• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Faiz

Gaim was a nice change of pace, story-wise. Right below W on my list of favorites.

Now please, no more grimdark Rider for at least five years.

I don't mind the occasional shiny happy goofy KR, but I'd be happy if we only got one of those every five years haha.

Doesn't have to be all gritty grimdark, just prefer it to tend toward gravity and away from levity.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't mind the occasional shiny happy goofy KR, but I'd be happy if we only got one of those every five years haha.

Doesn't have to be all gritty grimdark, just prefer it to tend toward gravity and away from levity.

Oh, I'm not saying we should have goofy Rider every year. Far from it. Just more like W or OOO or Drive. I actually don't care much for happy goofy Rider. A good balance of levity and gravity is preferable.

Slayven

Gaim toward the end was just...rough. Which is weird to say about a kid's show starring fruit samurai, but it's the truth. It was so miserable and tense by the end. I don't think Drive is as well written by comparison, but it's still well done and a much easier watch by comparison.

No one won in Gaim, they just managed not to lose.

vareon

I wasn't sure how much he'd really be involved. I've been in wait-and-see mode on most KR for years now, though, and the first looks weren't encouraging regardless of who was attached to it.

Aldnoah Zero started off decent and then... Bye bye Buchi :/.

100%

Urobuchi had way more involvement in Gaim than he was in Aldnoah. That and producer's interview right before the show started was a good indicator of what Gaim is going to be, but I agree this isn't visible to casual fans.

Best info we had on Drive before, in the other hand, was "we won't forget the good changes brought in Gaim."

Haven't heard anything on Ghost.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
No one won in Gaim, they just managed not to lose.

its amazing how such a colorful show ended so raw. youd expect things like that from faiz, because of how it starts, but it would be like kuuga taking a sharp ass turn midway and getting all fucked up. i mean it was fucked up, but the core characters were pretty untouched

Faiz

Urobuchi had way more involvement in Gaim than he was in Aldnoah. That and producer's interview right before the show started was a good indicator of what Gaim is going to be, but I agree this isn't visible to casual fans.

Best info we had on Drive before, in the other hand, was "we won't forget the good changes brought in Gaim."

Haven't heard anything on Ghost.

That was my point though. He did have way more involvement, I just had doubts about him actually staying on for the long haul. Aldonoah was just an example of looking forward to the show based on Urobuchi and then getting let down after he bailed.

But seriously the real reason I missed out on Gaim for so long was more about real life commitments intruding and being distracted. Even with my reservations I'd probably have at least given it a chance had I not had a newborn and in the middle of an intense house hunt for most of the time it was airing.

JadanSheridan

Neo Member
That's how you're seeing this? How would that image make people like him, exactly?

The main focus of the picture is not the towers, nor the NY skyline. It's JDF's Ranger. That's the problem. If he had just posted a picture of New York and said "We will never forget" it wouldn't be an issue. But because it's focused on him it becomes tacky and tasteless.

WarRock

He should hire someone with basic design skills, that typography combo in addition to the bad shopped illustration (that has glows and shit contrasting the text even more), ugh.

jonjonaug

It's funny how the idea of "bringing in new fans would suck" was brought up when Gaim did exactly that.
We saw a bunch of Madoka and Fate/Zero fans suddenly watch Gaim because Urobutcher's name was attached, and those same fans watched Drive and said it sucked.
... I guess they weren't really new KR fans, just anime fans that want dark & edgy shit.

As someone who was brought in by Gaim, this sort of thinking kind of annoys me. Although I had been planning on getting into Kamen Rider for a while before Gaim was announced, I did go through the rest of the franchise and watched the shows that sounded interesting. By which I mean, I watched a Youtube video of all of the main Rider henshin scenes and picked out shows based on the ones I liked. I watched Black, Amazon, W, and OOO while Gaim was airing and I enjoyed all of those. If I had to rank them, I'd go by Gaim>Black>OOO>Amazon (first half)>W>Amazon (second half).

Then I tried watching Fourze and couldn't make it past episode 20 or so. It didn't really have any of the things I liked about Kamen Rider going for it, and the two part structure which was present in W and OOO became super grating with episodes where the monster somehow gets away despite being only a few dozen meters away from the main character and nothing stopping him from going after it. I liked some of the side characters, but found the main character to be boring compared to other Kamen Rider main characters, lacking the intensity of Black and Amazon, Gaim's relatability, or the interesting and somewhat mysterious backstories of W and OOO.

Hearing that Drive was immediately going back to the two part structure turned me off of it. I didn't really like what I saw of the Drive characters in the Gaim x Drive film either (way too goofy, the acting felt terrible when put on directly after Gaim, and I was literally on the verge of falling asleep during and after that portion of the film until Kaito showed up near the end), so I haven't really had any incentive to pick it up. Ghost sounds like it might be cool though, so I'm looking forward to Drive finishing up so that can get on the road and I can check out the first few episodes.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Gaim wasn't grimdark. It just wasn't goofing around with tryhard comedy attempts and the plot had actual stakes and progression as opposed to meandering about.

(Talking about Wizard here mostly than Drive - I haven't watched much of the latter).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*rewatches the Ghost preview*
*sees comments are people shitting on Power Rangers*
... What? Where did that come from?

BatDan

It's all power rangers to the unenlightened

Feels that way...
It makes sense to call Super Sentai "Power Rangers" (even Bandai does that in their annual reports), but it's annoying when Kamen Rider, Metal Heroes, and even Ultraman are called "Power Rangers"

WarRock

Doggie D=

By which I mean, I watched a Youtube video of all of the main Rider henshin scenes and picked out shows based on the ones I liked. I watched Black, Amazon, W, and OOO while Gaim was airing and I enjoyed all of those. If I had to rank them, I'd go by Gaim>Black>OOO>Amazon (first half)>W>Amazon (second half).
That's the way to go, IMO.

Faiz

Gaim wasn't grimdark. It just wasn't goofing around with tryhard comedy attempts and the plot had actual stakes and progression as opposed to meandering about.

(Talking about Wizard here mostly than Drive - I haven't watched much of the latter).

It's pretty obvious I like the grimdark riders but yeah, the comedy I've seen in Gaim so far has felt natural and on point. Loved Kota's stupid grin and excitement when getting ready to transform. I know that would legit be me if I found a belt hahah.

BatDan

Dino Charge 11

Gold Hype!
Sir Ivan finally appears, too early to decide what I think of him, but he's not bad so far.
It seems they're not going the "Fury is living armor" route, and Ivan was somehow trapped inside him.
Seeing Gold's first fight here just reminds me how amazing Kyoryu Gold Iza is, and that Noam Kaniel needs to be replaced.

Poor Tyler, seems the search for his dad will continue further. If it ever concludes since the actor playing him passed away and they might leave it open-ended.

Interesting development for Prince Phillip
which is needed since I know he becomes the Graphite Ranger

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Pfft, get Saban to come in and do the music himself.

Okay, that would never happen these days, but man I miss his music from way back in the day. Dude's really talented.

alvmew

So the Drive ep on the 27th will be a Ghost cross over right? Cause I can't see them extend the end game for 3 more eps

Yes. Ghost will appear in the episode on the 20th in a more minor role iirc (like a super quick teaser/cameo) before the episode on the 27th (final of Drive) which will be more of a full-fledged crossover.

Tiu Neo

Just watched the Go-Busters wrestling episode. What a weird episode, it' probably one of my favorites, hehe. It's strange how the series tone changed, halfway through.

Funny how Go-Buster Oh became Go-Buster King and Go-Buster King became Go-Buster Oh, on O-T's subs.

Slayven

Just watched the Go-Busters wrestling episode. What a weird episode, it' probably one of my favorites, hehe. It's strange how the series tone changed, halfway through.

Funny how Go-Buster Oh became Go-Buster King and Go-Buster King became Go-Buster Oh, on O-T's subs.

OT made that ep godlike

yami4ct

Just caught episode 45 of Drive. Man, this show is incredible. I've liked it since the beginning, but once it got going it's seriously sped into greatest of all time territory for me. This episode is really indicative why I like the show much more than I ever dug Gaim. Sad to see it coming to a close, but if it keeps this up it'll likely pass W as my favorite Rider. I don't have much more to say than that. Just, wow.

Faiz

I just discovered almost my entire Kamen Rider Black folder is gone. I have no idea how this happened.

Not a good way to start the day...

NeonZ

When did Drive get so good?

Episode 25, I'd say. Status quo changes, most old subplots are finished by then or only return later in very different forms, it also introduces a new antagonist who completely takes over the show for a while too. Just look at the promised number,
which in the first half of the show was referenced as just a generic evolution of the Roidmudes without anything specific about it, but in the 2nd half it's a very specific concept, giving a sense of progression as it approaches.

The show improves in some ways even before that though, like giving more focus to the other SCU team members in the last few two parters before that one, but it still had many of the same flaws, which are mostly fixed after episode 25.

20+. 21 is probably the first episode where everything comes together. Drive, Mach, Dead Heat, Chaser, Medic, and the appearance of Type Formula really kick things off.

That was still in the middle of the really slow
"Chase is brainwashed... again."
story though.

Kurita

Haven't watched some Toku in a looooong time, I kinda miss it.
Heard Kamen Rider Gaim was great show so I might try that. How's the current Super Sentai season ?

WarRock

I just discovered almost my entire Kamen Rider Black folder is gone. I have no idea how this happened.

Not a good way to start the day...
golgom.jpg

ReiGun

Heard Kamen Rider Gaim was great show so I might try that. How's the current Super Sentai season ?

Ninninger is very meh with occasional hints at greatness.

Edit: Random, but regardless of what I thought of the show, the ToQger have easily the best sentai pose.

bKME1hA.gif

The one with #7 is even better; I just have gotten around to making that gif. lol

Tiu Neo

I kinda liked the Volt arc, of the earlier episodes. But yeah, it gets really good after he gets Formula and
Mashin Chaser
is defeated.

Meh story, so-so characters, good action. Very cool mechas. Not one of the best series, but not that bad, imo. Last episode was good, maybe it'll get better?

If you like the other Ninja sentais, there is at least one episode you'll want to watch.

Kurita

Kamen Rider Gaim 1

Street dance, Pokémon battles, fruits, a big corporation with an annoying DJ. Okay!
Not much to say right now since it's the first episode other than the fact that I dig the costume. MC seems likeable so far.

alvmew

That fight in the newest Drive was amazing.
Still salty about the Chaser!Mach suit, but whatever.

Kamen Rider Gaim 1

Street dance, Pokémon battles, fruits, a big corporation with an annoying DJ. Okay!
Not much to say right now since it's the first episode other than the fact that I dig the costume. MC seems likeable so far.

I cannot recommend Gaim enough. The things I would keep in mind when watching it are:

(1) The tone of the show changes very quickly - the first dozen episodes set up the premise, but the dancing and Pokémon battles will not be around to stay, so if you end up getting tired of them a few episodes in, then know it'll get better, and hell, even if you do like them, the show more than makes up for their absence.

(2) If you haven't been spoiled about the twists and turns in the story, try not to get spoiled. Live watching this show was so good.

(3) The Gaim Gaiden #1 movie (Zangetsu/Baron) that is out technically takes place after episode 20 even though it was made and released after the end of the show. You might want to watch it there, but at the same time, the last like 5-10 seconds of the Baron portion are a major spoiler.

Gokaiger was actually my first Sentai show! Absolutely loved it. Watched like ten episodes of Kyoryuger when it started. I should finish it... Was it a great show?

Kyoryuger was a fun show. Sure, it gave too much focus to Red and ended with a certain plot point that came out of nowhere, but I definitely recommend it. Fantastic action.

Kurita

Thanks! Gonna watch episode 2 and 3 of Gaim tonight. I'm going in blind, the only thing I know is that a lot of people enjoyed it so I can't go wrong.

BatDan

Dino Charge 12

Nickelodeon posted the episode early on their site. Oops.
I decided to watch it anyway, I'll use spoiler tags just in case.

Ivan kicks ass. They play up the "fish out of temporal water" aspect really well. The "Knights of Amber Beach" bit was great.
The Rangers without their bravery was a bit over-the-top though...
Pretty fun episode overall.

'Tis Morphin Time!

Top Bottom