• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So I think this weekend we should find out casting stuff about Ghost, right?

I've seen rumors flying around about who's playing who, but I don't believe it...the only actor leak I remember for Gaim and Drive was finding out the comedian who played Paint Roidmude.

alvmew

is the mobirates programmed for them?

Assuming that they have been made to be read as belonging to the teams that they are from show-wise, then yes (i.e., if the HurricaneDark key is basically just a HurricaneRed key then it'll call it Hurricanger when used, but remember that for that show's keys, the Gouraigers and Shurikenger called out different things so who knows how they are classifying it). I know that the Kyoryuger keys don't call out anything in either Mobirates (since the normal one goes up to Gokaiger, and the legend one goes up to Go-Busters), so they made little canister things for them to call out their team name.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Was walking at a toy section and saw Super Mega Force toys, so they made original "helper zords" like the Zeo car?

jwk94

Sofia the First really is Disney's Gokaiger. Jasmine just popped up to help the girls and the last episode I saw had Mulan. The voice for Jasmine is bad though.

LostAnkh

Was walking at a toy section and saw Super Mega Force toys, so they made original "helper zords" like the Zeo car?
I think that was the only original zord they made (aside from the armor zords, whatever they're called), which is a bummer, considering it would've been great to have more of them.

Watch Da Birdie

So, the tagline for Movie Wars 2015 is "The Passionate Rider and the Sorrowful Rider. Open your [Eye]," or something along those lines.

I really, really hope Ghost isn't a mopey, angsty dude...I want him to be dead and loving it.

Boss Doggie

I think that was the only original zord they made (aside from the armor zords, whatever they're called), which is a bummer, considering it would've been great to have more of them.

Ah that's lame.

Sofia the First really is Disney's Gokaiger. Jasmine just popped up to help the girls and the last episode I saw had Mulan. The voice for Jasmine is bad though.

I thought Sofia is Decade

Slayven

But Prince of Sadness riders are the best

Japan-font-b-Kamen-b-font-Masked-font-b-Rider-b-font-font-b-Black-b.jpg

NeonZ

He was the Prince of kicking ass

More like the prince of jobbing. Later episodes pretty much ignore that it's supposed to have super armor, heat resistance and his pistol is supposed to be a finisher, making the Robo Rider form worthless. It's even odder too because BioRider continues to be useful up to the final arc (although they forget that it has a finisher too).

Slayven

More like the prince of jobbing. Later episodes pretty much ignore that it's supposed to have super armor, heat resistance and his pistol is supposed to be a finisher, making the Robo Rider form worthless. It's even odder too because BioRider continues to be useful up to the final arc (although they forget that it has a finisher too).

Well Wizard forgets he is a hero in his own finale until the last few minutes

Watch Da Birdie

So, there's this program in Japan where you can call and talk to Kamen Rider Drive, but as of today, at one part static interrupts it and Kamen Rider Ghost actually pops in with a message:

"Quiet, quiet. I’m sorry for interrupting your call with Drive but this needs to be kept a secret from him. My name is… No, it’s a bit early for you to know my name. You can call me Ghost, Kamen Rider Ghost. I transform using the mysterious item called an Eyecon. […] Keep Kamen Rider Ghost is a secret!"

Someone ripped it, not sure if I can link the download link here though. He sounds really, really young.

People are saying, based on the voice, he's probably 17-year old Shun Nishime who you can hear talk at the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjYdgW9pXvg

SPOOKY~

Boss Doggie

Is it like those "call to number and hear a pre-recorded line of celebrity who talks slowly to increase your bills" shtick America had in 80's?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Is it like those "call to number and hear a pre-recorded line of celebrity who talks slowly to increase your bills" shtick America had in 80's?

No the number is toll free. You register your name what your kid likes and what he likes to do at school and stuff online then you call this number and Kamen Rider wishes your kid a happy birthday and tells him to do his or her best at X. It's pretty cool, my son got a kick out of it last year.

Tiu Neo

Started watching Go-Busters and Boukenger. I'm on ep. 5 of each, so here are my first impressions:

Boukenger's way of paying homage to past sentai is very interesting. Lot's of differents villains/factions representing different villains from Sentai, and the main characters are pretty much cliches of past members. I like the whole ADVENTURE theme, it's very cool. Not really liking the two girls on the team, but that can change. I like the Ninja villain girl, and hope we see more of the oldschool-style cultist villain.

Go-Busters... I didn't really feel it at the first episode, but I've been warming up to it since then. Blue is cool. My favorite of the three, but I still don't understand my he acts like an old man all the time. He isn't even 30, is he? Hiromu has a silly weak point, but I like the character. Yoko... I don't really hate her, but I also don't like her too much. Maybe she'll grow on me too?

I like the way Go-Busters treat giant battles. The suits are very good and fresh. The setting is pretty cool. I like how different it tries to do some things, wish it was more successful.

Watch Da Birdie

I loved Go-Busters, but it did horrible merchandise wise with Japanese kids thus I actually retroactively hate it. Sorry.

In all seriousness, don't be scared away by the "retool!" cries in the second half, there's enough good there to not give up hope like with Hibiki.

LostAnkh

Started watching Go-Busters and Boukenger. I'm on ep. 5 of each, so here are my first impressions:

Boukenger's way of paying homage to past sentai is very interesting. Lot's of differents villains/factions representing different villains from Sentai, and the main characters are pretty much cliches of past members. I like the whole ADVENTURE theme, it's very cool. Not really liking the two girls on the team, but that can change. I like the Ninja villain girl, and hope we see more of the oldschool-style cultist villain.

Go-Busters... I didn't really feel it at the first episode, but I've been warming up to it since then. Blue is cool. My favorite of the three, but I still don't understand my he acts like an old man all the time. He isn't even 30, is he? Hiromu has a silly weak point, but I like the character. Yoko... I don't really hate her, but I also don't like her too much. Maybe she'll grow on me too?

I like the way Go-Busters treat giant battles. The suits are very good and fresh. The setting is pretty cool. I like how different it tries to do some things, wish it was more successful.
I love Boukenger, since it's the first legitimate Tokusatsu I saw.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Ryuuji is the best gobuster.

vareon

Ryuuji was forced to act older than he is because he has to take care of Yoko and Hiromu, iirc.

WillyFive

I loved Go-Busters, but it did horrible merchandise wise with Japanese kids thus I actually retroactively hate it. Sorry.

In all seriousness, don't be scared away by the "retool!" cries in the second half, there's enough good there to not give up hope like with Hibiki.

I forgot all about that retool. It was so weird seeing pretty much every storyline wrap up halfway through the show, and then starting off with some new card thing in the second half. But by the end of the show, they did a off job of bringing it back to how it was before the retool, if only for 2-3 episodes.

Tiu Neo

Boukenger had such great music.

Yes, it has!

I can't get the ending theme out of my head right now. The opening is also one of my favorites.

Ryuuji was forced to act older than he is because he has to take care of Yoko and Hiromu, iirc.

Hm, yeah, this makes sense.

Oh, yes, some more interesting things about Go-Busters: I like how the dynamic of ground team vs the monster and Hiromu vs the Megazord works. Episode 5 and they have not gattai'd even once. This will probably change now after episode 6, but it was at least a bit better than monster attacks -> destroy the monster -> turns into giant -> destroy the giant.

And, not sure how, I forgot about Enter. Great villain, I hope they don't change him too much on the "retool".

alvmew

Ryuuji is 28 - he's probably my favorite Go-Buster not counting J. Like vareon said, he tries really hard to be an adult because the incident forced him to "grow up" so that he could be a good role model for the other two (well, Yoko mainly).

I agree that I wish it had been more successful - its my favorite Sentai by far.

I forgot all about that retool. It was so weird seeing pretty much every storyline wrap up halfway through the show, and then starting off with some new card thing in the second half. But by the end of the show, they did a off job of bringing it back to how it was before the retool, if only for 2-3 episodes.

Agreed re the "retool". It definitely feels like a bit of a different show by the second half, but all of the good things re the action/mecha fights are still there straight through to the end. I would say if anything it kind of pulled a Goseiger - whereas Gosei had different villain factions throughout the whole show, Go-Busters keeps the same, but the battle kind of changes, so to speak. I liked it.

Yes, it has!

I can't get the ending theme out of my head right now. The opening is also one of my favorites.

Hm, yeah, this makes sense.

Oh, yes, some more interesting things about Go-Busters: I like how the dynamic of ground team vs the monster and Hiromu vs the Megazord works. Episode 5 and they have not gattai'd even once. This will probably change now after episode 6, but it was at least a bit better than monster attacks -> destroy the monster -> turns into giant -> destroy the giant.

And, not sure how, I forgot about Enter. Great villain, I hope they don't change him too much on the "retool".

They will start doing combined robots a lot more, but surprisingly the individual mecha still get much more usage than they would in any other Sentai show throughout the whole show.

Enter gets better from the "retool", imo.

Enter just keeps getting better.

And the best Buster is J, c'mon.

"I'm talking with Banana as we speak." - best line of the whole show. Bar none.

WarRock

Drive 41
Chase is now officially more amusing than Chief. One thing that has been bothering me is... there were NO repercussions about the Secretary of Defense being a Roidmude.
No new police structure, no government action... c'mon.

Oh, and Miu!

Outside Drive, watching both Medic fight scenes in this episode convinced me that, more than swords for the Riders, they need to stop giving random giant tentacles to every monster. It just an excuse to not do choreography at this point, random CG flailing, the exact same modus operandi (grab Rider, smash him in the ground, throw him away) every time...

Tiu Neo

Drive 41

Gen x
Chief
OTP. I'm glad that Brain is back, too.

We'll never see 006
's true form, will we?

Tiu Neo

Btw, the movie previews are really spoilery, aren't they? Is it me, or does the ending previews imply that
Kiriko is Eiji's mother? At least his image/projection/ghost is coming out of her, when he transforms into Dark Drive.
If that's true,
her brother, her father, her future husband AND her future son are Kamen Riders. But she isn't. :(

Watch Da Birdie

Have really no good source on this, but I saw someone mention that Ghost has been surprisingly low on on-set shots---some have speculated apparently this might be because there are a lot of scenes shot in studios rather than on location for perhaps more night-scenes.

NeonZ

I think the premise mentioned that he'd need to travel after the Eyecons, so that might be why there isn't much on-location shooting, since they'll be mostly using studio sets to simulate various places around the world, at least for this initial arc.

Boss Doggie

The retool never bothered me. In fact it was needed to prevent the writer's usual "nothing happens in middle of Sentai" to actually substantial to happen.

Btw, the movie previews are really spoilery, aren't they? Is it me, or does the ending previews imply that
Kiriko is Eiji's mother? At least his image/projection/ghost is coming out of her, when he transforms into Dark Drive.
If that's true,
her brother, her father, her future husband AND her future son are Kamen Riders. But she isn't. :(

Wait, Eiji
is his own terminator
?

Top Bottom