• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

yami4ct

I always enjoyed Kiva even with its flaws.

I did as well. I think it helped that it's one of my favorite riders from a design aspect. I loved both the Rider suit and enemy designs. I thought the split story was still quite an engaging mechanic even if it didn't fully pay off. Overall it was a fun ride.

I did as well. I think it helped that it's one of my favorite riders from a design aspect. I loved both the Rider suit and enemy designs. I thought the split story was still quite an engaging mechanic even if it didn't fully pay off. Overall it was a fun ride.

The thing I like about Kiva is once he got Emperor Form and Shotgun Sword, he'd jump straight to that immediately. I know it was for production reasons, but Riders not jumping straight to their most powerful form always bothered me.

The Fangire designs were amazing and my personal favorite enemy designs in Rider shows.

Slayven

The Mages' and the White Wizard's drivers were the same prop, so they had to share the same voice clips. Anyway, I can't stand the announcement voice of the Wizard Driver when it keeps spouting a bunch of nonsense. Even in the show after a while they stopped playing the full sound effect sequence, since the sounds often ended up overlapping in the beginning.

Wizard was as much of a tool for the villain as the Mages were though.
Wizard was a tool in many ways. Beast was the only real dude in the whole damn show

The Fangire designs were amazing and my personal favorite enemy designs in Rider shows.

The back story in Kiva is amazing, like how the Fangire extremated or enslaved the other races. And the Fangire's "true names"

yami4ct

The thing I like about Kiva is once he got Emperor Form and Shotgun Sword, he'd jump straight to that immediately. I know it was for production reasons, but Riders not jumping straight to their most powerful form always bothered me.

I like the way Drive has done it and has given the lower forms niche abilities, but overall I always think that's really dumb. Here's an enemy, I'm gonna use my less powerful form for a while until I get my ass kicked and then finally unleash my full power.

They are so good. I feel like the chief Roidmude designs were the first to get close. Really dig Heart/Brain/Freeze.

I like the way Drive has done it and has given the lower forms niche abilities, but overall I always think that's really dumb. Here's an enemy, I'm gonna use my less powerful form for a while until I get my ass kicked and then finally unleash my full power.

They are so good. I feel like the chief Roidmude designs were the first to get close. Really dig Heart/Brain/Freeze.
Roidmudes designs were really cool and fit in the mechanical motif in the show.

Wizard was a tool in many ways. Beast was the only real dude in the whole damn show

The back story in Kiva is amazing, like how the Fangire extremated or enslaved the other races. And the Fangire's "true names"
They really knock the back story out of the park.

Tiu Neo

Does Wataru's friend knew that Wataru is Kiva?

That was a million dollar question back then. I don't know why I'm so bothered with it.

That's a good question. I thought she sure knew, on the begining of the series, but wasn't too sure after the first few episodes.

WarRock

Just snagged this baby for $10!!!

It's clearly been opened, but otherwise, the actual Driver and rings looks like they were never used. There's not much I can do with it but having this as my first Rider item is cool.
Did you
touch your hand
with the seller?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
For once I thought the low-quality of TV-N's video worked to their advantage with Kiva, because it gave everything a creepy, low-fi horror vibe.

Still though, I'd love to see someone else resub the show.

Watch Da Birdie

I wonder if Ghost's final form won't be a history dude, but rather take the concept of eyes further?

Like Panoptes from Greek Mythos, and looking like Hiei's Jaganshi Form like covered in eyes and shit.

WarRock

... Now I remember you don't need to touch the hand to transform, right?

Shabadubi touch to henshin was a lie.
Nope, Haruto touched the hand before the dragons/elements came out (Infinity) or before the magic circle came out (other forms).

Tiu Neo

I think I'll marathon the 5 Flashman episodes today or tomorrow. The episodes are getting good near the ending.

For once I thought the low-quality of TV-N's video worked to their advantage with Kiva, because it gave everything a creepy, low-fi horror vibe.

Still though, I'd love to see someone else resub the show.

After seeing Kabuto and Kiva, I think their subs weren't that bad. It was understandable. Nowhere as bad as Shinkenger. I'm still trying to understand the Gekiranger movie. Thank gods Geki-senshi subbed the series.

(Ok, it may be a low bar to set.)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Drive 40

Poor Heart... given the appearance of Banno's petty revenge. No wonder all the Roidmudes want his head, and have a bad impression of humans.
Good to see Gou is back to normal! ... I hope.
But yeah, it's looking like Banno might be the final villain.

I always wondered why KR shows clips from an upcoming movie in the theme song, but Sentai never does.

NeonZ

Drive 40

Poor Heart... given the appearance of Banno's petty revenge. No wonder all the Roidmudes want his head, and have a bad impression of humans.
Good to see Gou is back to normal! ... I hope.
But yeah, it's looking like Banno might be the final villain.

I always wondered why KR shows clips from an upcoming movie in the theme song, but Sentai never does.

Sentai did for a while, and I think they still show Vs movie clips in the ending theme. They stopped showing SHT clips because they aren't Sentai focused anymore (or, in the case of SHTZ, not focused on the current Sentai). They don't use summer movie clips aside from some exceptions (like Kyoryuger) because they're just short features, not the main movie, so there's likely no pressure to advertise them.

Watch Da Birdie

OrangeLion Subs have been releasing Den-O at a steady weekly pace, really love watching this series again...I mean, to be honest, I love it. It's one of those shows I wasn't too keen on during a first watch, but when I finished and thought it over, I realized it was a blast. Nice to have some better quality subs, although I don't recall TV-N being that bad besides the don't translate the catchphrase deal.

I can't wait till they get to Yuuto and Deneb though...ah, back when the secondary Rider didn't pop up till around Episode 20 instead of 12.

EDIT: Although I guess technically many of the early Hesei Series more or less debuted their generally agreed upon secondary like by Episode 5...

I can't wait till they get to Yuuto and Deneb though...ah, back when the secondary Rider didn't pop up till around Episode 20 instead of 12.

EDIT: Although I guess technically many of the early Hesei Series more or less debuted their generally agreed upon secondary like by Episode 5...

We've settled into the 15-20 range at this point.

Agito: Episode 1
Ryuki: Episode 1
Faiz: Episode 11
Blade: Episode 1
Hibiki: Episode 7
Kabuto: Episode 7
Den-O: Episode 19
Kiva: Episode 9
Decade: Episode 10
W: Episode 19
OOO: Episode 16
Fourze: Episode 17
Wizard: Episode 17
Gaim: Episode 3
Drive: Episode 12

Pluto

We've settled into the 15-20 range at this point.

Agito: Episode 1
Ryuki: Episode 1
Faiz: Episode 11
Blade: Episode 1
Hibiki: Episode 7
Kabuto: Episode 7
Den-O: Episode 19
Kiva: Episode 9
Decade: Episode 10
W: Episode 19
OOO: Episode 16
Fourze: Episode 17
Wizard: Episode 17
Gaim: Episode 3
Drive: Episode 12
This list of all things just made me realize how fast time passes, I still remember when Den-O was the new rider and now there have been more Hesei riders after him than before him. I'm old :(

WillyFive

I think the actual date is more important than episode number for premiering secondary Riders.

The whole point of a second Rider is to have new belts and gear; and those always come out first thing in the year. And if you notice with the past Rider shows since W, the second Rider toyline always appears first thing once December ends.

I think the actual date is more important than episode number for premiering secondary Riders.

The whole point of a second Rider is to have new belts and gear; and those always come out first thing in the year. And if you notice with the past Rider shows since W, the second Rider toyline always appears first thing once December ends.

Yep. Usually late December, early January. With Gaim, that's the time frame the Energy Riders dropped, so the line is still unbroken.

vareon

OrangeLion Subs have been releasing Den-O at a steady weekly pace, really love watching this series again...I mean, to be honest, I love it. It's one of those shows I wasn't too keen on during a first watch, but when I finished and thought it over, I realized it was a blast. Nice to have some better quality subs, although I don't recall TV-N being that bad besides the don't translate the catchphrase deal.

What did they translate ore sanjou to?

Tiu Neo

Drive 40

That was already a pretty good episode. Then that Chase scene with the license happened, and it became great, hahaha.

The whole Heart backstory was pretty good too. And Gou is back to the old self? Nice.

Watch Da Birdie

I don't even get why they pull that excuse for "Ore, Sanjou!", I mean it seems like such a simple translation and it's so easy to keep the pun. If they wanted to keep it for stylish sake, fine, but don't lie.

Now I can understand the difficulty in doing Kintaros's nakeru puns...but Ore Sanjou never should've been an issue.

Slayven

I don't even get why they pull that excuse for "Ore, Sanjou!", I mean it seems like such a simple translation and it's so easy to keep the pun. If they wanted to keep it for stylish sake, fine, but don't lie.

Now I can understand the difficulty in doing Kintaros's nakeru puns...but Ore Sanjou never should've been an issue.

They could either translate or put in funny effects that make the text hard to read. Not both.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dino Charge is starting to air in other countries because fuck Nickelodeon. Beware spoilers.

RYUUI.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

There's literally an English saying "I can do X before breakfast!"

Drive 40

What's gonna happen to 006? We don't see his Roidmude Form in the newer scans---which is odd. Is he the host for Banno Drive?

For some reason I thought this episode was hinting he's a "Shark Roidmude" since they focused on the shark mannequins when he was talking.

Tornado's plot was dumb as shit, but I kind of liked him due to his fashion sense and wow.

yami4ct

There's literally an English saying "I can do X before breakfast!"

To be fair, TV-N are just following a long standing fansub tradition of not localizing cultural colloquialisms out of accuracy or some shit. They're also following the long standing tradition of being awful.

I'm really close friends with the entire Dan's Toku Rants cast, but I don't regularly listen to them (something that's been joked about between us for a good while now, heh). Anyway they're a bunch of good people who know their shit when it comes to toku.

http://danstokurants.rangercentral.com/

I will check them out when I have the chance.
Have you heard of the Super Sentai Bros? They're two brothers who watch Super Sentai, or at least Dairanger for the moment. I highly recommend them.
http://supersentaibros.libsyn.com/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I listen to No Pink Spandex, although they mostly deal in Power Rangers.

Funny, I'm also friends with Jeremy and Spy from NPS. :lol Known Jer for nearly 10 years now, Spy too. I've only talked to Lisa a couple times, met her earlier this year (and Jeremy too), but don't really know her too well.

Thinking about it, I'm kinda surprised I haven't ended up on one of these podcasts. They're almost entirely staffed by my best friends in the world. :lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Whoa, that's all of a sudden :/

Also a hitch-hiking robot got vandalized in Philly. I swear it's a start of a Roidmude scenario.

Top Bottom