• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

NeonZ

* Hibiki. The worst. The villain faction is basically non-existent besides being a bunch of random monsters. I blame the retool.

Hibiki's 1st half was slowly setting up someone making experiments to power up the Makamou, surprising the Oni, but the 2nd half says that even those behind the scenes people were just odd Makamou, kills them, and attempts to say that it was all part of a known natural cycle, "Orochi". The Oni apparently just hadn't realized it before, rather than it being a new development, making it all pointless.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 26

A crummy ass clip show?! Seriously? This better be the only one, I don't want to get to Episode 42 and have another clip show.
Maybe the budget is going somewhere else... I mean, reusing the Nekomata costume again and everything.
I'll give this episode one thing, Takaharu didn't annoy me. Took a while but his acting finally seems up to snuff. Plus, the ending with him growing giant was kind of funny.

Next week though:
Transcendent StarNinger! About time!

vareon

Hibiki's 1st half was slowly setting up someone making experiments to power up the Makamou, surprising the Oni, but the 2nd half says that even those behind the scenes people were just odd Makamou, kills them, and attempts to say that it was all part of a known natural cycle, "Orochi". The Oni apparently just hadn't realized it before, rather than it being a new development, making it all pointless.

Douji/Hime's voice swap was a loveable mindfuck and I'm really sad it was thrown away on the 2nd half. Heck it managed to even cut its own final battle.

NeonZ

Wasn't Narutaki just a shocker goon?

He disguises himself as a Shocker commander in Movie Wars 2010 and as a Destron commander in SHT, but both times after he's defeated he goes back to Narutaki form. He also was shown in the tv show going all "Damn you, Dai-Shocker!" while by himself. He used the villains when he thought that they could kill Decade, but he wasn't actually part of them.

shaowebb

* Decade. Who the fuck was Narutaki? Exactly.

They have been teasing this mystery further and further with every single appearance of Decade in every Rider film since that series aired. Decade was roughly half as long as other series, he was billed as the end all be all guaranteed ulimate Rider because he is every Rider, and his villain and role in the Universes of each Rider still isn't fully told.

March 29 2024. Decade Returns for a second season directed and written by the Gaim crew. #believe

javadoze

Narutaki was probably originally meant to be Tsukasa from the future (a preview for the Decade finale movie featured him having Tsukasa's camera).

...Then the movie proceeded to have nothing from that preview.

Then in the Decade novel he was a vampire... for some reason.

Now with Kamen Rider Taisen, he's just a rider fanboy.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Chances of 004 Krim being a double-agent for the real Krim?

One of the upcoming episode summaries mentions a "surprising source" creating a back up Drive Pit too...

BatDan

So this happened

CNQ3H06UcAA9DPw.jpg:large

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ninninger 26

-Took me a while to realised that this was a clip show episode, though I found it funny since they brought back Nekomata.

We're totally going to see Nekomata again.

Next week episode looks to be good.

Drive 43.

I loved Shinnosuke's reaction when Chase asked if he was in love with Kirinko.

Also Gou is still a jerk to Chase. ¬_¬;

BatDan

I'm trying to figure out who the biggest ham is in Drive. I think it might be every single character besides Chase

Even Chase can ham it up.
Remember the scene where they had him "attack" Nira in order to approve of Shinnouske using Drive? He looked like he jumped out of a children's haunted attraction.

javadoze

Drive 43

-We have reached critical mass. Everyone is a giant ham now.
-I actually quite liked the moment between Shin and Krim.
-Yesss.
-Normally, I don't care for love plot (or love triangles), I honestly don't mind the one here because it was foreshadowed well in advance (and not to mention the lunchroom scenes were pretty entertaining).

Quiz Sentai Ninninger 26

-While I dislike clip shows, this one was pretty alright.
Let's be real, does their (real) grandfather even know Nagi exists?
-Good mech scene, though. The Ultraman reference got a dumb smile on my face.

jwk94

He disguises himself as a Shocker commander in Movie Wars 2010 and as a Destron commander in SHT, but both times after he's defeated he goes back to Narutaki form. He also was shown in the tv show going all "Damn you, Dai-Shocker!" while by himself. He used the villains when he thought that they could kill Decade, but he wasn't actually part of them.
Huh, I didn't realize that. The movies are so convoluted.

Now he just shows up to yell "Damn you, Decade!" and then explain the plot to Tsukasa and friends.

I actually don't mind Tsukasa and Narutaki just inserting themselves into whatever the current Rider is doing. It's fun. I think those two work best outside of their series.

jwk94

Ugh, database error caused me to double post. Sorry ><

Huh, I didn't realize that. The movies are so convoluted.

Now he just shows up to yell "Damn you, Decade!" and then explain the plot to Tsukasa and friends.

I actually don't mind Tsukasa and Narutaki just inserting themselves into whatever the current Rider is doing. It's fun. I think those two work best outside of their series.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hmm, looking at the time from announcement to release for the first two Battride games, I'd say we're probably looking at a January release for the new one. I hope it's sooner, but it's probably January.

vareon

I wonder if the guy playing Narutaki knows who Narutaki is.

"You need to act angry in this scene."
"Yes but why am I angry though?"
"I don't know man, you're just this angry guy!"

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wonder if the guy playing Narutaki knows who Narutaki is.

"You need to act angry in this scene."
"Yes but why am I angry though?"
"I don't know man, you're just this angry guy!"

I can only imagine his confusion when they were filming Heisei vs Showa.

"And then you smile and tell Decade that Riders are wonderful."
"Wait what"
"Then he agrees and you give him a happy smile."
"...so wait, now I'm Decade's friend?"
"Yep!"
"That doesn't even make any sense!"
"Shut up or we won't pay you."

JLynn

I love the unions between SS and PR actors.

On another note listening to the Michael Hollander (FKA Michael Bacon) interview inspired me to check out VR Troopers to see if it held up. I lasted an episode and a half. I tried so hard but couldn't get through it. Luckily a friend hooked me up with a Metalder torrent and man, it's hokey in an interesting way. I get major Pinocchio vibes from Ryusei and it's also interesting to compare and contrast between that and VRT (Karl Ziktor is pretty much a carbon copy of Gozo Kirihara right down to shooing away the assistants before changing to their demonoid forms)

Does anybody know if Spielban has been subbed?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Drive 43
Quiz Sentai Ninninger 26

-While I dislike clip shows, this one was pretty alright.
Let's be real, does their (real) grandfather even know Nagi exists?
-Good mech scene, though. The Ultraman reference got a dumb smile on my face.

He should. I was suprised to see that nagi was top tier in the monsters eyes(or he could have been messing around.) Because i put him in the 1-2 spot a while ago. He just gets slept on because he doesnt force his way like kasumi does.

Does Yoshi know Japanese?

How many pr actors have met with sentai teams? The only one i think of is the dude that played mack.

Tiu Neo

He should. I was suprised to see that nagi was top tier in the monsters eyes(or he could have been messing around.) Because i put him in the 1-2 spot a while ago. He just gets slept on because he doesnt force his way like kasumi does.

How many pr actors have met with sentai teams? The only one i think of is the dude that played mack.

It kinda makes sense, but more because nobody is really good, heh. He is, at least, better than Fuuka and Takaharu at being a Ninja. He doesn't have magic to depend on like Yakumo. That leaves Kasumi and Kinji. Kinji has some weaknesses, since he was self-taught. Biggest problems with Nagi are that he doesn't have much self-confidence, and that he doesn't really stand out, compared to the other members.

Nagi becoming the Last Ninja would be a nice twist. But we know who will really be the Last Ninja, so...
Grandpa. He'll be last ninja forever.

Just saw Kaito Kumon/Kamen Rider Baron's actor on TV Yutaka Kobayashi... -nod nod- talk about acting skills because he's way different than his character haha.

Hmm, looking at the time from announcement to release for the first two Battride games, I'd say we're probably looking at a January release for the new one. I hope it's sooner, but it's probably January.

I want to say yes, but I'm thinking of late November or early December to cash in on the upcoming movie wars...could be totally wrong since I don't think the previous entries were release around the time of a movie coming out.

NeonZ

There are some magazine scans about Ghost's debut.
He actually appears during Drive's story finale, not just the final "special" episode. At one point, Shinnosuke is ambushed by revived Roidmudes and apparently attacked without having the chance to transform, but Ghost saves him.

The actual crossover final episode is about some remaining Roidmudes teaming up with NeoShade.

WarRock

UtETLER.png

This looks cool, as do the mooks. Monster design seems pretty old school (which makes a lot of sense), so I expect polarizing reactions.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ghost has a cute little Ghost buddy voiced by some idol chick, too...it's the character called "Yuresen".

NeonZ

I like how Ghost's monsters look like a clothed human, a little bit like Showa designs.

They look oddly like the designs used by many monsters created by Shocker and other related organizations, like Badan, with the upper body being the usual rubbed suit, but then you've got a belt, tight pants and boots for the lower body. Add to that the Skeleton grunts too, and the Shocker imagery is fairly strong.

The grunts also resemble some kind of mass produced Showa Rider, with the boots, gloves, belts, chest armor. They also have two big eyes on their helmets, although they aren't round. Next year is going to be the Rider 45th years anniversary, so they might be going in this direction due to the anniversary, although so far they haven't included any promotion related to that anniversary so it could be just a coincidence.

Saw the scans!
Wish I understood what it said. Will he be silver or he'll be just a normal character?

If we were getting anymore Ninnins we would've gotten a leak a while ago. The girl in purple is from another Ninja clan and has a crush on Takaharu, and Ryuji's character seems to be a jealous childhood friend.

vareon

They look oddly like the designs used by many monsters created by Shocker and other related organizations, like Badan, with the upper body being the usual rubbed suit, but then you've got a belt, tight pants and boots for the lower body. Add to that the Skeleton grunts too, and the Shocker imagery is fairly strong.

The grunts also resemble some kind of mass produced Showa Rider, with the boots, gloves, belts, chest armor. They also have two big eyes on their helmets, although they aren't round. Next year is going to be the Rider 45th years anniversary, so they might be going in this direction due to the anniversary, although so far they haven't included any promotion related to that anniversary so it could be just a coincidence.

I think it's coincidence (or at least, not intended as an anniversary), or it's tied to the concept that Ganmas were actually the belts (iirc?) so they can get away with less organic design. Might also allude with Ghost's power source is the same as his enemies'.

I just hope we see interesting fights out of those suits.

BatDan

ToQger Returns: Super ToQ #7

Talk about false advertising! ToQ 7 only shows up in two scenes! What a joke.
Retconning Akira's tanktop to be a living thing was weeeeird. Like... why?
This did remind me that Right's actor is soooo much better than Takaharu's actor.

So what happened to Z? It was clear from the final episode that he survived and Grita took him away. Is he being saved for Ninnin vs ToQ?

What's next? We got the latest SHT, we got ToQger Returns, I'm guessing the Summer movies in a few months?

Top Bottom