• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Started Gingaman

How the hell did they get away with Shelinda's costume? I mean DAMN.

Tiu Neo

Drive 36

Adios Nira, you were a troll until the end.
Krim still best Rider.
Brain
is not dead yet (or so I hope), yes!

javadoze

Drive 36

Krim still best Rider.
Brain

I just love the arrogant-ish fighting style Seiji Takaiwa uses for him. Though I kinda wonder why Krim doesn't take over any longer than for a few seconds.

I hope Ghost marks the return of a distinct fighting style for the main rider (kinda like Wizard).

NeonZ

New interview with Sho Aikawa.

While it's known he isn't writing Ghost, it's still interesting how he talks about his work on Kamen Rider and Super Sentai (and also why he left being the main writer for Decade halfway in).

Hey, I was right about Sho Aikawa having different goals from Shirakura regarding Decade's story.

Of course, we don't know exactly what they were, but I think the big sign is Wataru in the first episode. Although he's seemingly god-like, he mentions that he's working alongside "friends" to protect Natsumi's world, and in the same episode we have Ryuki's cameo, watching Natsumi. So, he seems to be a character and part of the narrative.

However, according to an interview given by Shirakura during the series, Decade's Wataru wasn't mean to be an actual character, but just a "narrator" or "voice in the sky". That's also probably why Movie Wars 2010 ended up very different from where the original cliff hanger seemed to be going. Yonemura in the final arc seemed to be using Kenzaki and Wataru as actual characters too, which contradicts Shirakura's goal. It's likely why Wataru's only scene in the movie is giving exposition for the multiverse rebirth scene, and Kenzaki's actor, although voicing the Blade that faces Decade, has no lines, only grunts, and Blade doesn't use King form again - basically attempting to minimize the parts of the finale that go against Shirakura's idea of how the series should have gone.

Edit:

Here's a translation... of translation of Shirakura's original quote, from a Brazilian blog:

http://universo-otaku.blogspot.com.br/2010/01/tentando-compreender-kamen-rider-decade.html

Shinichirô Shirakura, Decade's producer, in an interview with the magazine Toei Hero Max Special W Cross DECADE said this about the Wataru from the first episode of Decade:

In the first episode, there's a Wataru, who we usually call "Seto Wataru" and he begins to explain the situation of the world. There, the Wataru that Seto (Kôji) plays isn't the character “Kurenai Wataru”, but a meta-fictional being. It's like a voice from the sky or the author's voice (laughs).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Drive 36

Krim still best Rider.
Brain

On the official site Brain's Roidmude form is greyed out, but "Noumi" isn't...I guess we'll still see the human form for comedic relief, but not Brain anymore.

I bet he'll end up like the Centipede Orphenoch from Faiz, basically a joke for the rest of the series.

Tiu Neo

On the official site Brain's Roidmude form is greyed out, but "Noumi" isn't...I guess we'll still see the human form for comedic relief, but not Brain anymore.

I bet he'll end up like the Centipede Orphenoch from Faiz, basically a joke for the rest of the series.

I would be ok with that. I like the character because he's funny, after all.

vareon

Hey, I was right about Sho Aikawa having different goals from Shirakura regarding Decade's story.

Of course, we don't know exactly what they were, but I think the big sign is Wataru in the first episode. Although he's seemingly god-like, he mentions that he's working alongside "friends" to protect Natsumi's world, and in the same episode we have Ryuki's cameo, watching Natsumi. So, he seems to be a character and part of the narrative.

However, according to an interview given by Shirakura during the series, Decade's Wataru wasn't mean to be an actual character, but just a "narrator" or "voice in the sky". That's also probably why Movie Wars 2010 ended up very different from where the original cliff hanger seemed to be going. Yonemura in the final arc seemed to be using Kenzaki and Wataru as actual characters too, which contradicts Shirakura's goal. It's likely why Wataru's only scene in the movie is giving exposition for the multiverse rebirth scene, and Kenzaki's actor, although voicing the Blade that faces Decade, has no lines, only grunts, and Blade doesn't use King form again - basically attempting to minimize the parts of the finale that go against Shirakura's idea of how the series should have gone.

Edit:

Here's a translation... of translation of Shirakura's original quote, from a Brazilian blog:

http://universo-otaku.blogspot.com.br/2010/01/tentando-compreender-kamen-rider-decade.html

Shinichirô Shirakura, Decade's producer, in an interview with the magazine Toei Hero Max Special W Cross DECADE said this about the Wataru from the first episode of Decade:

Shirakura is probably the one pushing Showa-era Riders in the storyline, no? It was pretty apparent that Dai Shocker were never meant to be in the series, Narutaki was actually someone important, and so on. I can never know why a series could've gone so wrong.

NeonZ

When was the last time a senti team got a Zoid refresh? New Zoids for everyone

Curiously, I just saw that
the Ninninger are getting actual new vehicle/robots for everyone, including Starninger that then combine into a new robot.

Shirakura is probably the one pushing Showa-era Riders in the storyline, no? It was pretty apparent that Dai Shocker were never meant to be in the series, Narutaki was actually someone important, and so on. I can never know why a series could've gone so wrong.

The odd thing with Narutaki is that in Aikawa's final episodes themselves he's sidelined. He's shown fearing Diend in Faiz and then gets easily beaten, and then doesn't do anything in the Agito World.

Regarding the Showa Riders, I can't see Aikawa leaving due to that. When he got to write the Wizard special, he threw in Showa references (Cross of Fire, one of Rider's original concepts, alongside the speech about fighting for freedom) in spite of it being a Heisei special. In that same interview he also talks about how he pushed to add Showa-like elements after taking over Blade. It'd be kind of odd if adding Showa Riders would make him leave considering all that.

javadoze

Behold, the new new Ninninger mech upgrade...

CJRwUwvUEAAZDql.jpg

...in sketch form!

To be more precise,
the 4th quarter toy catalog has shown off a team-wide refresh of mechs (including StarNinger) that are probably going to be the final mech upgrade (not counting when it's sitting inside a bigger mech as rumored before).
The scans are out there if anyone's interested.

BatDan

It will be cool to see Shurikenjin and the new mech fighting side by side in the endgame.

By the way, the Legacy Thunder Megazord looks smexy as hell. Now they need to release Legacy Shogun Megazord.

Vargas

It will be cool to see Shurikenjin and the new mech fighting side by side in the endgame.

By the way, the Legacy Thunder Megazord looks smexy as hell. Now they need to release Legacy Shogun Megazord.

Probably after Ninja Zord, we will likely get Falconzord before that.

Delio

I hope this leads to a Legacy Super Zeo Megazord in the future. >_>

Watch Da Birdie

Apparently in that interview Aikawa mentions he saw the rumor about him writing Ghost on an English fansite...

Wonder if he saw my post when I brought it up (after I read it on /m/). 0.o

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

CJRwUwvUEAAZDql.jpg

...in sketch form!

To be more precise,
the 4th quarter toy catalog has shown off a team-wide refresh of mechs (including StarNinger) that are probably going to be the final mech upgrade (not counting when it's sitting inside a bigger mech as rumored before).

is that the same person who did the kyoryu mech upgrades?

Mr-Joker

Banned

CJRwUwvUEAAZDql.jpg

...in sketch form!

To be more precise,

I like the Dragon and Panda.

Apparently in that interview Aikawa mentions he saw the rumor about him writing Ghost on an English fansite...

Wonder if he saw my post when I brought it up (after I read it on /m/). 0.o

That actually got me thinking, do the production team for the show are aware that they have a fan base outside of Japan?

I wonder what they think of us?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That actually got me thinking, do the production team for the show are aware that they have a fan base outside of Japan?

According to that interview TokuNation (I think it was them) did with Robert Baldwin (KyoryuCyan)? Not really.

I mean, the higher-ups at Toei/Bandai surely know, but the people involved in the production of the shows largely have no idea.

Watch Da Birdie

My apologies to Tsurutaro Kataoka.

The majority of NeoGAF will forever associate your image with my posts.

yami4ct

I like the idea of Power Rangers doing their own upgrade suits, but the Dino Drive stuff feels like someone looked at the Kyoryuger armor and thought "what's the easiest way to ruin this design?" Taking the silver off the helmets really screws up their shape and the extra clutter on the chest looks cheap and unnecessary. Ideal would've been to give everyone a Carnival style form, but I suspect Saban is too cheap to do that.

Legacy Thunderzords look sexy as hell. Still not the figures I enjoy the most, but they really killed it with that update. At this rate, perhaps their is some small hope they get to the Turbo, In Space, and Lightspeed Rescue Megawords that are my personal favorites.

WarRock

CJRwUwvUEAAZDql.jpg

...in sketch form!

To be more precise,
I love this artist.

Parallax

if those knuckle spikes dont add explosive power like naval mines ill be dissapointed, and i wonder if lemon is supposed to be a prototype.

so whos missing out of the gaiden series now?

javadoze

In starring roles? Bravo, Marika, Ryugen, Gridon, Kurokage, Sigurd.
I suppose a Ryugen Gaiden is the next logical step. Afterwards, I can see Bravo/Gridon getting one (seeing how Oren's army backstory has mostly been unexplored) and maybe Marika (just for an excuse for some cool fighting scenes with her actress).

WarRock

That Duke suit may be the best Gaim design yet.

Drive 36
Nira x Cancer Zodiart team up is going to happen, right? Krim x Tendo too.
Banno ex machina was the weak point of this episode but the triple Rider fight and Brain getting his deserved treatment by Medic made everything all right.

NeonZ

Did SId ever come back in these Gaim movies?

He appears in the Soccer movie in spite of it taking place after his death, so he technically "came back" there, not permanently though. And, no, he hasn't appeared in any of the post-series stuff. He was in Takatora's Gaiden though, but that takes place during the show.

Parallax

Chip Lynn says that a Go-Busters adaptation wouldn't really work as an RPM sequel

His reasoning is weird though. RPM was dark but Go-Busters was fun. Well, Go-Onger was wacky as hell and that was adapted into the post-apocalyptic tale we all love. Then again, the Buddyroids might clash a bit.

Also, an interview with RCrew brought up trains, and he feels trains wouldn't really be marketable in the West. Hmmmm

thats nonsensical. he can alter the rpm timeline anyway he wants. if they hit a new era of prosperity, and started using enetron to repair the world, that would totally fit. and since messiah is a shapeless form for most of the series. they could easily sub in venjix. especially since we know its still active in some form

BatDan

thats nonsensical. he can alter the rpm timeline anyway he wants. if they hit a new era of prosperity, and started using enetron to repair the world, that would totally fit. and since messiah is a shapeless form for most of the series. they could easily sub in venjix. especially since we know its still active in some form

That's a good direction.
Though I can also see what he said as "I have my own idea for Go-Busters, and it doesn't involve RPM". Still.. kind of weird.

Dang, Tokusatsu Network just tweeted no new announcements from Shout Factory. Ah well!

Damn... welp, I'm off to California to break Bruno's Megazords.

Kidding kidding. Still though, SDCC would have been the place to announce Dairanger.

Top Bottom