• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

jwk94

So the new ReBoot sounds a lot like Power Rangers Turbo. I'd say if that comes to an American channel that isn't Nick, we have our first sign of what channel might be able to take Power Rangers.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So the new ReBoot sounds a lot like Power Rangers Turbo. I'd say if that comes to an American channel that isn't Nick, we have our first sign of what channel might be able to take Power Rangers.

It sounds more like Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad, if anything.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One of the 2ch trips is saying that apparently Ghost's suit is orange and black...

And soon I might be able to read such posts myself since I'm studying Japanese right now. I've only just memorized the hiragana characters though, so I could only make out the "daitai" part of the post though on my own.

javadoze

One of the 2ch trips is saying that apparently Ghost's suit is orange and black...

And soon I might be able to read such posts myself since I'm studying Japanese right now. I've only just memorized the hiragana characters though, so I could only make out the "daitai" part of the post though on my own.

Red/Black(Wizard) -> Orange/Blue(Gaim) -> Red/Black(Drive) -> Orange/Black(Ghost)

I think I'm starting to see a pattern...

Well, I'm being a little generous with Gaim, but whatever.

Watch Da Birdie

I remember seeing in the Decade Web Shows that Kiva had a slight Jack-O-Lantern motif in his face design, although it doesn't really come out that well since most focus on the bat motif...wonder if they're gonna re-do that motif, and put it more at the forefront.

Don't be afraid to pm me or check out the "Big Ass Japanese Learning Thread" on gaf if you need any tips.

vareon

I can't wait for the crude drawings. They're fun.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why can't the show be just about Kasumi

Welp...still watching Hurricane Polymar. I'm up to ep 22 of 26 now and other than throwing people into lava and loud bone breakings and the show admitting he kills everyone all the time its not gotten too crazy. In ep 22 a dude is infiltrating the Kuruma Joe detective agency to try and find Polymar since he always appears. That dude's brother was killed by Polymar who killed him with his 3 stage kick (which made it into the game!) .

Hoping for gif-able stuff since this guy has Teru all gushing her low rider pants over him and its making Takeshi jealous. The violence will be off the charts if I'm lucky.

Also I got a great Bust of Hurricane Polymar recently! It even has Teru.

JlDbcSV.jpg

The image doesn't do it justice but its the only non blurry one they had and my camera is borked. It has Polymar Hawk form flying around too. Spiffy.

Now if I could just get ahold of this limited special edition Hurricane Polymar figure...
L48q6z2.jpg

Polimar looks like he's Kenshiro if he went toku.

Also I now wonder if we'll get a Polimar reboot.

Delio

It's going to be interesting watching it. If they go full on hero suits when they go cartoony and into the computer than I'll give it a shot.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ninninger – 15

Oh man Kasumi really rocked in this episode.

Drive- 33

"Now Count up your sins" Oh wait wrong rider. ;p

But man this episode really got me excited and I can't wait to see more of Type Tridon.

shaowebb

I wonder, did it only get up to 26 eps because it had poor ratings?
EDIT: Speculation ahead...

TLDR: I think if it was a single hero show not using Time Bokan's "Yatterman Formula" they were just sorta doin 26 eps. Cashern ran long but its friggin' Cashern so speculatively it could have just gotten more eps because it was just that damned popular. Their may not have been any rhyme or reason to it, but considering that out of the single character driven heroes 2 of the 3 not following Time Bokan stuff were the same length and the outlier was one of the most popular things they had ever done it could have been just a case of "we do 26 but if its popular we do more" at Tatsunoko.

Other than Gatchaman and Yatterman/Time Bokan stuff that is exactly the amount of episodes Tatsunoko slated for their animated series Polymar and Tekkaman. Both Polymar and Space Knight Tekkaman were 26 episodes and Cashern was only in the 30's. Their biggest hit was obviously Gatchaman and Yatterman though, but Yatterman to stay fresh was turned into a formula to allow them to make new heroes so that they could sell more toys.

Basically Time Bokan had a Doronbo gang trio of comedy villains the show focused on more than the heroes, and a lot of puns ending in a wacky robot they would try and fail to defeat the hero in who typically also had an odd robot or some weird robot of the week he would use against them.

Shows were things like:

• Zenderman (which had Zoro like characters)
  • Itadakiman (which toyed with the idea of the hero growing huge to fight robots like ultraman does)
  • Ippatsuman (had baseball themes on the hero to appeal to kids being into the baseball craze of that era. He had Super strength, flight, and durability too though)
  • Rescueman (had a handcuff gun, a comb boomerang for the girl...yeah I dunno if there was a real theme here...)
  • Yattodetaman (Giant robot shades of Go Nagai stuff and themes of knights and fantasy...probably one of the better themes)

Generally 26 episodes was the thing though before they did the next whatever for awhile early on. Once they saw the cash potential of Yatterman as a formula Time Bokan took off. Time Bokan cancelled Itadakiman quick though after 20 and the rest were slated above 50 episodes though.

Tatsunoko just generally found more cash in the team based Gatchaman and the prop filled Yatterman/Time Bokan merch for obvious reasons.

FUN FACTS
Tatsunoko had a lot of crazy and awesome shows. Many of which could have made great additions to the Tatsunoko vs Capcom franchise. Some were even considered like Muteking the Dashing Warrior. Other Shows they did worth looking up include:
Gordian Warrior
Megazone 23
Robotech
Mach Go Go Go (speed racer)
Space Ace
Zillion
Genesis Climber Mospeada
Future Police Urashiman (which pulled them off the brink of bankruptcy!)

jwk94

PR 2017 movie rumor:

villain:
Rita: “A huntress. A striking, yet subtly alien-looking woman. She carries a metallic staff topped with a distinctive crescent shape. Advances with a soldier’s confidence, guided by some sort of compass... Her staff is actually a device of immense power. She points it at the ground. Heads emerge, built layer upon layer like 3-D printing, made from the earth itself... The staff’s technology grants her the ability to create humanoid figures, soulless and robotic.”

First scene:
I'm also told that we first meet Rita in the prologue of the film which takes place during the cretaceous period, on the last day of the dinosaurs on Earth. Rita fights that period's Power Rangers. The Red Ranger is also fan favorite ZORDON!

Sources describe Zordon to me as...
“Though alien, he looks like a man in his 50s. Sinewy and strong, as if carved from some root that refused to die. A being of integrity and iron will.”
http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2...ovie-villain-opening-scene-revealed-exclusive

If true, this doesn't sound too bad.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
PR 2017 movie rumor:

villain:
Rita: “A huntress. A striking, yet subtly alien-looking woman. She carries a metallic staff topped with a distinctive crescent shape. Advances with a soldier’s confidence, guided by some sort of compass... Her staff is actually a device of immense power. She points it at the ground. Heads emerge, built layer upon layer like 3-D printing, made from the earth itself... The staff’s technology grants her the ability to create humanoid figures, soulless and robotic.”

First scene:
I'm also told that we first meet Rita in the prologue of the film which takes place during the cretaceous period, on the last day of the dinosaurs on Earth. Rita fights that period's Power Rangers. The Red Ranger is also fan favorite ZORDON!

Sources describe Zordon to me as...
“Though alien, he looks like a man in his 50s. Sinewy and strong, as if carved from some root that refused to die. A being of integrity and iron will.”
http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2...ovie-villain-opening-scene-revealed-exclusive

If true, this doesn't sound too bad.

Sounds a bit like a combination of MMPR and Zyuranger with Rita existing in the Cretaceous period instead of "10,000 years ago"
I hope this means they'll kill off Tommy!

jwk94

Sounds a bit like a combination of MMPR and Zyuranger with Rita existing in the Cretaceous period instead of "10,000 years ago"
I hope this means they'll kill off Tommy!

Wouldn't they just revive him for the White Ranger movie?/spoiler]

BatDan

Wouldn't they just revive him for the White Ranger movie?

I partly just want Tommy to die just to see JDF have a fit on Facebook as he continues to believe he is the God King of the franchise. Yeaaaaaaaaaah

Boss Doggie

Man what's up with US and their stupid pop culture "stick to it" crap? It's why PR will never progress properly.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man what's up with US and their stupid pop culture "stick to it" crap? It's why PR will never progress properly.

You're wording this weirdly, but you're basically just talking about nostalgia/the MMPR focus again, hm?

Literally no adult who isn't already a PR fan is going to give a PR movie a chance if it isn't MMPR. They're not going to see it because they like Power Rangers. They're going to see it because it reminds them of their childhood.

Boss Doggie

what do you mean?
You're wording this weirdly, but you're basically just talking about nostalgia/the MMPR focus again, hm?

Literally no adult who isn't already a PR fan is going to give a PR movie a chance if it isn't MMPR. They're not going to see it because they like Power Rangers. They're going to see it because it reminds them of their childhood.

I guess you could say partly that and you're right, but I'm talking more of the mindset that "what's first" only counts as far as pop culture goes. Like, you'd think people would see it as a concept and use the concept as a vehicle for future titles, but instead they'd see it as an "owner" of the concept (see: combining mecha being solely relegated as Voltron).

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Tokunet was at the press event for the summer movies.

Drive's movie will have a new form Super Dead Heat, there are pictures of it on their twitter.

yami4ct

Tokunet was at the press event for the summer movies.

Drive's movie will have a new form Super Dead Heat, there are pictures of it on their twitter.

So
Cho Dead Heat
is going to be a Summer Movie thing? Damn. Was hoping
Mach was gonna get a true final upgrade. Dead Heat was introduced too early and doesn't feel like Mach's real finally form.

And it's a
form for Drive? Man, typical KR. Secondary Rider(s) really getting the shaft. Did Drive really need a new form? Also, Deadheat is really more of a Mach thing. Giving the upgrade to Drive seems wrong.

WarRock

I guess you could say partly that and you're right, but I'm talking more of the mindset that "what's first" only counts as far as pop culture goes. Like, you'd think people would see it as a concept and use the concept as a vehicle for future titles, but instead they'd see it as an "owner" of the concept (see: combining mecha being solely relegated as Voltron).
That's hardly a US specific phenomenon. Once I showed a KRBlade picture to some friends, they asked what Power Ranger was that.

At least once a month I see someone saying how much Pacific Rim ripped off Evangelion.

People call any magical projectile used thrown by hand hadouken or kamehameha.

etc, etc

javadoze

It feels like Drive's Type
Super Dead Heat
is more of a Kamen Rider Joker scenario.

In other words,
it isn't more powerful than type tridoron, but more of a last resort if the Drive Driver isn't available.

vareon

People will not care what they won't care. It makes no difference if the brightly suited hero was 2014 or 2015's newest Japanese Super Hero, they only remember what's popular with it. They simply have other interests.

shaowebb

Casshan Episode 1

Holy shit just watch this.
  • Unlike Polymar its a continuing plot that cliffhangers episode to episode
  • DARK. AS. HELL. Planet is dying due to pollution and over industrialization. World is struggling to find a solution. That's the setting.
  • Amidst this the machine meant to lead and terraform the planet to heal it is activated by a freak lightning storm. It has free will and wants to replace mankind with machines. Nearly indestructible and immortal it goes on a killing spree. Takes over the Technologist's lab and builds an army of machines. Braiking boss is born.
  • Braiking Seeks to kill his creator and tracks him with his armor. His creator's son , who possesses a strong sense of justice, asks to be turned into a combat android after seeing their dog revived as a machine after it saved the life of a loved one only to die in its act of destroying one of the machines set against it. Tetsuya will never be able to be a human again if he does this...he demands it and is told never to reveal he is a Neo Human (NeoRoid in the original, Newly made man on Anime Network). CASSHAN IS BORN.
  • Things go to hell, family is taken, world is dying of its own hubris, all is lost.

Jesus this show is awesome. 1 episode in and this is already incredible. Braiking Boss is a horrificly threatening figure. Bison like Dictator delighting in the destruction of humanity. We see him split a man's skull, choke another to death and generally laugh as he terrorizes those he kills. Friender is the Polymar of the show...BRUTAL DOG. Dog transforms into vehicles too. I can see why eventually a hero was made that could just plain do this after Cashan ended (and thus Polymar was born.) Megaman stole from the best carbon copying so much of this show's premise.

Go to anime network and watch it. Just...holy shit this is great.

Tell you what...here's something to set the mood. Check the gifs below while listening to Vengeance by The Protomen.

9Yb8Dvi.gif

pNYOrn1.gif

G0qp0bP.gif

rMtOCXP.gif

Boss Doggie

Yeah original Casshern is fucked up, more so than the 2000's anime.

That's hardly a US specific phenomenon. Once I showed a KRBlade picture to some friends, they asked what Power Ranger was that.

At least once a month I see someone saying how much Pacific Rim ripped off Evangelion.

People call any magical projectile used thrown by hand hadouken or kamehameha.

etc, etc
People will not care what they won't care. It makes no difference if the brightly suited hero was 2014 or 2015's newest Japanese Super Hero, they only remember what's popular with it. They simply have other interests.

I guess that's true.

BatDan

Kamen Rider Drive X Gaim: Full Throttle

Might as well have called this "Kamen Rider vs. The Borg".
I actually really liked this movie. Kind of sucks that they wasted an awesome design like Kamen Rider Lupin on a movie villain. Though the ending does imply he'll be back, possibly in the Summer movie (any word on that?)
I really liked the banter between Shinnosuke and Kouta. I've missed scenes like that, I think the last one was Fourze & OOO.
Mach's cameo kind of sucked. It was better than Beast's cameo in Wizard & Fourze but all he really did was stand around.
"This will be the only time I help you" This would have been a cool scene had I seen this before Chase's turn to good.

Watch Da Birdie

Well, Ghost apparently is confirmed to be featured in the Drive Summer Movie...

I think that means we'll have a reveal by the end of this month.

NeonZ

Kind of sucks that they wasted an awesome design like Kamen Rider Lupin on a movie villain. Though the ending does imply he'll be back, possibly in the Summer movie (any word on that?)

Nah, it doesn't sound like the solo movie has anything to do with Lupin. He could still appear in the finale, like Mars or in the next Movie Wars though.

javadoze

Oh my god (summer movie stuff),
human Krim (who's also a villain) is going to turn into Type Tridoron by himself to serve out a beating to Mach.

ReiGun

"Well, I guess I'm a space god now."

"Space god?! Well, I don't get it, but you seem like a good guy."

Shinnosuke and Kouta teaming up delivered. And at this point, it would be lunacy if Drive doesn't end with Kiriko and Shinnosuke together.

yami4ct

Finally ordered the Figuarts Tridoron. $219 is pretty expensive for what amounts to a giant accessory, but I really want it for a nice Drive display. Type Speed, Formula, and type Tridoron with the Tridoron, Mach and his bike as well as both Chaser forms with his bike is going to make a great display. Not gonna lie, the Mr. Belt faces were a good selling point as well.

vareon

Finally ordered the Figuarts Tridoron. $219 is pretty expensive for what amounts to a giant accessory, but I really want it for a nice Drive display. Type Speed, Formula, and type Tridoron with the Tridoron, Mach and his bike as well as both Chaser forms with his bike is going to make a great display. Not gonna lie, the Mr. Belt faces were a good selling point as well.

Man, you're brave. I'm still a little salty over Tridoron (why exclusiveeeee) but maybe I'll get one next year, when it's off-season (and hopefully cheaper). I think my Figuarts for Drive will be strictly Mashin Chaser + Type Tridoron.

yami4ct

Man, you're brave. I'm still a little salty over Tridoron (why exclusiveeeee) but maybe I'll get one next year, when it's off-season (and hopefully cheaper). I think my Figuarts for Drive will be strictly Mashin Chaser + Type Tridoron.

I love all the Drive suit design and I'm already getting the bikes for Mach and Mashin so I kind of didn't want to leave Drive out. The exclusive thing is bit of a mixed problem. On the one hand, it gives you a ton of extra time for Pre-Orders. On the other, you lose the discount of someone like AmiAmi. Overall with Nin-Nin's point reward, you only lose like maybe 20% at most. It's not ideal, but not killer. With the way exclusive prices have been going on the aftermarket, I don't want to bet on that in the end. It seems like the days when you could miss an exclusive like Skull Crystal but could pick it up on Mandarake for at or even lower than retail are kind of gone.

Watch Da Birdie

Full Throttle was pretty good, weakest part was Gaim's imo, but Drive's and the finale were pretty snappy. Love the humor in the final part especially.

javadoze

One more extremely insignificant thing from the movie that is hype-worthy...

There's a magazine pic floating around featuring Shinnosuke as Super Dead Heat Drive with a broken helmet, showing his face.

Was Blade the last time that happened?

BatDan

One more extremely insignificant thing from the movie that is hype-worthy...

There's a magazine pic floating around featuring Shinnosuke as Super Dead Heat Drive with a broken helmet, showing his face.

Was Blade the last time that happened?

I was looking at Decade clips and that happened to G3- X. Don't know if it counts since Decade.

Top Bottom