• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 23

We're almost halfway though the series and I can barely tell you thing about Nagi. They really need to stop shafting characters.
At least Kasumi continues to be the best Ninninger.
It was funny how the MotW turned them into a giant snowman.
Next time, Universal Movie Monsters!

I saw the movie clips in the intro, but it was during the second half so... yeah.

WarRock

WarRock

Drive 40
That Front Wheel x Handle Sword grind

Wonder if Chase is going to be the one that kills Medic.

Drive 40

That was already a pretty good episode. Then that Chase scene with the license happened, and it became great, hahaha.

The whole Heart backstory was pretty good too. And Gou is back to the old self? Nice.
The license moment, hahah.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I dunno the specifics of what you are saying but I've at least seen manga for Boukenger, Jetman and Gorenger. The Gorenger manga was written and illustrated by Ishinomori himself too.

It's in one of the SHT Net Movies...

Basically, the actual line talks about how the Sentai used to always have the "--Man" endings like Jetman, Dynaman, Bioman, etc., but then talks about how "---Ger" is now the common ending. TV-Nihon translated the line as talking about manga or something.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I dunno the specifics of what you are saying but I've at least seen manga for Boukenger, Jetman and Gorenger. The Gorenger manga was written and illustrated by Ishinomori himself too.

The line was how the Sentai names used to end in "Man".

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 23

Hehehe, this was a funny episode. Kasumi was awesome, even if
everything being her plan was kinda far-fetched.

Nagi was also pretty good on this one. I like the character, even if he's just there most of the time.

I also like the direction they are took with Takaharu this episode, getting less focus and being pretty much an idiot, even if he was the one with the awesome powers yet again.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ninninger 23

This episode made me chuckle as it reminded me of my family when all the boys would try and scare the girl cousins. Plus Kasumi was amazing, I could stare at her lovely brown eyes all day.

Also Ariakenokata is really fun to watch.

Drive 40

I loved Chase's driving license, made me laugh. I also liked how Drive and Mach took down tornado in their default form.

Urgh, this is why TV-Nihon's subs are garbage.

I really hope that I am not forced to use them for Ghost... actually do we know who be subbing Ghost?

Drive 40
That Front Wheel x Handle Sword grind

Wonder if Chase is going to be the one that kills Medic.

Here's how I see it going down.

Shinnosuke will take down Heart
Gou will take down Banno
Chase will take down Brain
Kiriko will take down Medic

Tiu Neo

Finished Flashman.

It's old, and it shows. A lot of modern sentai tropes are missing, the effects are bad, and the villains and plot points are a bit repetitive, sometimes.

But the fights are awesome, and since they couldn't depend on CG for a lot of things, they had to get creative with what they got. I appreciate that.

And then, we have the story. The characters were a bit silly, even childish at the beginning, but grew a bit as the series goes on. The ending... well, I'll try to not spoil anything, but the last 10 or so episodes are tense and full of great moments, culminating on one of my favorite endings in the Super Sentai series. Really bittersweet.

I remember wanting a sequel back then, and I have the same feeling right now. I feel kinda empty. :(

...Can we get a Flashman 30 Years After next year, Toei? :(

Boss Doggie

They're really making it hard for me not to swallow Kasumi as Last Ninja.

Finished Flashman.

It's old, and it shows. A lot of modern sentai tropes are missing, the effects are bad, and the villains and plot points are a bit repetitive, sometimes.

But the fights are awesome, and since they couldn't depend on CG for a lot of things, they had to get creative with what they got. I appreciate that.

And then, we have the story. The characters were a bit silly, even childish at the beginning, but grew a bit as the series goes on. The ending... well, I'll try to not spoil anything, but the last 10 or so episodes are tense and full of great moments, culminating on one of my favorite endings in the Super Sentai series. Really bittersweet.

I remember wanting a sequel back then, and I have the same feeling right now. I feel kinda empty. :(

...Can we get a Flashman 30 Years After next year, Toei? :(

Wasn't the ending bittersweet? Like
they can't return to their home planet anymore?

Tiu Neo

They're really making it hard for me not to swallow Kasumi as Last Ninja.

Wasn't the ending bittersweet? Like
they can't return to their home planet anymore?

Yes, it was, I said so on my post. I remember getting very sad at this ending when I was a kid.

But they also said that maaaybe with Flash planet technology
they could overcome that, find a cure, and come back one day.

Never happened, but eh. At least made sense that Basco had their Greater Power on Gokaiger, since he
could go to the Flash Planet to take them by force. Of course, the fact that they were at the Legend Battle shows that either they overcame the anti-flash phenomenon, can go back to earth every few years, or that the Legend Battle took some liberties, since Black Condor was there too. It is the last one, but I want to think it's the former.

NeonZ

It has Flashman back on action, so it's canon in my heart.

(Super Hero Taisen Z too.)

Well, most Vs Movies acknowledge previous Vs Movies anyway, so it's canon in that sense. If they made a "Flashman 30 years after" though, they'd probably ignore the crossovers, considering both Hurricanger and now Dekaranger 10 Years After ignored what was introduced by them (like Shurikenger being alive and now Ban having returned to Earth).

Tiu Neo

Well, most Vs Movies acknowledge previous Vs Movies anyway, so it's canon in that sense. If they made a "Flashman 30 years after" though, they'd probably ignore the crossovers, considering both Hurricanger and now Dekaranger 10 Years After ignored what was introduced by them (like Shurikenger being alive and now Ban having returned to Earth).

It was a joke :p I know Gokaiger/SHT is pretty inconsistent with the series, like how a character could be alive on the Legend Battle but dead on the series and so on. Since they'll never do that, Gokaiger and SHT Z will always be canon in my heart, haha.

So, now to decide what to watch. I was thinking of watching Boukenger and Go-Busters now, are those any good? Go-Busters always intrigued me, and the adventure theme of Boukenger looks like something I'll like.

Another candidate was Dairanger, but since the last few sentai I watched were older, I thought it would be a good idea to choose a few newer ones for variety.

NeonZ

It was a joke :p I know Gokaiger/SHT is pretty inconsistent with the series, like how a character could be alive on the Legend Battle but dead on the series and so on. Since they'll never do that, Gokaiger and SHT Z will always be canon in my heart, haha.

The dead characters are actually excused as coming back temporarily for the Legend War, like Black Condor does during Gokaiger itself. The issue is more like the reverse, the standalone shows ignore the crossover stuff.

This generally isn't a big problem since the Vs movies come at the end of the show, but it becomes obvious with these "10 Years After" movies, like how in Hurricanger, Shurikenger stayed dead, rather than reappearing alive like in the crossovers. In the upcoming Dekaranger 10 Years After, Ban hasn't worked with his team ever since he went to the Fire Squad, and they're actually using the uniform and license shown in the last episode, rather than ignoring the final scene and reusing the tv show material like all the crossovers did.

javadoze

Frosty Sentai Ninninger 23

-Yay, a Nagi focus episode (and when I mean that, I mean a Kasumi focus episode in disguise).
-Joking aside, it's kinda funny that they're now addressing how lame Nagi is compared to the rest of the team (guy can't even use the Chousetzu Changer).
-The hallucination ninpo seems like something straight out of Kakuranger.

Kamen Rider Drive 40

-It's looking more and more that Banno will be the final villain of the show and I approve. Heart and the roidmudes aren't quite compelling main villains, but when thought of as another faction of sorts, they seem more interesting. I'm interested to see if they form a temporary alliance with the Drive crew against Banno or continue along with attaining the promised number.
-The final battle is really going to be two belts mashing against each other, isn't it?
-Chase and his driver's license is the best gag.
-Gou's actually likable in this episode. I just wish they didn't pad out the whole "I hate roidmudes" and "I must keep my iDad a secret" plot beats for as long as they did.

Jakten

It's in one of the SHT Net Movies...

Basically, the actual line talks about how the Sentai used to always have the "--Man" endings like Jetman, Dynaman, Bioman, etc., but then talks about how "---Ger" is now the common ending. TV-Nihon translated the line as talking about manga or something.

pff yeah ok that's pretty ridiculous.

Zynx

Frosty Sentai Ninninger 23
Kamen Rider Drive 40

-It's looking more and more that Banno will be the final villain of the show and I approve. Heart and the roidmudes aren't quite compelling main villains, but when thought of as another faction of sorts, they seem more interesting. I'm interested to see if they form a temporary alliance with the Drive crew against Banno or continue along with attaining the promised number.
-The final battle is really going to be two belts mashing against each other, isn't it?
Different prediction. Roidmules and Rider crew team up against Banno, RIP Banno. But Heart's still around. Final fight!

BatDan

Great news! It looks Dino Charge has been bumped up a week. It will now premiere August 22nd.
I have to wonder if this is to beat some of the European countries.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
damn, kuuga is 90s as fuck.

why the hell is onodera liked when hes clearly inferior to godai da gawd?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Who likes Onodera?

people used to call godai a simple character. which honestly i wish more characters had his traits. dude instantly gets back on the horse when he gets tossed

but onodera literally isnt shit in comparison

Kuuga is amazing that what they did to him in Decade is a travesty.

Yeah I don't think I heard people like MORE FEAR MORE PAIN NO HENSHIN KAMEN RIDER KUUGA

that second verse is grating

vareon

Kuuga is that guy who hit a monster with his motorcycle, dragged it all the way to the sea and kicked it to smithereens.

Though Wizard did kick a guy to the sun...

Boss Doggie

It's really disgusting that Decade's Kuuga was supposed to be a tribute to the original Kuuga... and then they handled him like that.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The horrible misuse of Onodera can be summed up by that one scene in the Dark Riders World where the ladies he's eating with turn into Raydragoons and instead of transforming and taking them out LIKE A KAMEN RIDER WOULD DO, he just runs away like a huge babby.

Poor Onodera.

NeonZ

I really get the impression that Onodera was an idea from Shirakura, but several of the writers really didn't want to use him as a replacement Kuuga. He only transforms once post-Kuuga arc while Sho Aikawa remains the main writer, and, after he leaves, although he starts transforming more often, he also doesn't transform any time during the Inoue episodes (Nega and Diend Worlds).

ReiGun

Kuuga is amazing that what they did to him in Decade is a travesty.

Yeah I don't think I heard people like MORE FEAR MORE PAIN NO HENSHIN KAMEN RIDER KUUGA

Bruh lmaoooo

It was like the writers just flat out forgot Onodera was a Kamen Rider. So many situations could have been solved by him just transforming.

BatDan

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000099092/

Bandai is releasing a new set of ranger keys centered around one-shot/obscure heroes.

Huh... I was hoping ToQger and Ninninger (maybe sometime soon).
Let's see...
Looks like DekaBright
HurricaneDark
The Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters (except for Pink Cat)
X1 Mask
DekaGold
And a secret Goseiger key. It's very likely GoseiGreen (and hey we finally get to see what his animal was)

jwk94

I had pushed Yuseless out of my mind. Thanks for reminding me about him, GAF. Dude should have gotten his Rider powers taken after the Kuuga world if they weren't gonna have him transform. I get that they didn't want to take the spotlight away from Decade and whatever Rider of the day but my god Yuusuke not transforming when he could have helped made no sense in the actual show.

Top Bottom