• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow Taka is such a dumbass, not even Right is this idiotic

Speaking of Power Rangers...

https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/sta...65328726859776

gGLGdg7.png

Whoops?

why is Red Buster doing there, he's not a power ranger!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 14

Is it too much to hope Fuuka gets Last Ninja? *sighs* I know at this point Taka getting it is a foregone conclusion. We need a smart red next season, three years of idiots is a bit much.
Still, Fuuka stole the show this week. Like she does in all her focus episodes.
Also, Kinji popping out of the cracker box was hilarious.

Next week:
Lawyers!

Drive 32

I have to give the show credit for making Freeze's "main emotion" humiliation instead of something generic like "rage" or "anger". Once I put two and two together, it was easy to see that his defeat would trigger the Ultimate Evolution.
Next week will definitely be interesting.

javadoze

Ninnin 14
Yes, another Fuuka episode! Part of me thinks it's kinda silly that the other three just handed over their shuriken to Takaharu without question, but then again, I like the excuse for an unmorphed fighting sequence.

Also, that ending with Takaharu and Fuuka seems like foreshadowing for her to be Last Ninja.

Drive 32
Though I was pretty despondent to last episode, this episode had some nice moments with the Chief, the SCU, and Chase. (Seems like next episode will be the beginning of a new arc of sorts with
Gou coming back, Type Tridoron being revealed, and Heart starting to realize his ultimate evolution.

lol there's an actual story reason for Gen saying Roastporko. That's the type of Sanjo writing I enjoy

My favorite instance of this is probably Kyoryuger's
"Song of the Earth"

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Gangan Sabre definitely makes me think of the Garuru Saber from Kiva, both being swords with onomatopoeia names...

Looking up "gangan", it can be the sound of a large bell---so, I guess it might be like church bells since he's dead.

As for the Ghost Icon, if the button rumor was true and it's not fashion buttons, I guess that means it might be "buttons" like the plastic flair kind of deal.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 14

Taka fucks up, others have to fix it for him. Fuuka showing why she is the BESTO NINJA. Nice finisher, and there's even an excuse for them to call themselves using the colors, like it was on older sentai.

Cool to see the other Ninja Allies being useful, even if it's just for one gimmick.

Next week's episode looks... intriguing.

Kamen Rider Drive 32

Hahaha, so Gen HAS a reason he can't get "Roidmude" right. Nice foreshadowing, if we can even call it that. Chase is a lot better as a second/third rider than he was as a villain, I like how serious he is about... everything. Nice to see some interaction between him and Krim, too.

Nice to see that 001's mindwipe power isn't that effective anymore. As I said last week, if they kept that for too long, it would be boring. Good to see he isn't dead, too, and overall is more powerful as a Roidmude. I feel he may not live more than a few episodes, now, but he already did his part.

Good episode! Even Nira was good on it!

...now we just need non-asshole Gou again.

...Chief Henshin would be awesome.

I know that was just bait, and that'll probably never happen, but as much as I like Shinnosuke, him dying and Kiriko taking his place would be an awesome turn of events.

Watch Da Birdie

I love them using Dekotora Traveler's theme for Gen...

Then I realized one of the Dark Shift Cars used by Type Next is Dekotora Traveler. Now I wonder if it's Gen + Rinna's son from the future...

WarRock

Man, Drive is so good. 001 actually went and tried to discover why his power didn't work; he couldn't find a reason. How many times that happens with a villain?

Then we got Type Formula going full Melty Blood's Aoko with its wrist beams, Gen being awesome, Chief being even more awesome than usual, and Shin inspiring Krim
just to get Fourze'd

By the way, I also like most of Drive's suits. Huge step up from Gaim IMO.

Ninnin
Hachi, jyuu... are the numbers just random? Well, action keeps being great as does Fuuka, so it's an A+ episode for me. Got surprised with serious Taka at the end too O=

Oh, and I love the fact that he never finishes his catchphrase after they finish the giant monster now.

Boss Doggie

But there's no snowflake on Gen!

Also as predicted, they spoiled Tomari's death on the preview. They even spoiled him coming back!

yami4ct

Drive 32:

Man, that was an amazing while. I haven't been this excited about a Kamen Rider show for a good while. If Drive keeps it up, it really does have a chance of surpassing W to become my favorite Rider.

As for the episode itself: 001 has become a really legitimately threatening villain. His
transformation
was an actually scary moment. That music was really well used. Track almost felt like something out of Eva. I also like how Gen has a reason he can't say Rodimude. Pretty cool to turn a dumb recurring joke into an actual plot point.

So, what are the chances
Shinnosuke stays dead
? I have to imagine pretty low. I fully expect the Type Tridoron shift car to zoom in and fix everything with the power of friendship or some such. I really would love if they went with it, though. I could easily imagine
Chase getting the mantle back, or Gou taking it up in grief for what he did under mind control
. The absolute best thing would be
Kiriko becoming the new Drive
, but chances of that are slim to none. I could see them doing a really cool plot where they
rebuild him as a Roidmude like what happened to Proto-Drive
. Could create some great tension there.

Slayven

I watched the Jdrama Crazy For You on Crunchy Roll last night and guess who was a side character eating in the background? Mister Kamen Rider Beast, he dyed his hair more blonde.

Boss Doggie

Is a rider nearly dying now a mandatory thing before getting their ultimate form?

I don't remember much in OOO and W, but Fourze had near-instant death, Wizard almost felt near despair, Kouta almost died, and now this.

WarRock

So, what are the chances
Shinnosuke stays dead
? I have to imagine pretty low. I fully expect the Type Tridoron shift car to zoom in and fix everything with the power of friendship or some such. I really would love if they went with it, though. I could easily imagine
Chase getting the mantle back, or Gou taking it up in grief for what he did under mind control
, but chances of that are slim to none. I could see them doing a really cool plot where they
I'm betting on
cyborg shenanigans. He will receive something from Roidmude technology, or maybe whatever Krim/the Shift Cars use. Either that or he isn't really dead, after all, it's not like anybody there was a doctor or did a full check up on him.
And if I remember right, Kiriko
can't use the belt, similar to how Yuki or Kengo couldn't use the Fourze Driver. Of course, with all the upgrades, Gou, Chase and Gou's mentor all around, Rinna probably could do something about that.

javadoze

Drive 32:

Man, that was an amazing while. I haven't been this excited about a Kamen Rider show for a good while. If Drive keeps it up, it really does have a chance of surpassing W to become my favorite Rider.

As for the episode itself: 001 has become a really legitimately threatening villain. His
transformation
was an actually scary moment. That music was really well used. Track almost felt like something out of Eva. I also like how Gen has a reason he can't say Rodimude. Pretty cool to turn a dumb recurring joke into an actual plot point.

So, what are the chances
Shinnosuke stays dead

I think it'd be neat if we had
Shinnosuke becoming a roidmude/cyborg.
I'm imagining sort of a situation where Type Tridoron is a
literal fusion of him and parts of the Drive system.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Is a rider nearly dying now a mandatory thing before getting their ultimate form?

I don't remember much in OOO and W, but Fourze had near-instant death, Wizard almost felt near despair, Kouta almost died, and now this.

Philip in W.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ninninger 14

Was an okay episode, though I was curious about Starninger's mother, as he hasn't mention her yet.

Watch it be Kyuemon, hur hur hur

Drive 31,

Holy heck this was a good episode and 001 was smart in trying to overcome his weakness and when it seemed that he lost he pulled a reversal.

Well
Philip was already dead prior to becoming W
and Eiji if I recall correctly wasn't dead but injured when he unwillingly gained the purple medals

Watch Da Birdie

Dying makes sense---Kamen Rider thematically is usually about a character "dying" (i.e. becoming a robot cyborg) and being reborn, so the new ones doing that to reach their Final Form makes sense.

Anyway, apparently one of the trips on 2ch are saying the collectibles for Ghost are...stamps.

Collect stamps.
Press stamps onto the belt and you get light and sound. Very much like Beast Driver.

I don't think this means like postage stamps, but maybe the old-style stamps "Mons" explaining the name "Ghost Icon".

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Dying makes sense---Kamen Rider thematically is usually about a character "dying" (i.e. becoming a robot cyborg) and being reborn, so the new ones doing that to reach their Final Form makes sense.

Anyway, apparently one of the trips on 2ch are saying the collectibles for Ghost are...stamps.

I don't think this means like postage stamps, but maybe the old-style stamps "Mons" explaining the name "Ghost Icon".

Stamp could mean like stamps you press with ink. Or it could be some sort of reference to line stamps.

yami4ct

I think it'd be neat if we had
Shinnosuke becoming a roidmude/cyborg.
I'm imagining sort of a situation where Type Tridoron is a
literal fusion of him and parts of the Drive system.

I think that's almost 100% certain to be what happens. Looking at the preview
Shinosuke is dead on a metal slab in the morgue. My bet is they somehow use Chase's newly restored memory (almost all the flashbacks we've seen of those memories are of his "creation") to use the same process on Shinosuke.
. That being said I'd still love to see
someone else take the Drive mantle. Kiriko would be the coolest, but I would be cool with either the other two riders as well.

IIRC this was almost the exact same rumor that was running with Gaim. It was that and sword handles that would be themed for different riders, giving us a Decade like show. I feel like this comes up with almost every new KR. I do like the idea as a collectable, but since we've seen it brought up before and not be true, I'm gonna call BS.

vareon

I think that's almost 100% certain to be what happens. Looking at the preview
Shinosuke is dead on a metal slab in the morgue. My bet is they somehow use Chase's newly restored memory (almost all the flashbacks we've seen of those memories are of his "creation") to use the same process on Shinosuke.
. That being said I'd still love to see
someone else take the Drive mantle. Kiriko would be the coolest, but I would be cool with either the other two riders as well.

IIRC this was almost the exact same rumor that was running with Gaim. It was that and sword handles that would be themed for different riders, giving us a Decade like show. I feel like this comes up with almost every new KR. I do like the idea as a collectable, but since we've seen it brought up before and not be true, I'm gonna call BS.

You mean stamps as collectibles has been brought before, or something else? Because I don't recall something like stamps.

Anyway as always timing and source are always important to these rumors, and even if it's different we've seen concepts evolve before their final, meaning it could be true at some point (or it was an idea, but never used).

BatDan

Dino Charge spoiler image.

Remember those toys? Seems this isn't a toy exclusive power-up. I hope it's used outside of the Megazord cockpit. Still, good on Dino Charge for fixing one of the major problems with Kyoryuger.
I imagine that Carnival will be the Battlizer then. It pretty much was in Kyoryuger

Forgot that Tinypic wasn't allowed here. Just look on Rangerboard.

Wait, found the source: https://thepowerscoopblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/04/spoilers-dino-charge-production-design-images/

javadoze

Remember those toys? Seems this isn't a toy exclusive power-up. I hope it's used outside of the Megazord cockpit. Still, good on Dino Charge for fixing one of the major problems with Kyoryuger.
I imagine that Carnival will be the Battlizer then. It pretty much was in Kyoryuger

Wait, found the source: https://thepowerscoopblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/04/spoilers-dino-charge-production-design-images/

Huh? Oh...

Took me a while to notice. But pretty cool that they're doing
a new power up.

Even better that Gold gets to join in (something that always bugs me about team-wide powerups).

Slayven

Looks like the Drive team designed it.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I remember that one---which is where I remember the Japanese-style stamp emblems called "Mons".

Another rumor (unsourced) I saw on the latest /m/ thread, Japanese text, was that apparently Ghost's collectibles are like "eye glasses" or something---sounded fake, but then the person pointed out how the "Ghost Icon" might actually meant to be romanticized as "Ghost Eyecon" perhaps, and the kanji for eyeball can read "gan", as in the Gangan sabre. This actually sounds kind of plausible...

>>ガンガン(眼眼)セイバーってことで
>・眼眼セイバー
>・ゴーストeyeコン
>と来るならバイクは目ガチェイサーだろうか
>なるほど、瞳がモチーフならば
> ⓪ ⓪ → ∞ → 8

Ghost works with "eyes"

WillyFive

Love the new stuff.

Considering how Samurai had entirely new suits for everyone designed, if it was made by the RPM team the show would never have had the Shinkenger suits.

vareon

Yeah, I remember that one---which is where I remember the Japanese-style stamp emblems called "Mons".

Another rumor (unsourced) I saw on the latest /m/ thread, Japanese text, was that apparently Ghost's collectibles are like "eye glasses" or something---sounded fake, but then the person pointed out how the "Ghost Icon" might actually meant to be romanticized as "Ghost Eyecon" perhaps, and the kanji for eyeball can read "gan", as in the Gangan sabre. This actually sounds kind of plausible...

Dat 8 motif.

I also remember our 8th Heisei Rider, it's our friendly neighborhood Kiva.

Edit: wait that's wrong, Kiva is 9th.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

So the belt is a face you put contact lenses on (maybe slide in OOOs style)? eyeコン being some sort of contact lens makes sense from a linguistic standpoint at any rate.

yami4ct

You mean stamps as collectibles has been brought before, or something else? Because I don't recall something like stamps.

Anyway as always timing and source are always important to these rumors, and even if it's different we've seen concepts evolve before their final, meaning it could be true at some point (or it was an idea, but never used).

Yeah, I mean stamps being the collectable focus. I'm pretty sure that was the rumor for Gaim as well. The speculation at the time was they meant rubber ink stamps. Nothing came of it, of course. It's possible Bandai/Toei have been playing around with the idea for years and have never settled on it, giving the rumor some merit, but I suspect it's just the same idea getting thrown around by fans who know nothing substantial about the production.

Tiu Neo

Not bad at all. I didn't watch Samurai, but saw the new designs and they were pretty ugly, imo. This one is nice, kinda like a throwback to the Green Ranger.

WarRock

They're still asymmetrical though - diagonal batteries, face on only one shoulder pad.

From that still the angle is too small. Any design student will tell you how you do not want a diagonal that looks too ambiguous (viewers may not be sure if the diagonal is intentionar or just an error/bent line), you either do it very evidently or not do it.

But let's wait and see it in action. Or at least more pictures.

Just finished watching Gaim. Amazing shiw, the writings. Was really well done. Any suggestions for what I should watch next. The only other one I have watched was fourze

yami4ct

Just finished watching Gaim. Amazing shiw, the writings. Was really well done. Any suggestions for what I should watch next. The only other one I have watched was fourze

OOOs and W are my still my favorite Rider shows, so I would definitely point you in the that direction. I might say Drive once it ends, we'll see. If it stays this good and you can marathon it without waiting week to week, it'll be an easy recommendation from me.

BatDan

Top Bottom