• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

JLynn

The fiancée woke me up yesterday morning demanding to tell her everything about the show where a clip she was watching on repeat came from

It was a clip of Gokai Red going HAM while changing into every red ranger in chronological order.

A few hours later I showed her Gokaiger and from the first scene onward she called it the best show to come from Japan. Keep this in mind that before she was with me her only experience with anything Toku related was MMPR. It's very amusing to see someone new getting a kick out of it.

And looking at the episodes I gotta say this is probably the best Sentai season thus far.

WarRock

That was pretty much my reaction to Gokaiger too. First sentai I watched and last time I followed PR was... In Space? Not sure.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, so there's an actual gorilla zyuman?

Also I just realized that Chase's special form in the Battride game is from a V-Cinema that has yet to be released... and how come it's set in the later-middle of Drive rather than in Drive's epilogue?

NeonZ

Also I just realized that Chase's special form in the Battride game is from a V-Cinema that has yet to be released... and how come it's set in the later-middle of Drive rather than in Drive's epilogue?

Because they aren't going to resurrect Chase. Even his appearance in Ghost x Drive only takes place in an altered timeline.

javadoze

Because Chase
is deader than dead.

Which feels weird because I'm so used to some cheap excuses to bring back characters in epilogues and stuff.

...Looking at you, Gaim.

Tiu Neo

That was pretty much my reaction to Gokaiger too. First sentai I watched and last time I followed PR was... In Space? Not sure.

For me too. Gokaiger was the first sentai I've watched since Time Force (and In Space/ a bit of Lost Galaxy before that?). Only problem I had with that is that it didn't have an episode for the series I watched when I was a kid (Flashman, Changeman, Maskman and Goggle V :( )

NeonZ

Which feels weird because I'm so used to some cheap excuses to bring back characters in epilogues and stuff.

...Looking at you, Gaim.

That's the catch though. Gaim keeping most of its cast alive worked pretty well for its sequels - Full Throttle and Kamen Rider Knuckle were better than any of the midquels they've done.

Due to basically destroying everything at the end, Drive is basically stuck in its time period, with Ghost x Drive needing a bunch of excuses to get around the series finale and apparently it didn't review well.

The fiancée woke me up yesterday morning demanding to tell her everything about the show where a clip she was watching on repeat came from

It was a clip of Gokai Red going HAM while changing into every red ranger in chronological order.

A few hours later I showed her Gokaiger and from the first scene onward she called it the best show to come from Japan. Keep this in mind that before she was with me her only experience with anything Toku related was MMPR. It's very amusing to see someone new getting a kick out of it.

And looking at the episodes I gotta say this is probably the best Sentai season thus far.

It's really good, but when you strip out the callbacks, I think Kyoryuger is a stronger season.

WillyFive

Gokaiger is a perfect anniversary season; everything about it was a tour de force of joy and talent.

But I think Geki, Timeranger, Kyoryu, and Jetman beat it for top spot for me. Gokaiger is really good, but it doesn't quite have the complex and nuanced character stories that those shows have

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 4

Really good episode. A nice character focus on Sela and Leo, and it sets up an arc for the two of them rather than resolve it right in this episode. Digging into their characters too. Leo being chivalrous and Sela hating that.
Feels good to have good Sentai again after two years of "eh".

Next week:
There is no need to be upset

Gokaiger was amazing from start to finish. I think Basco is one of the top five best Sentai villains in my opinion.

WarRock

Zyuohger 4
Drinking wine while watching friends mount and pound each other for their lives? Wow, those villains...

Now someone explain why Yamato was so worried about they zyumans walking around with animal faces when he is flying around highways like it's everyday occurrence?

Digging the fight scenes, quite the amount of moves I never saw in sentai. Is the stunt coordinator new or something? Impressed that the whip sword isn't all CG too!

Loved this sequence:
e08q27D.jpg
LTNfFXL.jpg

ohI4Woq.jpg
aMHztig.jpg

Overall, the Sela x Leo dynamic worked very well and leaves us with at least one more episode about them. Good, good. Cube tea at the end :wow:

I think this is the best Mecha action in years. Forcing 2 team members to always be out really works.
Yeah, it is. The fact it's not always the same slow moving punches/sword swings and/or gimmicky projectiles followed by a finisher every time works. It's like early GoBus with a handful of Geki. Let's hope it keeps doing that as long as possible. And I just noticed how Cube Shark is grinning on the waist of the combined mech and that's hilarious.

Boss Doggie

I'm kinda disappointed that Sela's awakened instinct attack isn't the surfing shark move

Zyuohger 4Now someone explain why Yamato was so worried about they zyumans walking around with animal faces when he is flying around highways like it's everyday occurrence?

The public seem aware of Sentai teams, sometimes, so there's no real worry someone will spot you in your suit doing some mad Sentai stuff. But people you have to hang around with on a daily basis suddenly being spotted as animal people? Too much attention could come from that, especially negative attention that would prevent them from doing what they need to do.

Tiu Neo

Megaranger 6th is amazing.

Dairanger... eh, not liking Kou, to tell the truth. He's cool when he transforms, I guess.

Tiu Neo

Not many people seem to like Kou.

I can see why. Kibaranger fighting is entertaining, but everything Kou is... eh.

Zyuohger 04

...I'm liking this team. Every scene with uncle is a good scene too.

That backstory between Leo and Sela was kinda unexpected, for me. And using Tusk as a dog to search for them was... creative? I hope they continue using their individual powers like that.

The action scenes are as good, if not better than Ninninger. The mecha battles are also very good, again, even compared with early Ninninger. I hope it continues like that even the new cubes/5 cube formation/6th hits.

Now I want to see more Sela vs Leo.

...and that gorilla mode. Oh god.

JLynn

Gokaiger was amazing from start to finish. I think Basco is one of the top five best Sentai villains in my opinion.

You know what, I gotta agree. I love the oodles of backstory between him and Marvelous.

Gokaiger is a perfect anniversary season; everything about it was a tour de force of joy and talent.

But I think Geki, Timeranger, Kyoryu, and Jetman beat it for top spot for me. Gokaiger is really good, but it doesn't quite have the complex and nuanced character stories that those shows have

My fiancée fell in love with Geki Violet/Wolf Ranger, calling him the "Purple Ong-Bak Ranger". I don't have the heart to tell her about the bullshit Jungle Fury adaptation that's so readily available on Netflix so here I am looking for Gekiranger fansubs. Aside from the bullshit TVN version the other one is a dead torrent.

Bummer.

Suggestions?

It's really good, but when you strip out the callbacks, I think Kyoryuger is a stronger season.

I wasn't a big fan of Kyoryuger, but I agree with the rest of your statement. If the entire show was just about Gokai vs. Zangyack the season would have been somewhat dull overall.

WarRock

My fiancée fell in love with Geki Violet/Wolf Ranger, calling him the "Purple Ong-Bak Ranger". I don't have the heart to tell her about the bullshit Jungle Fury adaptation that's so readily available on Netflix so here I am looking for Gekiranger fansubs. Aside from the bullshit TVN version the other one is a dead torrent.

Bummer.

Suggestions?
There is only TVN or that one scrub with 2 subtitle tracks, one "usual" and one "fully translated" (team name, mech names, moves, etc). The scrub is available as sub files only too. Just search for GekiKnight Gekiranger scrubs. Pretty sure it's out there as DDL too.

Boss Doggie

I dunno, I like JF's take on Gekiranger. I mean you rarely see a "pretty cool guy" for a mentor.

Megaranger 6th is amazing.

Dairanger... eh, not liking Kou, to tell the truth. He's cool when he transforms, I guess.

kid rangers tend to suck I agree

WillyFive

Purple was the only decent part of JF. Outside of that, the whole show was all about doing Gekiranger in the most obnoxious and crass way possible.

javadoze

Wrestle Sentai Zyuohger 4

-Brutal MotW plot for this week. It's amazing just how better a show's villains can be when they're being evil just for their own amusement and not collecting *insert energy source here*.

-I liked the interactions between Leo and Sela this episode. Just like with Amu's episode last week, it doesn't quite exactly "resolve" their character flaws, but more or less introduces them to set them up for something later.

-Despite the episode focusing on Leo and Sela, this wasn't an excuse for the show to slack on the others seeing how Tusk, Yamato, and Mario had some funny scenes here as well.

-I burst out laughing at the post-credits scene this week.

CdDGSvmXIAEOY3s.jpg

BatDan

Ghost 21

We've got villain family drama! The Emperor suddenly going against the Ganma way telling Alain to "look into his heart". Looks like the events of the next episode will be the catalyst of his Face Turn.
I suspect the Sage is planning to destroy the Ganma from the inside, by using Igor and the Eyecons. I mean, he's using Takeru to gather the Eyecons for a reason.
Hmmm...

Boss Doggie

I'm still laughing at the random friend in Zooger 4. Seriously he didn't even hesitate to punch his friend!

BatDan

Ghost Legendary Rider Souls 3

Lord Baron! Another rare instance where Over-Time subs something Gaim related.

Ghost Legendary Riders Souls 4

It's Space Time once again! Anything Fourze related is great. Though I do think Takeru should have gotten the Fourze Eyecon since he's all about that friendship

vareon

Ghost 21

We've got villain family drama! The Emperor suddenly going against the Ganma way telling Alain to "look into his heart". Looks like the events of the next episode will be the catalyst of his Face Turn.
I suspect the Sage is planning to destroy the Ganma from the inside, by using Igor and the Eyecons. I mean, he's using Takeru to gather the Eyecons for a reason.
Hmmm...

Read this impression, and remember the premise of Ghost: Tenkuuji Takeru dies, temporarily revived and needed to gather the spirit of 15 "heroes" in 99 days or he'd be back dead.

I think that's why I felt a disconnect with Ghost, its themes are all over the place. The heroic spirits are just there, and Takeru's fascination with them were only brought up if it involves them. The second "collect the eyecons and get back to life" arc (weird enough as it is) is forgotten until the next convenient moment. Ganmas started from monsters with real world motif (parallel to the legendary heroes) and now they're beings from a parallel world with its own politics and intrigues.

delSai

Ghost 21
Igor continues to be cool, Painter Ganma got enough time and is starting to annoy me, we already have Onari as a comedy character but i guess Cubi will never show up again anyway now that he helped out Takeru.
I hope the next episodes will be better. I didn't enjoy 20 and 21 that much.

I'm almost done with OOO, man the characters are amazing. Any recommendations on what to watch next? I've my eyes on Wizard and Den-O.

JLynn

I dunno, I like JF's take on Gekiranger. I mean you rarely see a "pretty cool guy" for a mentor.

kid rangers tend to suck I agree

A "pretty cool guy" for a mentor does not a show make. The rangers have no chemistry together, and Casey was the most whiney, unworthy main hero this side of Raiden. And the fact the show was produced during the infamous writer's strike didn't help it at all.

And don't get me started on Flit.

Sou Da

Ghost 21
Igor continues to be cool, Painter Ganma got enough time and is starting to annoy me, we already have Onari as a comedy character but i guess Cubi will never show up again anyway now that he helped out Takeru.
I hope the next episodes will be better. I didn't enjoy 20 and 21 that much.

I'm almost done with OOO, man the characters are amazing. Any recommendations on what to watch next? I've my eyes on Wizard and Den-O.
Wizard is amazing, go for it :^)

Top Bottom