• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

jwk94

I remember talking to someone here about a Netflix Power Ragers after the contract with Nick is done and I'd really like that. It would be a lot of fun just watching it all at once....or multiple times. Hell, like you said, they could even divide it into a spring and fall season. As long as it's not weekly like right now.

Speaking of rangers, I'll be meeting Ciara Hanna (Super Megaforce Yellow) AND Troy Baker at the end of the month at PopCon! =D Does anyone have questions you want me to ask her?

I am still saying the movie is vaporware

Same and even if it does come out, I doubt it'll be good.

jwk94

Which Power Rangers season do you guys think had the best fight scenes? Imo, think that would go to Lightspeed Rescue for me. Hell, LSR had the best sound effects, period. Everything about the battles -- morphs, hits, sparks, explosions -- felt powerful and had some impact to them. I'm surprised we haven't gotten something that good since. I think Time Force was close but not enough.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Another Dino Charge spoiler.
Seems the Graphite Ranger
isn't going to be Riley's brother Matt, instead it's someone named Prince Phillip, someone that admires and aspires to be a Power Ranger, and goes on a quest to find his own Energem.
It's possible that Energems can be transferred to other people so Matt could still be Graphite, and the behind-the-scenes footage of the Male Violet would make sense.

jwk94

Another Dino Charge spoiler.
Seems the Graphite Ranger
isn't going to be Riley's brother Matt, instead it's someone named Prince Phillip, someone that admires and aspires to be a Power Ranger, and goes on a quest to find his own Energem.
It's possible that Energems can be transferred to other people so Matt could still be Graphite, and the behind-the-scenes footage of the Male Violet would make sense.
And with that, it's time to go on a blackout. I'll see you guys in the fall!

WillyFive

Which Power Rangers season do you guys think had the best fight scenes? Imo, think that would go to Lightspeed Rescue for me. Hell, LSR had the best sound effects, period. Everything about the battles -- morphs, hits, sparks, explosions -- felt powerful and had some impact to them. I'm surprised we haven't gotten something that good since. I think Time Force was close but not enough.

For original fight scenes? That's tough. I suppose it would be early SPD.

Sakomoto did some great work in PR, but the vast majority of it was ruined by awful editing and horrendous music and sound effects that made it painful to watch.

Pluto

After two weeks of hiatus, I'll start watching a new Kamen Rider series with my friend. I wanted Gaim, she wanted Kiva, so... Kiva it is. Didn't see to much about it, not sure about what to expect.
Kiva is a fun series, I like it a lot, it has a few problems but it's definitely worth watching imo.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Holy shit. Rinna's actress had leukemia 15 years ago. Damn.

From what I heard, it's pretty depressing since apparently she can't have children anymore---I also read apparently there's bad blood between her and another actress who took over some acting role when that was happening to her.

Better than expected!

After two weeks of hiatus, I'll start watching a new Kamen Rider series with my friend. I wanted Gaim, she wanted Kiva, so... Kiva it is. Didn't see to much about it, not sure about what to expect.

Kiva is literally a show that's half good.

The show has a really interesting dual-timeline set-up that's pretty neat, problem is, most of the cool characters are in one timeline, and that's the one which is sort of pushed out of focus in the second half. Oh, and the whole second half of the show is just straight out dumb.

Still, it has some great characters in Otoya, Nago, and Jiro, but also some pretty bad ones like the lead who is pretty much dull and uninteresting, and probably the WORST supporting female friend ever known to man.

The show has some of the coolest suits though, but most of them are written out in the second half and pretty much never appear after that point. This includes the main suit itself being written out because it was crushing the actor.

The one strong-point though is the show has great music throughout the whole way, and is pretty good at capturing a "dark" feel.

I'd check out the Kiva movie too, probably around halfway through the show. It's pretty neat, and has honestly a more interesting plot that I wish the actual show went with.

But fuck, after saying all this, I'll say I'm a huge fan of Kiva regardless.

Tiu Neo

Kiva is literally a show that's half good.

The show has a really interesting dual-timeline set-up that's pretty neat, problem is, most of the cool characters are in one timeline, and that's the one which is sort of pushed out of focus in the second half. Oh, and the whole second half of the show is just straight out dumb.

Still, it has some great characters in Otoya, Nago, and Jiro, but also some pretty bad ones like the lead who is pretty much dull and uninteresting, and probably the WORST supporting female friend ever known to man.

The show has some of the coolest suits though, but most of them are written out in the second half and pretty much never appear after that point. This includes the main suit itself being written out because it was crushing the actor.

The one strong-point though is the show has great music throughout the whole way, and is pretty good at capturing a "dark" feel.

I'd check out the Kiva movie too, probably around halfway through the show. It's pretty neat, and has honestly a more interesting plot that I wish the actual show went with.

But fuck, after saying all this, I'll say I'm a huge fan of Kiva regardless.

Thanks! I'll sure check the movie too, Kabuto's made the story a lot better, even if they didn't use it on the series.

javadoze

So apparently the monster designer for Kamen Rider Ghost is rumored to be mangaka Kazuhiko Shimamoto (Aoi Honoo/Blue Blazes).

This is kind of cool on many different levels (he also was entrusted by Ishinomori to do a remake of Skull Man, so there's that).

WarRock

So apparently the monster designer for Kamen Rider Ghost is rumored to be mangaka Kazuhiko Shimamoto (Aoi Honoo/Blue Blazes).

This is kind of cool on many different levels (he also was entrusted by Ishinomori to do a remake of Skull Man, so there's that).
Hype through the roof if true.

One thing I was wondering is if Ghost will be more japanese inspired (like Ninninger is and Kakuranger was) to grab more views. It seems to work.

WillyFive

Hype through the roof if true.

One thing I was wondering is if Ghost will be more japanese inspired (like Ninninger is and Kakuranger was) to grab more views. It seems to work.

Is there any proof Ninninger is getting higher ratings than last year? Or is that just internet hearsay?

javadoze

Is there any proof Ninninger is getting higher ratings than last year? Or is that just internet hearsay?

Concerning the first 9 episodes of both shows...

Ninninger: 1) 4.8
2) 4.2
3) 4.1
4) 3.9
5) 3.9
6) 4.1
7) 4.2
8) 4.6
9) 3.9

ToQger: 1) 3.3
2) 4.0
3) 2.9
4) 3.8
5) 3.5
6) 4.1
7) 3.1
8) 4.8
9) 4.7

Essentially, ToQger stabilized the ratings after Kyoryuger while Ninninger is looking to be the first actual ratings bump since Shinkenger or so.

BatDan

Drive 33

Despite the googly eyes, I really like Type Tridoron. Even if it's a bit derivative of Den-O/Double (two minds share one body) and Gaim (all the Shift Cars power it up). Krim's a badass, and I applaud the suit actor for managing to switch body languages on the fly.
Interesting that Gou was faking it the whole time. Doesn't entirely make up for his bratty behavior prior to his fake turn, but it's a step in the right direction

... I want that Drive toy that you get for going to the Summer Movie. Damn you Japan for being so far! Actually, it's probably not that worth it as like the last two Summer Movies, it's probably going to suck.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
... I want that Drive toy that you get for going to the Summer Movie. Damn you Japan for being so far! Actually, it's probably not that worth it as like the last two Summer Movies, it's probably going to suck.

They even advertised it during the show lol. I mean the show is a big toy commercial but in the world of Drive that also exists as a toy.

And the summer movie may suck, but it might tie in to the actual show, like the W and Kyoryuger movies did.

Watch Da Birdie

So...I'm confused...

Brain got Mach to work with him using the tablet as leverage, but then also Freeze used his memory freeze (well, thought he used it successfully)?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
*removed for spoilers, also maybe spoiler your post, subs have only been out for a few hours*

Well, I mean, imagine you were Freeze, and Brain brought one of the Kamen Riders to you and told you that he agreed to work for you. Wouldn't you use your memory-altering powers on him anyway? Better to (as far as you know) ensure he won't turn on you later than to risk it.

vareon

Drive Next Episode Preview discussion:

Shinnosuke's father's killer is probably someone we already know, right?

WarRock

HOLY SHIT
The GOAT ultimate form, oh yeah!

So...I'm confused...

Brain got Mach to work with him using the tablet as leverage, but then also Freeze used his memory freeze (well, thought he used it successfully)?
001 is just that sort of guy. He wants to ensure everything is going to work; plus is not like Brain would trust Gou either.

Yeah. Would be fitting if the
Roidmudes made a convoluted plot to make Heart kill him
, but I doubt it.

Watch Da Birdie

I hate recycling an old weapon for the ultimate form.

I guess it's because Gaim and Drive have "all the powers", but so did Cosmic and they still gave him a weapon.

Besides them two, the only main ultimate who never got a unique weapon I think was Den-O and Decade who just used the regular sword iirc. Well, Kuuga too because he focused on using fists and didn't need a weapon.

As much as I wanna see him become a "good guy" and hang out with the SCU, I'm guessing it was Nira out of envy---he apparently leads Brain to evolve to his Super Form from his emotions, and it was odd how this week he seemed detached from Shinnosuke's death and even disappeared when they began the Tridoron experiment.

NeonZ

Den-O Liner form had a special sword. Decade didn't though.

I guess it's because Gaim and Drive have "all the powers", but so did Cosmic and they still gave him a weapon.

It's because they changed how the toyline worked with Gaim and Drive followed the same format. Rather than a new weapon with the final form, both of those shows had a new weapon with the middle upgrade.

If you look at previous series, forms like All Dragon, Magnet States and FangJoker didn't have roleplay weapons, just new transformation devices. Tajador had a weapon (the medal shooter), but in that case it was because his transformation device was just a standard collectible, so the roleplay toy became something else. With Gaim and Drive, the transformation gimmick of the middle forms is special and they get a weapon on top of that.

BatDan

Ninninger 15

Kasumi once again proves the girls are the best part of Ninninger.
She should be number 2 after Red, like Yuri on Timeranger.
It's looking more and more like Kyuuemon will be the real big bad of the season. Betraying Gengetsu near the end.

jwk94

CHAYVC7UcAAYFEr.png:large

hmmmm

javadoze

Nice Drive 33

-Pretty nice performances all around. Especially the scene with the Chief talking to Nira.
-So Gou
was good all along, but got marked by Freeze, but was immune to that? Eh... I feel like this heel turn had one too many conveniences to it.
-I like the whole powerup requirement of having to
drive the Tridoron at 200 Km/h to kickstart Shinnosuke and Krim.
-Heh, Chase broke character when
shouting Kiriko's name. Maybe fear really is the emotion he needs to reach his ultimate evolution?
-The Type Tridoron debut was way better than what I was expecting. The icing on the cake is Seiji Takaiwa
switching mannerisms when Krim takes control.
-So strange that all of Drive's forms don't really have a weapon tied to a form. First we have Type Speed using the Steering Sword more than actual hand-to-hand combat and now we have the Formula cannon being used by Type Tridoron and Type Speed.

I seriously want Krim or Shinnosuke to mention the fact that they're the "two-in-one Kamen Rider" at least once.

shaowebb

Welp...still watching Hurricane Polymar. I'm up to ep 22 of 26 now and other than throwing people into lava and loud bone breakings and the show admitting he kills everyone all the time its not gotten too crazy. In ep 22 a dude is infiltrating the Kuruma Joe detective agency to try and find Polymar since he always appears. That dude's brother was killed by Polymar who killed him with his 3 stage kick (which made it into the game!) .

Hoping for gif-able stuff since this guy has Teru all gushing her low rider pants over him and its making Takeshi jealous. The violence will be off the charts if I'm lucky.

Also I got a great Bust of Hurricane Polymar recently! It even has Teru.

JlDbcSV.jpg

The image doesn't do it justice but its the only non blurry one they had and my camera is borked. It has Polymar Hawk form flying around too. Spiffy.

Now if I could just get ahold of this limited special edition Hurricane Polymar figure...
L48q6z2.jpg

BatDan

They did reveal Dino Charge before Super Megaforce premiered
But I get the feeling they knew SMF sucked and wanted to get fans excited for next season, especially with the announcement that Judd Lynn was in charge now.

But yeah, it's likely at this point Saban Brands is annoyed with how Nickelodeon is doing things, now that they actually have a good season going.
Still hoping things move to Netflix.

jwk94

Advertising next year's branding and toys while we are still only 20% through with the show.

In a 40 episode year, Dino Supercharge would be happening in like a month.
Ah, yeah that makes sense.

Still hoping things move to Netflix.

I'm right there with you. But, what other options are there in the US? We ave Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Nick...and that's pretty much it. It wouldn't work on US Cartoon Network because they've done away with the "CN Real" phase and probably want to distance themselves from live action as best they can. As horrible as Nick is with airing and promoting the show, they're the best choice we have....although I guess there's Disney XD too lol.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 15

That was... quite creative use of the Ninja Aliies having their own free will.

Weird episode, but I like it. The way they divided the teams was pretty cool, everyone had their time to shine. Kasumi was awesome, as always.

The robot battles were awesome, as always. Hope super mobile robots become a thing on future series.

Also... I like what they are doing with Takaharu. His character still isn't good, but he's more of a joke right now than the series focus, it's way better like this.

The story is taking an interesting turn, too. Lot's of potential, right now.

Dad as an extra member would be awesome, too, heh.

Drive 33

Boss is great, never expected that kind of awesome from him on the begining of the series. Nice to see Gou back, even if his plan was kinda convoluted. Hope Chase beats some sense on him, when needed.

Type Tridoron looks a lot better in movement. The way they made Shinnosuke come back to life was pretty cool too.

And there goes 001. Can't wait for Ultimate Heart.

Krim is the best Rider.

shaowebb

Watched several more Polymar. Violence level was normal for Polymar. Then he Rider kicked a whole gang of Squidipusses at the same time.

Amazing.

ke78Lhd.gif

I'm pretty sure in Splatoon when they refer to the old Octarian war vs the Octolings that Polymar is why it ended...

Also NEVER threaten Polymar and try to hurt someone close to him. Dude talked shit at Polymar and drew down on Polymar's dad in front of him. Thing is if you are gonna throw a knife make damned sure you get the job done because if Polymar is left standing and you just threw your only weapon away he goes OFF.

ZDtc933.gif

This dude never woke up. Like ever. His teeth and ribs are now sand. BONE SAND.

Tiu Neo

Watched Kiva's first episode.

...Kamen Rider's first episodes never make any sense, or it's just Kabuto and Kiva?

Oh, the soundtrack is awesome.

vareon

Watched Kiva's first episode.

...Kamen Rider's first episodes never make any sense, or it's just Kabuto and Kiva?

Oh, the soundtrack is awesome.

It made particularly no sense in Kiva due to the dual timeline thing.

And how good is the Darkness Moon Break and its ost, eh? So good.

Top Bottom