• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Im just proud of the fact they had a gorilla character and didn't make him speak like a black person. #progress

Im just proud of the fact they had a gorilla character and didn't make him speak like a black person. #progress

Agreed. Still can't stand the "YOU-tachi" verbal tick, though.

Edit about ZyuOh:
Apparently that first MOTW was also a Team Leader like Azald and Kubar. He was in the first episode's version of the OP.

WillyFive

I'm starting to think that these villains are just Warstar 2.0, rather than the real threat. They have no connection to the Zyuohger and now
a general dies very early.

Villains having connections to the heroes is not a Sentai trope. It's a Kamen Rider one.

NeonZ

Villains having connections to the heroes is not a Sentai trope. It's a Kamen Rider one.

Kamen Rider's trope is the Rider's origin being tied or similar to the villains somehow, not just a "connection".

Villains having a connection to the hero is pretty much obligatory in modern Sentai, like their predecessors having faced them (Ninninger, Shinkenger) or the villains have attacked the heroes or their allies since their backstory (Gokai, Go-Busters, Kyoryuger). Random invaders completely unrelated to the heroes before episode 1 are pretty rare. The last one being the enemy groups in Goseiger, although the final boss actually had connections to them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Talking about villain change, why did PR Lost Galaxy's villains change mid-season?

LG didn't get a villain change.

LG's main villain were original. The Sentai villain was the pirate dude. They had to incorporate him somehow so they had the Lost Galaxy arc where Terra Venture was trapped into the Lost Galaxy dimension where he was the main villain. Shenanigans ensue. They defeat him, Terra Venture escaped, and the pirate villain was beaten by LG's original villain.

Pluto

LG didn't get a villain change.

LG's main villain were original. The Sentai villain was the pirate dude. They had to incorporate him somehow so they had the Lost Galaxy arc where Terra Venture was trapped into the Lost Galaxy dimension where he was the main villain. Shenanigans ensue. They defeat him, Terra Venture escaped, and the pirate villain was beaten by LG's original villain.
I thought he was talking about Scorpius who was the main villain at the start and was then killed off easier than a MOTW, he didn't even get to grow or assume a new form.
I always assumed the reason for that was because Scorpius was just a sack lying on crates, he looked like an alien (probably the most alien looking villain PR ever had) but he couldn't even move, you could almost see the stage hands waiting to wheel him off screen agter his scene was done.

Boss Doggie

Oh that, I thought he was referring to the Pirate, since even with Scorpius dying the faction is still the same.

Pluto

Maybe he is, the pirates took over as main villains for a few episodes ... that was weird thinking about it. I know they did it to be able to use more sentai footage but it's still weird to have a guest main villain.

Nudull

Banned
You know, feeling curious about Kamen Rider Decade and its apparent divisiveness, I looked up the show's premise out of curiosity.

...I don't know whether to clap at Toei's ballsiness or laugh my ass off.

You know, feeling curious about Kamen Rider Decade and its apparent divisiveness, I looked up the show's premise out of curiosity.

I mean, Toei definitely could've delivered on that premise. They just didn't.

Tiu Neo

I think it could have worked, really. But it needed better actor for Tsukasa and a complete rewrite for Natsumi. Give Kivala some use IN the series, too, while you're at it. Oh, and an ending. Yeah, that would be good.

And let's not talk about the Amazon episodes.

Don't forget not embarrassing Kuuga's name by having his AR equivalent be a lousy comic relief that doesn't even remember to transform most of the time. Decade had a lot of potential but was messed up by inconsistencies and a short runtime caused by the show being used as a stopgap to change what part of the year Rider premieres in.

Tiu Neo

Don't forget not embarrassing Kuuga's name by having his AR equivalent be a lousy comic relief that doesn't even remember to transform most of the time. Decade had a lot of potential but was messed up by inconsistencies and a short runtime caused by the show being used as a stopgap to change what part of the year Rider premieres in.

Oh yeah, that too. I liked Yuusuke, but didn't like what they did to him. And those Kiva episodes. At least they fixed that a bit, later, on the Nega world.

...OK, the show premise was good, but a lot would have to be changed for it to work.

Tiu Neo

At least, the brought back the Sohto (Spider Fangire) into the Kiva episodes.

Yes, and those 2 minutes were the good part of those episodes. It could be better if they used an adult Wataru, but I guess the actor wasn't available for them, since he did only a few small cameos...

Yes, and those 2 minutes were the good part of those episodes. It could be better if they used an adult Wataru, but I guess the actor wasn't available for them, since he did only a few small cameos...

That was weird when I watch those episodes. I was expecting a lot more, but I'm happy with what I got.

Oh yeah, that too. I liked Yuusuke, but didn't like what they did to him. And those Kiva episodes. At least they fixed that a bit, later, on the Nega world.

...OK, the show premise was good, but a lot would have to be changed for it to work.

Ryouta Murai can be a very charming actor, as seen in After V. Really, his talent was a bit wasted. I'm glad I at least got to see him in another toku (one that's thriving at that).

NeonZ

The ironic thing is that Onodera likely was treated like that because the writers didn't like the concept of AR replacements, and so sidelined him as much as they could. It's very noticeable too that his stretches where he doesn't transform are under specific writers. For example, while Sho Aikawa remained the main writer, he never transformed into Kuuga after the Kiva World. Inoue also never used him as Kuuga and generally just had excuses to get him out of the way in his four episodes (Nega and Diend).

When Yonemura completely takes over near the ending, he transforms in every arc, although it's too little and too late.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Decade sounds like an overall mess. Too many cooks, changing producers, a bad idea from the start (the AU Riders). Seems Toei learned their lesson with Gokaiger two years later since that was way more successful.
Maybe for the Fall 2018 series they'll try something like Decade again, only good and with more planning.

Decade sounds like an overall mess. Too many cooks, changing producers, a bad idea from the start (the AU Riders). Seems Toei learned their lesson with Gokaiger two years later since that was way more successful.
Maybe for the Fall 2018 series they'll try something like Decade again, only good and with more planning.

It was a mess.

WarRock

I think it could have worked, really. But it needed better actor for Tsukasa and a complete rewrite for Natsumi. Give Kivala some use IN the series, too, while you're at it. Oh, and an ending. Yeah, that would be good.

And let's not talk about the Amazon episodes.
Going to disagree. The actor was fine. But he had no character to act.

"Be smug as fuck for no reason" "now be naive and confused"

Slayven

Decade, man we started so hopeful. Then it just ended up being about nothing. And when you compare it to Gokaiger, it just comes off as borderline embarrassing.

Still better than Wizard

Akibared

All this Decade talk reminds me that the Gackt cameo in the movie is what got me interested in Kamen Rider. My buddy suggested that I start with Kabuto and I instantly fell in love.

Boss Doggie

What was the cause of the problem anyway? Multiple writers? Writers not knowing what to do?

Also Zooger 5 is out, FUCK YEAH LARRY JOESTAR

Boss Doggie

uejzPPC.jpg

why is a zyuman speaking in spanish

Boss Doggie

Yeah, Inoue is a good actor, it's just he wasn't given a good character to act with.

It's like they don't know what to do with Decade.

vareon

AU riders were a cool workaround to circumvent the obvious problems Toei faced regarding returning actors. Plus it was reinforced by the actual Kurenai Wataru from the start! It really shouldn't go wrong. Except it did when writers decided to "screw everything, let's have the adventures of Tsukasa Kadoya on random worlds instead" after the 9 worlds.

It still has the best fight choreography though. Well second best after Kabuto.
yay TVN subs

Boss Doggie

AU riders were a cool workaround to circumvent the obvious problems Toei faced regarding returning actors. Plus it was reinforced by the actual Kurenai Wataru from the start! It really shouldn't go wrong. Except it did when writers decided to "screw everything, let's have the adventures of Tsukasa Kadoya on random worlds instead" after the 9 worlds.

It still has the best fight choreography though. Well second best after Kabuto.

man that stilted sentence still bugs me

"You, who's unable to clock up, are no match for me."

Oh hey, that's the Sonozaki Basement/Ganma HQ meeting room

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 5

We MagiGreen now!
Larry is awesome, I hope we see more of *sees preview* Ooooh. Maybe this will be thing with other members, they'll get additional powers from other Zyuman left on Earth. Probably won't but it would be awesome.
Another general killed off so quickly. I do agree with the sentiment that the Deathgaliens are Warstar 2.0, and we'll likely get more factions leading into a big reveal. At least Zyuohger is a better show than Goseiger so far.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I really hate the designs of like everything in Zyuohger---especially everything about Yellow be it human or animal---but I gotta say the villains are really neat looking, remind me of Smithy's Gang from Super Mario RPG with the weapon-motif.

I also have to say Episode 4 was surprisingly fun, and I'm looking forward to Episode 5---the gorilla costume looks way better than the animal suits used for the main characters but I guess that's because a humanoid gorilla makes more sense.

NeonZ

AU riders were a cool workaround to circumvent the obvious problems Toei faced regarding returning actors.

They could just have gone for suit-only Riders for the ones that they couldn't bring back. The issue with the AU Riders set up is that it meant they brought back less guests than they would otherwise, since they set out to have new AU actor for every single one of the main Heisei Riders. You can see that the amount of returning actors immediately increases once the 9 Worlds arc ends, because they didn't stick with the recasting rule afterwards, so there was the disaster that was Amazon, but Black/Black RX, the Blade movie crew, Nega Otoya and Blade King kept their original actors.

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger 05

AMIGOS! Yamato trying to befriend the Gorilla was fun.

Oh god, that ZyuOh Gorilla suit. It's so ridiculous. I love it.

Another leader dead. I wonder if they'll come back, or there is something more to it. There are not many remaining, already.

Top Bottom