• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

NeonZ

I feel the opposite with Drive. It feels like they're very close to finale but then I realized it was just episode 42.

There's supposed to be a Ghost crossover in September going by the toy guide schedule. It likely will take at least two episodes too. So, Drive only has about 4 episodes to finish its main plot, unless the Ghost crossover actually is part of the final arc.

ahdurian

There's supposed to be a Ghost crossover in September going by the toy guide schedule. It likely will take at least two episodes too. So, Drive only has about 4 episodes to finish its main plot, unless the Ghost crossover actually is part of the final arc.

Banno fills a Roidmude with the spirit of Shinnosuke's father and Ghost and Drive must defeat the Roidmude to set the spirit free

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Tendou can't come back for Kamen Rider, but he can do Girls? :0

I hope though this means he might end up getting more American roles---maybe he'll be discovered and end up playing someone in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I remember hearing on /m/ (and it was the same trip that first told us about the press conference before it happened) apparently Drive is going to end like in two episodes, and like all of September is special episodes. Two focusing on "Ultimate Lupin", sort of like Gaim's finale episode, and then two focusing on All Riders, like Wizard's. And each episode has a short 1-minute part at the end with Ghost.

Watch Da Birdie

Wait...I know he can speak english but is he any good at it? I keep thinking I remember instances of bad engrish inflection from him. Am I remembering wrong? Has his pronunciation improved?

You remember wrong, he can speak great.

WarRock

Wait...I know he can speak english but is he any good at it? I keep thinking I remember instances of bad engrish inflection from him. Am I remembering wrong? Has his pronunciation improved?
What, his english is perfect, he studied it in Switzerland or something like that. IIRC it's one of the reasons he was cast as Ryusuke in the live action Beck movie.

javadoze

Drive 42

Nice episode. Banno's taking names as the main villain and the arrogant fighting style of his is fun to watch. Just seeing him throw away the DoorGun and BrakeGunner like toys when he was finished was the icing on the cake. I feel like we're going to see the roidmudes either live... or die heroically.

Ninnin 26
The obligatory mansion set episode!

Liked the continuing character arc of Fuuka in this episode (as to what she wants to be). The Dracula yokai-of-the-week was also pretty entertaining like Franken (though I feel the introduction of a trio of villains was a bit wasted).

Next episode's the midway Last Ninja report... Fittingly on episode 26, practically in the middle of the show's run.

Watch Da Birdie

OrangeLion (the group doing Den-O) just released Tachibana: 10 Years After...

I mean, Super Hero Wars GP: Kamen Rider #3.

But fuck that, everyone's watching it for Garren and Zeronos, right?

Hiro Mizushima (Souji Tendo in Kabuto) will be in HBO's Girls

I'll take "Things I didn't think I'd hear today" for $600.

Of all the things to appear in...eh, maybe I'll watch.

OrangeLion (the group doing Den-O) just released Tachibana: 10 Years After...

I mean, Super Hero Wars GP: Kamen Rider #3.

But fuck that, everyone's watching it for Garren and Zeronos, right?

I don't want to watch this but I'm going to anyway just because of that damn song.

Well also because Faiz is back again. Anyways, it was alright, I actually prefer last year's Taisen over this but it was okay (minus that they messed up Blade again)...at least it's better (and more coherent) than fuckin' Let's Go Kamen Rider! (FUCK THAT MOVIE)

Watch Da Birdie

That Shocker Daruma tho, lol.

EDIT: Oh man, I cried when
Chief died! S-seriously Toei, don't put that in even an AU Movie!

WillyFive

Toku Fan Fiction 4: Grand Prix

Basically a remake of Let's Go Kamen Riders, except with a different roster. So much so that you could possibly edit most of these scenes together and the footage wouldn't contradict at all. The yearly attempts at making stories that would get all these Riders to fight each other are getting old; I do appreciate bringing back old Riders, but the writers obviously don't know much about them or their shows, otherwise they wouldn't do nonsensical things like having Yuuto be without Deneb for 90% of the screentime he has on the movie.

For as nice as the henshin sequences were, the action was terribly boring and dragged on for too much. One thing Toku could learn from Western superheroes is having plot still continue to develop during your action scenes (as well as having any sort of plot, period). I wish they would just stop with these Rider movies and give us some Super Sentai movies in this vein as well; Rider is hogging all of these films and Sentai has nothing going on.

NeonZ

I think narratively SHTGP is probably the best movie out of all these All Rider Spring movies. The only big problem, aside from sticking to the usual format (Shocker, Rider vs Rider, Suit-only Riders that are just background) is the Ninninger in the final battle. Outside of that, for once, they actually foreshadow the twist from the beginning of the movie, rather than outright lying to the viewer with many pointless scenes. It is pretty much a remake of Let's Go Kamen Riders though.

One of the issues is that in fanservice it's a step back from Rider Taisen. Unlike in that movie, all returning Riders here are mostly supporting players and don't carry their own plotlines. Also, only Zeronos really gets a lot of screentime. Some suit-only Riders are completely shafted, don't even get real battle scenes and are even cut from the final battle, due to plot reasons (X, Amazon, Skyrider, ZX, Shin, ZO, Kuuga, Agito, Hibiki, Den-O, W, Fourze), while KRT made sure everyone used at least one finisher throughout the movie, many even more. Some of those at least still some some unique things, but, aside from W and his Revolgarry during the race, it's blink and you miss it scenes (X releases energy X's during Drive's final transformation, ZX using his cross shuriken, Fourze flying around with his rocket).

Curiously, I think they had lower budget for this final battle. Maybe due to the Grand Prix, or just because they knew the movie would perform worse than last year's, considering the lower profile choice of returning actors and lower box office of recent Rider movies in general. They don't even have enough suit actors to feature all Riders on screen together. While all Riders were together, they were always split into three shots. Even after some leave the final battle, they still don't ever show all remaining Riders in a single shot.

The yearly attempts at making stories that would get all these Riders to fight each other are getting old; I do appreciate bringing back old Riders, but the writers obviously don't know much about them or their shows, otherwise they wouldn't do nonsensical things like having Yuuto be without Deneb for 90% of the screentime he has on the movie.

Yonemura actually was a writer for 4 Den-O episodes and one movie. I don't think any of them had Zeronos though. Anyway, one of the main problems with these spring movies is that they stick very rigidly to a stupid formula. Every single one of these movie seems to have to feature Shocker and Rider vs Rider (or hero vs hero for the first two SHTs). They're all by the same producer and writer - and especially the producer is likely the reason for this plot to be repeated over and over.

Anyway, it's always Rider focused because these movies have a Rider writer and producer, so they obviously are going to be Rider movies, or at best Rider/Sentai crossovers. It wouldn't make sense to take this staff and make a Sentai focused movie. Sentai Vs movies also have much lower box office than Rider movies in general, which likely doesn't help the creation of one extra Sentai movie.

Watch Da Birdie

I loved the Ninningers simply for how out of place they felt in this. Them and Chaser's weird cameo...

The Grand Prix Scene was actually pretty awesome, though. Makes me want a Rider Kart game.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So wait a minute, the only casualty other than various villains(some of whom would have fought against shocker themselves is
xxxgouxxx
? There has to be a special to explain that shit.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So wait a minute, the only casualty other than various villains(some of whom would have fought against shocker themselves is
xxxgouxxx
? There has to be a special to explain that shit.

There is. It's all resolved in the Kamen Rider 4 special. That's basically the real final act of the movie.

vareon

Haven't watched GP, but I do agree that yearly "all riders" movie have lost any impact it has since Decade. Do they even perform well in theatres?

I want to see more "10 years after" videos, particularly on the Rider side, but to do that they actually have to make an effort to bring the actors back.

NeonZ

Haven't watched GP, but I do agree that yearly "all riders" movie have lost any impact it has since Decade. Do they even perform well in theatres?

Their numbers have fallen alongside all other new Rider movies, but Kamen Rider Taisen was the best performing Gaim movie and now it looks like GP will be the best performing Drive movie (well, at least it's doing better than the previous Movie Wars and Drive's solo movie, there's still the future Movie Wars with Ghost which could raise its numbers). SHT also was the best performing Fourze movie (or movie in the Fourze run, since Fourze himself was barely there outside of the final battle).

SHTZ actually did worse than Wizard's solo movie though, and it was also the least Rider centered movie out of all these (aside from random suits in the final battle without lines, there was only Wizard's cast, in-suit Fourze characters and "Space Shocker" as servants of the real villain which was from Sharivan, compare with Sentai which had Gai and Yoko in starring roles, the Go-Busters and their supporting cast, the Kyoryuger taking over the final battle alongside Wizard, and in suit GokaiRed), which is probably why they changed to Rider focused movies afterwards.

WillyFive

I think we need Sakamoto back. It was so underwhelming seeing the Legendary Riders back and not having them fight anywhere near as good as they did in Megamax.

NeonZ

I think we need Sakamoto back. It was so underwhelming seeing the Legendary Riders back and not having them fight anywhere near as good as they did in Megamax.

I really prefer Kamen Rider Taisen's X to Megamax's. The updated "X" energy effect just looks much better than Megamax's attempt to go retro with him. Also, the close up spinning scene with movement effect looks better than anti-gravity gymnastic. Riderman also got his Machinegun Arm, and the Rope Arm didn't look nearly as oddly moving compared to Megamax. I also preferred Stronger's updated effects in Rider Taisen too, rather than the odd mix of Retro from Megamax (CG sparks for his standard attacks, but then a retro styled Electro Fire?).

Megamax had a superior Rider 1, 2, V3 and Amazon though.

WillyFive

I really prefer Kamen Rider Taisen's X to Megamax's. The updated "X" energy effect just looks much better than Megamax's attempt to go retro with him. Also, the close up spinning scene with movement effect looks better than anti-gravity gymnastic. Riderman also got his Machinegun Arm, and the Rope Arm didn't look nearly as oddly moving compared to Megamax. I also preferred Stronger's updated effects in Rider Taisen too, rather than the odd mix of Retro from Megamax (CG sparks for his standard attacks, but then a retro styled Electro Fire?).

Megamax had a superior Rider 1, 2, V3 and Amazon though.

Special effects were better, but the actual action itself was not as good though; in particular in this movie, when fighting in the dock, outside of that one random moment when 3 punched through the cargo wall, it was all very lame and forgettable.

NeonZ

Special effects were better, but the actual action itself was not as good though; in particular in this movie, when fighting in the dock, outside of that one random moment when 3 punched through the cargo wall, it was all very lame and forgettable.

I thought Riderman and V3 vs Rider 3 and Drive was good enough. You got the Riders' exchanging blows and especially in the Rider 3 vs V3 they managed to show Rider 3 as just plain tougher, rather than V3 fighting mindlessly. Meanwhile, Riderman and Drive were pretty much on par with each other, with moments like Drive's grab making each one stand out. Stronger, X and Amazon Vs Mach and Rider 3 was very poor though. They battle was very generic and seemed straight out of the Osamu Kaneda movies, which is kind of odd compared to pretty much every other fighting scene in both Rider Taisen and Rider 3.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just got back from a couple days of Wizard World (Chicago). Not much in terms of Figurats. Picked up ShinkenGold and Rider 1. Got some games too. Sadly, no amiibo...

No, I did not try to meet with JDF, but he made damn sure his presence was known
When you walk in to get your wristband, a big cardboard cutout with him in costume (minus the helmet) greets you.
The official store has an exclusive "Green Ranger Figure"
And apparently (my mom told me this), he was on a local radio show endlessly talking and comparing himself to Spider-Man and Batman. This is why Power Morphicon doesn't invite him!

You know how Austin St. John and Yuuta Mochizuki met and it was a very cool moment as both respected each other? I imagine if JDF met with any of his counterparts, he would turn it into a dick-measuring contest.

Watch Da Birdie

Did Gou know about the time change? One of the Signal Bikes protected Kiriko (which almost felt like a pointless plot since she didn't really change much), but he never really seemed to act as if he knew about what necessarily was going on.

I wonder how Mr. Belt played into this...at first I thought he was supposed to just be a regular belt in this timeline because he was just saying stock phrases, but then a few times near the end it seemed like it was regular Mr. Belt. Also...Chaser's role. Was he working for Shocker? Or was he working for the Roidmudes still as a separate faction?

Why did the Blade dudes become inspired by #3's speech when he told Yuuto to spare them, when they presumably knew he was working for Shocker and probably wouldn't think he actually meant that stuff?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I wonder how Mr. Belt played into this...at first I thought he was supposed to just be a regular belt in this timeline because he was just saying stock phrases, but then a few times near the end it seemed like it was regular Mr. Belt. Also...Chaser's role. Was he working for Shocker? Or was he working for the Roidmudes still as a separate faction?

seeing as how shocker somehow had inves and phantoms working for them, an artificial lifeform is nothing

NeonZ

I wonder how Mr. Belt played into this...at first I thought he was supposed to just be a regular belt in this timeline because he was just saying stock phrases, but then a few times near the end it seemed like it was regular Mr. Belt.

I assume he was like the chief. Apparently working for Shocker, but waiting for the time that Shinnosuke would turn against them. There's a quote from him when Shinnosuke decides to fight against Shocker after the Chief's death (So, you've finally started up your engine).

Why did the Blade dudes become inspired by #3's speech when he told Yuuto to spare them, when they presumably knew he was working for Shocker and probably wouldn't think he actually meant that stuff?

They might not have known. Shinnosuke himself worked for Shocker in the alternate timeline and yet he didn't know about Rider 3. If you think about it, that encounter is completely pointless to Shocker's plans of making the rebel Riders gather, go to the false Rider Town and ambush them there. If they were working together, Garren and Blade could have joined them and turned against the others at that later point. So, Rider 3 might have led the group into that just for the chance of fighting against more Riders and prove that he was the strongest.

WarRock

Rider GP
Most Coherent Taisen Movie For Thirty Minutes Award
Most Amount of Feathers in a Rider Movie Award (until the Ankh Returns, I hope)
Why Did Kiriko Kept Her Memories Award
Gou Died and Nobody Gave a Shit Then Kiriko Mentioned It Award
Most Wack Sentai Apparition Award
Finally a Giant Final Boss That Isn't a CGI Mess Award
But Obviously That Was Just Because of The Sentai Damn I'm Slow Award
Post Credits Scenes are the Best Fad Award

It was fun, the action was nice. But there was no point in most of the returning actors appearance, the other Taisen (Showa vs Heisei?) did it way better. If you are worried with character and script shenanigans, you shouldn't watch a Taisen anyway.

Tiu Neo

Today me and my friend will finally start a new Kamen Rider series: GAIM.

SHT GP

The plot was shit, yeah, but the movie was ok, imo. I like the old costumes, and Black being in is a big bonus for me. The action and the race were pretty fun.

Chief, noooooooo. Oh, Gou is Gou-ne too. Why one returned and the other not? Dunno, lol.

alvmew

Rider GP
Most Coherent Taisen Movie For Thirty Minutes Award
Most Amount of Feathers in a Rider Movie Award (until the Ankh Returns, I hope)
Why Did Kiriko Kept Her Memories Award
Gou Died and Nobody Gave a Shit Then Kiriko Mentioned It Award
Most Wack Sentai Apparition Award
Finally a Giant Final Boss That Isn't a CGI Mess Award
But Obviously That Was Just Because of The Sentai Damn I'm Slow Award
Post Credits Scenes are the Best Fad Award

It was fun, the action was nice. But there was no point in most of the returning actors appearance, the other Taisen (Showa vs Heisei?) did it way better. If you are worried with character and script shenanigans, you shouldn't watch a Taisen anyway.

Quoted for the bold - I would murder for an Ankh returns.
Although I do like how that story ended in Mega Max - we know he'll be back and by when, just not exactly when or how so there's still plenty of possibilities for stories in the future... in my imagination at least ;_;

Today me and my friend will finally start a new Kamen Rider series: GAIM.

I wish I could see Gaim again for the first time. So good.

His suit is so good. A shame we are never going to see it again, like Aqua.

My only goal in life is to live until the year 2051 so that Aqua has his own show.

NeonZ

His suit is so good. A shame we are never going to see it again, like Aqua.

I think there's still a chance he returns. Rider 3 was heavily promoted compared to most movie Riders. In the Japanese logo, "Kamen Rider 3" is much larger than "Super Hero Taisen GP". And they even made a heavily customized car for him even though they can't get around to remaking any Showa bikes (Rider 1,2 and V3 had theirs even before Vs. Dai-Shocker). Also, compare the TriCyclone with its giant pipes and machineguns to the NexTridoron in Drive's solo movie, which is just a paintjob.

Some movie Riders also have returned lately too - Skull, Eternal, Nadeshiko - even Mars, who no one asked for.

alvmew

I think there's still a chance he returns. Rider 3 was heavily promoted compared to most movie Riders. In the Japanese logo, "Kamen Rider 3" is much larger than "Super Hero Taisen GP". And they even made a heavily customized car for him even though they can't get around to remaking any Showa bikes (Rider 1,2 and V3 had theirs even before Vs. Dai-Shocker). Also, compare the TriCyclone with its giant pipes and machineguns to the NexTridoron in Drive's solo movie, which is just a paintjob.

Some movie Riders also have returned lately too - Skull, Eternal, Nadeshiko - even Mars, who no one asked for.

I think that a big part of why those latter riders came back though is because of how they at least tried to tie those movies/characters into their actual shows and the main riders they were affiliated with (e.g., Skull being W's mentor) - I'll have some hope for #3, but I'm sure Aqua is lost at sea gone forever.

Top Bottom