmoy.gif

Also BOTH Terumi and Detective Kuruma seperately had the same idea to hide a priceless vase by SPRAYPAINTING IT. They are a credit to mankind.
Also there was a villain whose Nosehair was so amazing it would make Duke Igthorn from The Gummy Bears proud.

gnhrgH6.gif

Ore No Hurricane.
Hurricane Polymar!
And the hurricane I speak of isn't my fists.

*leaves*

that's one violent splatoon

BatDan

Ninninger 13

Masakage looks kind of creepy, but I'm liking him so far. Pretty cool that he figured out Kyuemon that quickly.
Nice to see Nagi get some focus even if it was short.

So, did something happen with the previous foot soldier costumes? The ones with the hats? The transformation to the new ones was rather abrupt and they haven't appeared since.

Drive 31

Shinnosuke was lucky that he's immune to Freeze's memory power. Kind of foolish to run in like that.
Next week
Type Tridoron will save his life just like Cosmic States saved Gentaro

Tiu Neo

PtpNOhY.jpg

I dislike watching these two walk

like a lot

I liked Winspector back then, but didn't really care too much about those two. My brother and my cousin, who are a younger, loved them, so... maybe it's just target age group?

And damn, just seeing that image made me remember the theme song. May day, may day, S- O- S!

ahdurian

Ninninger 13

Masakage looks kind of creepy, but I'm liking him so far. Pretty cool that he figured out Kyuemon that quickly.
Nice to see Nagi get some focus even if it was short.

So, did something happen with the previous foot soldier costumes? The ones with the hats? The transformation to the new ones was rather abrupt and they haven't appeared since.

I think in one of the episodes, Gabi upgraded them using his powers
then they just stayed like that

jwk94

And it will still be over a year until we see all of it. Fuck you Nickelodeon.
Still hoping that the contract ends and the show goes to Netflix or something.

Netflix Rangers would be really interesting. I'd like to see if they kept the 2 season format though. Having PR all at once kinda ruins it, imo.

BatDan

I think in one of the episodes, Gabi upgraded them using his powers
then they just stayed like that

That i remember. Gabi upgraded them and it was really abrupt and out of nowhere. It wasn't like it was supposed to help him fight Aka Ninger. Still... I wonder if parents complained.

Netflix Rangers would be really interesting. I'd like to see if they kept the 2 season format though. Having PR all at once kinda ruins it, imo.

What I think they should do is 20 episodes in the Spring and then 20 episodes in the fall.
Though I do know that Netflix has optioned to premiere episodes weekly so they could still do that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I seriously hope next Drive ep won't end with Shinosuke dying, because that'd be pretty lame to end it especially when the preview shows it

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I can't see what would be deemed problematic about the original Ninninger goons, unless it had something to do with the hats? I mean that's the biggest change between the two...

javadoze

I seriously hope next Drive ep won't end with Shinosuke dying, because that'd be pretty lame to end it especially when the preview shows it

It's kinda lame then that they didn't title the episode "Shinnosuke dies!" like some older shows.

(Or following with the format, "Why did Shinnosuke die?")

Drive 31

Meh... Alright episode, but a bunch of things just feel like Drive dragging out its drama for the sake of it. Mach being a baby and Krim refusing to help Shinnosuke are some pretty big drags in general.

shaowebb

Hurricane Polymar ep 11 and 12

Wolves then birds. Um...lots of...well...Jesus fucking christ Polymar I can't even describe this shit.

MONTAGE OF SOME OF WHAT I WITNESSED

Episode 11 Polymar fucks up some wolves said:

Episode 12 Ain't no Thang but a Chicken Wing said:

jwk94

So Ciara Hanna (Megaforce Yellow) originally auditioned for Samurai and turned down the role of Emily because she didn't have a good feeling about it. She had the contract and everything. Man, having her as Emily could have been interesting.

source

BatDan

So Ciara Hanna (Megaforce Pink) originally auditioned for Samurai and turned down the role of Emily because she didn't have a good feeling about it. She had the contract and everything. Man, having her as Emily could have been interesting.

source

You mean Megaforce Yellow right?
I feel bad for her (and the whole Megaforce cast), getting saddled with such a terrible season. Even she isn't fond of it.

shaowebb

GJzqBxG.gif

Fucking hell.

I reiterate
WLGtiS9.png

Polymar is fighting robots, right?
No that'd be Cashan though the wolves were robots except for the guy he tried to save who suicided. Or that dog a page back he knocked the blood out of...that was a canine that wasn't a machine he mangled. Those birdpeople were all people including that poor bastard he went knuckle deep in the eyesockets of. Oh also the woman...yeah he straight up fucking broke her face and their was no way for him to know if she was involved or not in the story. Oooh or that guy he put through the cabinet or the dudes he crushed under the boulder or that entire fleet of rigs he burned with people trapped inside them...yeah mostly everything is human. Robots were used only once or twice.

What the fuck am I watching

ಥ_ಥ ...???

ReiGun

Are these people he fights enhanced humans in any way? Or is he really going full tilt against guys in goofy halloween costumes?

shaowebb

Are these people he fights enhanced humans in any way? Or is he really going full tilt against guys in goofy halloween costumes?

Oh these goons are sooooooooo normal everyday jackoffs. Like one group was even trying to use springs in their catsuits to jump. Polymar can fucking punch through modified rigs that you get to see drive through TANKS and he shows up with an evil villain laugh and goes full bore on these guys.

I mean he doesn't even stop after they quit moving either! That just means you left an opening to Polymar and he keeps hitting bodies looooooong after they stop moving as that crushed skull gif shows. And he keeps going for the eyes. GOD does he ever resort to maiming folks as a first line of defense a lot! I mean he could straight up take these guys out of the suit and he does in several scenes but he just straight goes IN on dudes when he's in costume. Eyes, nuts, necks, joints...Polymar just unloads full strength on them and that doesn't even include all the guys he's turned into a vehicle on and straight up RAN THE FUCK OVER.

Tatsunoko's Wolverine and then some...

Top Bottom