• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

WillyFive

Super Charge Red's morph is so bland, I don't get why Saban doesn't 'get' poses. Same with voice -over work. Despite being talented actors, the VO work is always horrific.

Delio

Man that episode of Dino Charge is kind of mixed with me. On one hand "yay Aqua is here" Also I love the villian interactions so far. On the other hand where the hell was Tyler's Dad this entire time? Hiding as he says? Why? I hope they explain it.

Also I have to echo others in saying why is Kendall not helping in battles at all? More original ground footage and she is nowhere to be seen. Also the Super Charge mode kind of came out of thin air and I miss how fun Kyoryu Carnival was :/

WarRock

Kamen Rider ZO

So a small group called Weeaboo Shogun subbed this. It was translated by Sailor Otaku and timed by MegaAnon so I knew it was legit.

Decent movie. Pretty much a 5 episode story arc condensed into 45 minutes. Great creature effects including a freaky looking stop-motion spider. Also a bat. Man, KR loves their Spiders & Bats.
Wait, ZO wasn't subbed? Pretty sure I watched it, the enemy design is fucking awesome.

Kamen Rider ZO

So a small group called Weeaboo Shogun subbed this. It was translated by Sailor Otaku and timed by MegaAnon so I knew it was legit.

Decent movie. Pretty much a 5 episode story arc condensed into 45 minutes. Great creature effects including a freaky looking stop-motion spider. Also a bat. Man, KR loves their Spiders & Bats.

Creature effects/design by Keita Amemiya, so understandably awesome. Also a lot of cameos by different tokusatsu actors, Kenji Ohba, Naomi Morinaga, Masaru Yamashita.... Also it was kinda funny to see Hiroshi's actor play the good kid that year when he was playing Akomaru at the same time in Dairanger.. plus his dad was portrayed by Isao Sasaki haha...

So now that there is a bluray version of Kamen Rider ZO, when are we going to get a remaster of the Mega CD game, huh? Who's with me here? *crickets chirping*

Remember that rumor about Gaim? Protagonist was an actor at feudal Japan, and each samurai clan was based on a Rider? Each clan leader had a sword (or two) with the respective Rider power, and the protagonist would win some of those?

That was a great idea.

Remember Kamen Rider Break? And how similar it is to Ghost. Minus all the dancing, which ended up in Gaim.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, looking at all of the Kamen Rider openings...

...Blade is still the weirdest to me.

Just a bunch of riders doing battle poses... in some sort of rave party.

That's not a thing.
*looks it up* Holy crap it's a thing, and it came out in America

Redundant title though. "The Masked Rider: Kamen Rider ZO".

NANI?!

*lol* I love it when people first find out about it :)

"It.. it what?!"

I'm more surprised it had an official American release.

Lol at all the surprised responses regarding the ZO game. It was pretty bad obviously, your standard Dragon's Lair style type of game but yeah, it exists. And that dubbing on the US version! I used to own the US ver years ago but sold it. My friend and I ran into it again recently at a flea market just this last year.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Slayven

so is this the first sentai villain group that has nothing to do with the heroes and their source of power?

It also gives me the feel they won't be around that long

WillyFive

so is this the first sentai villain group that has nothing to do with the heroes and their source of power?

The villains and heroes having the same source is a Rider thing, not a Sentai thing.

NeonZ

Usually the only connection between Sentai heroes and villains is that something related to the heroes stopped the villains in the past, not the same power source or origin (although there are a few cases like that too, like Gekiranger, but those are an exception).

A lack of connection between the two forces used to be more common in the 80s and early 90s - for example, the Jetman had no backstory ties to their villains, but I guess pretty much every modern Sentai has their backstory tied to the villains somehow.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The villains and heroes having the same source is a Rider thing, not a Sentai thing.

At least with the last two they had similar powers/widgets. Shadlow line were train people too, whoeveer the bad guys in ninninger had shuriken things. It's not a common thing tho

Boss Doggie

I think the idea is that the villains in Sentai either share the same thing with the heroes, have something related to the heroes (i.e. origins of the heroes are tied with villains) or are opposed in the theme of the heroes (i.e. pollution vs nature themed heroes)

I don't think the villains of Zooger fit either of the three. Hell, even Turboranger had "do not pollute planet otherwise you won't have fairies stopping an evil race" that managed to have the origins tie to the villain. Even Gokaiger had been screwing Zangyack prior to the show's timeline. Furry Sentai have absolutely no ties.

...unless of course they put a twist midway.

Nah don't worry, it doesn't exist.

Let me link you to Sparkman, however, a Korean ripoff of the metal hero genre done in the late 80's early 90's..

Hahahah holy shit

Tiu Neo

Usually the only connection between Sentai heroes and villains is that something related to the heroes stopped the villains in the past, not the same power source or origin (although there are a few cases like that too, like Gekiranger, but those are an exception).

A lack of connection between the two forces used to be more common in the 80s and early 90s - for example, the Jetman had no backstory ties to their villains, but I guess pretty much every modern Sentai has their backstory tied to the villains somehow.

Maybe it's this way as a homage to older sentai, since it's the anniversary season.

javadoze

I hope Zyuohger's villains' motivations remain simple. It's been awhile since we've had villains who want to kill innocent people just for their own amusement with not much of an overarching goal in mind.

WillyFive

With Rider, the origin of the heroes tend to be tied with the villains; but for Sentai the choice of villains tends to tie in with the choice of theme for that year.

For example, since ToQger was based on trains, the henchmen were designed to look like train robbers, and the villains were rich barons.

With Zyuohger, the theme is about square shapes (as in 4 sides, to go with the anniversary); therefore the villains are opposing shapes, like triangles (the warships) and circles (the coins). With the Minecraft-inspired designs also have the villains have other videogame inspired themes as well.

The dynamism between heroes and villains in Sentai are usually simply based on design, unlike Rider where it's based on story (Rider 1's powers are from Shocker, Fourze's powers come from Cosmic Power just like the enemies, etc.).

Boss Doggie

Not to mention Riders tend to be "becoming" the villain. From the cyborg-turned-good to ghosts.

...though I guess Drive managed to avoid becoming a Roidmude. I think Kuuga too. Was Agito a Linto too? Blade was using Undead powers so I guess ot counts. Kabuto was not a Worm.

Was Agito a Linto too? Kabuto was not a Worm.
The Lords from Agito are related to the Linto, and Agito's power comes from the Overlord Of Light.

The Zecters were made by the Natives to protect them against enemies like the Worms. Technically, apart from Mishima, they weren't really bad guys.

NeonZ

The Lords from Agito are related to the Linto, and Agito's power comes from the Overlord Of Light.

The Zecters were made by the Natives to protect them against enemies like the Worms. Technically, apart from Mishima, they weren't really bad guys.

The Native higher ups were bad guys. It's just that they're rather forgetable because they don't even get unique forms and are killed like nothing in the finale. I can't even remember the name of the main Native that negotiated with Mishima about transforming him into one and making him the new leader of Zect.

Boss Doggie

Also I guess RX shouldn't count too, since the powers are still from the now-dead Golgom. Granted it was Crisis's fault that the kingstone mutated into two, but still!

WarRock

Nah don't worry, it doesn't exist.

Let me link you to Sparkman, however, a Korean ripoff of the metal hero genre done in the late 80's early 90's..
His posing needs a lot of work hahaha.

Not to mention Riders tend to be "becoming" the villain. From the cyborg-turned-good to ghosts.

...though I guess Drive managed to avoid becoming a Roidmude. I think Kuuga too. Was Agito a Linto too? Blade was using Undead powers so I guess ot counts. Kabuto was not a Worm.
Agito was all about evolving until reaching that point. And Drive used powers created by the same guys that created the Roidmudes - Protodrive was one, and even he went from villain to hero again.

Boss Doggie

Oh right, I forgot about that aspect.

I think we should summarize each.

Rider 1 and 2 - cyborg kaijin Shocker was making
V3 - so it seems 1 and 2 turned him into a cyborg
X - the engine didn't originate from the bad guys as it was invented by his dad
Amazon - armlet which is a twin artifact of sorts
Stronger - same as 1 and 2 I think?
Skyrider - same as 1 and 2 as well?
Super 1 - I think the Rider form is based on martial arts?
ZX - same as 1 and 2 from what I read
Black - chosen by Golgom, has Kingstone in him
Black RX - Kingstone was destroyed, he was thrown away by Crisis to the Sun but because they are idiots and forgot he is the fucking BLACK SUN, the Kingstone not only was revived, but is now split into two

movies I am clueless

Kuuga - the belt was something that fought against the Grongi right? memory is missing
Agito - the dude is representing the highest achievement of human evolution right?
Ryuuki - Riders have their own mirror monster
Faiz - dude is an Orphenoch even prior to getting Faiz belt
Blade - undead power of the original undead winner
Hibiki - they are onis trained to fight yokai
Kabuto - I think Tendou was a human regardless of being god mode, though yeah Zect technology is from another race
Den-O - possession by a bunch of Imagin, enemies are also Imagin
Kiva - dude is part-Fangire
Decade - being a destroyer of worlds I guess him being an anomaly is fitting in some sort of way
Double - powers are Memories, something Dopants want
OOO - powers are Core Medals, PuToTyranno almost turned him into Greed
Fourze - Switch magic is used by both sides
Wizard - I forgot, never finished this
Gaim - Lockseeds are used by everyone, they are actually fruits, it's a game of Risk from a DJ's pov
Drive - AI powers used by everyone
Ghost - everyone uses ghost powers

What are the chances Takeru is becoming Ganma?

vareon

Wizard - Haruto managed to _not_ become a Phantom and awakened his magical powers instead.

I remember this because it was very cool.

WarRock

Oh right, I forgot about that aspect.

I think we should summarize each.

Rider 1 and 2 - cyborg kaijin Shocker was making
V3 - so it seems 1 and 2 turned him into a cyborg
X - the engine didn't originate from the bad guys as it was invented by his dad
Amazon - armlet which is a twin artifact of sorts
Stronger - same as 1 and 2 I think?
Skyrider - same as 1 and 2 as well?
Super 1 - I think the Rider form is based on martial arts?
ZX - same as 1 and 2 from what I read
Black - chosen by Golgom, has Kingstone in him
Black RX - Kingstone was destroyed, he was thrown away by Crisis to the Sun but because they are idiots and forgot he is the fucking BLACK SUN, the Kingstone not only was revived, but is now split into two
V3 helps 1 and 2 to fight Destron, gets to the verge of death. 1 and 2 turn him into a cyborg to not save him. He also had previously asked for it so he could get revenge on Destron.

X is transformed by his father that gets killed so his tech can't be used by the evil organization of the show.

Stronger is the same as Rider 1, but with a different organization.

Super-1 is a martial artist, yes. But before that he gets modified voluntarily so he can be part of the space exploration program from the (US?) government. Villains are space cyborgs he founds on the moon and kill the rest of the expedition he was in.

Skyrider is the same as #1 too.

Oh, yeah, and ZX. That depends if we're going with the OVA version or the Spirits version. But basically similar to Rider 2; gets modified and acts as a soldier for the villains, eventually turns into a hero thanks to his memories returning.

J I dunno, ZO is made the same way the monsters are (he was the assistant of the scientist that created the Neo Organisms). Shin is modified without knowing it thanks to his father lab partner, that also modifies himself and is the bad guy of the movie.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hibiki's one of the few Riders I don't recall having any connection to the villains, except in Decade where Oni could end up becoming Makamou or something like that.

vareon

Oh, yeah, and ZX. That depends if we're going with the OVA version or the Spirits version. But basically similar to Rider 2; gets modified and acts as a soldier for the villains, eventually turns into a hero thanks to his memories returning.

ZX's was hilarious. He was working for Badan until V3 stopped him and asked him to sit down, along with Riderman and Skyrider (I think) to watch a compilation video tape of Kamen Riders. Then he went "Oh shit I've been working for the wrong guys!" and helped the others in the end.

Spirits started as a fleshed out version of this but it got waaaaay to complicated.

NeonZ

Stronger differs from Rider 1 because he actually joins Black Satan and willing becomes a cyborg, rather than being kidnapped. It was all for revenge for a friend of his that had been killed by them though. So, after becoming a cyborg, then he turns against them.

As far as Super-1 goes, the martial arts enter because initially he couldn't trigger the transformation without external equipment (that gets destroyed when the villains attack). During the time the villains attack the space institute, he transforms by himself during a moment of tension, then goes to train martial arts to control that ability. Also, completely coincidentally, his first set of villains also are cyborg martial artists, from a school that rivals the one that trains Super-1.

Edit: You're remembering ZX wrong. He stops working for Badan after an accident where he recovers his memories pre-brainwashing. He does initially still think that the Riders are his enemies though, until getting that clip show.

Boss Doggie

that funco pop thread I made made me realize

...there's no toku-related pop outside of PR I take it? Kinda glad KR is saved by that.

Boss Doggie

ZX's was hilarious. He was working for Badan until V3 stopped him and asked him to sit down, along with Riderman and Skyrider (I think) to watch a compilation video tape of Kamen Riders. Then he went "Oh shit I've been working for the wrong guys!" and helped the others in the end.

Spirits started as a fleshed out version of this but it got waaaaay to complicated.

Wait seriously? Ahahahahaha!

Tiu Neo

Hey, Kenji Matsuda on the Decade's Hibiki episodes was actually him reprising his role, cool.

Is he KR's Kenji Ohba, or it's just Zanki on Hibiki/Decade and Jiro on Kiva?

Top Bottom