• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

jwk94

You mean Megaforce Yellow right?
I feel bad for her (and the whole Megaforce cast), getting saddled with such a terrible season. Even she isn't fond of it.

Yeah my bad lol. I feel bad for them too. It's kinda why I would honestly prefer for them to come back rather than the other dino rangers for the Dino Charge team up. I want them to get some proper development but I doubt that's going to happen. Anyway, this interview with her and Cameron Jebo is really interesting.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's good to know that Ciara and Cameron found the PR Legend War just as disappointing as the fans.
It all sounds like Tzachor's fault. Again.
Can we make Tzachor the Decade of Power Rangers?

jwk94

It's good to know that Ciara and Cameron found the PR Legend War just as disappointing as the fans.
It all sounds like Tzachor's fault. Again.
Can we make Tzachor the Decade of Power Rangers?

But then that would imply that he'll be back for fun times later =/

BatDan

But then that would imply that he'll be back for fun times later =/

Good point...

Also, it sounds like other countries are getting Dino Charge. Prepare for major spoilers as they will likely get every episode before the hiatus finishes.

jwk94

Good point...

Also, it sounds like other countries are getting Dino Charge. Prepare for major spoilers as they will likely get every episode before the hiatus finishes.

Are we positive that the other countries will be airing the new episodes before us this time?

shaowebb

So, shaowebb, I know you are working on a game project. Can we expect a FOR KIDS character like Polymar?

I won't say yes, but I definitely won't say no. Pencil tests on a ton of the intended roster haven't been hit yet but I could see some stuff coming up inspired from this being referenced here and there lol. Its pretty violent though...he hits people so many times I'd either have to design his combo links and chain sort of stuff with those sequences in mind, or make them full on command grab or super animations lol.

Polymar hits folks repeatedly so often it'd be hard to match.

I will say this...I have a lot of inspirations from thing and not just Toku and Super Sentai. If I go in on putting myself a good Toku or Sentai trope character in though it would go all the way. The only thing holding me back at the moment is knowing my limits and whats best. Tokusatsu is something I'd be tempted to do based on weapon changes to show off the whole "new form/powers" motif. And Super Sentai I would do as a summon based character where all of your attack specials are you using formations with more of your Sentai Team and/or just summoning them to perform attacks for you like an assist. The Sentai idea is doable but it requires a LOT of extra models to be loaded into the stage and not just textures and I need to know more on my engine's limitations before I even seriously table designing such a moveset. I do know I'd make all their alts you choosing a different color of the Sentai team to play and the other alts being your summoned specials.

Anyhow thems my thoughts on it. I have ideas for Toku/Sentai in my fighter but technical limitations hold me back from tabling them full bore. The Tokusatsu one I hold back on because stance changers mean that essentially I could nearly do 3 characters or more in the time it'd take to do 1 and thats inefficient for an indie.

In sofar as Polymar's "for kids" brand of fighting lets just say I'm not making Mortal Kombat and couldn't do his style justice otherwise lol.

Tiu Neo

This last Drive episode was kinda... meh, but at least it had some nice story progression.

I hope 001 dies soon, or they find a way to revert his power. Gou is getting as bad as chase, and the whole erasing memories thing can make things boring/repetitive, if it's used too much.

NeonZ

I hope 001 dies soon, or they find a way to revert his power. Gou is getting as bad as chase, and the whole erasing memories thing can make things boring/repetitive, if it's used too much.

But 001 is the only Roidmude with a plan. Heart and company got really tiring with their sitting and waiting for their "Promised Number" savior to randomly appear while doing nothing. At least 001 seems to have a solid plan for their next evolution. If anything, the other antagonists got tiring and repetitive long ago.

Tiu Neo

But 001 is the only Roidmude with a plan. Heart and company got really tiring with their sitting and waiting for their "Promised Number" savior to randomly appear while doing nothihng. At least 001 seems to have a solid plan for their next evolution. If anything, the other antagonists got tiring and repetitive long ago.

Yeah, that's why something like they finding a way of reverting their power would be better.

Or maybe he'll stop using his power too much? I dunno, it's just that this "everyone was brainwashed" thing can get old.

WarRock

Is holding a gun like Shinnosuke (sideways) a legit technique?
Nope, it kills accuracy.

Awesome stuff
Fair enough! The stance switching to emulate power ups is a good idea. You are thinking about full stances like Gen, right? Do you think that stance moves like Hazama from BB or Akira from Rival Schools wouldn't be enough?

I would argue that you could do a Polyrmar fighting style with a goofy cartoon character, using smoke clouds and onomatopoeias instead of realistic brutality though =)

Think Power Instinct, or, heck, that other toku inspired guy, Skullomania.

Drive 31
In this episode we see Gou use the Gavan kick for the second time, get some great plot advancement and a KOUJI KABUTO DIES IN THE LAVA moment. Niiice.

shaowebb

Nope, it kills accuracy.

Fair enough! The stance switching to emulate power ups is a good idea. You are thinking about full stances like Gen, right? Do you think that stance moves like Hazama from BB or Akira from Rival Schools wouldn't be enough?

I would argue that you could do a Polyrmar fighting style with a goofy cartoon character, using smoke clouds and onomatopoeias instead of realistic brutality though =)

Think Power Instinct, or, heck, that other toku inspired guy, Skullomania.

For me it wouldn't be enough lol. I go all in on themes so doing just a few stance moves instead of a full on suitswap with normals changed out like Amaterasu in MVC3 or more would always nag at me as "didn't go far enough". That'd be like if staff form Kuuga only ever used the staff for specials...why have a staff if none of his normals really swap out to use it to extend his reach?

Skullomania is cool buts its more like showa vs heisei in how he's done and I'm thinking heisei. If I go at it I want to do it in such a way that it feels right and I have everything in one toku character that I look forward to out of current Riders. I could pump something out if I wanted to, but knowing it'd always feel only about half of what I was after would eat at me. Remember...at one point I designed on paper a way to make OOO's possible in Marvel style games. That'd be too much, but it gives you an idea of how hard I hit a theme before I let it go. I design it till I feel like I can't design anymore and if I stopped at Skullomania that character would likely I'd go nuts.

Besides Skullomania is super vanilla compared to the effort going into the movesets and look that the rest of the cast already have laid out. I'll get more ambitious with experience in the engine so don't rule things out, just know that while I have ideas I like I need to be realistic in both what I can produce first to make the roster full and what I may not have the ability to implement.

Dont' worry though. There are things that will make folks smile in here. Lets just say I'm holding off on the pure versions of these themes until I can implement them as big as I'd like. I look forward to one day having the experience needed to start putting one in...I also look forward to hearing what sort of stuff QisTopTier can cook up for those premises to fit our meta. He's my combat advisor and takes stuff like I posted earlier and comes up with the kind of tools such movesets really need to be good and then I bounce em back and forth with him till we come up with exciting plans for the animations themselves and often times even more moves. Its a fun way to work and I feed off his energy. We make each others stuff bigger than it was originally and so far its done really well for our game's cast. :)

shaowebb

Sucks that Polymar is just tier A in TvCUAS

But his assist is tier Godly and his damage/DHC's are stellar. He pairs with anyone in the game. He rocks well with Cashern's OTG super because on team super it makes car super safe on start and on DHC it pops them up into his single armed whirlwind super.

Plus he's the god of high/low and left/right mixups with his built in high low one button normals and command roll.

...yeah I main Polymar :D

javadoze

Is holding a gun like Shinnosuke (sideways) a legit technique?

Nah. (I guess he's doing it since he holds the Door Gun that way as Type Technic.)

Also, so there's really no exclusive weapon for Type Tridoron? So weird that they'd skip out on it after Kiwami Arms not having one either.

EDIT: Also also, some new rumors for Kamen Rider Ghost:

-The overall atmosphere feels quite similar to Wizard.
-However, the henshin sound is a little more restrained.
-There will be multiple forms right from the beginning.

http://kamenriderghost.tumblr.com/post/119999540595/zqacw-7nsedj-has-posted-a-little-more-about

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But his assist is tier Godly and his damage/DHC's are stellar. He pairs with anyone in the game. He rocks well with Cashern's OTG super because on team super it makes car super safe on start and on DHC it pops them up into his single armed whirlwind super.

Plus he's the god of high/low and left/right mixups with his built in high low one button normals and command roll.

...yeah I main Polymar :D

Sadly he's not S tier like Zero but then again Zero is always broken in all games he appear in lol

shaowebb

Sadly he's not S tier like Zero but then again Zero is always broken in all games he appear in lol

Zero could ignore pushblock and it basically made him a character who could pressure to death, bait a 2 bar megacrash, ignore it and get a reset+drain your meter of those 2 bars for the effort.

Zero was in TvC what he is in UMVC3...poorly rationalized and easily too much pressure for the systems in place. Sad that the best counter to him got nerfed so hard in TvC UAS in terms of health that he can no longer really deal with the guy. Karas was the perfect counter character with his projectile reflections, and counter super. He forces Zero to play neutral more and at that range Karas beats out Zero's pokes.

Polymar+ Zero though...god is that annoying. Pressure for days and then razor kick assist comes out and you're locked down even longer. Plus the death Rainbow DHCs into Polymar's single handed whirlwind grab as well as makes the car super safe.

Boss Doggie

I really wish polymar got fully subbed. Granted it was going to get a full sub but then that fund-sub reared its ugly head, making them stop, but guess what that fund-sub doesn't get through.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think I read the "atmosphere" wasn't talking about the show itself, but referencing Ghost himself---I guess that means his suit will have a more "serious" look like Wizard's as opposed to Gaim and Drive's which are more gimmicky and cartoony.

I don't mind this, because Wizard's suits were the least of its problems...

vareon

I think I read the "atmosphere" wasn't talking about the show itself, but referencing Ghost himself---I guess that means his suit will have a more "serious" look like Wizard's as opposed to Gaim and Drive's which are more gimmicky and cartoony.

Yeah I don't think anyone can guess the show's atmosphere right now.

BatDan

Listening to more of Ciara and Cameron's interview.
They stated that the producers didn't address the writers or actor's issues because "five year olds don't care about explanations and only care for action scenes and explosions". That explains EVERYTHING about Samurai & Megaforce.
Those seasons were just dripping with cynicism and contempt for the viewers, and now we have confirmation that they really didn't care and just wanted the giant toy commercial without actually entertaining people.

Also, there's the "it's for kids, we don't have to make it good" excuse again. Why does this keep appearing? Just because it's for a younger audience doesn't give you the excuse to not try. Recent animated shows like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe have shown you can make a great show for children and adults can enjoy it too.

WarRock

Maybe he's not a literal ghost. Maybe the costume is like wearing a blanket for Halloween, and that is the whole cloth thing that people thought meant a fashion motif.

jwk94

11012057_909254095786825_6954569131318324061_n.jpg

Yoshi, Pua (Ninja Storm Red), and Tyler.....I need a shirtless morph. Now.

shaowebb

I really wish polymar got fully subbed. Granted it was going to get a full sub but then that fund-sub reared its ugly head, making them stop, but guess what that fund-sub doesn't get through.

I'm watching it subbed. Seriously...just look up Hurricane Polimar. There are the animesols and the U-Q (universal quantifier) stuff. All 26 episodes. It's not too hard to find. Its all in whether you spell it with a "y" or an "i".

Watch Da Birdie

Maybe he's not a literal ghost. Maybe the costume is like wearing a blanket for Halloween, and that is the whole cloth thing that people thought meant a fashion motif.

That'd be cool, rather than the usual mask, it's like some sort of "ghost hood" over his face with the eyes showing through.

And then keeping the cool ghost theme, like his Rider Kick summons a flaming cross and he kicks the enemy into it. That sounds pretty badass, right?

javadoze

Yeah, I took the "atmosphere" in that translation to mean something referring to the suit's aesthetic.

Also, damn, that Megaforce producer quote is pretty bad.

Watch Da Birdie

Ghost is a good chance to pull another Den-O. HE can make contracts with different ghosts for forms.

Wonder if they'd use Yokai for his forms, or is that too soon?

I'd fucking lose my shit if we got a Kasa-Obake form.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'm watching Kamen Rider J and there's a flashback 15 minutes in to something that happens in the beginning of the movie.

The movie is 46 minutes long

jwk94

So I just realized that Kamen Rider Meteor was an homage to Jet Li, not Bruce Li. This fight is basically Meteor's fighting style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbKWnZxFvtM

Oh shit. is magasiva doing a cameo? please let the ninja storm crew ride with these dudes.

Lol I doubt it. I think he just likes the cast so he stopped in to say hello. It's kinda like how RJ (Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger) hung out with the cast earlier this year.

Watch Da Birdie

I've read the reason Meteor does the Bruce Lee noises is a pun---since Ryusei could mean meteor or dragon star.

Boss Doggie

I'm watching it subbed. Seriously...just look up Hurricane Polimar. There are the animesols and the U-Q (universal quantifier) stuff. All 26 episodes. It's not too hard to find. Its all in whether you spell it with a "y" or an "i".

I thought there was a group that was subbing Polymar that stopped because it was going to be officially licensed via some crowdfunding, but failed?

Anyway thanks for the heads up!

Top Bottom