• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Tiu Neo

Hmmm how is jetman, worth a watch?

Echoing the sentiment here, but yes, it is.

It has some weird things I don't like, but it's a solid season with some pretty unique things. If you like 80s sentai, it's worth watching, it still has a lot of them in it.

Jaeger

Man, military based sentai are the best.

wish they'd do more of that.
Ks2N7az.jpg

One of my favorite Rider designs of all time.

Tiu Neo

Changeman was one of of my favorites from the 80's. I hope they finish subbing it so more people can enjoy it.

Changeman wasn't my favorite when I was a kid, but rewatching it, it's kinda incredible. It has 56 episodes, and was before even the second mecha was a thing, and yet the story holds up well without feeling too filerish, in my opinion.

WillyFive

huh, jetman is like ohranger where military orgs blast people with weird radiation to get them powers lol

Except the genius of Jetman was that they were ordinary people, not soldiers. They weren't caricatures either, but written in a J-drama sort of way; Jetman is also credited for creating the modern Sentai fanbase (or more specifically, the formula for maintaining that fanbase) by having it's writing be based on adult dramas (with love triangles and attractive bad boys and all of that). To this day, adult women make up a notable part of the Sentai audience, and it's usually credited all to the Black Condor character. It's actually thanks to writer Takeyuki Suzuki that said he wanted the show to be more "trendy", and the Gokaiger theme song made a reference to it.

Jeffrey

Except the genius of Jetman was that they were ordinary people, not soldiers. They weren't caricatures either, but written in a J-drama sort of way; Jetman is also credited for creating the modern Sentai fanbase (or more specifically, the formula for maintaining that fanbase) by having it's writing be based on adult dramas (with love triangles and attractive bad boys and all of that). To this day, adult women make up a notable part of the Sentai audience, and it's usually credited all to the Black Condor character. It's actually thanks to writer Takeyuki Suzuki that said he wanted the show to be more "trendy", and the Gokaiger theme song made a reference to it.

I can see it. Really dig the cast so far.

Is there no subs for Super Hero Taisen GP rider 3?

Black Condor SH Figuarts hangs out on my desk at work along with Ryuranger and Kamen Rider V3.

Tiu Neo

huh, jetman is like ohranger where military orgs blast people with weird radiation to get them powers lol

You know, I kinda forgot that Jetman was a military sentai, thanks to the whole drama part, lol.

I have to rewatch it someday.

Kokoro Wa Tamago is the best song and I wish you a happy long life for using it.

Yes! Best Sentai ED by a large margin, imo.

Jaeger

Watching those two Next Generation Metal Heroes V-Cinemas. Fantastic. Great choreography. Special effects. I love that they are a bit more violent and adult than your typical Toku show.

My main problem is with the Metal Heroes themselves. As I said before it's really time they retired these costumes. They really show their age. And it's a big disconnect for me and jarring to see these quality villain/monster designs fighting these ancient costumes. I have no clue why they just don't design some new suits. It's frustrating. Still enjoying it however.

WillyFive

Watching those two Next Generation Metal Heroes V-Cinemas. Fantastic. Great choreography. Special effects. I love that they are a bit more violent and adult than your typical Toku show.

My main problem is with the Metal Heroes themselves. As I said before it's really time they retired these costumes. They really show their age. And it's a big disconnect for me and jarring to see these quality villain/monster designs fighting these ancient costumes. I have no clue why they just don't design some new suits. It's frustrating. Still enjoying it however.

Yeah, those two were directed by Sakamoto; which I consider to be the single best director in the genre. He's also directing the next Metal Hero movie, Gavan vs Dekaranger; which is the one Toku thing I am most excited for this year.

javadoze

The Super Hero Taisen films are always at their best when they're not even focusing on the actual conflict itself. Heck, Kamen Rider Taisen drives this home by being a Double/Decade/Faiz Returns special for like the first half of the movie and is all the better for it.

Tiu Neo

I kinda like the Taisen movies. They are fun to watch, even if the story is crap most of the times.

And if you want to talk about nonsense toku movies, we have to talk about the Kabuto movie.

(I actually liked it's explanation for the Zecter than the series own explanation, lol.)

Jeffrey

It's just cool seeing old riders again and their new hairdoos for whatever they are currently filming lol.

Still weird seeing modern riders with all their talking nonsense weapons with the oldies.

WarRock

I kinda like the Taisen movies. They are fun to watch, even if the story is crap most of the times.

And if you want to talk about nonsense toku movies, we have to talk about the Kabuto movie.

(I actually liked it's explanation for the Zecter than the series own explanation, lol.)
Kabuto is a special breed of nonsense, movie or not.

Jeffrey

Might just be me, but sure would be nice for a rider show with multiple riders in which everyone gets equal share of forms and its not just the MC.

Just feel bad that you can literally be screwed for not having 'plot armor'. You can sell more toys too!

Remember when diEnd got complete form in a random dvd special?

Slayven

what was the movie reason for zecters?

NeonZ

Part of it is just a matter of budget. The first new Gavan movie was going for heavy nostalgia bait, and the other ones were straight to video, so the later ones don't have much budget for suits and such. The one "new" Space Sheriff suit in these movies was just a gold repaint of the false Gavan from Gokaiger vs Gavan.

what was the movie reason for zecters?
Future God Speed Love Kabuto gives the belt to child Tendo in the day of the meteor fall, in the middle of the ruins, right before being erased from time. In the tv show, it's just said that Tendo's father gave him that belt during that same moment, even though they had shown Hiyori drawing what looked like Hyper Kabuto in the ruins.

Tiu Neo

Future God Speed Love Kabuto gives the belt to child Tendo in the day of the meteor fall, in the middle of the ruins, right before being erased from time. In the tv show, it's just said that Tendo's father gave him that belt during that same moment, even though they had shown Hiyori drawing what looked like Hyper Kabuto in the ruins.

That. Kabuto's ending was really a mess, but it's still a great series.

Also, in the movie there is this cool scene where Hyper Kabuto alone sends a meteor that would destroy the earth to the past, crashing with another meteor that would evaporate all of the earth's oceans years before that, and saves the world. Only one small fragment of the meteor hits earth, and that is the main series continuity. He also uses that oportunity to give himself the Zecter in the past.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
it's so weird dark kabuto exists in both movie and main series but with different circumstances

Top Bottom