• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

NeonZ

I mean is it worse off than Kuuga by any margin in terms of the effects? Kuuga has some bad suits and action but phenomenal writing so I didn't mind it at all. Just figured I'd ask if they were about the same in terms of quality in that respect.

I actually think that as far as effects go Black might be better than Kuuga, since there's no horrible early CG. There are a couple of moments with primitive effects (like using a a ragdoll for a fall from a bridge), but they go very quickly. Black also had these organic looking monster suits that Toei has gotten very bad in creating recently. The few Black monster suits they've recreated in Decade and the recent movies all end up significantly worse than the originals, and I don't think any modern show has attempted to go for that organic looking monster style again. On the other hand, Black has stock footage sequences for the transformation and finishers, which might bother some people.

As far as the Wizard comparison goes... I don't think it's very far off - although the actual main plot is executed much better when it starts in Black. After Black's origin and debut the series meanders about for a while with random monsters of the week until the 10s, when it starts building up the main conflict of the series in the background of more monster of the week episodes. It's only in the middle 30s that the main conflict actually starts though and then that goes up to the ending of the show.

Tiu Neo

Slooooooowly finishing out Kuuga. Last 9 episodes left. Show kept a solid tone the whole way. Torn on what to watch next.

Thoughts on each series?

From those, I watched Black and Kiva, and I'm watching Hibiki.

Kiva has good support characters, some cool villains, the designs are good, and the soundtrack is awesome. The 86-"present" thing is cool, and the past section main character is awesome. The present story is kind of a mess after some time, imo, but it's still a cool series.

Black... It really depends on if you like 80s tokusatsu. It has a lot of the same problems most of the series at the time had (padding, filler, bad effects), but I like the story, and the main character x main enemy conflict is really cool. Support cast is meh. RX fixed that last problem, but I don't know if it was subbed.

Hibiki... I watched about one third of it up to now, and it's really different from most KR series. It's kinda clear this was supposed to be something else. Some things kinda drag, but I'd say it works for this series. Can't really say much more than that.

WarRock

Agito has a nice plot, and if you enjoyed Kuuga action, you are going to enjoy Agito's.

Also, read the Black manga. Globe trotting body horrors yay.

WarRock

RX has english subs over the brazilian dub, though I dunno where to find them. The subs aren't 100% accurate but are good enough from what I remember.

vareon

I actually think that as far as effects go Black might be better than Kuuga, since there's no horrible early CG. There are a couple of moments with primitive effects (like using a a ragdoll for a fall from a bridge), but they go very quickly. Black also had these organic looking monster suits that Toei has gotten very bad in creating recently. The few Black monster suits they've recreated in Decade and the recent movies all end up significantly worse than the originals, and I don't think any modern show has attempted to go for that organic looking monster style again. On the other hand, Black has stock footage sequences for the transformation and finishers, which might bother some people.

As far as the Wizard comparison goes... I don't think it's very far off - although the actual main plot is executed much better when it starts in Black. After Black's origin and debut the series meanders about for a while with random monsters of the week until the 10s, when it starts building up the main conflict of the series in the background of more monster of the week episodes. It's only in the middle 30s that the main conflict actually starts though and then that goes up to the ending of the show.

Yeah, Kuuga was the definition of budget production. Very minimal suit design, very simplistic grongi suits, etc. It was quite literally a higher budget J-Dorama.

LostAnkh

Slooooooowly finishing out Kuuga. Last 9 episodes left. Show kept a solid tone the whole way. Torn on what to watch next.

• Ryuki
  • Black
  • Agito
  • Kiva
  • Hibiki
  • Spectre

Thoughts on each series?
Ryuki - I didn't like as much, so it's down there with Den-O, Wizard, and Decade.
Black - Haven't seen all of it, but it's pretty good from what I've seen
Agito - Loved it, and I know you'll like it too. Let it be known that you'll be seeing more of Toshiki Inoue's work in this list.
Kiva - It's not that good of a series, but it does have some good moments.
Hibiki - You'll like the first half, the second half is very questionable since there were some staff changes that actually hurt the show. But it's got something special and that's why I enjoyed most of it.
Spectre - ???????????

Fair nuff. Seeing a lot of Agito. Whats the deal with it? Seeing some love for it and a little for Kiva so far. Ryuki to date always seems to be stated as "Rider War" and left at that. Never heard anyone say anything bout Hibiki ever cept something maybe bout the ending being a mess? Not sure...
Agito is Toshiki Inoue's magnum opus, and it just goes downhill for his other works (Faiz, part of Hibiki, and Kiva). Watch Agito, and you can see some similarities in the kind of characters and troupes that he implements in other Heisei Rider shows.

You might as well start a drinking game for every Inoue troupe.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Zyuohger was fun, but damn Tusk looks like he's about to cry everytime he's on screen.

I hope his acting improves as time goes by, he's the only one that sticks out a bit.

So... what are the chances of Yamato being actually a zyuman?

WarRock

Obviously his entire family is half Zyuman. Uncle is trying to discover what animal he is to this day.

That's why Yamato was saved by
his actual father

This is not a serious post.

Boss Doggie

Obviously his entire family is half Zyuman. Uncle is trying to discover what animal he is to this day.

That's why Yamato was saved by
his actual father

This is not a serious post.

we never did know who is his parents!

but then, what about gorilla? or is using other animal powers making him a chimera?

suddenly I wonder if TheWorld will be like Den-O, the zyumans are like imagin to him

javadoze

On a side note: Ultraman Ginga seems to have its opening replaced by Ginga no Uta (rights issues?). Good thing Ginga no Uta is just as good, if not better, than the opening.

Boss Doggie

Yeah I like Ginga no Uta more than the original opening. That's the music that plays during the fights right? The one with the choral "whoooa-whoaaa-whoaaa kagayake giiinga" right?

WarRock

I think you mean Tsuburaya... sorry , dont mean to be that guy.
Aw damn. I keep mistaking names those weeks. Wrote Geoff Johns instead of Geoff Keighley earlier.

we never did know who is his parents!

but then, what about gorilla? or is using other animal powers making him a chimera?

suddenly I wonder if TheWorld will be like Den-O, the zyumans are like imagin to him
Obviously half-zyumans have more than one animal because of their mixed DNA or something.

WarRock

Underworld Tomodachi 20
Igor doesn't care. And artists following the rules? Huh.

Alain, how Kanon could've contacted Takeru? Are you that dumb? Damn. And he is basically being the Killgrave of the friendship/bromance. Gentaro should give him a special handshake.

Necrom fight was cool even with the shitty ass editing and shaky cam; specially liked how the hoodies were fighting during the henshin scene.

Onari
getting defensive as soon as the Ganma came back made me chuckle.

Aaand, big plot twist right at the end. Looks like the
painter Ganma is goig to become a regular too? That would be surprising!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Kanon couldn't see the fight between Igor and Ghost, but then in the next scene she apparently could see Ghost---did I miss something?

I always assumed she could see them due to her exposure to the Ganma World.

javadoze

The full opening and ending for Zyuohger are out.

As such, there's additional animals for the ED. Despite that, the added animals are from what we already know about the show's future developments: Gorilla, Crocodile, Wolf, and Rhino. Sadly, not much Kyoryuger-esque foreshadowing with the cube animals here.

Tiu Neo

Ghost 20

Makoto is back!
Necrom fight was cool as hell, I wonder what was that power. Alain's sister looks like a good person/ganma.

Those twists at the ending. This next arc could be awesome.

And Ghost has it own Yatsudenwani now! (with Onari as his Ranru!)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Painter Ganma's annoying though, but I'm wondering if they're ballsy enough to have him end up being a plant to break Takeru down in the long run---his revival did feel pretty schlocky.

WarRock

That is what is going to happen, I guess. We didn't see Igor anymore (neither whatever his plan with the building was), so he probably revived the Ganma.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost 20

A recurring comic relief monster. Chances of him surviving to the end? Likely low.
Makoto's back! Along with him comes a major twist
And a twist on top of that with the old man. Now we're getting somewhere huge.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dino Super Charge 6

To everyone worried about the lack of explanations last time, don't worry we got them here. Essentially Tyler's dad was hunted by Fury for 10 years, and didn't go home to keep his family safe from him. Understandable.
I'm glad they addressed how Tyler & his dad look the same age.
Singe & Heckyl continue to be highlights.
"You walking carnival!" I see what you did there.

I don't remember all those form changes in the original Kyoryuger episode. At least it's not as long since they exclude all the dancing. Also, the synopsis for the next two episodes indicate that Dino Super Charge won't turn into the Tyler Show (next is a Koda episode, and the last episode before the pointless hiatus is an Ivan episode)

Did anyone notice Ivan had a different voice during the Megazord battle? Was that Davi's real voice left in by mistake? Odd oversight.

Slayven

So Shark-chan was the
Cynthia Rothroc
k of Zyuland.

How sound will that be forgotten.

Next episode GaoMuscle I mean Larry

Slayven

Another solid ep for Zyuohger.

Gorilla red looks hilarious.

In the best way

latest

ZyuOhger 04
Interestingly enough, the main point of contention between Sela and Leo wasn't quite resolved here. That means there might be a bit of an arc between them which is good news.

ZyuOhGorilla coming next week. It looks quite silly.

Top Bottom