• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If I were to adapt Decade for an American audience, for one I'd turn Decade into Deadpool (fourth wall breaking and everything), and Narutaki would be a blacklisted scientist that created the Decadriver filled with information on all the previous Riders, but a computer error made it sentient and aware that it was fictional. Tsukasa (I'd have another name) would be a Kamen Rider fanboy that already knows a lot, but the influence of the Decadriver would give him the same awareness along with reality warping powers. Narutaki (again, name change) is chasing after Decade to get the Decadriver back and destroy it before it could possibly break reality.

But I know that all sounds really stupid.

Tiu Neo

Narutaki wasn't an audience insert?

Well, after some time I wanted to kill Tsukasa too, so maybe?

If I were to adapt Decade for an American audience, for one I'd turn Decade into Deadpool (fourth wall breaking and everything), and Narutaki would be a blacklisted scientist that created the Decadriver filled with information on all the previous Riders, but a computer error made it sentient and aware that it was fictional. Tsukasa (I'd have another name) would be a Kamen Rider fanboy that already knows a lot, but the influence of the Decadriver would give him the same awareness along with reality warping powers. Narutaki (again, name change) is chasing after Decade to get the Decadriver back and destroy it before it could possibly break reality.

But I know that all sounds really stupid.

Well, that would probably make Tsukasa more likeable in the series. He was at his best when he was silly, and that would give him a lot of chances to do so.

vareon

Narutaki is pretty much "we don't know what to do with this guy" case. It's easy to describe what he did, ut nobody knows why ths story needed him at all.

BatDan

Ghost 19

A Ganma that just wants to paint, not fight or kill. Adding major shades of gray to this conflict (which will only further once Alain does his eventual Face-Turn). Also, I couldn't unhear Trebol from One Piece (same voice actor I know)
Is Makoto's actor off doing something else? Feels weird that he's been stuck in suit for a few episodes.

Is Takoyaki any good? It looks good in the show.

Tiu Neo

Ghost 19

So, another season of not-so-evil enemy groups? Cool, that was well made on Drive and could work well here.

Grandma is a cool surprise mentor, actually. Probably only a few episodes until Alain changes sides, too.

On a side note, Drive had Barbosa. Ghost has Romero Britto. Now I'm sure someone at Toei is a fan of Brazilian pop culture.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I already like Eiji

I wish we get more hobo riders

also in ToQger / Gaim apparently he was "friend to all Riders"

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So apparently these are the current speculated basis for each Ganma I saw on /m/, some apparently have been confirmed by the designer though I'm not sure which...

Sword Ganma = Kojiro Sasaki

Yari/Spear Ganma = Hozoin In'ei (Creator of a fighting style using that weapon type)

Electricity Ganma = Tesla. His ship form is a reference to the Philadelphia Experiment, which is tied to Tesla by some urban legends.

Ax Ganma = Juraj Janosík, the Robin Hood of Slovakia

Book Ganma = Lewis Carroll

Machinegun Ganma = Al Capone

Music Note Ganma = Mozart

Insect Ganma = Jean-Henri Fabre (Insect researcher, thus the lens in the second episode when it's destroyed. Shocker's Bee Woman was part of its visual motif though)

Seiryuto Ganma = Guan Yu (His personal weapon)

Planet Ganma = Yuri Gagarin. Blue planet head is a reference to his famous phrase.

Knife Ganma = Jack the Ripper.

Paint Ganma = Pablo Picasso

More or less what most people thought except the Axe Ganma who I thought was Geronimo...

Boss Doggie

Edison is good guy while Tesla is evil?

Heresy I tell you!

Also when this came out were people making memes?

kAPqrvj.jpg

WarRock

has there ever been an ant based rider?
Super-1. It's probably not obvious as Stronger or V3, but still looks like the motif. One of the best looking helmets too.

@Boss Doggie
Ankh, Date and Cakeboss were born as memes. The same with Eiji underwears, Hina super strenght and lots of moments that happen in the restaurant. By the way, what's up with your new avatar, that head looks so small for the body :V

Ghost 19
A Ganma that makes 3D stuff 2D then. Heh. Not sure who was based the real abstract painter? This being Japan though... maybe it's just a poor man's Picasso.
Which makes the Britto comparison even more funnier.
. There were better ways to go to reinforce the eye motif like they were doing with the pantings/ganma design, but whatever, still a cool design. I can't avoid wondering what art movements would happen in the world of the dead now.

"Your opinion is unnecessary as it is ghoulish" is such a great line.

I'm also glad that Kanon isn't a background character anymore, though she still is a piece of cardboard.

The victim of the week is the guy from this toku documentary, isn't he? He's doing a Rider/Toei piece maybe?

Watch Da Birdie

I thought this episode of Ghost was honestly pretty lame, the Painting Ganma came off as annoying and I couldn't care less about Takeru befriending him---hopefully it will pay off next week.

The parts with Alain though were the highlight and what is really pushing the show forward right now, the King Ganma seems like he'll be pretty cool and I'm looking forward to seeing how the family drama play out. But jesus christ, that Sanzo Dai Kaigan attack was creepy as fuck.

delSai

Ghost 19
Episode was alright, i like the painter Ganma and the fact that he didn't want to kill. Plus his ability is kinda cool. My favorite moment was when Alain asked Specter questions who nodded to everything and Alain just looked kinda sad. Soon he'll get what a "friend" really is and join the heroes.

I also finished W earlier today, enjoyed it alot. Next up: Fourze.

Zynx

Ghost 19: I'm happy we're getting some interesting plot development, but even when shows push the 'not all monsters are bad and out to kill humans' angle, they always die at the end. And that CG. Yikes.

I'm quite liking Ghost at the moment. I don't think the writing is all that great, but I like how the story/plot is progressing and I like where it's heading.

Takeru is still the least interesting character right now, but I like that they're trying to make him a mediator and that he wants to create a dialogue with the Ganma. Onari is da bess. Akari is like Rinna but not annoying, she's like the Japanese Dana Scully but more kid friendly.

All the good stuff revolves around the Ganma, of course. Alain is gonna get a face-turn. Sage is a Ganma and is secretly a good-bad guy or bad-good guy, and has history with Takeru's dad. Alain's brother is looking to stab his family in the back, I get a feeling he'll end up as the endgame villain or close to it.

I like it more than Drive at the same point, but obviously Drive got very good very quickly.

Watch Da Birdie

Ghost 19
Episode was alright, i like the painter Ganma and the fact that he didn't want to kill. Plus his ability is kinda cool. My favorite moment was when Alain asked Specter questions who nodded to everything and Alain just looked kinda sad. .

I really liked that scene too, reminded me of Go-Busters where Enter became very upset when Escape became an empty shell.

Boss Doggie

so scans of Ghost's final form? is out

...it looks so hilariously silly and awesome at the same time

Boss Doggie

Well if this is his "mid season upgrade", I wonder what the final one would be.

I find it weird though that both Formula and this incorporate the "all of the collectables" as part of the design. You'd think it'd be in the final form like Cosmic States and Fruits Basket.

I find it weird though that both Formula and this incorporate the "all of the collectables" as part of the design. You'd think it'd be in the final form like Cosmic States and Fruits Basket.

This is like All Dragon in Wizard. His final will probably be an upgrade of his own soul, like Boost. His ascension into one of the great Heroes.

Boss Doggie

Oh right, I forgot All Dragon.

Still, I am so not used to that. I always see the "all abilities displayed in suit" as some sort of final form.

vareon

This is like All Dragon in Wizard. His final will probably be an upgrade of his own soul, like Boost. His ascension into one of the great Heroes.

Kind of apt considering Mugen/Infinity.

Also we remember Infinity came literally from Haruto's tearzs.

BatDan

Oh right, I forgot All Dragon.

Still, I am so not used to that. I always see the "all abilities displayed in suit" as some sort of final form.

That's only been a thing since Fourze. Though four years in a row is quite a lot.

vareon

That's only been a thing since Fourze. Though four years in a row is quite a lot.

He has a point in saying "of some sort" I think,though in older forms it's usually about the weapons. Perfect Zecter uses almost every Zecter and Kiva Emperor can use all weapons at a whim.

BatDan

He has a point in saying "of some sort" I think,though in older forms it's usually about the weapons. Perfect Zecter uses almost every Zecter and Kiva Emperor can use all weapons at a whim.

Fair point.

It will be interesting to see where they go (go go go) with Ghost

Boss Doggie

I'm still calling it that humans are zyumans

after all, humans are animals hohoho

Fair point.

It will be interesting to see where they go (go go go) with Ghost

It's been a while but in Double it was Eternal who has the "all memories" right, not the heroes?

vareon

I'm still calling it that humans are zyumans

after all, humans are animals hohoho

It's been a while but in Double it was Eternal who has the "all memories" right, not the heroes?

Xtreme's Prism Bicker uses the other 4 Gaia Memories outside of Cyclone and Joker, but that might be kind of a stretch. I think the point is for the last gadget to interact with the earlier toys a some kind of closure, though this isn't really a pattern.

Watch Da Birdie

It seems Grateful can summon the Legendary Heroes to fight for him...

Also Ghost x Zyougher crossover incoming.

WarRock

Ghost right now is where it should have been 10 episodes a go
No Rider show moves that much in the first 9 episodes though.

I'm glad that the "all of the collectibles at once" isn't the final form. Tridoron > Formula in all aspects.

Boss Doggie

Just finished OOO.

Man what a rollercoaster, and man you really feel for Ankh.

I'm glad that the "all of the collectibles at once" isn't the final form. Tridoron > Formula in all aspects.

Hilariously enough, Formula doesn't have the "all collectibles at once" in its attack, yet its design has it (the stickers of all the cars). Tridoron has "all collectibles at once" yet it doesn't have it in the design.

Top Bottom