• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

alvmew

How do you feel about Agito? :3

The only fake death that bothered the hell out of me was
Philip's in W. My headcanon dictates that none of the last episodes scenes with him and Wakana (spelling?) happened.

I've only seen Decade-Drive. ):

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
i never realized until I watch a review of the DX Shift Next Special car....but the Drive Driver and Mach Driver use different languages for the same cars

in the video, Drive Driver used English to say "Super Dead Heat" while the Mach Driver does it in Japanese "Chou Dead Heat"

one word difference, but just neat to me

Yeah, the Mach Driver if you put in the Shift Cars uses Japanese words for them, but pronounces them with its pseudo-English accent...

Flare is Moeru (burn), Mad Doctor is Naoru (heal), Mantarn is Ichiban (No. 1), etc. Even the Viral Cores get in on it being called Muchi (whip), Tsume (claw), and Yumiya (bow and arrow) for Cobra, Spider, and Bat respectively. And then Lupin's is Warui (bad).

shaowebb

Check out what you get to use in Zelda Triforce Heroes as an outfit.

PLmTAHx.jpg

:p

Watch Da Birdie

There's another leaked set video I saw on /m/ in webm format that seems to be from the scene from yesterday as the Beethoven Ganma is there, but this time you get to see Spectre!

He fights Ghost barehanded, and knocks the Gangan Sabre right out of his hands. Dude might give Tachibana a run for his money in terms of cool secondaries.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That just made Triforce Heroes a lot more interesting.

Speaking of, been watching Gingaman. I hear Sambash talk and I think "he sounds familiar'.
"C"MON" Oooh it's Link. Cool.

Slayven

I swear if you watch superhero hour all summer you practically see the entire movies in the snips they show in the shows

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That looks like Jetman outfit too, and Link's hair mimics the beak lol

I swear if you watch superhero hour all summer you practically see the entire movies in the snips they show in the shows

Or rather the only interesting tidbits lol

AGITΩ

Maybe its the alcohol in my system, but I was blown away by the end of this drive episode for one reason: I HAD NO IDEA DEKARANGER 10 YEARS AFTER WAS A THING Since I began avoiding spoiler sites like Jefusion and stuff, the second I saw the clip my hype levels reached MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE.

Drive was good too, I got dem feels, BUT DEKARANGER. Houji looking like he's seen some shit and some stuff and wouldn't recommend it. But dayum! Dekaranger was the first Super Sentai I watched in its entirety back in the day when TV-N was like the only source for toku. That and Kamen Rider Faiz I have epic nostalgia goggles for.

Watch Da Birdie

UeHNTeD.jpg

Gou am cry.

Called the "Osoroi" (Matching) Look. I guess that suggests there may be some bonus if Green and Blue wear it as well and form a Sentai Team, since iirc each Link can wear their own costume.

Such a cute gimmick, a shame they didn't save it for a more traditional Zelda.

Tiu Neo

Didn't expect those Gavan episodes at Go-Busters. I think I watched a couple of Gavan episodes back when I was a kid, I remember some of those songs.

Are the new Metal Heroes movies any good?

NeonZ

Didn't expect those Gavan episodes at Go-Busters. I think I watched a couple of Gavan episodes back when I was a kid, I remember some of those songs.

Are the new Metal Heroes movies any good?

Gokaiver vs Gavan is pretty good if you like Sentai Vs movies. It was probably the last great Sentai Vs movie too.

New Gavan is a Osamu Kaneda movie, so it's bad. It has some good scenes, especially the ones with the old Gavan, but the main plot is way too focused on relationship drama and the final action scenes are very underwhelming and short, like usual for Kaneda's movies. New Gavan himself also is a pretty weak character during most of the movie, until the original Gavan straightens him up.

Super Hero Taisen Z, although another Kaneda movie, actually has a better take on New Gavan if you want to see him starring on something. On the other hand, old Gavan is pretty bad here. And well, it suffers from the usual problems of the SHT and Kaneda movies - mediocre battles, unnecessary cameos, some infuriating one shot scenes in the final battle too (It's also a Go-Busters epilogue though).

New Sharivan attempts to be a serious cop mystery with some light hearted references to the original Sharivan series. It has Sakamoto action, and is likely the best out of these movies, although the mystery itself is fairly obvious and cliche. A plot thread is left open here and only closed in New Shaider.

New Shaider is very comedic and light hearted, with a lot of Sakamoto fanservice stuff. The final part of the movie brings New Gavan forward in order to close the plot that starts in New Sharivan.

It's kind of funny though, they've had 4 different supreme commanders for the space police throughout these revival movies.

shaowebb

I'm only up to ep 34 now of Drive. Still stuck somewhere midway on Kuuga too. Got sidetracked a ton with computer stuff and such. Also Splatoon came out so yeah...lost a lot of time. Show is upping the intensity at the current point. Just got to type Tridoron. At this point I feel like Kamen Rider Chaser is what you would have had if Kamen Rider Skull had been more than a movie only character.

vareon

I'm only up to ep 34 now of Drive. Still stuck somewhere midway on Kuuga too. Got sidetracked a ton with computer stuff and such. Also Splatoon came out so yeah...lost a lot of time. Show is upping the intensity at the current point. Just got to type Tridoron. At this point I feel like Kamen Rider Chaser is what you would have had if Kamen Rider Skull had been more than a movie only character.

The intensity won't stop, you're in for a ridedrive.

WarRock

Going to recommendo Gokaiver vs Gavan and both Sharivan and Shaider Next Generation. Good and nostalgic action movies that get shit done and don't overstay their welcomes.

vareon

In case someone missed it, Animator Expo's "The Ultraman" by Akitoshi Yokoyama.

http://animatorexpo.com/theultraman/

It's a bit sad seeing Ultraman and Tsuburaya at this state today. As someone outside Japan, I feel that Ultraman are more recognizable as Japan's legacy than, say, Rider or Sentai. I think the premise of a giant hero series died as technology advanced, where fighting over scaled model of cities were no longer seen as impressive (and it limits choreography, too). Still I want to see Ultraman movies with the scale of 2004's Ultraman or that Ultraman Zero movie, but seeing Tsuburaya now I'm not holding any breath.

It's a bit sad seeing Ultraman and Tsuburaya at this state today. As someone outside Japan, I feel that Ultraman are more recognizable as Japan's legacy than, say, Rider or Sentai. I think the premise of a giant hero series died as technology advanced, where fighting over scaled model of cities were no longer seen as impressive (and it limits choreography, too). Still I want to see Ultraman movies with the scale of 2004's Ultraman or that Ultraman Zero movie, but seeing Tsuburaya now I'm not holding any breath.

Oh hey! They based it off of the old 70's manga that Viz translated and brought out here, that's kinda neat actually..

I tune out of the big monster fights in Sentai, so Ultraman - a series where that is the focus - is a no-go for me. The movies are interesting and Tsuburaya does a great job of mixing practical with special effects, but I'm a Rider fan.

BatDan

Gingaman has a flute episode. Are they just another common episode trope like wedding episodes, quick-change episodes, and visit from a grandparent episodes?
I guess you don't go 40 years without repeating the same episode types over and over.

Drive spoilers
I heard Chase trended on Twitter last night. That's huge.

WarRock

I don't know about this... I feel it's more like they want to keep doing the same choreographies because it's a tradition at this point.

WillyFive

I don't know about this... I feel it's more like they want to keep doing the same choreographies because it's a tradition at this point.

Perhaps, but you can't just go wild with stunts when working in a miniature sets like you can when you are filming out at the pier or elsewhere; you could hit the sets and then you have to wait a couple of minutes while the artists try to fix it or move all the sets around to make the stunt work. Not only that, monster suits and mech suits are not very agile, and wear out the stuntman really quickly.

WarRock

Well, yeah. But the Ultra suits don't seem to constrain movements at all, and there is a lot that can be done plot wise about different backgrounds/sets and their possible destruction.

WillyFive

True, but sets only look good blowing up and being destroyed when they are planned and designed to be. If the suit actor mistakenly hits a building, it won't blow up, it's just going to unconvincingly shake around or drip to the side like the cardboard it is.

BatDan

Sunday Drive 45

Chase...
They weren't kidding. His core blew up and everything.
Now I'm wondering about the scans for the Ghost crossover. Will he be rebuilt?
Banno is so god damn twisted, definitely one of the best KR villains.

Two more episodes (three counting the Ghost crossover).

Oh yeah, we finally got the context of that scene in the opening with the Tridoron avoiding spikes. I'm surprised that was something saved for endgame.

NeonZ

Sunday Drive 45

Chase...
They weren't kidding. His core blew up and everything.
Now I'm wondering about the scans for the Ghost crossover. Will he be rebuilt?
Banno is so god damn twisted, definitely one of the best KR villains.

Two more episodes (three counting the Ghost crossover).

Oh yeah, we finally got the context of that scene in the opening with the Tridoron avoiding spikes. I'm surprised that was something saved for endgame.

There are two crossover episodes. Ghost is debuting in episode 47. It probably also will be story related, since it's by Sanjo and the title seems related to Heart. 48 will be by Mori and might be standalone though.

Regarding Chase,
he still should have a backup of his memories in the Proto-Drive Shift Car. A back up has been used to bring back a Roidmude before too.

ahdurian

Drive 45

• Loved the Triples in this episode
  • Banno is batshit crazy
  • Chase...
    I think that he'll come back via the Ghost episodes. Ghost will probably have some way of restoring him, but I'm assuming he'll come back as an actual human and not a Roidmude

vareon

Then the problem is the same. If you see the recent Ultraman series, probably from Zero onwards, the Ultramen fight with way more agility then they were in past series, to the point that it doesn't feel like giants fighting. Being a giant no longer adds anything to the series' appeal other than that's what Ultraman is.

WarRock

Surprise Sunday Drive 45
MAXIMUM SPIDER!
Surprise
Hayase
!
Gou
being saved by Roidmudes twice
!

So much justice being delivered this episode.

shaowebb

I really need to unsubscribe on Facebook from the Kamen Rider feed. They're posting fucking spoilers in giant text and videos that autoplay.

I really need to unsubscribe on Facebook from the Kamen Rider feed. They're posting fucking spoilers in giant text and videos that autoplay.

Best thing I've ever done for myself. You'll feel a lightness upon your shoulders knowing that your Kamen Rider experience will be pure as the driven snow or some shit like that.

In other news,
HOLY SHIT! THEY DIDN'T PUNK OUT ON CHASE! Even saying that there's no way he won't be back in some way.

Looking like I won't get my Kamen Rider Kiriko wish until the movies. Makes sense now that I think about it. They should've let her continue to shoot and boot Roidmudes. Does she even still wear those shoes still?

Tiu Neo

Maybe Chase
returning
on the Ghost special will be a one shot thing? Something like
we'll need your help, then he comes back to life once more, and "dies" again at the end?
Kinda like what happens on certain sentai movies with (early 2000s sentai spoilers?)
dead ex-members, like Mikoto or Shurikenger.

NeonZ

Maybe Chase
returning
on the Ghost special will be a one shot thing? Something like
we'll need your help, then he comes back to life once more, and "dies" again at the end?
Kinda like what happens on certain sentai movies with (early 2000s sentai spoilers?)
dead ex-members, like Mikoto or Shurikenger.

There's also the Movie Wars though. It'd be kind of odd to bring him back twice like that so quickly.

Also, it's not a "Ghost special", Ghost will be in two episodes, one by Sanjo (the main writer) and another by other writer. So, it's probably not a single two part story.

Also, regarding Movie Wars and series spoilers for Drive...

Black versions of Heart, Brain and Medic apparently will be in the movie, which seems to basically confirm that all three are dying. Chase isn't there though. Yet again suggesting that he'll end up alive.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/NeonZ/Kamen Rider/KamenRiderMW_2016_01_zpshmdj4d2j.jpg

NeonZ

Is the Drive movie canon? Aren't Chase and Ghost in it?

The Drive movie took place before episode 43 (Roidmude 108 was listed as dead in that episode already). Apparently it might have taken place right after episode 41. Ghost appears in the movie, but Shinnosuke doesn't meet him there.

Watch Da Birdie

Oooh, can't remember the last time OT had both Drive and Ninninger out by Sunday.

But hey, did anyone think the opening of Drive was...odd?

Like Gen just nonchalant told us that, oh yeah, Shinnosuke, Gou, and Chase probably died. But everyone was oddly calm.

Hayase coming back was a nice surprise, and sort of justified his absence. I wish they could've got Harley back as well and had him contribute to the second Drive Pit too...

Top Bottom