• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Tiu Neo

Filters could work, I remember In Space and I think LG did that.

Depends on their budgets, too. A bit of work could give good results without green screen. That, or repeated 3D models, a la Ex-Aid, lol.

Tiu Neo

Finished Goggle V.

This... is probably my least favorite sentai up to now. It took long enough, but Zyuranger lost that position.

It has some good things - It still has a bit of that old sentai cheapness that makes it a bit more entertraining to watch. I like the way they explain the giant enemies.

But... it's a lot less crazy and weird than Sun Vulcan. I like the villain suits, but the villains aren't that good or menacing. The mentor only shows up on three episodes - I counted - and didn't really do much.

The characters weren't bad - I kinda liked them - but they weren't very good too. They were a bit less exaggerated than previous series, which is not that good for a series with not so much content. Some characters had interesting episodes, but that was it.

Content was a problem here. Yeah, you could say all sentai are formulaic at some point, and at this point there weren't as many tropes defined, so the series had to be carried by something. Normally, the characters, or a good plot. But here everything is so "meh", it ends up being boring. The whole series could have 10 episodes and it would probably still have all the good moments and a bit of filler.

Worth watching? Only if you really really like older sentai, and has already watched everything else.

Now... what to watch next? I'm divided between either watching Gingaman, or watching something different in toku. Or maybe even The Hero Yoshihiko, it looks fun.

Goggle V is ok. Dynaman does it better and still has Junichi Haruta as Black. Goggle V at least had decent fight scenes that were refined in Dynaman, then got neutered from Bioman on.

Jeffrey

i always loved GGV/lightspeed rescue zords.

ladder punches is good. Also loves how it causes massive explosions from walking, because firefighters.

The train mecha was pretty hype as well.

Jeffrey

caught up on Ex-aid and yeah these suit upgrades are...

whats the upgrade frequency looking like according to the toy catalog?

With the amount of riders in the cast this season, its like every eps is a 'new form!' episode so far lol.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
when do you think are they gonna show Kyuranger officially?

caught up on Ex-aid and yeah these suit upgrades are...

whats the upgrade frequency looking like according to the toy catalog?

With the amount of riders in the cast this season, its like every eps is a 'new form!' episode so far lol.

new toys isn't really new nowadays since Fourze, the early eps really are shilling to the max

it's a good thing the toys so far are shared throughout the riders, so we never have the usual "left out never used" problem other KRs have

Tiu Neo

Goggle V is ok. Dynaman does it better and still has Junichi Haruta as Black. Goggle V at least had decent fight scenes that were refined in Dynaman, then got neutered from Bioman on.

I think Goggle V fights weren't as good as Sun Vulcan, at least on the fun factor, but yeah, it's still better than what came after. The problem is that it doesn't really do the things the sentai before and after it did as well.

Bioman had a better plot, pacing, more likeable characters, and a bit more of variation, even if the fights weren't so good.

Still have to watch Dynaman (no subs), but I like the suits. I liked Goggle Black when he got the focus, so it's an extra. Junichi Haruta is another of those actors that did a lot of things, huh?

So are there subs avaible for early sentai. I want to go through and watch every sentai, but not sure if it's all subbed.

Kinda? Some have, but most are incomplete. Depending on what languages you speak, you may have better luck with older series.

WarRock

I'm on my parents house and got to watch Ex-Aid 9 and Zyuohger 38-39 in a big nice TV... damn, they look GOOD.

But screw my impressions, I'm here just to laugh at the lv99 Ex-Aid scan, what the fuck is that, it's glorious. Lv1 Suika Arms!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Interesting they're already showing Ha-oh Shurikenjin, along with Lion Ha-oh's solo form.

If I had to guess? They either didn't want to sell the sword as a morpher...OR a certain Red Ranger killing his roommate with a sword might have made things difficult.

Actually I heard Bandai forced it. They just really wanted to sell that toy.

Jeffrey

wonder if the transitions will be better this time.

Dino charge stuff was surprisingly bad for powerrangers. Like the warehouses and environments look really different from the sentai footage lol.

must be the filming locations.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Dino charge stuff was surprisingly bad for powerrangers. Like the warehouses and environments look really different from the sentai footage lol.

are they still filming power rangers in new zealand?

BatDan

thats the multi tool weapon from ninninger right? the one they used a handful of times?

Yeah, this thing.

I guess they couldn't get the same ones as Disney

are they still filming power rangers in new zealand?

Yeah. Which is weird since the whole point of Disney doing it was to save money on a show they didn't really want. I guess Saban is just that cheap.

I think Goggle V fights weren't as good as Sun Vulcan, at least on the fun factor, but yeah, it's still better than what came after. The problem is that it doesn't really do the things the sentai before and after it did as well.

It was very very average on everything that it did, which is why it was very forgettable save for Haruta's stuntwork.

Bioman had a better plot, pacing, more likeable characters, and a bit more of variation, even if the fights weren't so good.

By far! This was the real start of the extended plot/storytelling and other such things that we would start to see in future Sentai. Dynaman would sort of start this, but not until the middle, when
Zenobia shows up and Meggido is banished. Dark Knight shows up at the same time. It's found later that Dark Knigt is actually Meggido. He's actually better as Dark Knight than he was as Meggido.

Still have to watch Dynaman (no subs), but I like the suits. I liked Goggle Black when he got the focus, so it's an extra. Junichi Haruta is another of those actors that did a lot of things, huh?

He really was one of the JAC's top men it felt like. I really enjoyed his stuntwork and his acting in Dynaman/Goggle V and of course Juspion as Mad Galant... which I'm excited to see he's coming back to reprise his role in Deka vs Gavan. While I did not enjoy Kyoryuger one bit, I did really appreciate the fact that he played Green's dad.... and his mom was played by Sayoko Hagiwara, Dyna Pink!

It's really cool to see Daichi and Dan coming back in the new Ultraman movie.
Also, for the people who are on discord, the live viewing for Mach/Heart is changing to 6:00 PM PST.

Boss Doggie

Reading up impressions on Heisei Generations, and apparently it's pretty good, along the lines of Megamax good. Tomari is pretty much a tertiary protagonist and has good screentime too even, Haruto gets much action too. Shame about Gaim though (only few new lines, the rest are recycled from the show apparently).

WarRock

btkCNem.jpg

WillyFive

Nah, filming locations can be noticed if you are familiar with them, but is not what makes them jarring; it's the colors and camera settings used; they do no work to make footage from both shows seem like they came from the same camera. Saban footage looks less bright and has a lower contrast with less saturation than the Sentai footage. It has been like this since Samurai.

2205400-wall.png

BatDan

It was particularly bad in Dino Charge with Blue and Gold. Their lack of shine was really noticeable.
Then that one episode where Gray/Graphite had blue sleeves.

There's a lot of technical stuff Saban needs to work on. Color correction, audio levels (music is often louder than the dialogue), hell getting better music in general.

NeonZ

The image quality difference was pretty noticeable back during the original seasons too. The Disney years were the closest we got to uniform image quality.

Tiu Neo

It was very very average on everything that it did, which is why it was very forgettable save for Haruta's stuntwork.

Yep. It's at the bottom of my list now, but it's not *really bad*. I enjoyed it more than, say, Kamen Rider Decade. It's just not that good.

Even Zyuranger, that I found quite boring, had some great moments - Machiko Soga and Burai were really good parts of it.

By far! This was the real start of the extended plot/storytelling and other such things that we would start to see in future Sentai. Dynaman would sort of start this, but not until the middle, when
Zenobia shows up and Meggido is banished. Dark Knight shows up at the same time. It's found later that Dark Knigt is actually Meggido. He's actually better as Dark Knight than he was as Meggido.

Dynaman sounds really interesting. I hope someone subs it someday.

He really was one of the JAC's top men it felt like. I really enjoyed his stuntwork and his acting in Dynaman/Goggle V and of course Juspion as Mad Galant... which I'm excited to see he's coming back to reprise his role in Deka vs Gavan. While I did not enjoy Kyoryuger one bit, I did really appreciate the fact that he played Green's dad.... and his mom was played by Sayoko Hagiwara, Dyna Pink!

Wait, wait, I didn't notice Sayoko was Green's mother, lol. She was great on Flashman.

EDIT: I can't watch the movie with you guys today, I have to wake up early tomorrow. But have fun, I liked them!

WarRock

Nah, filming locations can be noticed if you are familiar with them, but is not what makes them jarring; it's the colors and camera settings used; they do no work to make footage from both shows seem like they came from the same camera. Saban footage looks less bright and has a lower contrast with less saturation than the Sentai footage. It has been like this since Samurai.

2205400-wall.png
Nick logo looking like a fine belt buckle there.

The image quality difference was pretty noticeable back during the original seasons too. The Disney years were the closest we got to uniform image quality.

The Disney seasons shared production resources with their Sentai, right? Reshooting some scenes in the same Japanese locations as their counterparts and whatnot.

Boss Doggie

Ahhh so while the M and L thing is a ruse,
Emu being patient zero
is true.

The Disney seasons shared production resources with their Sentai, right? Reshooting some scenes in the same Japanese locations as their counterparts and whatnot.

Yeah they had that in certain Disney seasons.

I finished the Mach/Heart movie today. It was a very enjoyable movie with the side characters given a chance to shine. I think the Heart was one of the best parts of the movie.

Top Bottom