• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Tiu Neo

Just watched my Gaim episode for the day, episode 6. I normally don't comment on single episodes like that, but...

Oren Pierre Alfonzo.

What a glorious character.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
ToQger Returns: Super ToQ #7

Talk about false advertising! ToQ 7 only shows up in two scenes! What a joke.
Retconning Akira's tanktop to be a living thing was weeeeird. Like... why?
This did remind me that Right's actor is soooo much better than Takaharu's actor.

So what happened to Z? It was clear from the final episode that he survived and Grita took him away. Is he being saved for Ninnin vs ToQ?

What's next? We got the latest SHT, we got ToQger Returns, I'm guessing the Summer movies in a few months?

I may be alone in this, but i was bored to tears watching this. It was cool seeing akira again, but i really dont miss the cast like i usually do with previous line ups.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think it's obvious that Ghost is gonna somehow involve Shocker.

First, you have the recent SHT showing the true form of the Great Shocker Leader---who, probably not coincidentally, is a one-eyed cyclops like the Ghost Drive.

Then you have the various Ghost Tools that are based on Shocker stuff---the Condor, Cobra, Spider, and Bat Gear.

And now the Shocker Grunt-looking goons.

I'm actually speculating that Ghost himself is getting tricked into gathering the Eyecons for Shocker, and the big mid-season reveal is gonna have him realize this and rebel.

ToQger Returns: Super ToQ #7

I dropped ToQ before Akira even showed up...would I enjoy the movie even without much knowledge of the show?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That clip show episode of Ninninger was actually really fun.

New Ninninger scan stuff:
Also a scan apparently confirmed Kyuuemon, like speculated, is a guy since it shows him when he was a human.

NeonZ

I wonder where would we be if they didn't drop Foundation X like a bad habit?

Well, we probably wouldn't have Drive, since they dropped Foundation X due to W/Fourze's producer leaving the Rider franchise, and Drive's producer seems to have taken his "spot" in the line up of rotating producers for Rider. Also, either way, we probably wouldn't get anything Foundation X related in either Wizard's or Gaim's runs, just like how there was no Foundation X in OOO. It'd only reappear with whatever we got in Drive's place.

WillyFive

Well, we probably wouldn't have Drive, since they dropped Foundation X due to W/Fourze's producer leaving the Rider franchise, and Drive's producer seems to have taken his "spot" in the line up of rotating producers for Rider. Also, either way, we probably wouldn't get anything Foundation X related in either Wizard's or Gaim's runs, just like how there was no Foundation X in OOO. It'd only reappear with whatever we got in Drive's place.

It sucks that the other producers didn't pick up where he left off. Foundation X is a lot more interesting than Shocker revival #7.

WarRock

This is extremely relevant to this thread and I don't care if you disagree.

Foundation X could be in Wizard or Gaim easily. "Oh by the way, who actually funded Fueki/Yggdrasil...."

NeonZ

Foundation X could be in Wizard or Gaim easily. "Oh by the way, who actually funded Fueki/Yggdrasil...."

It could be, but it wouldn't be. Like I said, just look at the W-OOO-Fourze period. Foundation X was shown to be interested in the medals during the end of W, and was shown to have created weapons with them in Megamax, but during OOO itself there was no Foundation X. None of the other producers showed interest in using Producer Tsukada's idea which is why Foundation X disappeared after he left the franchise in the first place. If he stayed, he might have continued using it, but the other producers likely would ignore it as usual.

So, comes the show that would replace Drive, it could be revealed that Foundation X had ties to Wiseman's Phantom development and Yggdrazil's Sengoku Drivers and Invess, but that wouldn't be shown during those shows, only afterwards during whatever replaced Drive and/or its movies.

It sucks that the other producers didn't pick up where he left off. Foundation X is a lot more interesting than Shocker revival #7.

Which is why I brought it up. After watching SHT GP is that Shocker in that capacity makes me miss having Foundation X as the movie bad guys.

It could be, but it wouldn't be. Like I said, just look at the W-OOO-Fourze period. Foundation X was shown to be interested in the medals during the end of W, and was shown to have created weapons with them in Megamax, but during OOO itself there was no Foundation X. None of the other producers showed interest in using Producer Tsukada's idea which is why Foundation X disappeared after he left the franchise in the first place. If he stayed, he might have continued using it, but the other producers likely would ignore it as usual.

So, comes the show that would replace Drive, it could be revealed that Foundation X had ties to Wiseman's Phantom development and Yggdrazil's Sengoku Drivers and Invess, but that wouldn't be shown during those shows, only afterwards during whatever replaced Drive and/or its movies.

That's the point. They were building Foundation X to be the Neo-Heisei Shocker and I appreciated that. You didn't need to see them around to know that every single evil thing going on in Rider Town Land is a Foundation X plot. Having that reveal every year during SHT would've been great compared to what we get now with Shocker running the same plan over and over again every single year.

The only time Shocker should've appeared is during Fourze for the obvious reason and even then Foundation X should've been in the shadows ready to be the real big bad as the status quo should've been.

I don't know if having that producer still working on the show would adjust the course of the series so drastically that Drive wouldn't exist.

This also makes me wonder if there's going to be a circle around on the Space Sheriffs or more random Ishinomori character drops in the near future?

NeonZ

I don't know if having that producer still working on the show would adjust the course of the series so drastically that Drive wouldn't exist.

The main producer is pretty much the key creative position for the basic elements of each series. The toy gimmicks and main suit are chosen in negotiations between the producers and Bandai/Plex. Some producers, like Takebe, pretty much always follow Bandai's orders, but Tsukada is known for getting them to change things. He also liked to have creative influence in the storyline itself too, which is why Foundation X was created in the first place. It wasn't actually created by Sanjo (W's main script writer), but Tsukada himself (the producer).

The detective theme, Fuuto, the 2 in 1 Kamen Rider concept, the basic design of the main suit, going after a pure "Rider" theme, the main form being the weaponless Cyclone/Joker (while Bandai wanted Heat/Joker with a weapon) all came from him too. The writer only enters after all that was already defined. So, even if Sanjo were this year's writer's, if Tsukada was the producer, it's very likely that the show actually made wouldn't be "Drive" at all - although it probably still would have a collectible vehicle gimmick. Although, considering what he did before with W, it's even possible he could have pushed for bikes for the main Rider and cars for the secondary.

Tiu Neo

Man, Gaim and GoBusters. You're in for such a ride.

Loving both. It's a bit early to say, but Gaim at least has the best start of the Kamen Rider series I've watched (Kabuto, Drive and Kiva).

Go-Busters has big chances of being on my top 5 sentai.

javadoze

The main producer is pretty much the key creative position for the basic elements of each series. The toy gimmicks and main suit are chosen in negotiations between the producers and Bandai/Plex. Some producers, like Takebe, pretty much always follow Bandai's orders, but Tsukada is known for getting them to change things. He also liked to have creative influence in the storyline itself too, which is why Foundation X was created in the first place. It wasn't actually created by Sanjo (W's main script writer), but Tsukada himself (the producer).

The detective theme, Fuuto, the 2 in 1 Kamen Rider concept, the basic design of the main suit, going after a pure "Rider" theme, the main form being the weaponless Cyclone/Joker (while Bandai wanted Heat/Joker with a weapon) all came from him too. The writer only enters after all that was already defined. So, even if Sanjo were this year's writer's, if Tsukada was the producer, it's very likely that the show actually made wouldn't be "Drive" at all - although it probably still would have a collectible vehicle gimmick. Although, considering what he did before with W, it's even possible he could have pushed for bikes for the main Rider and cars for the secondary.

Sucks that Tsukada isn't around (in the lineup of producers) anymore. It would've been interesting to see another rider from him.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Are you trying to make sense out of a Taisen movie?

Good point... just one of the many reasons the writers did not care.
Someday we'll get a decent SHT movie, one that isn't just Riders fighting Riders.

NeonZ

New video from SpeedRacerFlubber!

Wait, I just realized something. How can V3 exist in this reality when 1 and 2 were "killed"? Wasn't V3 rebuilt by 1 and 2 after he tried to go after Destron?

Well, the part of the story that Rider 3 told Drive about them surviving as electronic brains and still fighting against Shocker was true, so maybe they managed to convert him into a cyborg by hacking into a Destron base.

yami4ct

are ht ninngers getting new zords?

According to catalogues
They get one more core mech to replace Shurinkenjin. I think it's cool because it's a 6 piece mech, but it's kind of disappointing for a final mech IMHO.

Just caught up with Drive. I love that show so much. If they stick the landing, and it looks like they're going to, it's going to be my favorite Rider show of all time. Just super gripping stuff. I hope Toei keeps Riku Sanjo around for as long as humanly possible. He hasn't had a Toku miss yet in my book.

yami4ct

i wish the individual zords got more battle time.

Zord battles are super cool when they're done right. With how far the tech has come for the practical Zord effects have come, I'd love to see more. Go-Busters seemed to be going that direction, but we all saw what went down with that show.

javadoze

Watching Super Hero Taisen GP and this shot cracked me up.

IL62wwt.png

I almost wanted an awkward reunion scene between them instead of Shinnosuke wondering what's the deal with rider 3.

The more you know. I always thought Bandai handed them something and told them make it work for the kiddies. Knowing there's some negotiation and give to initial pitches gives how shows come about a new light. Something to consider in the future.

WarRock

New video from SpeedRacerFlubber!

Wait, I just realized something. How can V3 exist in this reality when 1 and 2 were "killed"? Wasn't V3 rebuilt by 1 and 2 after he tried to go after Destron?
3 (not V3) was basically a cheat code made after Shocker lost in the usual timeline and then they slowly went on to change stuff, it was really inconsistent until they could activate the Ultimate Beam Whatever; remember that they only could erase Riders completely with it.

Yeah, it's convoluted as fuck.

BatDan

Dino Charge 10

Great touch on Lynn and company to turn Zandar into a country to explain Gold's "Zandar Thunder" move.
We get our first peek at Ivan, too bad he didn't say anything.
Tyler and Shelby are totally going to be a thing. At least it's being set up compared to Kyoryuger.
Great ending too. Can't wait to see Ivan break out ne- THERE'S NO EPISODE? FUCK OFF! You are the worst Nickelodeon! The worst!

I just hope there's a point where Dino Drive is used outside the Megazord. Not a fan of Megazord-only powers.

WillyFive

Tyler and Shelby are totally going to be a thing. At least it's being set up compared to Kyoryuger.

Yeah, that's the one part of Kyoryuger I didn't like. They spent most of the year building up Red x Purple as the couple, only to retcon it in the last episode because the actors for Red and Pink were dating in real life. Lame.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
No Yayoi had a one way crush on Daigo and there were tiny hints of Daigo and Amy throughout. Like very tiny but still there. And they drove it home within the last 10 episodes not just the final like some people seem to think.

Tiu Neo

Toqger Returns

I was expecting the worse, but it wasn't that bad, imo. I liked it better than the Kyoryuger special. ToQ7 was pretty cool, and the kids interacting with themselves as adults was nice.

Akira
's tanktop being a shadow was a weird twist.

It was silly but fun, just like the series.

BatDan

Ninninger 27

So the Western Yokai were nothing... at least Kinji got to avenge his family.
His eyes turning purple meant there's still a bit of Yokai in him right? Hopefully something that will come back later in the series.
It was great to see someone else use Transcendent mode, hopefully the others will use it now.

Interesting to see what Kyuuemon's Ninja School will bring, and if it will be a multi-parter or just one episode

WarRock

Gaim Gaiden - Zangetsu Returns
Pretty cool, Apple Arms looked good. Watermelon's shield having a gatling a la Gouf made me giggle.

The tiny bit of depth added with the Child Care facility is welcome too; Ryoma makes more sense now.

Was Takatora's father the Terror Dopant?

Gaim Gaiden - Baron Does Bike Backflips for No Reason
wat

Top Bottom