• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

javadoze

Ninninger 22

-Fuuka accidentally uses the Chousetzu changer? Fuuka is the Last Ninja: confirmed! (Well practically everyone but Nagi can probably use it by the end of the episode.)
-I actually rather enjoy how this monster of the week's power ties in with Yakumo and Kinji's personal struggle of overcoming Takaharu.
-That bait-and-switch though...
"Nah, we'll use the Chousetzu changer another time..."
-Ha-Oh Shurikenjin is a massive tank with foot pedals and I love it.

Drive 39

-The highlight of this episode easily has to be watching Krim, a conscious belt also controlling a plastic F1 car, arguing with Banno, an iDad, while Chase is taking his driver's test.
-Come to think of it, do most Heisei riders even possess motorcycle licenses?
-The Tornado plot felt pretty filler-y, but the escalation at the end with
Banno shooting down Shin and Gou fighting Heart, Krim getting stolen by 004, and the preview
has me pretty excited for next week.

-------

In other news, Kamen Rider Ghost is going to be officially unveiled on the 31st.

The themes for the show will include "the secret to becoming a hero" and "accepting the feelings of great men". So I guess you can say Ghost is on a journey for senpai to notice him.

Tiu Neo

Drive 39

Nice, funny episode. Chase and Gou's rivalry is getting better each episode. Didn't expect shit to get so serious at the end.

...was Banno always an iPad? I think it was more stylized, generic Tablet on the begining of the series.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Linkara's Zyuranger review is next Monday. Episodes 17-22. I predict meltdowns on /m/.

He also updated his Patreon with a $6000 goal to do "History of Power Rangers-esque shows". Looking over the less successful Western Toku.
He lists Beetleborgs, VR Troopers, and Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills as examples. I imagine this would also cover Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog, Superhuman Samurai Sybersquad, Masked Rider, Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, and whatever else is out there.

WillyFive

Linkara's Zyuranger review is next Monday. Episodes 17-22. I predict meltdowns on /m/.

He also updated his Patreon with a $6000 goal to do "History of Power Rangers-esque shows". Looking over the less successful Western Toku.
He lists Beetleborgs, VR Troopers, and Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills as examples. I imagine this would also cover Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog, Superhuman Samurai Sybersquad, Masked Rider, Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, and whatever else is out there.

There needs to be someone out there that can do these better than him. Anyone. It won't be hard, just time consuming.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So....Ghost conference in a few hours, right?

hisoe3u.jpg

The writer is "Fukuda Takurou" I believe.

Watch Da Birdie

He also wrote for Ultraman Max and Ultraseven X.

Pretty excited seeing that we're getting another fresh face for rider.

He also wrote a show called "Tales of Night-Prowling Ghosts"

Are you aware of the existence of ghosts or spirits everywhere and in all seasons? Or that there are some people who are born with the supernatural power to see them? In being able to see ghosts, they seem to attract ghosts to themselves. Ghosts are to be feared, and yet they can be so stunningly beautiful. Even though they are invisible to the average human eye, they have an influence over people’s lives. The main character, Ritsu Iijima(Yoshihiko Hosoda), has the gift to “see things.” Ghost after ghost come to him, and they try to lay curses on him or play tricks on him, but he is not easily frightened or surprised by them. To Ritsu, the existence of ghosts in this world is normal. Even today, strange things are happening in the lives of Ritsu and his family…

So, he's worked with ghosts before...

Now that we have catalog pics, soul owners and orders seem to be:

Ghost

• Newton
  • Musashi
  • Edison
  • Robin
  • Beethoven
  • Billy the Kid
  • Benkei

Spectre

• Tutankhamun
  • Nobunaga

That takes us up to December. Beethoven looks like a mid-grade, so we might be on that Wizard tip (The Dragon Forms appeared earlier than Drive's Dead Heat or Gaim's Jimber).

Slayven

Ghost

• Newton
  • Musashi
  • Edison
  • Robin
  • Beethoven
  • Billy the Kid
  • Benkei

Spectre

• Tutankhamun
  • Nobunaga

That takes us up to December. Beethoven looks like a mid-grade, so we might be on that Wizard tip (The Dragon Forms appeared earlier than Drive's Dead Heat or Gaim's Jimber).

So Spectrre's theme is king/conquers? Better have a Hannibal mode

Watch Da Birdie

Also two for Movie Wars, I think one is Ghost and one is Spectre...

Wonder if we'll see Spectre at the conference, even though he was still silhouetted in the catalog?

javadoze

And we've got our Belt Voice...Junji Imagawa, according to Obari.

Also someone pointed this out in the press picture of Ghost posted above...the way the belt is designed, it always looks like it's looking at you.

So Junji Imagawa is a well-known ghost-story narrator.

...And now we have the composer announced to be Takashi Niigaki, who was famous for being a ghost composer/songwriter...

I can only imagine Toei's hiring staff...

*CTRL+F* "ghost"

"You're hired!"

EDIT: Yeah. It probably might be a joke.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So Junji Imagawa is a well-known ghost-story narrator.

...And now we have the composer announced to be Takashi Niigaki, who was famous for being a ghost composer/songwriter...

I can only imagine Toei's hiring staff...

*CTRL+F* "ghost"

"You're hired!"

I think we should all calm down for a minute and wait for the presser. I think we may be falling for Japanese Twitter jokes.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
And we've got our Belt Voice...Junji Imagawa, according to Obari.

Also someone pointed this out in the press picture of Ghost posted above...the way the belt is designed, it always looks like it's looking at you.

OF COURSE it's Junji Imagawa. He's like the voice you think when you talk about scary stories in Japan. Great casting there.

Edit: That said it seems odd considering the rhyming nature of the belt. I would think they would have gone for someone more bombastic but maybe not.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
OF COURSE it's Junji Imagawa. He's like the voice you think when you talk about scary stories in Japan. Great casting there.

Edit: That said it seems odd considering the rhyming nature of the belt. I would think they would have gone for someone more bombastic but maybe not.

I'm not sure about any of the stuff that's leaking out that's not on the Toei site. I feel like most, if not all, of it is coming from people Google Translating 2ch threads/Twitter posts and mistaking poorly translated jokes/fan-casting as actual information.

Also, Dekaranger 10 Years After trailer.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ninninger 22 was a fun episode, though it was funny how they gain Loin Ha-Oh power only to turn it down.

Looks like next week episode will be a Kasumi focus episode. <(^_^)>

Drive 39

I think that Drive is officially one of my favourite rider series, might actually sit comfortably next to W assuming they don't mess up the rest of the series.

The episode itself was fun to watch and I can't wait to watch next week one.

I just wish that I didn't have to wait till Winter to watch Drive summer movie, it looks really good.

I also just remember they kinda wasted potential by not having a Drive, G3 and W crossover now that would have been amazing.

As for Ghost itself I am not sold on the hoodie design, it looks weird on a armoured cyborg.

Though there is a chance it might grow on me.

There needs to be someone out there that can do these better than him. Anyone. It won't be hard, just time consuming.

Agreed, Linkara is a whiny nitpicker who sprouts misinform information that could have easily been avoided.

It was annoying to see him rant about Power Rangers Wild Force having Kids finger painting in the final episode and how he felt that the kids watching the show should at least past the stage in his word of "finger painting".

WarRock

Ninja Baseball
This... was good. Huh.

Drive 39
Fun episode all-around. Chase keeps being a badass.

Found interesting that the Tornado Roidmude is a lover. Someone has been reading Divine Comedy, huh.

vareon

I love it when people calls out Toei for "running out of ideas" every year when every year they always had the ballest of ideas.

Tiu Neo

Finished Kiva.

It's has it flaws. Things don't make sense, bizarre solutions and twists, a few annoying characters. But... I must say, I liked it, a lot. Most of the supporting cast was pretty good, Nago turned from the worst to one of the best characters. The three weapons were awesome.

The love triangle went fast from interesting to meh, and the series declined a bit for me up to the part that
Mio dies,
but the last 3 or so episodes were very good. The ending, with
Wataru's son coming from the future
was a nice touch.

Now, Avatar Book 2. After that, GAIM!

Slayven

I love it when people calls out Toei for "running out of ideas" every year when every year they always had the ballest of ideas.

They do come up with some interesting stuff each year.
New ideas ain't the problem, it is execution .
Finished Kiva.

It's has it flaws. Things don't make sense, bizarre solutions and twists, a few annoying characters. But... I must say, I liked it, a lot. Most of the supporting cast was pretty good, Nago turned from the worst to one of the best characters. The three weapons were awesome.

The love triangle went fast from interesting to meh, and the series declined a bit for me up to the part that
Mio dies,
was a nice touch.

I still want to know what happen to Kiva's little girlfriend. She got Kohanaed without the substitution.

Finished Kiva.

Mio dies,
was a nice touch.

I always enjoyed Kiva even with its flaws.

Tiu Neo

I always enjoyed Kiva even with its flaws.

Yes! A lot of times the story made no sense at all, but the characters really grew on me, and I think I'll miss them more than, say, Kabuto's cast. And I liked Kabuto's cast.

Maybe the fact I didn't know what to expect/wasn't expecting much helped with that too.

I still want to know what happen to Kiva's little girlfriend. She got Kohanaed without the substitution.

That was kinda weird, but I didn't really like her "change" after Mio was introduced, so I was ok with she disapearing, heh.

vareon

Does Wataru's friend knew that Wataru is Kiva?

That was a million dollar question back then. I don't know why I'm so bothered with it.

shaowebb

Ghost

• Newton
  • Musashi
  • Edison
  • Robin
  • Beethoven
  • Billy the Kid
  • Benkei

Spectre

• Tutankhamun
  • Nobunaga

Oh man I am so loving the potential of this. And wow Benkei made the list! That ones gonna get cool. Prepare for weapons. Dude fought a ton of battles, was a demonic giant of a man famous for his loyalty. He collected 999 swords in duels. He lost the 1000th duel to Yoshitsune Minamoto and became his loyal retainer...so loyal that he died fending off an army at a bridge and was famous for never falling even in death because he died standing up.

What Soul will be the "All the Powers!" Soul?

God Soul?

If they follow the normal schedule, we'll see mid-grade previews around December (Drive's Dead Heat/Gaim's Kachidoki) with the form appearing in Jan/December. Final form previews in March, with appearance in June.

The theme is great heroes. Here's a list of the top 100 Historical Persons in Japan from Nippon TV's survey in 2006. And here's the "Hero Edition". Ones that have already been taken from the second list:

3. Oda Nobunaga
13. Thomas Edison
58. Ludwig von Beethoven
95. Miyamoto Musashi
99. Isaac Newton

Spit-balling, Sakamoto Ryoma seems like a good choice for a mid-grade, with an My Hero Soul as the final.

Prime candidates for Spectre souls include Napolean, Genghis Khan, and Lie Bei.

Honestly, I'd still kill for lady Rider with Jean of Arc, Florence Nightingale, and Queen Himiko as souls.

Susano'o or Amaterasu, if they're going heavy with the Japanese folklore/mythology angle?

Amaterasu is a good choice for a Final Form.

jwk94

Just snagged this baby for $10!!!

It's clearly been opened, but otherwise, the actual Driver and rings looks like they were never used. There's not much I can do with it but having this as my first Rider item is cool.

vareon

It's clearly been opened, but otherwise, the actual Driver and rings looks like they were never used. There's not much I can do with it but having this as my first Rider item is cool.

That is an awesome grab for $10, congrats.

WillyFive

Wizard's Driver is one of the coolest ones.

NeonZ

The Mages' and the White Wizard's drivers were the same prop, so they had to share the same voice clips. Anyway, I can't stand the announcement voice of the Wizard Driver when it keeps spouting a bunch of nonsense. Even in the show after a while they stopped playing the full sound effect sequence, since the sounds often ended up overlapping in the beginning.

Didn't all the Mages end up being tools for the resident bad guy? Sourcer in the movie and the white wizard in the show?

Wizard was as much of a tool for the villain as the Mages were though.

Top Bottom