• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Mr-Joker

Banned
Just watched Super Hero Wars GP: Kamen Rider #3, ooh boy it's bad in scrip and action scene.

On the bright side Kamen Rider 3 was pretty cool.

WarRock

I think there's still a chance he returns. Rider 3 was heavily promoted compared to most movie Riders. In the Japanese logo, "Kamen Rider 3" is much larger than "Super Hero Taisen GP". And they even made a heavily customized car for him even though they can't get around to remaking any Showa bikes (Rider 1,2 and V3 had theirs even before Vs. Dai-Shocker). Also, compare the TriCyclone with its giant pipes and machineguns to the NexTridoron in Drive's solo movie, which is just a paintjob.

Some movie Riders also have returned lately too - Skull, Eternal, Nadeshiko - even Mars, who no one asked for.
Skull and Eternal are/were extremely popular though.

And man, will Psyga ever return? ;_;

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Super Hero Taisen GP: Kamen Rider 3

Can the next one not just be Kamen Riders fighting for 90 minutes? Can we get some substance?
The Blade reunion made me laugh as it was clear the only actor they got back was Tachibana. Also random Faiz.
I did like Rider 3, he was pretty cool. Maybe there will be a direct-to-video spin-off one day, where he fights Shocker in a bizarre limbo dimension.
The out-of-nowhere appearance of the Ninningers hurt my neck. Could you at least TRY to properly bring them in? Is that so hard? Maybe the next movie will give Sentai 40 a bigger role, and include other teams.

NeonZ

The Blade reunion made me laugh as it was clear the only actor they got back was Tachibana. Also random Faiz.
Actually, they got the actors for all 4 Riders. Only Tachibana's appears on set though, while the others only did VA work.

Maybe the next movie will give Sentai 40 a bigger role, and include other teams.

I think that depends on whether Sentai is getting its own anniversary movie next year, like Gokaiger did, or if there'll only be the usual movies. I guess if there isn't any extra Sentai movie they will make it another big Rider x Sentai feature for the spring movie, but I really hope that doesn't happen, since it'd just hurt both the Rider and Sentai anniversaries.

Tiu Neo

I hope the next SHT is a Sentai one, but not holding my breath for that, even if it's the 40th anniversary.

Kamen Rider 4 looks cool as hell. Hope someones subs the series soon.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I hope the next SHT is a Sentai one, but not holding my breath for that, even if it's the 40th anniversary.

Kamen Rider 4 looks cool as hell. Hope someones subs the series soon.

The DVD comes out on the 9th. I'm sure it'll be subbed shortly after that. I'm holding off on GP Taisen until then, since KR #4 is basically the real final act of the movie.

WarRock

Talking about the Ninninger cameo in Rider GP, what was tokuGAF's favorite "next season" Rider/Sentai cameo in movies?

I think I would go with OOO, Eiji chasing a medal out of nowhere set the mood perfectly for his show.

alvmew

Dare to dream, we are about due for one.

W, OOO, and now Drive have been the only ones not to for a while (if we are counting movies) - Decade had Kivaala, Fourze had Nadeshiko, Wizard had Mage, Gaim had Marika and Idunn.

Talking about the Ninninger cameo in Rider GP, what was tokuGAF's favorite "next season" Rider/Sentai cameo in movies?

I think I would go with OOO, Eiji chasing a medal out of nowhere set the mood perfectly for his show.

Go-Busters (but that might be my love of the show talking) - it just made them seem so damn cool and I love Basco's line about them just seeming like an imposter/wannabe Super Sentai.

javadoze

Rider: Probably Wizard, he served an actual purpose within the plot (holding off the Horoscopes while the others go to space), has a cool fighting scene, and not to mention his music.

Sentai: Probably Gokaiger, where their appearance is actually utilized within their own show.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Anyone noticed how out of all the Riders, excluding Drive and Mach, the only one we saw Form Change was Gaim into Pineapple Gaim of all things? That felt odd seeing him use Pine Squash all of a sudden.

Hopeifully Ghost will have a female rider. Marie Curie soul and Joan of Arc Soul could work

For once I think the fact that female Riders always die might work in their favor.

NeonZ

My favorite next Rider cameo's was probably Gaim's in the Wizard finale. I think placing it near the end was a good move to avoid the "Rider helps and disappears afterwards for no reason" issue. Not counting that one, since it's not a movie, probably Wizard's appearance in Fourze's movie.

Anyone noticed how out of all the Riders, excluding Drive and Mach, the only one we saw Form Change was Gaim into Pineapple Gaim of all things? That felt odd seeing him use Pine Squash all of a sudden.

Agito appeared as Burning Agito during the ambush in the tunnels. There was also Faiz Accel twice and Zeronos Zero form in the final battle. Also, Super-1 and Riderman changed hands, although that's not a full form change.

shaowebb

Best Rider cameo; OOO

Best Sentai cameo: Kyoryuger

This or W. When Kamen Rider W showed up he bodied the villain harder than most Riders ever do anything period. And it was after the main dudes were struggling versus the guy too. Legit Rider status established right there. The OOO's one won me over because suddenly a coin drops out there and you get a full on introduction to the amazing dynamic of Ankh and Eiji all in one scene. You couldn't help but want to know more about the guys after that scene.

I miss me some OOO's.

WarRock

Agito appeared as Burning Agito during the ambush in the tunnels.
That really took me by surprise. Agito always appears in base form or Shining, but my favorite is Burning, so it was nice.

This or W. When Kamen Rider W showed up he bodied the villain harder than most Riders ever do anything period. And it was after the main dudes were struggling versus the guy too. Legit Rider status established right there. The OOO's one won me over because suddenly a coin drops out there and you get a full on introduction to the amazing dynamic of Ankh and Eiji all in one scene. You couldn't help but want to know more about the guys after that scene.

I miss me some OOO's.
Yeeeeeees, it was so good!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I miss me some OOO's.

Ankh wasn't in the A to Z cameo though.

BatDan

Drive 43

So 004 copied Krim. I get the feeling 004 won't die, but the real Krim will take over his body a/la Banno taking over 006.
Brain's eccentric behavior now makes a lot more sense.
Man, how is there still at least 5 more episodes?

Gou's still a dick to Chase. He just wants some advice and he's all "fuck you robot man"

vareon

Drive's firing all engines as it's about to end. I'm quite confident it'll end with a bang.

I kinda forgot Shinnosuke had a hospitalized friend, lol. The story left Shinnosuke like a long time ago, now it's all about the Roidmudes.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Drive 43

So 004 copied Krim. I get the feeling 004 won't die, but the real Krim will take over his body a/la Banno taking over 006.
Brain's eccentric behavior now makes a lot more sense.
Man, how is there still at least 5 more episodes?

Gou's still a dick to Chase. He just wants some advice and he's all "fuck you robot man"

The last two are supposed to be a Ghost crossover (apparently?), so if that's the case, there's really only 3 episodes left to wrap things up. Unless they get Ghost involved in Drive's canon, which would be weird.

BatDan

The last two are supposed to be a Ghost crossover (apparently?), so if that's the case, there's really only 3 episodes left to wrap things up. Unless they get Ghost involved in Drive's canon, which would be weird.

So they're possibly pulling a Wizard? Interesting.

NeonZ

Uh-oh.... that doesn't bode well since well Wizard was a dud.

Really hoping that Ghost isn't as bad as Wizard.
He's talking about how Wizard's two last episodes had Gaim (and all past main Heisei Riders). Still, considering the credit list, it seems like the only crossover episode in Drive will be the final one (It has the same writer as Kamen Rider 4, rather than Drive's main writer).

A Ghost crossover in September was confirmed by the toyguide, although it wasn't clear when it'd happen.

BatDan

Ah I remember that, Decade and the villain started arguing about the colour of W.

Decade was a fun rider to watch.

Uh-oh.... that doesn't bode well since well Wizard was a dud.

Really hoping that Ghost isn't as bad as Wizard.

I mean they're "pulling a Wizard" by making Drive's finale a crossover. Not that Ghost will suck.
EDIT: NeonZ got it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
http://gematsu.com/2015/08/new-gran...rider-battride-war-leaked#PCbVc2K0wRqkZ2VC.99

YOOOO NEW BATTRIDE WAR, PS4/PS3/PSV!

tumblr_ntk7jrh7gp1uyal94o1_500.gif

Tiu Neo

First two episodes... Gaim started strange. I didn't expect dancing/pokémon battles.

I like the main character, he doesn't know how to use his powers yet, and on the second episode he acts just like I would if I got Kamen Rider powers.

Looks interesting.

First two episodes... Gaim started strange. I didn't expect dancing/pokémon battles.

I like the main character, he doesn't know how to use his powers yet, and on the second episode he acts just like I would if I got Kamen Rider powers.

Looks interesting.

That shit was the best.
tumblr_mustr7t0Ds1rovod3o1_400.gif

It only gets better.

Watch Da Birdie

I guess this will probably have all of Ghost's initial forms included (with the first quarter upgrade as DLC? I guess it's too early for it to have his mid-season and final form even as DLC)...and of course Drive, Mach, maybe Chaser? Mashin Chaser since he has more attacks would be cool too.

I'd like to see them throw in some Showa Riders as well now, although truth be told I'd still rather them fill in the Hesei Secondaries...wonder if we'll see Rider #3?

Totally importing...I know everyone would benefit with it going PS4/PSV exclusive, but I don't wanna upgrade my PS3 just yet. So...thanks Bandai Namco for being a generation behind!

Tiu Neo

That shit was the best.
tumblr_mustr7t0Ds1rovod3o1_400.gif

It only gets better.

...and that's why I liked him, hahaha.

If I wasn't watching it with someone else, I'd probably be on episode 10+ by now.

Drive 43

Those cafeteria scenes. Chase gets better every episode. Also, dat love triangle. Loved Krim Steinbelt, love consultant moment.

Next episode, Kamen Rider Jun! (And the promissed number, I guess)

ReiGun

Glad the good ship Shin/Kiriko is still sailing with clear skies over Japan. The lunch room scenes had me dying.

Kinda weird that they didn't (or couldn't) do anything about Banno taking the regular weapons.

I wish Banno had shown up a little sooner. He's a much better nemesis than the Roidmudes ever were.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I hope it's another worthy title to dust off my Vita, or actually use my PS3. They better get it right this time.

It seems like they decided to take another year-ish to make this one good (hopefully). That is, assuming it doesn't come out until January or February, which I'd bet on, personally. If it's not getting revealed until TGS, which is Sept. 17th, it probably won't be out for another 4-5 months after that.

Watch Da Birdie

I honestly think Drive probably has the best villains in all of Heisei...

Heart, Brain, Medic, Nira, Banno...all great.

Maybe tied with OOOs, especially if you consider Kougami a villain.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That, or they lowered the budget so much that they can only afford to release one every other year now, with incremental changes as always.

Shhhhh, I'm trying to be optimistic.

Plus, the reception to Battride II in Japan was middling enough that if they released another incremental update, it'd kill the series for good. They have to be at least making the secondary pre-W Riders playable this time around. Toss in a handful of new stages and a secondary mode a bit more creative than Rider Road/Survival, and I'll pay any price.

javadoze

Eh. Kougami's weird. In my mind he's more of a chaotic neutral character of sorts rather than a villain.

yami4ct

So Figuarts Rider Chaser is an exclusive as well? I shouldn't be surprised, but still ugh. Not a huge increase in cost, but still annoying. Not sure how Type Wild and Deadheat got full retail releases and a main rider gets stuck as an exclusive. I get he's an upgrade of Chaser, but it's still his main form as a rider.

Kougami? Not so much, just an interested party.. still a great character nonetheless.

I will miss the world of Drive when it ends however. It's been a long while when I've been captured by a Kamen Rider series on a weekly basis.

W probably still takes it for me. Weather, Nazca, Taboo, and Terror formed a great lineup and Utopia/Foundation X brought it all together. Gamel and to a certain degree Mezool let OOOs down.

Watch Da Birdie

I feel overall, bar Wizard, the newer Heisei shows have a much better idea of setting up villains...actually Wizard had shitty villains, but at least I felt like the writers had an idea of who the villains were going to be.

The older Heisei sort of suck at that, Kuuga, Agito, and Ryuki are solid, but...

* Faiz. You had the Lucky Clover gang set up as the Big Bads, but then they end up sort of getting derailed, especially Cockroach. And then at the end they introduce this weird Orphenoch sort of out of nowhere...

* Blade. Biggest issue I have with Blade is at the beginning they introduce Undead after Undead that are set up to be a major villain, but then die. This goes on throughout the show, and then the end throws in that human dude with Cerberus. I guess though if you consider Joker the big bad, they did a solid job setting that up.

* Hibiki. The worst. The villain faction is basically non-existent besides being a bunch of random monsters. I blame the retool.

* Kabuto. The Worms are very threatening antagonists, but I didn't feel the Worm Generals had much presence. And then the end introduces an evil Native sort of out of nowhere.

* Den-O. Who the fuck was Kai? Exactly.

* Kiva. Pretty much Faiz levels, introduces a cool villain group but they're sort of derailed, final villain is a really punk-ass bitch, and then they add in unnecessary drama to complicate matters. I so loved the film of Kiva for where I wish the series would've gone, where the enemy ended up being another race of monsters that'd have everyone band together.

* Decade. Who the fuck was Narutaki? Exactly.

Top Bottom