• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

vareon

Small communities on Gaf tend to be much more even handed than the internet at large. It's a mess out there.

Are people really doing the 'they screwed up Kamen Rider' thing again? This is a sequel to Amazon and it absolutely looks like a modern Amazon. I assume people doing that haven't seen anything outside of the Heisei era.

Complaints include "too mechanical for Amazon" but I kinda get the feeling that that's the point.

Though I'd kill to have Takayuki Takeya or Keita Amemiya design a Rider again.

Tiu Neo

The Amazon trailer looks good, pretty brutal.

Ok, it's decided, after I finish what I'm watching now, Amazon it is.

Voror

Amazons definitely looks interesting though I've never seen the original.

Trying to get back on Kamen Rider since I sort of fell off after Gaim ended. Thinking I might go back over some of the series I never got to before like OOO.

Has Ghost been any good thus far?

WarRock

Amazon confirmed for head ripping AND head biting? Damn.

To be honest, that is one show/Rider I really wanted to see modernized since the original is all over the place. Now, if we could get a Shin or Gills cameo...

So is this Amazon net series part of the 45th anniversary celebration? I'm just curious as to why they chose Amazon over other Showa riders.

Amazon probably funded it to beef up its original content offerings on Amazon Prime. Amazon, Netflix, and others have slowly been doing that over the past few years.

Trailer for Amazons is out!

Also, I stand corrected, it seems they do use the belts to transform (though the bracelet is still there).

So it looks like Amazon Omega will have a feral form before he gets to the final suit.

Otherwise, damn. That looks pretty good. Splitting the line between Kamen Rider and something like Garo.

NeonZ

Can't wait to see what they'll do for sentai. Any moment now, right? Right?

Toei's take on a Sentai for adults was Akibaranger. I don't think they'll attempt to push a "serious and dark Sentai" concept, unless the new Power Rangers movie somehow is very successful in Japan.

Tiu Neo

Ultraman IMO. A spiritual successor to Nexus.

I watched one or two Ultraman series when I was younger and Toku was all the rage here. I remember watching the classic one, and one with purple details, back then. Giant battles are the worst part of sentai, imo, but maybe it's just because they don't really focus on that.

Maybe someday I'll watch one or other again.

Toei's take on a Sentai for adults was Akibaranger. I don't think they'll attempt to push a "serious and dark Sentai" concept, unless the new Power Rangers movie somehow is very successful in Japan.

Nah, I'm ok with Akibaranger being Sentai for adults. What I wanted to say was that, for the year of Super Heroes, this is kinda one sided up to now.

(That and Sentai is at it's best when it's a mix between serious and silly, imo)

vareon

Ultraman IMO. A spiritual successor to Nexus.

Ultra Seven X existed and it was....forgettable....to say the least.

Also LMAO at Shirakura's comments on the press release. "Do you think current Kamen Rider is interesting? I don't think so". I'd love to see what he actually said in Japanese.

Pluto

Akibaranger was fun but it was a show about fans as much as it was a sentai. It also parodied some tropes, called out others and acknokledged sentai as a tv franchise.

I would love if Toei did a serious amazon sentai, why not? A new take on Goranger or JAKQ is more likely to be serious and dark than it would ne lighthearted and fun. Those shows were pretty brutal with their liberal use of real guns being used against humans.

Faiz

Ultra Seven X existed and it was....forgettable....to say the least.

Also LMAO at Shirakura's comments on the press release. "Do you think current Kamen Rider is interesting? I don't think so". I'd love to see what he actually said in Japanese.

Seven X did not exist.

but it was still better than X

Nudull

Banned
So I've been listening to some of the Tokusatsu Network's podcasts and went to the Ninninger episode.

Apparently, the show's production staff created a general story, then, at certain junctures, created a number of options for the story to develop into. So in general, they were deciding the plot like a choose-your-own-adventure book.

Definitely explains why Ninninger felt so uneven with its story.

And I think halfway through the head of the staff was fired?

Damn, Ninninger got that dire? Good thing I waited until Zyuohger to jump into SS.

WillyFive

So I've been listening to some of the Tokusatsu Network's podcasts and went to the Ninninger episode.

Apparently, the show's production staff created a general story, then, at certain junctures, created a number of options for the story to develop into. So in general, they were deciding the plot like a choose-your-own-adventure book.

Nice, I didn't know that site offered podcasts.

Ninninger was so lame, though; the 3rd ninja series and yet the least unique of them all. It's so bland.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

that sounds like a general toku method though. many shows feel like they junction off at points away from initial plots

ReiGun

I like the Amazons designs, but the material isn't working for me. It's too much like armor, when Amazon is supposed to be a mutation into another creature. Perhaps there is a plot reason for that, but for right now, meh.

Nudull

Banned
I like the Amazons designs, but the material isn't working for me. It's too much like armor, when Amazon is supposed to be a mutation into another creature. Perhaps there is a plot reason for that, but for right now, meh.

Can't be helped, I suppose. I don't think Toei would want another Shin.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It was pretty good, and the last boss was the best thing I seen in toku not named Garo
I recommend the show. There is a lot of good moments and the kaijus are pretty good.

But Faiz said it's bad, or am I missing a joke

Taro Kobayashi is doing the OP to Amazons. The song is called 'Armour Zones'.

Word puns.

Hell, Amazons is being shown in Amazon Prime.

What are the chances that is his super mode lol

NeonZ

And I think halfway through the head of the staff was fired?
Nah, that didn't happen.

At the very least, Omega likely is meant to look armored, since his transformation has been modified by that equipment that he uses.

Trying to get back on Kamen Rider since I sort of fell off after Gaim ended. Thinking I might go back over some of the series I never got to before like OOO.

OOO is a good choice.

I like Ghost quite a bit at the moment, but if you plan to watch it, beware the first 8-10 episodes are not very good. It gets better after that.

Kamen Rider's been Metal Heroes for awhile now so whatever. I do wish the design was more like Black with organic muscles poking out from the joints.

OOO is a good choice and Ghost is pretty good so far.

WarRock

Can't wait to see what they'll do for sentai. Any moment now, right? Right?
Akib--

Yeah. I'm very glad we got two seasons of Akibaranger, and even more glad they didn't push for a third one.

WillyFive

To be honest, I think Akibaranger is going to be a lot better at being a good story and funny than I think Amazons will be at being a good story and serious.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dino Super Charge 7

Alright episode. The Vivik training montage was the highlight.
Kind of hard to place the moral. Don't live vicariously through your friends? *shrugs*

WarRock

First episode of the second season automatically makes anything in that season not that bad.

I mean, holy shit that whole in universe meta retcon.

WillyFive

Akibaranger S2 was some next level narrative stuff.

I was initially disappointed when the first episode was a long clip show, until I started to realize like 20 minutes in that it was all new stuff and my mind was blown....no other show would ever try something that subtle and so bold.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that "is Goku a superhero" thread...

Sucks that for people, they think Japan has no concept of superhero, or that "anime characters" are superheroes, forgetting that Japan has a concept of superheroes and it is generally seen as tokusatsu

Faiz

that "is Goku a superhero" thread...

Sucks that for people, they think Japan has no concept of superhero, or that "anime characters" are superheroes, forgetting that Japan has a concept of superheroes and it is generally seen as tokusatsu

I can't really blame them tbh. It's a long running misconception. I remember a n article in either Animerica or Protoculture like 20 years ago that basically parroted the whole "Japan has no concept of super heros" bit. I'm surprised it hasn't completely died yet given how big Power Rangers has been in NA since the 90s, but I just take it for granted at this point.

Top Bottom