• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Tiu Neo

Masked Rider isn't fondly remembered. It's the reason Steve Wang fought tooth and nail to have Dragon Knight called "Kamen Rider" instead of "Masked Rider", it was that bad.
But if they do release KR DVDs, they should still release RX and likely not mention its connection with Saban's sad attempt.

Oh, that bad, huh?

As someone who watched RX first, I couldn't stand one episode of Masked Rider when I was younger. Felt too strange to me.

SDCC is in a couple weeks. Last year, Shout Factory announced Zyuranger on DVD. Think they'll announce Dairanger & Kakuranger this year?

This also got me thinking, if Shout Factory got the rights to distribute Kamen Rider, what should they start with?

Black: Not too old, but old enough to likely appeal to the 90's PR audience. Then they'll release Black RX, to tie it into Masked Rider (though I doubt anyone wants to remember that)
Kuuga: Beginning of the Heisei era, good jumping off point.
Ryuki: Ties into Dragon Knight.
Den-O: Because Japan won't stop pushing it.
W: Beginning of the second Heisei era, another good jumping off point.
Original series: Why not? Just go all out.

I wonder. Wasn't there a rumor a few pages back that Dai and Kaku were next?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh, that bad, huh?

As someone who watched RX first, I couldn't stand one episode of Masked Rider when I was younger. Felt too strange to me.

Let me put it this way...
You know how Power Rangers had Alpha 5?
Masked Rider had Ferbus
Yeah...

I wonder. Wasn't there a rumor a few pages back that Dai and Kaku were next?

Yeah, it was from Bruno of MMPR Toys. He's a good source so it sounds likely.

Yeah, it was from Bruno of MMPR Toys. He's a good source so it sounds likely.

The other thing I always wondered... did Shout tease it all the way back during the release when they left the previews for Dairanger in? Was it really just "part of the set" or was it intended to be a full out "here it is, but we ain't sayin nothin till next SDCC" type of thing.

BatDan

The other thing I always wondered... did Shout tease it all the way back during the release when they left the previews for Dairanger in? Was it really just "part of the set" or was it intended to be a full out "here it is, but we ain't sayin nothin till next SDCC" type of thing.

It was likely just "part of the set", but then again they could have removed the Dairanger preview if they had no plans. Of course, it all mattered on how well the set sold and from what I hear it did decently.

Dekaranger 1-5

ONE: EMERGENCY
TWO: DEKARANGER
THREE: ACTION
FOUR: PERFECT
FIVE: GET ON!

Awesome that they're finally getting through Dekaranger

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I hope Ghost's secondary is a dinosaur.

Think about it...ghosts are dead, and so are dinosaurs. It writes itself, really. But make it like a skeleton, fossil dinosaur Rider, and you're golden!

Pluto

Masked Rider isn't fondly remembered. It's the reason Steve Wang fought tooth and nail to have Dragon Knight called "Kamen Rider" instead of "Masked Rider", it was that bad.
And then Dragon Knight was just as bad if not worse, what a horrible series.

Yay for Dekaranger and I hope Shout announces a Dai-Megaranger megaset, there are so many seasons, so I really hope they start releasing them in bulk. The only people buying those shows are adult sentai fanboys, and fanboys like megasets, apparently PR did really well in that format.

Tiu Neo

Let me put it this way...
You know how Power Rangers had Alpha 5?
Masked Rider had Ferbus
Yeah...

...I think I remember something like that.

Anyway, Kiva is pretty good. The supporting cast isn't as good as Kabuto, but there are some pretty cool characters. Ootoya is awesome, and I like Wataru's weird personality too.

Just watched the episode where Ootoya
transforms into IXA.

BatDan

And then Dragon Knight was just as bad if not worse, what a horrible series.

Dragon Knight tried way too hard to be "serious"
I saw interviews where they claimed it was "not Power Rangers" or "anti-Power Rangers". Trying really hard to convince people this was a "serious product for all ages". Even though RPM was airing around that time and did a better job of it...

Watch Da Birdie

...I think I remember something like that.

Anyway, Kiva is pretty good. The supporting cast isn't as good as Kabuto, but there are some pretty cool characters. Ootoya is awesome, and I like Wataru's weird personality too.

Just watched the episode where Ootoya
transforms into IXA.

Kiva loses thousands of points because the one girl who hangs out with Wataru, Shizuka I think she's called, is literally annoying as hell. Like I actually think Shunpei is an okay character, but she flat out sucks. Also Kengo starts off cool but he also ends up sucking for most of the series.

But, on the other hand, Kiva does have Nago, the awesome Arm Monsters (who sadly sort of get less focus as the series goes on), and or course Otoya. Also I love Kivat and Tatsulot.

If Ghost is horror-themed, I wonder if we'll have any Kiva actors appear in new roles to sort of homage that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
oh hey it's Tackle

tumblr_ma9bnklQDN1rucmldo1_1280.jpg

BatDan

To be honest, I've only watched one episode of Dragon Knight before today. I just heard that it was "too serious" and read the interviews about it. So I decided to watch more.
Finished Episode 5
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
This is immensely dull. The acting is bad even by Western Toku standards, I don't care for any of the characters, there's so much slow-mo, why are the recaps so long, it's like I'm watching One Piece.
"Venting" Maybe you shouldn't have picked a KR season where death is so prevalent and have to make up your own version of it.

I get the feeling that people that say this is good, have never actually watched a season of Kamen Rider.

Tiu Neo

Kiva loses thousands of points because the one girl who hangs out with Wataru, Shizuka I think she's called, is literally annoying as hell. Like I actually think Shunpei is an okay character, but she flat out sucks. Also Kengo starts off cool but he also ends up sucking for most of the series.

But, on the other hand, Kiva does have Nago, the awesome Arm Monsters (who sadly sort of get less focus as the series goes on), and or course Otoya. Also I love Kivat and Tatsulot.

If Ghost is horror-themed, I wonder if we'll have any Kiva actors appear in new roles to sort of homage that.

Yep, Shizuka can get annoying sometimes. Still, she has a few good moments, up to now . Mostly interactions with Wataru and how he reacts.

Kengo is one of my favorites right now, kinda sad if he really gets worse. The arm monsters (I still don't know much about the third one) are pretty cool, too. Jiro is a cool semi-antagonist, without being irritanting.

Nago... I don't really like him that much, right now. Too much blind rage and angst, but I can see how he can get better.

Watch Da Birdie

So...someone watched Men In Black when making Dekaranger, right? Total M.I.B. vibes during the scene where they were interrogating undercover aliens...even a talking dog alien.

Yep, Shizuka can get annoying sometimes. Still, she has a few good moments, up to now . Mostly interactions with Wataru and how he reacts.

Nago... I don't really like him that much, right now. Too much blind rage and angst, but I can see how he can get better.

Shizuka gets worse, though---there's one scene I recall that puts a ton of people off her where she's like extremely jealous and vindictive when Wataru is with a girl. Also calling herself his "mother" is creepy as shit.

Nago and Kengo basically switch places though, Nago becomes a total bro and Kengo devolves into a prick. There's some great Nago moments to come.

Tiu Neo

So...someone watched Men In Black when making Dekaranger, right? Total M.I.B. vibes during the scene where they were interrogating undercover aliens...even a talking dog alien.

Shizuka gets worse, though---there's one scene I recall that puts a ton of people off her where she's like extremely jealous and vindictive when Wataru is with a girl. Also calling herself his "mother" is creepy as shit.

Nago and Kengo basically switch places though, Nago becomes a total bro and Kengo devolves into a prick. There's some great Nago moments to come.

Oh, yes, she already did that. It was... silly.

And good to know, I like IXA's design, but I don't really like Nago right now. One of the reasons that made me happy with Ootoya becoming IXA in the past.

Nago will lose the IXA powers before/a little after he gets better, won't he?

Tiu Neo

Doggie is best.

Oh, that's true, more people will know the awesomeness of Doggie now.

Kinda makes we wish I waited a bit more to watch it, but eh, TV-N wasn't that bad on Deka. Not Gekiranger levels, at least. (Judging this by the movie, I probably would have dropped Geki if the only option for the episodes was them)

BatDan

Dragon Knight is a 20 hour long Kamen Rider fanfilm; and it is as bad as it sounds.

6 episodes in and yeah it reeks of incompetence. So. Much. Recaps.

Also, "Kamen Rider" is the lamest morphing call. Even Masked Rider got that right with "Ecto-Phase Activate".
I know that using "Henshin" wouldn't work (not that it stopped Capcom) but they could have put more original thought into that.

Episode 7: Recap shows scene of Kit yelling at Len, then we see Len thinking about that scene.
Who... who the fuck made this? This is terrible.

I really wish Rina Koike wasn't cast in this show now. Shoulda let her grow up a bit and get a shot on one of the newer Rider shows. Love her now tho. Mad drum skills among other things >_>

Watch Da Birdie

I always thought Kiva really felt like a re-do of Faiz (although for me I watched Kiva before Faiz), as it tackles a lot of the same themes---the human vs. monster coexistence, which both shows sort of squander by making the monsters almost universally negative that the "coexistence" is really shaky, and of course the focus on misunderstandings both platonic and romantic, including using Mari's actress again in basically a similar role. And then you have IXA who's obviously inspired by the Faiz suits.

Although suit-wise, it reminds me of Agito with the way Kiva acts in a trance whenever he transforms with barely any of Wataru's personality shining through, and the "forms" being like Agito's where only a portion of the main suit changes, including culminating in a barely-used Trinity/DoGaBaKi Form.

It's hard to say which is better...Faiz or Kiva. Both shows have a fuck ton of style, but both also really fuck up their plot by the end.

Either way, the Universal Movie Monsters are a cool theme that I wouldn't mind Ghost re-using...perhaps as their own full Riders as opposed to simply kaijin/form changes. Also, there TOTALLY needs to be a Universal Movie Monster Sentai one day!

sprsk said:
Damn't I forgot to record thissssssssss. I wonder if it's on youtube anywhere...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqM1SLvc6U

WillyFive

Ladybug seems great. Would love to have a Kamen Rider CG cartoon with that art style, it would work outside Japan.

6 episodes in and yeah it reeks of incompetence. So. Much. Recaps.

Also, "Kamen Rider" is the lamest morphing call. Even Masked Rider got that right with "Ecto-Phase Activate".
I know that using "Henshin" wouldn't work (not that it stopped Capcom) but they could have put more original thought into that.

Episode 7: Recap shows scene of Kit yelling at Len, then we see Len thinking about that scene.
Who... who the fuck made this? This is terrible.

A bunch of amateurs. They were incredibly lucky that a TV channel actually aired them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh, that's true, more people will know the awesomeness of Doggie now.

Kinda makes we wish I waited a bit more to watch it, but eh, TV-N wasn't that bad on Deka. Not Gekiranger levels, at least. (Judging this by the movie, I probably would have dropped Geki if the only option for the episodes was them)

Doggie was a bit iffy in the early eps, you could see his mouth not move when he talks. He gets better though.

I think I should change avatar.

BatDan

11 episodes into Dragon Knight now. A bit more than 1/4th through the series.
Nothing has fucking happened.
I guess two Riders have died, sorry Vented, but only the first one really mattered as he was to show what "Venting" is. From what I've read, the second wasn't even in the main Ryuki series, he was in the movie/13 Riders special.
But in the overall scheme of things, nothing has really happened. I guess Kit found his dad but I don't care.
The characters are all so bland, all the "Evil Riders" have the same "grr I'm angry" personality and tone of voice. Kit is about as fun as a board of plywood. Len is the same "grr I'm angry".
The only ones I liked are Scissors for his dumb lines ("You look like a million bucks! You should be flipping burgers!") and Xaviax for devouring the scenery (he actually seems to understand the show he's in).

But... I survived Wizard. I can survive this.

Pluto

11 episodes into Dragon Knight now. A bit more than 1/4th through the series.
Nothing has fucking happened.
I guess two Riders have died, sorry Vented, but only the first one really mattered as he was to show what "Venting" is. From what I've read, the second wasn't even in the main Ryuki series, he was in the movie/13 Riders special.
But in the overall scheme of things, nothing has really happened. I guess Kit found his dad but I don't care.
The characters are all so bland, all the "Evil Riders" have the same "grr I'm angry" personality and tone of voice. Kit is about as fun as a board of plywood. Len is the same "grr I'm angry".
The only ones I liked are Scissors for his dumb lines ("You look like a million bucks! You should be flipping burgers!") and Xaviax for devouring the scenery (he actually seems to understand the show he's in).

But... I survived Wizard. I can survive this.
I told you it sucked, keep watching, it gets worse.

When you're done with the series visit rangerboard to read this post:

http://www.rangerboard.com/showpost.php?p=3326339&postcount=4001

It's really long but very good, it completely destroys the show, detailing every screw up and mistake and explaining why it sucks. it obviously includes spoilers for the entire series.

I should probably rewatch Kiva, I still remember episode 20, I liked the show before that but I think this episode and the introduction made it click for me.
Episode 31 is another favorite, it included one of the biggest fuck yeah moments as far as I'm concerned.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I told you it sucked, keep watching, it gets worse.

When you're done with the series visit rangerboard to read this post:

http://www.rangerboard.com/showpost.php?p=3326339&postcount=4001

It's really long but very good, it completely destroys the show, detailing every screw up and mistake and explaining why it sucks. it obviously includes spoilers for the entire series.

A really good friend of mine wrote that. We all thought he was crazy for marathoning KRDK just to write it. :lol

Also if anyone has encoding issues with that post, here's how to fix it (for some reason Rangerboard sometimes defaults to Western encoding rather than UTF-8, which can lead to things like apostrophes displaying as garbled text):

Chrome

Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
Select "Tools".
Select "Encoding".
Pick one "Unicode (UTF-8)" from the menu of encodings
For more help with Google Chrome, visit the Chrome Help Center.

Firefox

Select "View" from the top of your browser window.
Select "Character Encoding."
Select "Unicode (UTF-8)" from the dropdown menu.

BatDan

Top Bottom