• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

WarRock

True. But they also made it seem as though they weren't even researching improvements for Mach. Like Dead Heat was it, even though they still had Formula waiting for Drive.
Yeah, you are right.

Now, correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but didn't they imply that Gou also went to Japan with the belt before the Mach System was entirely completed/tested?

It's probably a moot point now that Rinna made Chaser and all, but it's something to consider too.

BossRush

So let me get this straight, the plot of Surprise Drive is that a man from the future came back to warn Shinnosuke about how the Drive Driver will malfunction and cause world wide destruction via robots, and meanwhile an assassin from the future is sent back in time to kill Shinnosuke to stop him from preventing it.

Why did Drive suddenly become Terminator?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So let me get this straight, the plot of Surprise Drive is that a man from the future came back to warn Shinnosuke about how the Drive Driver will malfunction and cause world wide destruction via robots, and meanwhile an assassin from the future is sent back in time to kill Shinnosuke to stop him from preventing it.

Why did Drive suddenly become Terminator?

And somehow the Drive movie will have better CGI than Genysis.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Seems Ghost will be officially revealed July 3rd, although we might see it through leaks before then, and Aikawa Sho is rumored to be writing for it.

javadoze

Seems Ghost will be officially revealed July 3rd...
UK5luXb.gif

...although we might see it through leaks before then, and Aikawa Sho is rumored to be writing for it.
Yp72FLj.gif

vareon

This a good thing or a bad thing?

He...don't have much of a track record, it looks like? Blade is like a decade ago but Decade's early episodes were the better part of it. This will boil down to writer+director+producer combo again, but Hasebe had her hands full on Ninninger so I don't know if they're going to take another Gaim-style risk.

Slayven

Angel Cop - co-writer (as Noboru Aikawa)
Chaos Dragon - co-writer
Eureka Seven: AO - head writer
Fullmetal Alchemist (2003 anime) - head writer
Genocyber - co-writer
Ghost Slayers Ayashi - head writer
Martian Successor Nadesico - head writer (as Noboru Aikawa)
Neo Ranga - Script, Original creator
Un-Go[1] (2011 anime) - head writer
Urotsukidoji - co-writer
Violence Jack - head writer (as Noboru Aikawa)

Tokusatsu

Kamen Rider Blade - head writer (episodes 22~49)
GouGou Sentai Boukenger - head writer
Juuken Sentai Gekiranger
Engine Sentai Go-Onger
Kamen Rider Decade - head writer (episodes 1~13)
Kamen Rider Wizard - head writer (episodes 52~53)

Damn, when he is good, he is damn good. But when he is low, he is damn low.

yami4ct

This is the guy responsible for Eureka Seven AO? One of the worst anime I've ever seen. I'm certain he can't completely be to blamed, but that does not give me hope for Ghost. At least I have the rest of Drive to look forward to.

shaowebb

Seems Ghost will be officially revealed July 3rd, although we might see it through leaks before then, and Aikawa Sho is rumored to be writing for it.

Wait...the man responsible for the last two episodes of Wizard which somehow eclipsed the whole series in terms of how awful they were?! I still have my facebook avator since oct 4th 2013 as this...
QbxNsMD.jpg

... in mockery of how bad those were!

Kamen Rider Ghost sounds like such a cool theme name too. Just like "Wizard"...please don't let it suck. :(

NeonZ

Wait...the man responsible for the last two episodes of Wizard which somehow eclipsed the whole series in terms of how awful they were?!

You disliked it that much? It's one of my favorite Riders crossovers, due to all Riders getting lines and using their abilities, rather than just treating them like generic placeholders. The villain although obviously rushed also had a good enough excuse to be a big threat.

When you get things like Kuuga with a thumbs up to cheer up a child and Ryuki asking to stop the fighting it really felt like the characters were there, in spite of the lack of actors. The references to the origin of the series (cross fire and the speech about fighting for freedom) also were surprising considering how it was a Heisei Rider special.

KamenRiderWizard_ep53_14_zps4500c10d.jpg

I don't get why the actor portraying Amadum was overacting so much, but I don't think that destroyed those episodes.

WarRock

Said this before and saying again: crossover and Christmas episodes were the best Wizard focused episodes in Kamen Rider Beast.

vareon

Wizard's crossover special doesn't take itself seriously, that's why it's so fun.

I doubt that's anything representative of Sho Aikawa's writing, though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I know i'm super late, but I haven't watched Toku in 3 weeks (no time, then didn't feel like it, then E3), but I took the Golf as a signal to catch up (on both the series and the thread) and everything I had to say has already been said.

However, I do need to reinforce the sentiment that Type Tridoron looks badass. Krim Henshin is pretty great too.

I was quite surprised how Type Tridoron looks, specially after Type Formula.

Watch Da Birdie

Quite literally.

I somehow think that: getting Sho Aikawa on + getting a more ghoulish theme makes me think that this is another attempt "to get Kamen Rider back to its darker roots" or something (like with Gaim minus the fruits).

I hate all this "get back to roots", "change what Kamen Rider is", etc. PR talk. Just make a good, fun show that does its own thing.

Watch Da Birdie

So Drive.

I like Drive, but they did that too before it aired...I remember one of the PR pieces was like "as the 16th Hesei, it has now exceeded Showa, and thus will take the series in a new direction while paying tribute to its roots...", and there was stuff about getting things back to the status-quo after Gaim.

BatDan

Ninninger 17

Oh man that trollish ending. "You're still on American time"
Interesting how Episode 17 is the Sixth Ranger leaving when it's normally their first appearance. Of course this won't last, Kinji is in the trailers for the Summer Movie.
Shurikenjin Surfer might be the best thing ever. The Megazords this season have been some of the best.

Drive

Holy shit this episode was epic! Type Tridoran just wrecked so much shit, and in a shocking twist Brain didn't die! What's going to happen to Kiriko? Will Gou finally get over his depression? Is Heart going to do some- FORE *poof* Huh what? Oh, it was all a dream. Created by Golfgom!

Tiu Neo

This week's Ninninger...

If Starninger is on the summer movie, he won't be gone for that long, will him? I hope not.

The new Ninja ally is pretty cool, too. The music when he was summoned, heh. Some cool camera angles on that battle, too. I like how the giant battles are fun on this series.

jwk94

So I'm listening to No Pink Spandex. The speculation for how good/bad Samurai would be when Saban bought back PR is hilarious. They actually had legitimate concerns that, unfortunately, turned out to be true.

WarRock

vareon

I never really thought of it, but was Kamen Rider Beast based on shamans? Ancient wizard, animal motif, and that he used dice-based attack---shamans throw bones to read the future.

Maybe very reaching but I never gave "why is Wizard's second rider a Beast" a second thought.

BatDan

SDCC is in a couple weeks. Last year, Shout Factory announced Zyuranger on DVD. Think they'll announce Dairanger & Kakuranger this year?

This also got me thinking, if Shout Factory got the rights to distribute Kamen Rider, what should they start with?

Black: Not too old, but old enough to likely appeal to the 90's PR audience. Then they'll release Black RX, to tie it into Masked Rider (though I doubt anyone wants to remember that)
Kuuga: Beginning of the Heisei era, good jumping off point.
Ryuki: Ties into Dragon Knight.
Den-O: Because Japan won't stop pushing it.
W: Beginning of the second Heisei era, another good jumping off point.
Original series: Why not? Just go all out.

Tiu Neo

SDCC is in a couple weeks. Last year, Shout Factory announced Zyuranger on DVD. Think they'll announce Dairanger & Kakuranger this year?

This also got me thinking, if Shout Factory got the rights to distribute Kamen Rider, what should they start with?

Black: Not too old, but old enough to likely appeal to the 90's PR audience. Then they'll release Black RX, to tie it into Masked Rider (though I doubt anyone wants to remember that)

Oooh, if they release Kakuranger I may import it. Goranger would be cool too, but maybe it's too old and wouldn't get that much interest compared to those two and other PR seasons.

Kamen Rider... Black would be cool, not sure if anyone subbed that. But Masked Rider being RX may help (or make things worse) for him, yeah. Well, if MR has a bad fame, maybe they could release Black and forget RX existed?

Didn't watch the others yet, heh.

javadoze

I think they'd probably go with Black (seeing that it's the one with the most nostalgia value).

BatDan

Oooh, if they release Kakuranger I may import it. Goranger would be cool too, but maybe it's too old and wouldn't get that much interest compared to those two and other PR seasons.

Kamen Rider... Black would be cool, not sure if anyone subbed that. But Masked Rider being RX may help (or make things worse) for him, yeah. Well, if MR has a bad fame, maybe they could release Black and forget RX existed?

Didn't watch the others yet, heh.

Masked Rider isn't fondly remembered. It's the reason Steve Wang fought tooth and nail to have Dragon Knight called "Kamen Rider" instead of "Masked Rider", it was that bad.
But if they do release KR DVDs, they should still release RX and likely not mention its connection with Saban's sad attempt.

Top Bottom