• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Not really? Have you watched pre Decade stuff or read Ishinomori manga (either the original or Black)?

Really now. Now it makes sense.
I know Kuuga has good subs (right?) The rest not so much (though I know Ryuki, Blade, and Den-O are getting non-shit subs)

NeonZ

Honestly I think Gaim is the worst possible series to start out with.
Not saying it's bad, far from it. But a lot of what makes Gaim work is that it's a deconstruction of Kamen Rider, and a lot of the great moments come from being familiar with KR in general. I watched Double, OOO, Fourze, and Wizard before getting to Gaim and it all worked in the end. Where those four series had optimistic tone and endings, Gaim was the opposite, going out of its way to tear down the positive. While at the same it tells you to buy the latest Lockseeds. In stores now!

Personally I feel Double or Fourze make better starting points. You get a good sense of what KR normally is and they're just great shows overall.

If you go back and watch Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz and Blade you'll see a tone much closer to Gaim though (but with less action). Due to Den-O's success and Shirakura's departure as the main producer of Heisei Rider tv series, there was a change in the style of the Heisei Riders, like what you saw from W and on. Gaim was an attempt at going back to that earlier style, in spite of having to deal with more intrusive toy promotion than in those earlier shows.

Faiz

If you go back and watch Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz and Blade you'll see a tone much closer to Gaim though (but with less action). Due to Den-O's success and Shirakura's departure as the main producer of Heisei Rider tv series, there was a change in the style of the Heisei Riders, like what you saw from W and on. Gaim was an attempt at going back to that earlier style, in spite of having to deal with more intrusive toy promotion than in those earlier shows.

The glory days.

I didn't make headway on Gaim today because I ran out of time and didn't get anything loaded on my iPad :/

WarRock

Honestly it felt like Gaim was the closest that Kamen Rider has been to Ishinamori's original vision in quite some time. Urobuchi is a fan of the manga versions of Rider and it really shows in Gaim's content. If anything it's W and Fourze that are the aberrations, particularly Fourze.
W is kinda a good spirited version of the "original tale", Fourze certainly is the aberration, as is Den-O (that I may watch now that someone else is subbing, even though I still hate the suits!).

Ninninger 29

I like where the story is going. Hope dad gets his powers back.

And the enemy shuriken has gone... somewhere. Those apprentices will come back, won't they?

Blue Buster next episode!
Hey, maybe I should catch up with Ninnin!

Faiz

W is kinda a good spirited version of the "original tale", Fourze certainly is the aberration, as is Den-O (that I may watch now that someone else is subbing, even though I still hate the suits!).

Hey, maybe I should catch up with Ninnin!

Fourze is not only an aberration in style and tone, it's an aberration in how much I loved it.

BTW, everyone here? We're buds now.

Tiu Neo

I remember when GAIM was about pokémon battles and dancing.

Now it's about
genocide and how Kouta killed one of his friends.

Holy shit, didn't expect that.

yami4ct

I remember when GAIM was about pokémon battles and dancing.

Now it's about
genocide and how Kouta killed one of his friends.

Holy shit, didn't expect that.

I know I'll get shit for this, but I think that transition is very much a hugely weak part of Gaim. The transitions between the arcs in general are really weak for me. It's like Urobuchi has an idea of where he wants each arc to go, but has no clue how to connect them.

Also, I will never forgive Gaim for it's treatment of its female cast. Ugh. I like the show quite a bit, but that specific part makes me want to never go back to it again.

vareon

That's the more reason why Gaim is a bad entry point. Kamen Rider hasn't been structured like the early Heisei for a long time, with Gaim specifically stated that it's going to be similar to those. Most of the materials now following the W structure, which means someone who entered KR because of expectations set by Gaim would only have 4-5 other series to enjoy instead of 10+.

BatDan

It's kind of funny how Kamen Rider is like Doctor Who in that there's several good starting points.

You could go hardcore and start from the beginning.
You could go with Black (which is kind of a different starting point of its own)
You could go Heisei with Kuuga
You could go Heisei Phase 2 with Double.

Many options to choose from.

WarRock

Everybody should start with the first arc of Kamen Rider Spirits.

Fuck yeah Magnificent Seven kicking ass through the globe!

Tiu Neo

Hmmm, just a few episodes left of both GoBusters and Boukenger. I think next I'll watch one sentai and an older Kamen Rider series.

Is there any decent subs for Black? I remember liking it a lot back then, maybe I'll watch it again.

Pluto

Or maybe Gaoranger, I like the theme song. Is the series any good?
It's fun, not one of my favorites though. It's very similar to Power Ramgers Wild Force if you've seen that, some scenes in Wild Force were shot for shot remakes. I liked the characters in Gaoranger more, especially Gaored.

The best part are the mecha imo, the cgi looks a bit dated but it really wowed me back in the day, it was the first time the mecha looked alive. To this day I think it's the sentai that dealt with their mecha zoo the best.

Tiu Neo

It's fun, not one of my favorites though. It's very similar to Power Ramgers Wild Force if you've seen that, some scenes in Wild Force were shot for shot remakes. I liked the characters in Gaoranger more, especially Gaored.

The best part are the mecha imo, the cgi looks a bit dated but it really wowed me back in the day, it was the first time the mecha looked alive. To this day I think it's the sentai that dealt with their mecha zoo the best.

Kamen Rider Black and Gaoranger it is, then.

Never saw Wild Force, so it'll be all new to me. Last PR season I watched was... In Space, I think. Some episodes of Lost Galaxy, then Time Force.

WillyFive

Gaoranger sucks. It's boring and bland. Because Wild Force was a straight up shot-by-shot remake, it also sucked.

What you want to watch is Timeranger, possibly the best Sentai out there (next to Jetman).

BatDan

Of the 12 seasons of Sentai I've fully seen, Gaoranger was the worst.
it was a boring slog with unmemorable characters. It also majorly changed how Sentai operated to the due immense amount of money it made. Gone were the stylish Megazords of the 90's, now it's time for the clusterfucks to place more and more add-ons.

Also, whose bright idea was it not to have the characters refer to each other by their real names?

Gaoranger sucks. It's boring and bland. Because Wild Force was a straight up shot-by-shot remake, it also sucked.

What you want to watch is Timeranger, possibly the best Sentai out there (next to Jetman).

No no, the internet says Jetman sucks
I love Jetman

I agree with Timeranger though, absolutely loved Timeranger and Kuuga that year, I was always excited to get my tapes in whenever my penpal sent them.

Tiu Neo

So, no Gaoranger, then. Timeranger I want to watch, but last time I checked I couldn't find the complete series, so I was waiting for O-T. Did someone else sub it?

And hey, Jetman is one of my favorite series, together with Abaranger.

BatDan

So, no Gaoranger, then. Timeranger I want to watch, but last time I checked I couldn't find the complete series, so I was waiting for O-T. Did someone else sub it?

And hey, Jetman is one of my favorite series, together with Abaranger.

There's a group called RedRogueRanger, but from I've heard those are "guess subs", in that they just guessed what they were saying. Probably the worst way to watch the show.

OT is going slow, only at 21.

Tiu Neo

There's a group called RedRogueRanger, but from I've heard those are "guess subs", in that they just guessed what they were saying. Probably the worst way to watch the show.

OT is going slow, only at 21.

Yeah, I'll watch something else, first. I liked Time Force, so Timeranger is one of the series I always wanted to watch, but it's better if it's with quality subs.

Eh, still a few episodes to go, of the current series, still have some time do chose.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Eh, Wataru was sort of like that...he was always whining about being a Kamen Rider. There were like...multiple episodes where he retired temporarily.

He was such a weird lead. Whenever he became Kiva he was basically a totally different person, and I rarely remember him ever speaking as Kiva on that note. Coolest suit in the series and awesome attacks...but sulkiest protagonist.

yami4ct

I think Wateru was a pretty interesting Rider. I like the idea of responsibility thrust onto someone completely unequipped to handle it. I don't think Kiva used him well, but still a cool idea.

Pluto

So, no Gaoranger, then.
Why don't you watch the first few episodes and decide for yourself? While there are many better sentai Gaoranger really isn't that bad. And the fact that it doen influence sentai to this day makes it worth watching imo.

You want to talk about a bad sentai with boring characters? Watch Zyuranger, that was hard to get through.

Tiu Neo

Wataru was... strange. I like him, but most of the series is like he is another person when transformed. That was even stranger on the first few episodes, where Wataru was clumsy, weird and shy.

Why don't you watch the first few episodes and decide for yourself? While there are many better sentai Gaoranger really isn't that bad. And the fact that it doen influence sentai to this day makes it worth watching imo.

You want to talk about a bad sentai with boring characters? Watch Zyuranger, that was hard to get through.

Eh, maybe. I was asking for recomendations, so I could watch the "must watch" ones first, but my objective is to watch every sentai, so one day or another I'll do that, anyway. And Gaoranger at least has that awesome theme song.

Already watched Zyuranger a year ago. Was watching Kyoryuger and Abaranger at the same time. Man, that was a chore, and comparing with those two series only made it worse. I ended up watching the last 5 or so episodes at once, so I could finally finish it.

Watch Da Birdie

Agito did the same thing, but I thought they communicated it better---you clearly saw Shouichi go into a trance when he transformed...Wataru confused me because he'd just go from a whiny dude to a cold-blooded fighter with no in-between. I also never figured out if when he used the Arm Monsters, did they actually possess him since he'd act differently when using them?

Still though, in the first episode Kiva hung upside down from a metal bar and boxed with the monster---can't hate that.

Faiz

I'm through Gaim episode 14. Things are looking up (not crazy about the Soda based Genesis Drivers though). Planned to get through 16 today but slim chance I'll have time.

Reishiki

Banned
I'm through Gaim episode 14. Things are looking up (not crazy about the Soda based Genesis Drivers though). Planned to get through 16 today but slim chance I'll have time.

Shinichiro Miki as the Genesis Drivers/Energy Lockseeds is the second best thing after the Faiz belt.

LEMON ENERGY

Pluto

Eh, maybe. I was asking for recomendations, so I could watch the "must watch" ones first, but my objective is to watch every sentai, so one day or another I'll do that, anyway. And Gaoranger at least has that awesome theme song.
Well, I liked Gaoranger but I definitely wouldn't call it a "must watch", Timeranger would be one but as others have said, it hasn't been completely subbed yet, so unless you watch raws that's not an option at the moment.
Personally I also like to mix it up a bit, because I always fear that watching all the greatest ones in a row will make the average ones look worse than they are.

My personal "must watch" list consists of:

Bioman
Changeman
Flashman
Maskman
Jetman
Kakuranger
Megaranger
Timeranger
Dekaranger
Gekiranger

There are other great ones but those are my personal favourites.

Tiu Neo

Well, I liked Gaoranger but I definitely wouldn't call it a "must watch", Timeranger would be one but as others have said, it hasn't been completely subbed yet, so unless you watch raws that's not an option at the moment.
Personally I also like to mix it up a bit, because I always fear that watching all the greatest ones in a row will make the average ones look worse than they are.

My personal "must watch" list consists of:

Bioman
Changeman
Flashman
Maskman
Jetman
Kakuranger
Megaranger
Timeranger
Dekaranger
Gekiranger

There are other great ones but those are my personal favourites.

Of this list, the ones I never watched are Bioman, Mega and Time. Maskman and Changeman I watched more than 20 years ago. Flashman too, but I rewatched it a month ago.

Well, I think I'll go with Gao, anyway, while O-T doesn't sub Time. If I don't like it, I'll just watch it anyway, even Zyuranger had some good parts (Burai and the last few episodes).

vareon

I think Wateru was a pretty interesting Rider. I like the idea of responsibility thrust onto someone completely unequipped to handle it. I don't think Kiva used him well, but still a cool idea.

Wataru would be really cool if he's consistently written. Initially I thought he's a reluctant Kiva, inheriting a power he never wished, being possessed by the monsters, etc. But then the series happened.

Maybe I should rewatch the series. I've been thinking about it quite a while.

Watch Da Birdie

Wataru would be really cool if he's consistently written. Initially I thought he's a reluctant Kiva, inheriting a power he never wished, being possessed by the monsters, etc. But then the series happened.

I'm hoping Ghost motivates someone to re-dub Kiva, because I too wanna rewatch it.

Did anyone notice in the PV of Ghost that aired at the end of Drive last week, the song playing sounded just like Kiva's "battle theme"? You know, the really cool rock-violin solo that played when he fought?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Honestly I think Gaim is the worst possible series to start out with.
Not saying it's bad, far from it. But a lot of what makes Gaim work is that it's a deconstruction of Kamen Rider, and a lot of the great moments come from being familiar with KR in general. I watched Double, OOO, Fourze, and Wizard before getting to Gaim and it all worked in the end. Where those four series had optimistic tone and endings, Gaim was the opposite, going out of its way to tear down the positive. While at the same it tells you to buy the latest Lockseeds. In stores now!

Personally I feel Double or Fourze make better starting points. You get a good sense of what KR normally is and they're just great shows overall.

Also, avoid Wizard. He may look cool, and the fight scene maybe awesome, but it's a slog of a series with boring characters.

Who told you Kamen Rider is supposed to be positive? In the old Kamen Rider, the hero turning to justice because of a tragedy was a key part of the premise and in the new Kamen Rider... well we started off with Kuuga and Agito and it really wasn't until Den-O that sentai-like approach to storytelling started to settle in. Probably larger trends at play since sentai experienced similar sways in tone at the same times. And yeah, there were toy commercials anyway! I suppose it's silly to expect an Agito at this point in time but even Gaim wasn't all that in comparison. It had a heavy theme or two. Early Heisei was made of them.

While perhaps an outlier in modern times, Gaim is hardly a deconstruction. A deconstruction would be when the villains send in the troops at once instead of playing games and the army shows up, and it gets all Akira on you. A deconstruction would be a shows about a situation when the hero actually isn't in the right (pussyfooting around the idea doesn't count). A deconstruction would be when Shocker is actually a threat as opposed to "let's superimpose black flags over sweeping shots of Tokyo". You get the idea.

WarRock

Deconstruction would be if Gaim actually went with the warlord themes and we got a war between each Rider faction with horses and shit like the first episode teased )))=

In a more serious note, was there any other Rider that
had to kill multiple non villains to succeed?
Yeah, one could argue that
not every Shocker monster was a volunteer (and I'm pretty sure some dudes in Black became monsters as punishment or similar)
, but still... Gaim handled it with a whole another tone when compared, to something like (Fourze spoiler)
Aquarius Zodiarts

NeonZ

Deconstruction would be if Gaim actually went with the warlord themes and we got a war between each Rider faction with horses and shit like the first episode teased )))=

Kaito had a faction by the end, but, yes, the prologue implied that it'd be much larger, not just two Riders.

In a more serious note, was there any other Rider that
had to kill multiple non villains to succeed?
Yeah, one could argue that
not every Shocker monster was a volunteer (and I'm pretty sure some dudes in Black became monsters as punishment or similar)
, but still... Gaim handled it with a whole another tone when compared, to something like (Fourze spoiler)
Aquarius Zodiarts

There were a few times where we got to see the victims kidnapped by Shocker before being turned into their slaves in the original series. Sometimes in those episodes they ended up knocked back into recovering their consciousness, but other times they were just killed. Usually though, the reasoning given was that they were already dead, and so the Riders couldn't do anything but destroy Shocker's monster.

Super-1 had something similar with the main Dogma Kingdom commander, General Megirl,
who's eventually revealed to have been the first subject of a surgery to become a space exploration cyborg, but it left him deformed and everything was hidden from the public. He went insane afterwards and almost killed himself, but Terror Macro, Dogma Kingdom's leader, convinces him to join them in order to have his revenge. After learning his identity, Super-1 manages to convince him to stop, only for him to get his consciousness erased by Terror Macro and then fight to the death against Super-1.

Black turns that conflict into a central plot with Shadowmoon, rather than just a random monster of the week or commander whose backstory is introduced fairly late. However, most of Black's monsters outside of Shadowmoon and the commanders weren't humans at all, but rather animals transformed into monsters. There's an episode late into the series where Black destroyed the place where they created their monsters.

There's also Black RX, where in the end,
RX never manages to save Crisis people, and so 10 billion humans from an alternate Earth are killed in the finale when their world is destroyed alongside the Crisis Emperor. Although in RX's case it's basically just bad writing - the writers even stop showing sympathetic people from the Demon/Kaima world once they introduce the idea that saving both worlds is impossible. And there's little attention paid to Crisis' tragedy in the final episode, aside from the reveal that it's an alternate Earth and the same could happen to Earth in the future.

Kiva had a lot of good ideas, but then had problems as the series went on.

Top Bottom