• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

jwk94

Those 10 Years after scans:

Interested to hear that Ban's been working exclusively with Fire Squad. Wonder how that might affect the team dynamic when he returns to Earth. Hoji looks like he's been hittin the bottle in his partner's absence. Nobody asked for a new Yellow and Red. NOBODY.

Tiu Neo

Interested to hear that Ban's been working exclusively with Fire Squad. Wonder how that might affect the team dynamic when he returns to Earth. Hoji looks like he's been hittin the bottle in his partner's absence. Nobody asked for a new Yellow and Red. NOBODY.

New Red and Yellow could be interesting. I mean, they would need a new red after Ban was gone, right? I wonder what happened to Jasmine.

I want to know more about what happened to Hoji too.

Also, Ninninger scans:

I hope the new powerup they showed is not red-only.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
She slips into to the garage to meet JASON where she proceeds to make out with him and they get busted by her father

Fuck Tommy ahahahaha yeeeeahh

k5Fwd7T.jpg

shaowebb

Anyone else get the feeling its closing in on time for a new Kamen Rider game announcement? Summonride seems to have drifted out and been about as interesting as an empty game box from all accounts so maybe they'll go back in on either Climax Heroes or Battride.

Personally, I reserve hope for an ASW or Capcom fighter someday, but Namco got that shit on lockdown apparently.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What about Storm Heroes, that new mobile game? There's a thread on /m/ about it right now, but I don't have interest in a mobile game---but it's apparently okay from the discussion I've seen.

But yeah, I want to see Battride War III honestly. I skipped BW2, but I'd probably get III since it'd have probably Drive, Mach, maaaybe Chaser, plus the Gaim Riders I missed in BW2. I think since last game focused on Movies, maybe this time go for like Dark Riders? I mean you've got Dark Drive now to use, maybe throw in Mashin Chaser since he's sort of one.

Or it's time for a Kamen Rider Racing now that we have Drive, haha.

WarRock

You gained a lot of respect points for bringing up starforce
Megaman Fourze is pretty awesome, I think I may have discussed it already either in this thread or the older one.

Anyone else get the feeling its closing in on time for a new Kamen Rider game announcement? Summonride seems to have drifted out and been about as interesting as an empty game box from all accounts so maybe they'll go back in on either Climax Heroes or Battride.

Personally, I reserve hope for an ASW or Capcom fighter someday, but Namco got that shit on lockdown apparently.
I dunno man, which is the strong platform on Japan nowadays other than mobile? The 3DS? It's probably going to be something for it.

Unless someone is really pushing for a Battride sequel, that I can't see coming for the PS4. Either PS3 only (a la Persona 5) or cross gen.

Ninnin 17
Eh, not feeling this episode, but the end was good. Surfermaru being a surfer AND a sub is so old school mecha anime I can't help but love it!
Shame is probably never going to be used again.

I mean, they're an organization with a clear hierarchy. Being stuck in the same job for 10 years is kinda wack. I'm surprised the whole team isn't new.

And NeoRed (Asumu Asimov) looks a shit-ton like Rakuto Tochihara, who was Asumu from Hibiki.

shaowebb

What about Storm Heroes, that new mobile game? There's a thread on /m/ about it right now, but I don't have interest in a mobile game---but it's apparently okay from the discussion I've seen.

But yeah, I want to see Battride War III honestly. I skipped BW2, but I'd probably get III since it'd have probably Drive, Mach, maaaybe Chaser, plus the Gaim Riders I missed in BW2. I think since last game focused on Movies, maybe this time go for like Dark Riders? I mean you've got Dark Drive now to use, maybe throw in Mashin Chaser since he's sort of one.

Or it's time for a Kamen Rider Racing now that we have Drive, haha.

Storm Heroes kinda looks like mobile Summon Ride though :(

I miss the days of All Rider Generation, Battride and Chou Climax Heroes.Good times...though Battride needed serious polish.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Storm Heroes kinda looks like mobile Summon Ride though :(

I miss the days of All Rider Generation, Battride and Chou Climax Heroes.Good times...though Battride needed serious polish.

storm heroes isnt bad, but its got the standard mobile game trappings. if youve played one game, then you know how the system works.

Slayven

Feels like Double was the last time we had a 100 percent untouchable Kamen Rider Soundtrack, they use to be such hot fire and events in themselves.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Feels like Double was the last time we had a 100 percent untouchable Kamen Rider Soundtrack, they use to be such hot fire and events in themselves.

Speaking of this, next week's Drive has "Spin Your Wheels", a new insert by Shinnosuke, Gou, and Chase.

ReiGun

Speaking of this, next week's Drive has "Spin Your Wheels", a new insert by Shinnosuke, Gou, and Chase.

Speaking of, what's up with Rider shows randomly getting new inserts toward the middle/end of the series now?

Drive didn't have an insert song beyond Full Throttle (which only played during Gou's intro), and suddenly now it's got like four: FT, Don't Lose Your Mind, that one with a female singer that's been played since Type Tridoron debuted, and now Spin Your Wheels.

jwk94

So I'm listening to NPS 165 and they're discussing the first SMF pics and they mentioned something I completely forgot about: Saban had multiple past villain suits and weapons from past ranger teams. How did none of this get used? They had Finster, Demonite, so many more and all we got was a tease of Astronema? Forget the fact that they didn't use it. Why ship it?? Isn't that a huge waste of budget??

javadoze

So I'm listening to NPS 165 and they're discussing the first SMF pics and they mentioned something I completely forgot about: Saban had multiple past villain suits and weapons from past ranger teams. How did none of this get used? They had Finster, Demonite, so many more and all we got was a tease of Astronema? Forget the fact that they didn't use it. Why ship it?? Isn't that a huge waste of budget??

Listening to these horror stories of the SMF production kinda cements more and more how Tzachor got fired/replaced.

jwk94

Listening to these horror stories of the SMF production kinda cements more and more how Tzachor got fired/replaced.

It's honestly kind of depressing. They all seemed moderately excited for SMF and they were thinking we'd get a copy of the Gokai formula (which would have been the SMART thing to do in this case) and just knowing how everything turned out makes me mad. I can't wait until those NDAs expire. I want to hear what happened behind the scenes and how they completely messed this up. They were given the season on a silver platter, a once-in-a-lifetime chance that shouldn't have been possible to mess up but here we are.

EDIT:
Amit (Forever Red) writer pitched a Forever Red 2 or just a 8-10 ranger team-up I guess to Tzachor while they were planning for Super Megaforce. Tzachor's response? "What is Forever Red?"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 18

That was a silly episode. All this over a lawnmower. At least Kinji is back.
That giant lion at the end looks awesome.

Drive 35

Oof, one hell of an "unwinnable" situation. At least here's no golf next week.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
These Yakumo episodes are doing a good job of not making me like Yakumo. He was cool during the fight though. Fuuka's suit actor's suit acting is amazingly cute

NeonZ

Hm... what I find interesting about them is that it seems like they'll be ignoring the crossovers, just like Hurricanger 10 Years After.

I thought the first might have happened just because Hurricanger's writer didn't really had much to do with Sentai afterwards, but it happening here again, this time by a writer who wrote the crossovers themselves, shows that they really don't seem to count the crossovers for the stories of the individual teams.

BatDan

"A lawnmower is an Englishman's pride" ... Where are Japanese people learning about the English? I have never heard about that.

WarRock

Drive 35
BRAIN JUMPING AT MEDIC ON THE SAND OH MY HAHHA

Best episode so far, with tons of stuff going on. Shin being an awesome lead, Niira becoming a detestable villain, the Megazord Krim moment...

Parallax

so ive finally started to watch kiva, and damn, someone needs to put their foot square up nagos ass. dude is smelling himself hardcore

It's honestly kind of depressing. They all seemed moderately excited for SMF and they were thinking we'd get a copy of the Gokai formula (which would have been the SMART thing to do in this case) and just knowing how everything turned out makes me mad. I can't wait until those NDAs expire. I want to hear what happened behind the scenes and how they completely messed this up. They were given the season on a silver platter, a once-in-a-lifetime chance that shouldn't have been possible to mess up but here we are.

EDIT:
Amit (Forever Red) writer pitched a Forever Red 2 or just a 8-10 ranger team-up I guess to Tzachor while they were planning for Super Megaforce. Tzachor's response? "What is Forever Red?"

its amazing just how much of a clusterfuck SMF was in the end. i was lost after they kept the megaforce suits under the super megaforce ones like that made sense, but it was a massive letdown every way imaginable.

javadoze

So I just watched the Zangetsu/Baron Gaimdens:

-Zangetsu's was pretty lame. While I appreciate a look into Takatora's past and all (especially with the father being the Terror Dopant), there was way too much time spent on the B-romance plot.
-With that said, I really liked Ryoma Warhorse's role in both of the Gaidens and the
foreshadowing of him testing out the apple and dragonfruit lockseeds. Also, him growing up in that orphanage was a pretty interesting reveal.
-Baron Gaiden was better. We got a more in-depth explanation of Kaito's past, and plus, we get to see his actor do some out-of-character stuff. The worldbuilding was also pretty cool here and whatnot with
the foreign country's government knowing about the eventual apocalypse and requesting drivers for that purpose.

After watching these, Duke Gaiden seems like an obvious next step. Knuckle Gaiden will be amazing since all Zack
and Peco
do in Baron Gaiden is
get beaten up. Pretty consistent with the show, but they deserve better...

Fourze blows away W's soundtrack, IMO.

That reminds me how great the shows from Double to Wizard were in terms of their soundtracks. Gaim and Drive are just kinda... floundering in that respect.

jwk94

so ive finally started to watch kiva, and damn, someone needs to put their foot square up nagos ass. dude is smelling himself hardcore

its amazing just how much of a clusterfuck SMF was in the end. i was lost after they kept the megaforce suits under the super megaforce ones like that made sense, but it was a massive letdown every way imaginable.

They should have destroyed the powers in the Megaforce finale. I'll say this: Super Megaforce had some of the best PR fights, but that's just about the only compliment I can give. Orion had a cool backstory but we see how that was treated.

BatDan

They should have destroyed the powers in the Megaforce finale. I'll say this: Super Megaforce had some of the best PR fights, but that's just about the only compliment I can give. Orion had a cool backstory but we see how that was treated.

Commending the fights in Super Megaforce is faint praise since almost all of them were Gokaiger fights.
The few original fights weren't that impressive.

BatDan

It's been confirmed that Boom Studios will now be publishing Power Rangers comics.
The downside is that it's more MMPR. What they should do is make it an overall PR comic and have stories from every team.
Like one month it will be Jungle Fury, another it will be Ninja Storm, or have two stories per issue.

WillyFive

It's been confirmed that Boom Studios will now be publishing Power Rangers comics.
The downside is that it's more MMPR. What they should do is make it an overall PR comic and have stories from every team.
Like one month it will be Jungle Fury, another it will be Ninja Storm, or have two stories per issue.

MMPR nostalgia is the worst thing about Power Rangers.

javadoze

Drive 35

Really liked the whole "incident" feel of the whole episode and counting back to the present moment.
I'm guessing Brain/Nira will be offed/arrested come next episode.

Ninninger 18

Beautiful...
Truly the best tale of an Englishman and his lawnmower I've ever witnessed.

BatDan

MMPR nostalgia is the worst thing about Power Rangers.

Seriously... whenever there's a thread in OT about PR, it's always the same "blah blah Green Ranger blah blah original" posts.
If they do an overall comic, they could do things the show couldn't.
Forever Red 2.0
Forever Blue
The Zeo & Turbo gap
All sorts of crossovers.
Making the Operation Overdrive team likeable
Finding a way to make Samurai & Megaforce "decent".

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 18

Eh, weak episode. All this over an lawnmower? Heh, at least this time Takaharu's catchphrase made literal sense.

And Starninger is already back, yay! That was fast.

Drive 35

Now that was a good episode. Brain x Medic was pretty cool. Brain is getting better every episode, I'll miss him when he's gone. Oh, and Beltzord was great, haha.

Next episode will be awesome.

Parallax

I just want my legacy quasar sabre =(

Which is worse: MMPR nostalgia or Pokémon gen 1 nostalgia?

mmpr. genwunners at least recognize the other series. with mmpr, it started and ended with that series, which is evident by the nostalgia grabs

BatDan

mmpr. genwunners at least recognize the other series. with mmpr, it started and ended with that series, which is evident by the nostalgia grabs

It really makes no sense... They could at least acknowledge Zeo.

I wonder if Goranger nostalgia is this bad in Japan

NeonZ

What they should do is make it an overall PR comic and have stories from every team .

Nah, what they should do is something that never could be done in live action - stories involving all teams together and interacting with each other. They could even use MMPR as the "center", but making them constantly interact with other teams would allow it to be something fresher.

Top Bottom