• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I gotta wonder...is the stuff about all the Secondaries being playable a mistake?

All the scans I've seen just show the main Hesei/Showa Riders. I've seen nothing about secondaries---heck, I haven't even seen Drive.

Watch Da Birdie

Oh good, I saw it "New Commer".

Weird G3 is G3-X...I figured that'd be his base form and G3-X his Ultimate.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
COhEvr3UAAELkQC.jpg:large

COhEv5wUkAE2UiT.jpg:large

COhEwGiVEAAY0P5.jpg:large

COhEwUgUAAAGj6m.jpg:large

dat badass walkoff

Faiz

Finally started watching Gaim on my commute today. Really wasn't sure about the fruit theme and the street dancing crew stuff is kinda off putting but the locks are kinda cool and the mystery of the lore with the othe dimension and origin of the locks has me kinda hype.

Looking forward to finally seeing this show.

Tiu Neo

dat badass walkoff

Oh god, I hope they bring this one west.

Finally started watching Gaim on my commute today. Really wasn't sure about the fruit theme and the street dancing crew stuff is kinda off putting but the locks are kinda cool and the mystery of the lore with the othe dimension and origin of the locks has me kinda hype.

I'm watching it too, and up to where I am, it's only getting better.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Any chance Bandai would do a non dubbed but translated digital only release of Batttlride in the west?

Nooooo way.

I know they localized J-Stars Victory Vs when half the cast is obscure manga characters, but the other half are majorly recognized characters like Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, and Joseph Joestar.
Kamen Rider doesn't have that.

Tiu Neo

Nah they changed it, Japan gets it in november, rest of the world 2016 spring

Better. More time to get some money for it.

Any chance Bandai would do a non dubbed but translated digital only release of Batttlride in the west?

Don't think so. Is there any country in the west where Kamen Rider is popular? Then maybe we could get a Saint Seiya situation, where the game is translated on certain regions.

BatDan

I mean they did release JoJo's Bizarre games over here, and I can't imagine their that big here

JoJo's manga and anime are getting released here too.
Unless Crunchyroll (or someone else) decides to simulcast Ghost, then Battride War is staying in Japan.
Though I would love a KR simulcast.

Toei HATES Western fans.

They region locked the Ghost PV on YouTube.

Also their really weird behavior regarding Dragon Ball Super.
No simulcast, and they won't bring up Funimation.

WarRock

Jojo is way more known than Rider, specially with the anime. Jojonium is being released in the US, some people kinda remember part 3 thanks to the Capcom game (that got rereleased some time ago too)...

Tiu Neo

Well, we will get Kamen Rider Black on Netflix here on Brazil, so...

Eh, still no chance. At least we got a "fanssubed" Saint Seiya released here.

Faiz

JoJo's manga and anime are getting released here too.
Unless Crunchyroll (or someone else) decides to simulcast Ghost, then Battride War is staying in Japan.
Though I would love a KR simulcast.

Also their really weird behavior regarding Dragon Ball Super.
No simulcast, and they won't bring up Funimation.

Jojo's games were on tap before the recent popularity explosion. Hell, even the Dreamcast game came over like 15 years ago.

The thing is, you can almost never tell for sure. All you can do is look at trends and history. Sadly for Kamen Rider there's no reason to believe anything is changing on that front... But in the larger canon of Japanese game releases, strange unexpected things sometimes happen.

Watch Da Birdie

I don't really want Kamen Rider to explode in popularity tbh.

I like how niche it is...and I know some fans of JoJo don't exactly like the influx of new fans either haha...

Nah they changed it, Japan gets it in november, rest of the world 2016 spring

Guess who's importing a copy of Segata Sanshiro Stars in Project X Zone 2: Brave New World?

Nope. We aren't a vocal enough minority for it to even be considered. Unless they can get all those rights sorted out and localization on the cheap for it so they can turn a profit it'll never happen.

This is why I wish the Asian versions were translated into English. You get a version of the game in a language you're comfortable with and none of those pesky license issues you'd have to deal with otherwise.

Faiz

I don't really want Kamen Rider to explode in popularity tbh.

I like how niche it is...and I know some fans of JoJo don't exactly like the influx of new fans either haha...

Yeah, must really suck to have those new hardcover manga collections readily available. 😓

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Seriously, English-speaking Rider fans are such a small minority as to be virtually nonexistent in Toei's eyes. I disagree with the notion that Toei "hates" western fans, they just don't acknowledge them.

BatDan

Doesn't help that the last Rider release around here was Dragon Knight, nobody outside the Rider fandom remembers it.

At the same time, they want to forget it exists.

Seriously, English-speaking Rider fans are such a small minority as to be virtually nonexistent in Toei's eyes. I disagree with the notion that Toei "hates" western fans, they just don't acknowledge them.

It would take a miracle for KR to catch on in the West. Something like a higher up at Warner Bros seeing Kamen Rider and saying "I want that on American TV" and funding an adaptation with heavy advertising.

But like I said, miracle.

Watch Da Birdie

Whoa, once again Toei shows off how much they really think through each motif...

You guys remember how we were all legit shook when it was revealed Ghost would ride a giant Iguana into battle? Felt really weird and non-sensical---well, it turns out it all perfectly plays into the "third eye" motif...

Iguanas can range from 5 to 6 feet (1.5 to 1.8 m) including their tail. The two species of lizard within the genus Iguana possess a dewlap, a row of spines running down their backs to their tails, and a tiny "third eye" on their heads. This light-sensing organ is known as the parietal eye, visible as a pale scale on the top of the head, and cannot make out details, just brightness.

Mind. Blown.

Gaim is the poster child of "these early shots and synopsis don't do the show justice".

BatDan

All you need to know about Gaim is "Written by Urobuchi Gen".

It's funny how the idea of "bringing in new fans would suck" was brought up when Gaim did exactly that.
We saw a bunch of Madoka and Fate/Zero fans suddenly watch Gaim because Urobutcher's name was attached, and those same fans watched Drive and said it sucked.
... I guess they weren't really new KR fans, just anime fans that want dark & edgy shit.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
For KR to succeed they need to go a more anime approach to the storytelling and ditch the two week format. Basically what gaim did.

NeonZ

We saw a bunch of Madoka and Fate/Zero fans suddenly watch Gaim because Urobutcher's name was attached, and those same fans watched Drive and said it sucked.
... I guess they weren't really new KR fans, just anime fans that want dark & edgy shit.

Drive likely would have made a better impression if they didn't wait half of the series before starting the actual story. Drive was very mediocre while it stayed as an episodic show focused mostly on the Roidmude of the 2 weeks, and only really improved when it changed focus to the main story during the identity reveal arc. It even took a while to start using those episodic stories to give some actual characterization to the secondary cast. A police show using monsters, rather than human criminals, as antagonists was just a bad idea.

Faiz

All you need to know about Gaim is "Written by Urobuchi Gen".

I wasn't sure how much he'd really be involved. I've been in wait-and-see mode on most KR for years now, though, and the first looks weren't encouraging regardless of who was attached to it.

Aldnoah Zero started off decent and then... Bye bye Buchi :/.

For KR to succeed they need to go a more anime approach to the storytelling and ditch the two week format. Basically what gaim did.

100%

Tiu Neo

I remember when Toku was popular here. It was pretty cool, and easy to get things like toys, soundtracks and even (bad quality) comics. Back then, I had Flashman, Winspector and Kamen Rider Black toys, all available on local stores!

So, yeah, I wouldn't be sad if that happened again.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Gaim worked as intended, I really want a Gaim belt to annoy my boyfriend with.

Fwiw the gaim series of toys are the best of the nichiasa shows in prolly the lat 5 years. DX Lock Seeds are great even on their own.

Its a shame that the eyecons for Ghost are basically fancy Forze switches. No lights or sounds unless you have the belt. Blarghz

Watch Da Birdie

Try playing Mario Maker and not thinking about the Fourze Driver everytime you put down an item.

alvmew

I wasn't sure how much he'd really be involved. I've been in wait-and-see mode on most KR for years now, though, and the first looks weren't encouraging regardless of who was attached to it.

Aldnoah Zero started off decent and then... Bye bye Buchi :/.

100%

Well Urobuchi wrote 44 of the 47 episodes, so definitely don't sweat that. Gaim is so good. :3

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To be honest though, I am liking Drive more than Gaim. Drive just feels better structurally, and honestly I feel Shinosuke is a better Rider than Kouta.

Slayven

Gaim and Drive has broken the KR streak of amazing beginning, meddling middle, and then "Oh shit we got to wrap this up" ass pull endings. Fourze and Double are exceptions, but the W ending was dragged down by the Foundation X tie in.

ReiGun

Gaim toward the end was just...rough. Which is weird to say about a kid's show starring fruit samurai, but it's the truth. It was so miserable and tense by the end. I don't think Drive is as well written by comparison, but it's still well done and a much easier watch by comparison.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gaim was a nice change of pace, story-wise. Right below W on my list of favorites.

Now please, no more grimdark Rider for at least five years.

It's funny how the idea of "bringing in new fans would suck" was brought up when Gaim did exactly that.

Drive's opening 20 pretty much dropped the ball on keeping those new Gaim fans happy.

Hell, I dipped out of Drive until you folks said it got better and I'm a long-time KR fan.

Top Bottom