• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

jwk94

oh come on now.

The show is bad. Len's pissed because Kit's working with Torque. He beats up some random monster and just lets them run away like that won't be a problem later. This guy can't be serious. And don't get me started on how easily Kit believed Torque. This kid's an idiot. I don't even think the show owuld be that bad if Matt Mullins was given better lines or could act better.

You also have the obsessive slow-motion, and the senselessly long recap. Who authorized a 1:45 long recap at the beginning of each episode?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The show is bad. Len's pissed because Kit's working with Torque. He beats up some random monster and just lets them run away like that won't be a problem later. This guy can't be serious. And don't get me started on how easily Kit believed Torque. This kid's an idiot. I don't even think the show owuld be that bad if Matt Mullins was given better lines or could act better.

theres inconsistent writing, and theres completely nonsensical writing. super mega force wasnt just bad, it didnt make sense. and the writing staff had no problems throwing out completely unestablished stuff with no sort of instruction like the common viewer is supposed to know what it is. does dragon knight have weak writing? i enjoyed it at the time, but sure. is it as bad as super? i cant possibly see how.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dragon Knight and Megaforce are bad in completely different ways.

Dragon Knight tried too hard. It wanted to be "cool", to be the anti Power Rangers. But it didn't have the writing or competence to pull it off. Characters are established then quickly written out, plot lines are introduced but go nowhere (Kit's dreams as Ryuuga anyone?) and you're left not really caring for anyone in the show. As WillyFive has said, it's an amateur fan film that somehow made it to TV.

Megaforce/Super Megaforce was 40 episodes of "We don't care!" Tzachor and crew had gotten so cynical and complacent in making Power Rangers that they produced a show with no story or characters, just the purpose of selling the toys (and they still failed as they promoted toys they weren't even selling). Yes I know PR is a show made to sell toys, but that hasn't stopped them from telling a story or giving us entertaining characters.
Considering the interview with Ciara Hanna and Cameron Jebo where they reveal that any attempts at addressing plot holes or even expanding the story were met with "Shut up, five year olds won't care", it shows what a mess the whole production really was. I actually feel this is worse since they're NOT amateurs, Tzachor worked on the show since its inception, we shouldn't have gotten something this terrible.

Thank you Based Judd Lynn for making Dino Charge fun to watch.

WillyFive

Dragon Knight: Bad story, bad production values

Megaforce: Bad story, respectable production values

Megaforce wins by default, I feel; even though I consider them both the wrong thing to have been produced for both series.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Has anyone been playing KR Storm Heroes? F2P mobile game that's actually pretty fun.

(The game actually looks a lot better than this. Combination of Imgur's shitty compression and me running it on a lower-end tablet so I've got it on low settings.)

3lsq3M1.jpg

WillyFive

Didn't even knew it existed. The mobile distribution would be a good fit for a Rider/Sentai game honestly, because the game could be effortlessly updated with new content as it premieres on the show; instead of having to release a yearly sequel that would get outdated as soon as a new Rider form showed up.

BatDan

Ninninger 19

I let out an "oh fuck" when I saw the Yokai this week was Nue. I remembered his Kakuranger counterpart and knew this wouldn't be easy.
Shishio is great. I imagine him going "Roar" was a small Gaoranger reference since his actor sang the opening to that.
And damn Lion Ha-Oh is awesome.
Can't wait until next week's combination

Parallax

Dragon Knight: Bad story, bad production values

Megaforce: Bad story, respectable production values

Megaforce wins by default, I feel; even though I consider them both the wrong thing to have been produced for both series.

The the production values werent that bad in dragon knight. Im pretty sure if saban were to adapt kuuga, the same issues would come up

what the fuck? how did that old ass quote end up in my post?

Parallax

just finished kiva, and i think otoya may be one of my favorite kr characters. aspects kinda lull, but i dont get the reputation the series gets. its a pretty good watch. some character motivations are stupid, and faceless corporations are always stupid, and the reasons that fangires and humans couldnt love was never explained, but it was a pretty good series regardless

BatDan

I thought it was a dream when I woke up and saw Ultraman on Google's front page.
Pretty cool that they're paying tribute to Tsuburaya.

Tiu Neo

just finished kiva, and i think otoya may be one of my favorite kr characters. aspects kinda lull, but i dont get the reputation the series gets. its a pretty good watch. some character motivations are stupid, and faceless corporations are always stupid, and the reasons that fangires and humans couldnt love was never explained, but it was a pretty good series regardless

I'm only watching one episode per day, so I'm still halfway through, but the first half of your impressions pretty much sums my feelings about it up to now.

Watarotoya alone made it worth watching this.

vareon

Well you explained it! For me, all of the above plus the fight choreography is really lacking (as I learned now this is probably because the suit was too heavy?). I mean we have the absolutely badass day-turning-into night Darkness Moon Break with the kickass violin, but Kiva only used it, like three times.

Keep in mind that Kiva was THE show for 2008 (and it runs with Go-onger). It just didn't live up to its potential. In rewatch maybe I'll like it more, now that my expectations of what a Kamen Rider show is has been adjusted.

Parallax

Well you explained it! For me, all of the above plus the fight choreography is really lacking (as I learned now this is probably because the suit was too heavy?). I mean we have the absolutely badass day-turning-into night Darkness Moon Break with the kickass violin, but Kiva only used it, like three times.

Keep in mind that Kiva was THE show for 2008 (and it runs with Go-onger). It just didn't live up to its potential. In rewatch maybe I'll like it more, now that my expectations of what a Kamen Rider show is has been adjusted.

The people that have telling me to avoid it have put it on wizard tier, which is completely unfair to kiva. One thing i do want to know though...
when the hell was wataru conceived? Like when did otoya have the time while getting his ass kicked by king?
but id rather deal with plot holes than not even being able to remember a plotpoint outside of beast saves the world

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Has anyone been playing KR Storm Heroes? F2P mobile game that's actually pretty fun.

(The game actually looks a lot better than this. Combination of Imgur's shitty compression and me running it on a lower-end tablet so I've got it on low settings.)

3lsq3M1.jpg

Ehhhhhh... I don't know - I played it for 55 minutes and it seems like a less polished Marvel Future Fight.

It looks worse too. Not feeling it. It's too grindy and the gameplay is too repetitive. Future Fight is as well, but at least it's more involved than this and the special meters fill up by themselves, which means that you can use them constantly, as opposed to here, where they're based on the enemies you kill. I had to choose if I wanted a (useless) buff midway through the level or I wanted to keep the meters all the way to the last fight to use a special once.

Still, that Kamen Rider Drive intro was pretty good, and the voice samples were too. Free is free.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Can Shinnosuke not use Type Tridoron if he's not right next to the car, like in today's episode?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Can Shinnosuke not use Type Tridoron if he's not right next to the car, like in today's episode?

I don't remember seeing the car anywhere near him today, but since the car "breaks apart" and attaches to his body, I don't see why it can't come flying (or teleport) from the garage.

Watch Da Birdie

I don't remember seeing the car anywhere near him today, but since the car "breaks apart" and attaches to his body, I don't see why it can't come flying (or teleport) from the garage.

Well I mean I assumed at the end it was probably parked right off screen, but I meant when he was in the building and went with Formula instead, I wondered if like being in a building far from Tridoron blocks him using it.

NeonZ

When was the last time a senti team got a Zoid refresh? New Zoids for everyone

"Zoid"? Not even Zords? Anyway, I think the last time everyone got a new robot that then combined into a new one was in Gekiranger with the GekiFire. Just three members though, since Violet and Chopper were extras. Boukenger was the last time a full 5 members core team got upgrades like that (DaiVoyager).

The Goseiger's movie mecha was kind of like that too, although obviously cheaper and reusing parts. I liked those full team upgrades, the debut of an entirely new fleet had more hype and fits Sentai better than just adding a single new robot like they do nowadays, but I guess they didn't sell well compared to mix & match auxiliary mecha.

vareon

Well I mean I assumed at the end it was probably parked right off screen, but I meant when he was in the building and went with Formula instead, I wondered if like being in a building far from Tridoron blocks him using it.

He transformed to Tridoron indoor a few episodes ago. It's probably just the usual Kamen Rider inconsistency.

Kinda weird that the one getting them out of trouble was a magical iPad. We're finally entering the final arc, are we?

BatDan

Drive 36

Finally, the Nira arc has concluded. No more of his smug face.
Nice job trapping him and Brain during the debriefing.
And we get to see all three Riders working together, with a Triple Rider Kick to finish him off.
I imagine Brain is going to be "under control" from the looks of the ending.

Watch Da Birdie

Banno was so powerful in this episode...it's weird because when he was under Brain, it didn't seem like he had any use really. Like how come he never hurt the Roidmude like that before to escape from them if he can shoot energy beams and float around?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Both Drive and Ninninger episode were good, though I got hyped when all three rider transformed.

Can't believe Drive is hitting its final stretch, I am gonna miss it when it ends. :(

Banno was so powerful in this episode...it's weird because when he was under Brain, it didn't seem like he had any use really. Like how come he never hurt the Roidmude like that before to escape from them if he can shoot energy beams and float around?

Because Banno is a lazy bastard.

Real answer: Banno was probably a last minute addition.

NeonZ

Because Banno is a lazy bastard.

Real answer: Banno was probably a last minute addition.

It was heavily suggested that Banno
was in the tablet
way back in that Blu-Ray box special. I think there might have been changes to his role though.

Top Bottom