• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Tiu Neo

Boukenger vs Super Sentai:

Ohhhh, so that's where a lot of Gokaiger came from. Pretty cool movie, Magiranger is the only series of the ones featured here that I still didn't watch.

Hurricanger spoilers?
wait, when did Furabijou die?

NeonZ

Boukenger vs Super Sentai:

Ohhhh, so that's where a lot of Gokaiger came from. Pretty cool movie, Magiranger is the only series of the ones featured here that I still didn't watch.

Hurricanger spoilers?
wait, when did Furabijou die?

She hadn't died. She was just sent to the Dino Earth in Abaranger vs Hurricanger.

Tiu Neo

She hadn't died. She was just sent to the Dino Earth in Abaranger vs Hurricanger.

Yes, that's what I remember.

Maybe it's a fansub error (it's TV-N after all), or maybe it's just "lol, we don't care". I think it's the second case, since
they use the engine to resurrect her, apparently.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I go away for like two months and this is all crazy. A bunch of new people (hey welcome! we needed more of you) and Doggie goes and gets himself banned. And for Pokémon reasons!

Hope it's not a long one.

I came to a natural stopping point on the episode before the Surprise Future movie and, for a second, I thought about waiting for it to be released before continuing the series. I'm so glad I didn't: Drive is really amazing in the end run. Sadly, it's the end run. :( I hope Surprise Future comes out quicker than the Kamen Rider GP. Now, to find some time to watch ToQ #7...

vareon

Yo Drive so gooooooooooooood.

Random two things I liked about Drive's final arc is that the main villain's plan is to
turn human into data, which was established possible since the very beginning of the series thanks to Krim
and Heart
became an ally but not a hero, unlike Chase. He's just reeeeally pissed off at Banno.

Kurita

Kamen Rider 3

Alright, now we have Banana Rider. I wonder if Baron dude will become Kouta's ally or if they'll just be rivals for a while. Safe to assume they'll have to fight together at some point.
Really digging it so far, the bike race didn't make a lick of sense though.

Faiz

Kamen Rider 3

Alright, now we have Banana Rider. I wonder if Baron dude will become Kouta's ally or if they'll just be rivals for a while. Safe to assume they'll have to fight together at some point.
Really digging it so far, the bike race didn't make a lick of sense though.

Honestly I thought they were gonna joust.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It's really too bad Drive couldn't have been as strong as it is now back when it started. I pretty much tuned out after ToQ and NinNin for most of the series after the boring first 10 or so eps. (basically when they kept putting off the chase thing over and over)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Drive 46

OVERDRIVE!
I'm surprised Heart is going to be the final boss next week, but it looks like more of a symbolic fight than anything.

What was Riku Sanjo doing for the first half of the show? Did he only have enough material for 25 episodes and just dragged his feet until the halfway point?

WarRock

Drive 46
O V E R D R I V E
Chase died for your sins, Gou!
Not sure how I feel about Medic's sacrifice, seems like a cheap way to make Heart the last remaining Roidmude before the final showdown between he and Shinnosuke.
Machase suit confirms that hybrid suits aren't designed at all.

Going to say one more time: strongest ending for a Rider series. May top Agito for me in this department.

Anyone get a Rio and Mele lite vibe from Heart and Medic?
Not really. Mele was better written and had better chemistry.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
That's what I meant by lite. They're not nearly as well thought out as Rio and Mele.

The rivalry between Shinnosuke and Heart is only brought up a handful of times. It's barely a thing

WarRock

I would say that Heart won't shut up about it, but the problem is that the rivalry is one sided. Shinnosuke never answered it, like Takeru did to Juuzo.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I would say that Heart won't shut up about it, but the problem is that the rivalry is one sided. Shinnosuke never answered it, like Takeru did to Juuzo.

It honestly feels like heart admires tomari more than it does a rivalry. Theyve gone head to head a few times, but they get along well despite that.

WarRock

Up until a certain point, yeah. When the Roidmudes numbers started to dwindle, Chase went to the human side and Ultimate Evolutions started to matter, I would say that changed somewhat.

NeonZ

Glad we learn the fate of all Roidmodes, insstead of being teased. I am looking at you Unicorn, Queen, and Ocean dopants

Huh? Those Gaia memories were all destroyed. We just never saw their Dopant forms (in the same way many Roidmudes never evolved into unique forms). If anything, you should be talking about Hell, Zero, You, Bean, Time, Orange and others teased in the first couple of episodes but never actually used.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Drive 46

That fight against
Gold Drive was hype. Banno's death was cool, too.

The end is near ;_;

It's kind of weird though...

Seemed sort of dumb for Banno to brag about how he could easily upload himself to a new body, while in such a fragile piece of equipment. If he would've just shut up Gou probably wouldn't have realized it...but I guess that's the point, perhaps.

javadoze

Banno's a premium Bandai exclusive. He's got the right to brag. (I actually wonder if they're going to have his voice actor record lines for every single shift car and signal bike for the toy?)

Drive 46

-Not too big of an episode. But then again, the fight between Gold Drive and Mach was pretty great. I appreciate Banno's voice and suit actor's performances for giving us a fun villain to watch.

-And so the police and the blinky rider suits...
aren't being used at all, aren't they?

-The preview has me curious with
how much time they're actually going to spend fighting Sigma and then the fisticuffs Heart fight.

-Finally, as a side note, I just noticed that Type Tridoron only used about 3 of its 7 tire mixups for the entire show up to this point... It kinda boggles my mind how we didn't have Shinnosuke thinking of using the Grand Prix tire mixup considering they're from his penultimate power-up and all.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
-Finally, as a side note, I just noticed that Type Tridoron only used about 3 of its 7 tire mixups for the entire show up to this point... It kinda boggles my mind how we didn't have Shinnosuke thinking of using the Grand Prix tire mixup considering they're from his penultimate power-up and all.

RIP American Dream

Tiu Neo

Seemed sort of dumb for Banno to brag about how he could easily upload himself to a new body, while in such a fragile piece of equipment. If he would've just shut up Gou probably wouldn't have realized it...but I guess that's the point, perhaps.

A bragging bastard
until the end, heh. I love how, even at that situation, he was like "The world needs my genius!".

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's because the Tire Combinations use the base Tires, and we never saw the Amazing Circus component of American Dream.

Same reason while we never saw Tough Guys (no Traveler) or Weather Report (no Commercial or Solar). Grand Prix oddly enough has all the components, but who knows why they skipped it...

Type Tridoron has sort of jobbed since his awesome debut honestly...

NeonZ

Same reason while we never saw Tough Guys (no Traveler) or Weather Report (no Commercial or Solar). Grand Prix oddly enough has all the components, but who knows why they skipped it...

I think the actual reason is because they need to make new props for Tridoron's tire combinations, and I guess they hit their budget limits. Even though they had used those three individual tires, the combination still would need a new prop.

javadoze

I think the actual reason is because they need to make new props for Tridoron's tire combinations, and I guess they hit their budget limits. Even though they had used those three individual tires, the combination still would need a new prop.

Between Gold Drive and Mach's
Chaser form
, I guess we can safely say the production team has overrun their rubber tire budget.

Movie War Ghost/Drive or bust.

vareon

I think Type Tridoron is the only final form that uses additional props outside of the available gadgets? I mean Cosmic States or Kiwami Arms can use all the weapons but they don't actually create a combination of those weapons. They're simply saving budget, methinks.

Or maybe they're just too tired to create a new prop.

Faiz

Not sure I'm gonna be able to stick with Gaim. I was hoping the dance team stuff would give way sooner than later, and the constant seemingly increasing level of slapstick is wearing thin. Currently on episode 10, gonna push through a little longer because everyone loves it and even I thought it showed promise but man I'm having a hard time with it...

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Not sure I'm gonna be able to stick with Gaim. I was hoping the dance team stuff would give way sooner than later, and the constant seemingly increasing level of slapstick is wearing thin. Currently on episode 10, gonna push through because everyone loves it and even I thought it showed promise but man I'm having a hard time with it...
You are so close to the part where it stops sucking. I was disappointed with the first batch of episodes too but a certain episode you're coming up on justified the stuff I didn't like. I think it's ep 14

Kurita

Kamen Rider Gaim 4-5

5 riders heh
Didn't expect the two other leaders to get belts, they seemed kinda scrubby. Their suits aren't bad though. Not a fan of Grape Rider (forgot his real name), he's a bit annoying, I don't like this kind of characters. Still having fun though.

WarRock

Not sure I'm gonna be able to stick with Gaim. I was hoping the dance team stuff would give way sooner than later, and the constant seemingly increasing level of slapstick is wearing thin. Currently on episode 10, gonna push through a little longer because everyone loves it and even I thought it showed promise but man I'm having a hard time with it...
Dude, just keep at it, you are almost there.

Kamen Rider Gaim 4-5

5 riders heh
Didn't expect the two other leaders to get belts, they seemed kinda scrubby. Their suits aren't bad though. Not a fan of Grape Rider (forgot his real name), he's a bit annoying, I don't like this kind of characters. Still having fun though.
Ornac is love.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oh man Drive was awesome, I am gonna miss it when its over. Though Ghost looks really interesting and I can't wait to watch it.

Banno downfall is the fact he is so arrogant and believes that no-one can ever stop him.

Just keep going, the real story will be kicking in soon.

WillyFive

I miss those types of episodes, honestly. I know everyone else disagrees though.

BatDan

Honestly I think Gaim is the worst possible series to start out with.
Not saying it's bad, far from it. But a lot of what makes Gaim work is that it's a deconstruction of Kamen Rider, and a lot of the great moments come from being familiar with KR in general. I watched Double, OOO, Fourze, and Wizard before getting to Gaim and it all worked in the end. Where those four series had optimistic tone and endings, Gaim was the opposite, going out of its way to tear down the positive. While at the same it tells you to buy the latest Lockseeds. In stores now!

Personally I feel Double or Fourze make better starting points. You get a good sense of what KR normally is and they're just great shows overall.

Also, avoid Wizard. He may look cool, and the fight scene maybe awesome, but it's a slog of a series with boring characters.

Kurita

Kamen Rider Gaim 6-7

I sincerely hope Acorn and Pinecone dudes will become more important cause I already love them. Bravo is half-fun half-obnoxious, I'll be happy to see him getting his ass kicked.

BatDan

Ninninger 29

What's this a I spot? A plot? Has Ninnin finally found its foothold?

Kyuuemon being a boy just baffles me. Now he's a feminine looking fox with a woman's voice. Was it the Yokai that took him over that made him look and sound like that? I imagine we'll get answers.
I hope the dad gets his powers back and he becomes the 7th Ninninger.

javadoze

So the 1st Quarter (roughly April to June) earnings report from Bandai just came out and it seems that Ninninger + DinoCharge combined toy sales are on track to surpass Kamen Rider Drive. That said, Ninninger's Q1 toy sales were weaker than ToQger's.

Seeing how Ghost (and the rest of Ninninger, for that matter) will perform in that area will be interesting to say the least.

Finished Kamen Rider Decade along with the Decade/W movie. Not sure how I feel about this series, I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either. Movie had some cool sequences though.

WarRock

Not saying it's bad, far from it. But a lot of what makes Gaim work is that it's a deconstruction of Kamen Rider, and a lot of the great moments come from being familiar with KR in general. I watched Double, OOO, Fourze, and Wizard before getting to Gaim and it all worked in the end. Where those four series had optimistic tone and endings, Gaim was the opposite, going out of its way to tear down the positive. While at the same it tells you to buy the latest Lockseeds. In stores now!

Personally I feel Double or Fourze make better starting points. You get a good sense of what KR normally is and they're just great shows overall.

Also, avoid Wizard. He may look cool, and the fight scene maybe awesome, but it's a slog of a series with boring characters.
Not really? Have you watched pre Decade stuff or read Ishinomori manga (either the original or Black)?

I miss those types of episodes, honestly. I know everyone else disagrees though.
I miss the whole ranking and teams rivalry aspect too.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 29

I like where the story is going. Hope dad gets his powers back.

And the enemy shuriken has gone... somewhere. Those apprentices will come back, won't they?

Blue Buster next episode!

jonjonaug

Honestly it felt like Gaim was the closest that Kamen Rider has been to Ishinamori's original vision in quite some time. Urobuchi is a fan of the manga versions of Rider and it really shows in Gaim's content. If anything it's W and Fourze that are the aberrations, particularly Fourze.

Top Bottom