• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

WillyFive

I could see Den-O being a hard sell...

I mean, Americans don't like trains...probably why I bet ToQ will get skipped over.

Plus, I mean, what do you think most Western parents will think when they see a red-horned demon possessing someone?

1. Where in the world did you get the idea that Americans don't like trains? If there's one place in the world.....

2. The premise behind Den-O would be excellent. Simply change the design of Momo to be less devil-like and you got perfection.

I can see Den-O being especially difficult sadly because of it's age. The suits just can't stand up to that sort of age. They would need all new suits for American shot footage. I'm surprised they used Ryuki as well as they did. if it's anything DK did well, it was the editing of the source footage.

I could see this potentially being a problem. Let's Go was the last big Den-O showcase... so, they've be en in storage since 2011.

After Den-O or Kiva, the next one I'd probably adapt.... maybe Ghost, actually. Historical figures is a good spot for some educational fun and you might be able to ride the potential Yokai Watch craze.

Going older? Fourze for a direct translation, W for grabbing the footage and making something completely new.

NeonZ

The "future monsters" from the Aqua 40 years later future scenes in Movie Wars Megamax...

KamenRiderMW_Megamax_NeoUndeads_01_zpscoqzhilf.jpg

I wonder if anyone has figured out which suits they used for the Helheim human-like race in the flashback clips.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hope you guys don't mind the bump, but thought this warranted it since it's big news...the Ghost Press Conference happened today!

The website has updated with story and character information

Shun Nishime like speculated is our new Rider.

9XtKOnA.jpg

The guy in the background is Ryosuke Yamamoto (and yes, that was the guy rumored to play Kamen Rider Break), who is a character named Fukami Makoto. As you probably guess based on what he's wearing, he's Kamen Rider Spectre. Hopefully we get to see his costume at the Press Conference.

Watch Da Birdie

Well, Spectre is said to be the more experienced Rider. Seems like a Garren situation.

Anyway the cast...annoys me. I think because they look so mishmashed together, whereas for Gaim and Drive everyone really fit alongside one another due to wearing similar outfits.

I mean, it looks like you got a Final Fantasy villain, Aang, Blue Buster, Wataru, some random girl, and a crazed hobo off the street and asked them to pose.

yami4ct

Ugh. So apparently Bandai changed the way they processed their webshop payments, which means Pay Later is no longer an option on Nippon-Yassan. Guess that means I'll be waiting for Mandarake to grab a Figuarts Type Formula. Can't afford to drop that kind of cash right now, especially with Tridoron shipping next month.

This just changes how I have to budget things, but it does suck. At least it's for a figure that I suspect won't be too hard to find aftermarket.

vareon

The monster designer for Ghost is Kazuhiko Shimamoto, who made Aoi Honoo (Blue Blazes). This is what he wrote in Blue Blazes:

SRYgQod.jpg

dontletyourdreamsbedreams.gif

Watch Da Birdie

Hmm, I saw that too...

Aside from the cast revealed in the press conference, the official Kamen Rider Ghost Toei website also revealed some more cast information about the series:

Reo Kansyuji as Narita
Takuya Mizoguchi (Kamen Rider Den-O) as Shibuya
Kazuhiko Nishimura (Choujuu Sentai Liveman) as Ryu Tenkuuji
Yasuomi Sano (Nintama Rantaro) as Yasushi Onodera
Aoi Yuki (Kamen Rider 555, Gosick) as Yurusen (voice only)

Also revealed in both press conference and the official websites of the series that manga artist Kazuhiko Shimamoto (Mobile Fighter G Gundam), best known for continuing/finishing Shotaro Ishinomori's Skull Man and Cyborg 009 manga alongside with the Big Bang Project will work on the show's monster designs. Lastly, Kishidan will perform the show's opening theme.

And wow, Kid Ryoutarou from Den-O is in the show.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 25

I really hoped the Western Yokai would get to do more, but they were just standard MotW's. Maybe the Wolfman will do more since previous episodes showed he has a history with Kinji.

Seems someone on the writing staff saw Shadow of the Vampire. Shooting a Dracula movie with the actual Dracula present. Well, more auditioning for one.
Dracula vs. Ninja sounds terrible. ... I actually want to see it.

Also, it's been 25 episodes and I just noticed that Yakumo sits in a Western desk a lot while the others sit on the floor. Total Westaboo.

Drive 42

Poor Medic...
Her ability actually reminds me of SCP-590
Even Brain was like "she didn't deserve that, taking her free will"

Banno too stronk, plz nerf.

Ooh, the first Kamen Rider series is coming to Blu-Ray? Nice.

Watch Da Birdie

Is it me, or does Yakumo have on a lot of makeup to give him a paler expression?

I noticed this in close-ups during the last episode, his face is extremely and unnaturally pale. Is this meant to be some weird "he's part English!" deal??

WarRock

Wait another minute, what did Shimamoto do in G Gundam? Quick Google says "character cooperator" and some Rain sketches.

Anyway, really excited to see him working on this. The cast seems pretty standard, the girl sidekick is going to be this season Hina and the Riders will follow the Red/Blue Oni trope. Then we have the mysterious benefactor and the reluctant mentor.

Watch Da Birdie

Oh, Grandpa Igasaki speaking Italian makes total sense now---he literally has the Kanji for Italy in his name!

BatDan

The Dairanger boxset from Shout Factory is coming November 10th this year.
Hopefully they keep this pace up.

And with the original Kamen Rider on Blu-Ray coming, maybe Shout Factory could look into getting that.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 25

The western Yokai may not be that strong at all, but at least they are pretty entertaining. Nagi and Yakumo getting into their costumes was funny too.

Drive 42

So, now we know why Medic is like she is. Won't lie, this made me like her character a bit more. I even felt a bit sorry for her. I kinda hope Heart/Brain/Medic and the Kamen Riders end fighting together against a greater evil. (Banno?)

And Banno proves that in this series, Professors are the best Riders.

Dat ending, too. Can't wait for the next episode.

Pluto

The Dairanger boxset from Shout Factory is coming November 10th this year.
Hopefully they keep this pace up.
If it sells they should release much more, two seasons per year is not even close to a decent pace. I'd say they should try to do 6-8 seasons per year, they did it for PR and it apparently worked very well.

LostAnkh

If it sells they should release much more, two seasons per year is not even close to a decent pace. I'd say they should try to do 6-8 seasons per year, they did it for PR and it apparently worked very well.
I think they'll play it safe for now.

yami4ct

Power Rangers doesn't have the extra investment of subtitling the show. Shout Factory also doesn't really know if Zyuranger sales were one offs due to Power Rangers nostalgia or sustainable. I'd like to see them at least get to 3-4 a year, but I can totally understand if the work of subbing ~50 episodes makes that impossible.

Pluto

Shout Factory also doesn't really know if Zyuranger sales were one offs due to Power Rangers nostalgia or sustainable.
Yeah, but they'll have Dairanger to find out.

And I don't think the costs for subtitling are an issue, they obviously sold enough of Zyuranger to cover those costs, if Dairanger proves it wasn't just a one time thing and sentai sells 3 season sets should sell just as well, maybe even better. It seems Ohranger isn't very popular for example, maybe people wouldn't buy it as a standalone release but put it in a set with Kakuranger and Carranger and people will bite.

LostAnkh

Power Rangers doesn't have the extra investment of subtitling the show. Shout Factory also doesn't really know if Zyuranger sales were one offs due to Power Rangers nostalgia or sustainable. I'd like to see them at least get to 3-4 a year, but I can totally understand if the work of subbing ~50 episodes makes that impossible.
I'd like to say that it's just not the MMPR nostalgia that added to Zyuranger's sales, but the community spreading the news around and asking for the support of future Super Sentai being brought over here on DVD.

We'll see how long it lasts.

Tiu Neo

I'm at about 1/3 of both Go-Busters and Boukenger.

I know a lot of people like them, but I didn't expect J and Jin being so good. Really liking Go-Busters.

Boukenger... has some good moments, a lot of meh moments, but it's never really great. I hope it gets better, but it's pretty mid tier for me right now. Maybe it's the characters, or maybe it just didn't click with me that much.

BatDan

I posted SF and Amazon links over in the Dairanger announcement thread I made. Hopefully it gets people's attention.

Ninninger is lame today.

First off, who are you and what have you done with Doggie?

We're half-way through Ninnin and it feels like not a lot has happened in overall story.
We got a bunch of add-on Zords, Kinji showed up and got a lot of development, Lion Ha-Oh appeared, Taka got a Battlizer, one of the four generals is dead (with two coming out of hiding), the Western Yokai show up... I feel like I missed some things.

WarRock

All we need is Drive 42
Gold Drive with the Quan Chi move steal...
Banno being the final villain while Heart is just one faction that goes against the heroes instead of being "bad" would be interesting, but I'm not sure that's what's going to happen.

This episode has some weird implications. Medic initially synchronized her mind and emotions with a dog, therefore she just knew unconditional love and the joy in simple moments, but the more she got human emotions, she became less and less sympathetic with her fellow Roidmudes and more ruthless. Hm, maybe the Roidmoudes are twisted no matter what thanks to Banno having a hand in their creation?

Well, GREAT episode anyway. This show is good. Watch it.

We're half-way through Ninnin and it feels like not a lot has happened in overall story.
We got a bunch of add-on Zords, Kinji showed up and got a lot of development, Lion Ha-Oh appeared, Taka got a Battlizer, one of the four generals is dead (with two coming out of hiding), the Western Yokai show up... I feel like I missed some things.
Yeah, it just hit me we are up to 25 episodes and still feels like we are five or six weeks in.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I just wanna use best Aikatsu for a week. :p

And yeah that's my problem, even ToQ felt like something is happening at this episode.

vareon

I posted SF and Amazon links over in the Dairanger announcement thread I made. Hopefully it gets people's attention.

I feel the opposite with Drive. It feels like they're very close to finale but then I realized it was just episode 42.

Top Bottom