• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I used to like Linkara (I think I felt for him since I have the same speech impediment, although it's gotten much better), but I checked out some videos since I've gotten into comics now and, man, dude just really seems to accentuate the negatives to the point of ridiculousness.

Also I saw the Lightbringer stuff...

Pretty sure he sees LIghtbringer as a major old shame. He doesn't even link it on his site.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I totally forgot about Star's flashback with the werewolf...just realized that connection.

Also, I really am warming up to Ninninger. This episode was pretty filler-y to be honest despite the new generals (who...might just be hyped mooks?), but it seems the characters are getting on-track and developing like Nagi actually doing shit, and the US/UK combination.

javadoze

I totally forgot about Star's flashback with the werewolf...just realized that connection.

Also, I really am warming up to Ninninger. This episode was pretty filler-y to be honest despite the new generals (who...might just be hyped mooks?), but it seems the characters are getting on-track and developing like Nagi actually doing shit, and the US/UK combination.

Yeah, I take it that the Western Yokai are more like hyped mooks, kinda like the Extinctioners from Kyoryuger (minus the Sun Vulcan references).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I would say nin nin is mid tiers, has some highs, unlike toq which was basically all lows with some occasional mids.

I would take it out of the low tier for the mech fights alone.

Tiu Neo

Mid tier for me too, with the mecha fights being high to god tier moments.

It has it's faults, but it's not boring. Some parts were annoying, sometimes, but that's happening less and less, imo.

The characters are... mostly ok? I like Nagi, Yakumo is ok, Kasumi is pretty good, if a bit annoying with the know-it-all thing sometimes. Takaharu is actually not bad when he's just being an idiot on the background, annoying otherwise. Star is funny, Fuuka was pretty good at the first few episodes but is getting worse bit by bit, imo.

jwk94

WTF Happened to HOPR's production values? What is this? What happened to full screen videos and no logo staring at me?

CMXmoRDWUAAY3-o.png:large

BatDan

WTF Happened to HOPR's production values? What is this? What happened to full screen videos and no logo staring at me?

That's the YouTube version. Because YouTube is total garbage when it comes to copyright, he has to shrink the video to avoid detection by the bots.
When Screenwave (the video provider on his site) gets fixed, he'll post them on there in full detail.
Man, it's been so long since YouTube wasn't like this.

jwk94

That's the YouTube version. Because YouTube is total garbage when it comes to copyright, he has to shrink the video to avoid detection by the bots.
When Screenwave (the video provider on his site) gets fixed, he'll post them on there in full detail.
Man, it's been so long since YouTube wasn't like this.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I wish he posted that in the post somewhere. I would've waited to watch it.

NeonZ

The producers of Ultraman do know they can update the monster designs right?

Ultraman is one of the rare Japanese franchises that actually markets the monsters/antagonists very strongly, that often results in monsters being reused and keeping the same designs from before. When they want to make an "updated" design, they generally make it a variation of some kind, adding to their overall monster line up, rather than outright replacing the previous one. But, yes, that means that they keep throwing old monster designs in current productions.

BatDan

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I wish he posted that in the post somewhere. I would've waited to watch it.

He did, on his site.

NOTE: Screenwave is currently having some technical difficulties with uploads. When the uploads are repaired, the embeds will be replaced and the youtube links placed here.

javadoze

Ninninger is probably mid tier for me. The fights and the weekly episodic plots are all pretty entertaining, but the overall plot and the villain generals are kinda lacking.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I don't get why Linkara just flat out refuses to do any research when it comes to the Sentai counterpart of Power Ranger, especially since he mentioned that Samurai was more or less a straight translation of the Sentai version so watching both would have made sense since he could see where the series biggest flaws comes from.

WillyFive

I don't get why Linkara just flat out refuses to do any research when it comes to the Sentai counterpart of Power Ranger, especially since he mentioned that Samurai was more or less a straight translation of the Sentai version so watching both would have made sense since he could see where the series biggest flaws comes from.

Yeah, it just gets tiring having him constantly mention the Sentai while also adding the disclaimer that he doesn't care or watch about the Sentai. Why even do it then? It just opens up the video to seem incomplete and his analysis to be skewed. He clearly goes to great lengths to find story and plot points embedded deep in the series; but fails to take the effort to find where those plot points and be able to analyse whether they successfully work in the new show or if it was a misguided attempt.

Especially for Shinkenger, where he constantly mentioned parts of the show that felt weird and nonsensical and blamed it on the translation; without going into why those parts of the show didn't work and what they were missing, because he really didn't know what the actual choices were.

Slayven

One of the main reason i can't sit through them. If you don't give a fuck about the whole picture why even do it?

I think a good series going in depth about everything could be amazing.

Watch Da Birdie

You guys should feel sorry for Linkara. He'll never, ever get to experience any of the great stuff from Go-Busters.

Ninninger is probably mid tier for me. The fights and the weekly episodic plots are all pretty entertaining, but the overall plot and the villain generals are kinda lacking.

You know I got bored of ToQ pretty fast, but from what I saw it had an interesting set-up with the villains and such...

Ninninger, on the other hand, really doesn't.

First, there's Kyuemon. She (or he---apparently Megumi Han said on Twitter that the character's gender is unconfirmed, and I actually think Kyuemon's meant to be a guy because the voice is deep and the body looks fairly masculine) is pretty much just the requisite "Monster Overseer", and while there's hints she'll be more important later on since she's a former student of Igasaki, they really, really haven't been focusing on that enough to keep my interest. She's likely gonna play a big role in the end game, but they need to give her more development now!

Gabi Raizo was cool (just realized he was Zanki/Jiro), but dude got offed fast as fuck and his death really didn't change anything at all---and I can't think of any reason to bring him back really.

Tsugomori is like Medic, basically. He popped up, showed off his strength through that Fusion Yokai Nue, and then basically was shoved aside and hasn't done shit since then. He seemed like he was gonna be the calculating backstabber that might have his own agenda, but we haven't seen that.

Ariake is really funny and an enjoyable character, but that's it.

The Western Yokai Generals gave me hope, but they're probably just going to die in one episode---bar Werewolf who might get two since he apparently factors into Kin's story.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I would say nin nin is mid tiers, has some highs, unlike toq which was basically all lows with some occasional mids.

I would take it out of the low tier for the mech fights alone.

Eh I dunno, I feel like both are in equal low tiers for me. Nothing in ToQ gets me outside of Yellow and Pink (much like Nin) but their sixth ranger is much better than Gold. ToQ villains feel much better though. I agree Nin's mech is better though, but I miss GB tier action.

vareon

I have to agree, Ninninger right now feels....insignificant? I think they really need better villains. Villains were the best part of ToQger to me and there's nothing like that in Ninnin.

BatDan

Not a fan of how slowly they introduced Ninninger's villains. They should have had all the generals appear from the start, give them more time to develop and showcase plans. Gabi could have had plans involving brute force, Tsugomori could have strategic plans, and Ariake no Kata could have plans involving vanity and wealth.
Then Gengetsu himself shows up in the third act.
Ninninger is saved by its great action, both on ground and in mechs.

On an unrelated note, was there any truth to Saban adapting the Shinkenger/Decade crossover for Power Rangers Samurai? Or was that all speculation?

NeonZ

On an unrelated note, was there any truth to Saban adapting the Shinkenger/Decade crossover for Power Rangers Samurai? Or was that all speculation?

Speculation based on some alleged "insider" who claimed that they had bought the footage for the crossovers. His information has been proven to be wrong many times in the next couple of years regarding Megaforce, so it was probably a complete lie.

BatDan

Speculation based on some alleged "insider" who claimed that they had bought the footage for the crossovers. His information has been proven to be wrong many times in the next couple of years regarding Megaforce, so it was probably a complete lie.

That makes a lot of sense now.

Man, Bandai & Toei have a golden opportunity right now to bring over Kamen Rider, with superheroes being bigger than ever, and they're wasting it.

javadoze

It strikes me as weird that Kamen Rider hasn't been brought over in a big way (especially considering its gangbusters toy sales compared to SuperSentai/PR).

BatDan

Oh yeah what ever happened to Power Rider

The copyright lapsed, they just sat on it and nothing came of it.

It strikes me as weird that Kamen Rider hasn't been brought over in a big way (especially considering its gangbusters toy sales compared to SuperSentai/PR).

It's possible Toei doesn't want to hand the rights to just anyone. They handed Ryuki over to some small no-name company and it completely bombed.
They want someone like Saban with billions of dollars and lots of marketing reach.
Though I think what Toei needs to do is go to those companies, not let the companies come to them.

Pluto

Well, they tried two times with Masked Rider and Kamen Rider Dragon Knight and it failed both times, so it's not surprising they're hesitating to try a third time.

BatDan

Well, they tried two times with Masked Rider and Kamen Rider Dragon Knight and it failed both times, so it's not surprising they're hesitating to try a third time.

Does anyone have any stats on how Saban's Masked Rider did?
I feel the show didn't get a second season not because of poor ratings and toy sales, but lack of usable footage. Plus, using the "Masked Rider Warriors" kind of made it difficult to use older footage.

Then again, if VR Troopers can use Shaider footage for Season 2 after using the more recent Metalder and Spielban in Season 1, it's likely the show did fail in their eyes.

I don't believe that urban legend of Ishinomori hating the show so much that he disallowed anymore western adaptations.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Isn't Kamen Rider a lot more mature and darker compare to Super Sentai, hence why there hasn't been another adaptation of it?

It's possible Toei doesn't want to hand the rights to just anyone. They handed Ryuki over to some small no-name company and it completely bombed.
They want someone like Saban with billions of dollars and lots of marketing reach.
Though I think what Toei needs to do is go to those companies, not let the companies come to them.

If I had unlimited money I would have marched to Toei's doors and secure the rights.

Oh well the next best thing is creating my own set of super heroes. ;D

BatDan

Isn't Kamen Rider a lot more mature and darker compare to Super Sentai, hence why there hasn't been another adaptation of it?

That's the beauty of adaptation. You can take any direction you want with it, as long as you use the costumes.
Yeah, KR has a lot more death than Sentai, but a good writer can find ways around that. Or they make the show for older kids that understand death happens. Hopefully nothing as lame as "venting".

NeonZ

...so, maybe
Future Krim is actually another plot point in the series? We still have 6 episodes, right?

Or it's just inconsistent as hell, wouldn't surprise me too.

Based on the newest episode preview,
"Future Krim", whoever he really is, really seems like he's going to be a tv show character. The previews for next episode show him talking with Gold Drive.

BatDan

Dino Charge 9

It's up at Nick.com, a week before it airs on TV.

Pretty good episode. Riley is shooting up to be one of my favorites. Then again this whole cast is great so far. Koda stole the show with his attempts at getting a cookie.
Nice development for Riley too, learning to follow his heart is sometimes the logical choice.

Also, "When Logic Fails". That's Nickelodeon in a nutshell right?

Watch Da Birdie

Next week...next week can't get here soon enough.

Also more Ghost footage from Surprise this week during Drive, we get to see sweet Matrix moves, and Ghost transforms into Newton---seems an eye appears in the air a bit like how Gaim transforms.

yami4ct

Well, I would say many KR's don't really have any more serious of a tone than Power Rangers. PR always tends to take the sentai they adapt into a more serious direction. Also, as has been said, tone is easy to change in an adaptation.

One of the things I've noticed about KR that may make things a bit harder is that a lot of the fights take place in public places around crowds of people. Unless Saban etc. don't really care that their US city streets are filled with an abnormally large Japanese population, that limits the fight footage they can actually use.

Watch Da Birdie

I think if you timed it, the amount of in-costume scenes in Sentai is much greater than Rider.

Sentai usually stay transformed for the entire fight, while Riders will often switch back pretty quickly, sometimes multiple times per episode.

They got lucky with Ryuki because the Mirror World concept, which eliminated onlookers and made everyone stay in costume, gave them more footage than usual.

yami4ct

Yeah. Rider fights are harder to use footage for a number of reasons. Like you said, they tend to show up out of suit a lot. The whole "knocked out of henshin" trope is something used far more often in Rider than Sentai. Then you've got the fact that Sentai episodes are pretty rigidly structured. X amount of story time, a big fight starts, megazord fight and a short out of suit wrap up. Rider's tend to have action structures that fluctuate much more wildly and creating a lot less usable footage.

Honestly, it'd be costly, but I'd probably start any adaptation with Den-O. The Imagin already feed into what Saban tried to do with Masked Rider, the time travel is a solid concept, and there's a shit-ton of footage.

javadoze

Yeah. Rider fights are harder to use footage for a number of reasons. Like you said, they tend to show up out of suit a lot. The whole "knocked out of henshin" trope is something used far more often in Rider than Sentai. Then you've got the fact that Sentai episodes are pretty rigidly structured. X amount of story time, a big fight starts, megazord fight and a short out of suit wrap up. Rider's tend to have action structures that fluctuate much more wildly and creating a lot less usable footage.

Not to mention the various times when supporting characters and face villains show up during fight scenes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The copyright lapsed, they just sat on it and nothing came of it.

That's lame.

Also I doubt they'd approach Saban again with the Masked Rider fiasco.

vareon

Honestly, it'd be costly, but I'd probably start any adaptation with Den-O. The Imagin already feed into what Saban tried to do with Masked Rider, the time travel is a solid concept, and there's a shit-ton of footage.

At this point I think everything works good as an adaptation (except Hibiki), but they do need a lot of reshoots.

Watch Da Birdie

I could see Den-O being a hard sell...

I mean, Americans don't like trains...probably why I bet ToQ will get skipped over.

Plus, I mean, what do you think most Western parents will think when they see a red-horned demon possessing someone?

I could see Den-O being a hard sell...

I mean, Americans don't like trains...probably why I bet ToQ will get skipped over.

Plus, I mean, what do you think most Western parents will think when they see a red-horned demon possessing someone?

You're thinking about it too much.

A kid turns into a superheroes with the help of his imaginary friends. Den-O or Kiva are perfect for kids.

ReiGun

You're thinking about it too much.

A kid turns into a superheroes with the help of his imaginary friends. Den-O or Kiva are perfect for kids.
This is how I'd do it. You could even change the main Imagine into something else if their appearance is a problem, since they wouldn't be able to use any of the Den-Liner footage anyway.

Tzmhero

I can see Den-O being especially difficult sadly because of it's age. The suits just can't stand up to that sort of age. They would need all new suits for American shot footage. I'm surprised they used Ryuki as well as they did. if it's anything DK did well, it was the editing of the source footage.

Top Bottom